DirectX Issues

Logdotzip

Nvm, just getting this comp now http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/2634096.p?id=1218341074379&skuId=2634096

[spoiler=Original Problem]Having some issues with DirectX when playing RuneScape... Screen looks like this during gameplay

d5e51cd6f6ef79248851a46471795dac.png

4529cd0b9812f43656bf368843771f21.png

As you can see, discolorations, Stretched/Compressed Text/interfaces, lines through menus, etc.

[spoiler=Specs + Laptop Information]

8d4a658a18af53879fc6417217a5449c.png

NVIDIA GeForce GT525M Graphics Chip

e27f9c7ccb08d688dae31388ee868b9f.pnga992a091d73782f72d798139d991230a.png

99af1ced829ff83185605a5e088f95d4.png51129c97f96543553f9319933fe062b2.png

If theres any info missing, here is the product page with a link to the specs http://www.samsung.c.../NP-RC512-S01US

I just bought it yesterday, the laptop itself is pretty new on the market, but all drivers and Key windows updates are up to date, as far as I can tell.

RS on OpenGL works fine, but is much laggier than DirectX, and I would prefer to use DirectX if at all possible.

I fail to see any graphical faults in that screenshoot other than slightly distorted text which generally can be fixed by changing the anti-aliasing settings and/or is a sign of wrongly proportioned screen res (eg using a 16:8 res on a 4:3 monitor)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I fail to see any graphical faults in that screenshoot other than slightly distorted text which generally can be fixed by changing the anti-aliasing settings and/or is a sign of wrongly proportioned screen res (eg using a 16:8 res on a 4:3 monitor)

I fail to see how you fail to see anything wrong with that image.

Anti-aliasing settings, as far as I know and have experienced prior, have never affected text / interfaces, only the actual graphics in the world. It shouldn't be doing what it's doing.

My screen res is perfectly fine, 16:9 @ 1366x768

Another Screenshot

4529cd0b9812f43656bf368843771f21.png

Ok there are boxes in that second shot; but there is nothing other than the blurry text in the first shot and just an fyi; your graphics driver itself will have anti-aliasing settings which WILL affect the text, the in-game settings aren't the only settings that exist that can affect the image displayed.

As for the boxing in the second picture:

1) Check for updates to divx, your graphics drivers and java. Java and divx both had updates very recently.

2) Delete the rs cache forcing it to entirely reload; it could be a corrupted file.

3) Completely uninstall and reinstall divx and java.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

OpenGL works perfectly fine.

DirectX also fixes distortion when I turn off Anti-aliasing in the RS options. Problem is RS is ugly as s*** without AA on. The old laptop, which is inferior to this new one, could do DirectX with AA on 4x and haveno distortion.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Java did nothing, and my drivers are up to date. So I'm quite confused.

I went into my graphics cards settings and put everything to it's defaults, as well as attempted to turn off it's own smoothing capabilities, to no avail.

Logdotzip, do you have any issues when you set RuneScape's AA to 2x? I don't know for sure, but knowing this might help point to where the fault is. :-k

~D. V. "Maybe you can get some partial smoothing?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Yeah I meant directx. divx update popped up as I was typing that last reply so got my d---x's muddled

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Thinking about it I don't think there is really a way to uninstall directx, and doing so would cause more issues that it may solve.

You can make sure it is up-to-date though:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

That is the latest updater for direct x

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It seems I'm not the only person to have trouble seeing anything wrong in the pictures. As Sy said, the text is slightly (very slightly) odd in the first picture, and there are some boxes on the log-in screen, but apart from that it looks to be fine. This leads me to think it could be something to do with your monitor/screen somehow. Although I'm not sure how to do anything, it would definitely explain why only you can see the error.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It seems I'm not the only person to have trouble seeing anything wrong in the pictures. As Sy said, the text is slightly (very slightly) odd in the first picture, and there are some boxes on the log-in screen, but apart from that it looks to be fine. This leads me to think it could be something to do with your monitor/screen somehow. Although I'm not sure how to do anything, it would definitely explain why only you can see the error.

If something was wrong with the actual monitor itself I don't think it would show up on a print screen picture. Maybe there's a fault with your cables?

Edit: A GT525M is a laptop graphics card right? Maybe the screen on your laptop is coming loose which has loosened cables and caused the strange screen effects? Just a guess and I don't know how you would check it. :unsure:

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Anyone else have any clue, or a place I could ask instead?

Have you sent in a Bug Report to Jagex at the RuneScape website? It is looking more and more like the problem is theirs. :huh:

~D. V. "This might not be your fault..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I'm wondering if you did actually clear the rs cache folder in case of corruption?

After all I did advise that plus updating direct x and graphics drivers and you said you tried it all yet a few posts later you posted info that clearly showed you're graphics drivers were out of date and thus you hadn't actually tried the advice.

Also it's not gonna be a problem jagex's end; it's too obscure. Worst case it's gonna be your system having minor incompatibles and thus unable to run that graphics mode correctly.

Plv6Dz6.jpg