Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Return of the wildy/free trade-do you regret your vote?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Wessan
I do not regret a thing.

wessan.png

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I voted against because of what is happening atm. Tnx to all who voted yes =D> :thumbdown:

What exactly is happening that is so terrible?

Gold farmer spam? - Not too different from Merch clan spam

Bots? - What else is new? :rolleyes: people seem to forget how many were in restricted trade

Pking/Staking/gift-giving/W2/no more price manipulation - Sounds like an improvement to me compared to the days of restricted trade

I miss anything?

eee
[ Display Name History ]

eee

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 121 posts

I voted against because of what is happening atm. Tnx to all who voted yes =D> :thumbdown:

The poll was a promotional stunt. Jagex already intended to remove trade limits because they can better handle the legal issues with stolen credit cards being used to run gold farming operations.

AresArtemis
[ Display Name History ]

AresArtemis

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:ares artemis

Bots? - What else is new? :rolleyes: people seem to forget how many were in restricted trade

Pking/Staking/gift-giving/W2/no more price manipulation - Sounds like an improvement to me compared to the days of restricted trade

I miss anything?

I dont pk, stake, give gifts, there is still price manipulation and trading on w2 is alot like spamming, thats why I like the ge.

Metaform
[ Display Name History ]

Metaform

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • RSN:Metaform

I miss anything?

This, so very much.

People botted in " ye ancient tymes " too, although I don't recall selling gold as an issue for many games in the dark ages. The merch clan spam was just as annoying as gold sellers, dice games, flower games, money double scams are today; just as annoying as people spamming random letters and junk messages in the dark ages trade hubs. Fally bank and park, or Varrock castle garden anyone? :shame:

Granted there are more of some of these today, specifically the bots (or are they just more visible?), but what can you expect? More people playing, more people with the time and skills to write the bots, or pay for them, and of course the laziness, lack of time, or whatever reason they have for botting. I'm hardly surprised this "happened" as so many people put it.

As for the topic, I would have voted yes if I had returned in time to vote, as I see the trade limit and what not as a band-aid fix for their legal troubles, and not a real solution. Think of the " barb wire eye wash " in post 9/11 America. Looks real nice, but is it helping things? Really? (at least they did get around the credit card legal issues in the end)

I would still vote yes today, too. ;)

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts
  • RSN:Ms Julie

I voted against it, so no. I knew exactly what would happen.

This.
It doesn't actually matter though. The whole voting thing was nothing but a charade. Jagex had planned to return it long before that, since it took them mere weeks to actually do it (and it takes a lot more time than that).

Personally I hate the wilderness with pkers. I don't pk and don't want others to try and kill me. They never actually succeed (so far), but I despise the fact that I have to "flee" people when going about my business.

" ye ancient tymes "

You just raped OE.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Tip.It Website Crew Leader
Quotes

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

I miss anything?

I dont pk, stake, give gifts, there is still price manipulation and trading on w2 is alot like spamming, thats why I like the ge.

What prices are being manipulated artificially?

If I buy out mass amounts of crap on the GE and raise the price people arent bound to buy things at the price I raised it to like before. That and the artificial shortages and surpluses caused whenever there is a fluctuation in demand are reason enough for me that now is better then before.

However I dont see what you get from taking away freedom from everyone else. Yeah there is more gold spammers then Merch clan spammers but the problem still exists either way. Same with botting, more now but still plenty back then.

This is synonymous to prohibition irl. Restricting alcohol created a lot of problems, such as gangs, smuggling, waste of resources to fight it, etc. Ending prohibition had its own problems but the affects of alcohol were ultimately seen as less destructive to a society then the affects of banning it. I say the same with runescape, which is why i voted "Yes."

tl;dr botting and spamming is worse now then before however it doesnt justify the affects of restricted trade. Care to argue this?

Merre
[ Display Name History ]

Merre

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Clan:ANTI COE
I voted no.

First: because I don't pk and don't wanna get killed by greedy persons when I'm runecrafting or digging clues.

Second: because I don't like bots at all. I report dozens of them every day I play (and see the same botters every day, without them being removed from the game).
And no matter what people say, I've been playing RS for like 8 years now and the bot problem was alot smaller when free trade got removed. People then botted XP wise to gain skillcapes they don't deserve, but nothing actually influenced the RS economy that much as it does today.
People who say the bot problem was always there are either drunk or stoned or ignorant or lying. No offence, but it's nearly impossible now to do a slayer task on lucrative monsters unless you visit Kuradal, but only high players have that luck. I feel sorry for the newcomers trying to level their skills/cb nowadays.

Third: Also because hacking and luring are common like never before. First I got lured into wildy and got my red h'ween mask ripped and then 6 weeks ago, I got hacked by a friend losing over 500mil in cash and items.
Three years of online chatting, duo skilling and messing around and the guy suddenly sent me a hidden keylogger via MSN & hacked me overnight.
Thx alot Jagex! Luckily I'm not the begging/complaining type of guy. I just restarted playing like a madman and have gotten 20% of my original wealth back in two months.

Anyway I don't know why people say "My one vote wouldn't have changed a thing against all the 'yes'-voters"
Omg, then please never participate in elections in real life either. *ignorance is a bless*

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts

tl;dr botting and spamming is worse now then before however it doesnt justify the affects of restricted trade. Care to argue this?

Effects.
Eh, having ignored most of the bot threads/rants and whatnot, why would the idiotic amount of botting and spamming not justify the effects of restricted trade?

Also, why can't we have worlds with the "old new wilderness" in it? I don't like pkers. <_<
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quotes

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

I voted no.

First: because I don't pk and don't wanna get killed by greedy persons when I'm runecrafting or digging clues.

Second: because I don't like bots at all. I report dozens of them every day I play (and see the same botters every day, without them being removed from the game).
And no matter what people say, I've been playing RS for like 8 years now and the bot problem was alot smaller when free trade got removed. People then botted XP wise to gain skillcapes they don't deserve, but nothing actually influenced the RS economy that much as it does today.
People who say the bot problem was always there are either drunk or stoned or ignorant or lying. No offence, but it's nearly impossible now to do a slayer task on lucrative monsters unless you visit Kuradal, but only high players have that luck. I feel sorry for the newcomers trying to level their skills/cb nowadays.

Third: Also because hacking and luring are common like never before. First I got lured into wildy and got my red h'ween mask ripped and then 6 weeks ago, I got hacked by a friend losing over 500mil in cash and items.
Three years of online chatting, duo skilling and messing around and the guy suddenly sent me a hidden keylogger via MSN & hacked me overnight.
Thx alot Jagex! Luckily I'm not the begging/complaining type of guy. I just restarted playing like a madman and have gotten 20% of my original wealth back in two months.

Anyway I don't know why people say "My one vote wouldn't have changed a thing against all the 'yes'-voters"
Omg, then please never participate in elections in real life either. *ignorance is a bless*

First: Its entirely possible you will grow to love staking in a year of two and you might change your mind here. Regardless, sure is nice being able to buy things at any given time at non ridiculous prices huh.

Second: Implying that bots weren't everywhere in restircted trade

Third: Fair enough, price of freedom is that you need to pay attention and secure your account. Getting scammed or hacked teaches a good life lesson, maybe by getting hacked/scammed in-game it might save you from identity theft in the future.

Effects.
Eh, having ignored most of the bot threads/rants and whatnot, why would the idiotic amount of botting and spamming not justify the effects of restricted trade?

Also, why can't we have worlds with the "old new wilderness" in it? I don't like pkers. <_<

Wilderness was never meant to be safe, just because Jagex failed to make rev's as dangerous as pkers doesnt mean you should use it as an excuse for safe wilderness. On a side note though the wilderness is dead empty on 90% of the worlds anyways so its not like you will be getting messed with by pkers normally anyways, and go back to the old days of logging out upon seeing a white dot

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts

Effects.

Wilderness was never meant to be safe, just because Jagex failed to make rev's as dangerous as pkers doesnt mean you should use it as an excuse for safe wilderness. On a side note though the wilderness is dead empty on 90% of the worlds anyways so its not like you will be getting messed with by pkers normally anyways, and go back to the old days of logging out upon seeing a white dot

It's a game, and they've had the wilderness that way for years. I don't give a cabbage about whether or not they meant for revs to be as dangerous as pkers, to be honest. I want to have the choice to do treasure trails and such without having others bug me. Just as you want to have the ability to kill other players and other players want to kill you, there is (probably a minority) group of players that don't want that. I don't want to have to go out of my way to avoid pkers, who do roam the "emptier" worlds, as they used to.

Personally I hate the wilderness with pkers. I don't pk and don't want others to try and kill me. They never actually succeed (so far), but I despise the fact that I have to "flee" people when going about my business.

Anyhow, what was so terrible about the trade restrictions that makes the current amount of bots and rwt crap an improvement? Personally I don't see it. You can argue there were bots before, but like this? I don't even have my public chat on anymore.

Not to mention the swarms of bots at turoths, fishing spots, yews and whatnot. It seems bots more than quadrupled.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quotes

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

It's a game, and they've had the wilderness that way for years. I don't give a cabbage about whether or not they meant for revs to be as dangerous as pkers, to be honest. I want to have the choice to do treasure trails and such without having others bug me. Just as you want to have the ability to kill other players and other players want to kill you, there is (probably a minority) group of players that don't want that. I don't want to have to go out of my way to avoid pkers, who do roam the "emptier" worlds, as they used to.

You never had a choice, Jagex had always meant for the wilderness to be dangerous. Sorry you got used to revs but it was meant to have pkers as the risk vs. reward factor for clue scrolls and other things. Sorry you want it easy but that defeats the purpose of risk vs. reward.

Anyhow, what was so terrible about the trade restrictions that makes the current amount of bots and rwt crap an improvement? Personally I don't see it. You can argue there were bots before, but like this? I don't even have my public chat on anymore.

Not to mention the swarms of bots at turoths, fishing spots, yews and whatnot. It seems bots more than quadripled.

Not being able to play the game you want is much worse then annoyance caused by spam. Turn friends list to friends and public chat and the affects of spam are gone. The affects of restricted trade are much harder to erase.

Edit: More bots doesnt mean there werent bots there already. Essentially what your complaining about is a mountain blocking your path of travel, suddenly got a little bigger. It doesnt change the fact that you were blocked by a mountain to begin with. A mountain that wasnt stopped by restricted trade to begin with.

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:sebas379
well the choice for me was simple. I don't pk and won't do it so often that i'd really miss it, but i knew the bots would return en masse, so i voted no.
Now many recources have crashed in price, i could put that as an argument but well, in fact that's just selfish cuz i make less money selling it. Other spend less buying it so they'r happy.

In short. To me, the bots were the main reason to vote no
Posted Image

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

well the choice for me was simple. I don't pk and won't do it so often that i'd really miss it, but i knew the bots would return en masse, so i voted no.
Now many recources have crashed in price, i could put that as an argument but well, in fact that's just selfish cuz i make less money selling it. Other spend less buying it so they'r happy.

In short. To me, the bots were the main reason to vote no

recources/armour were artificially high due to being deleted upon pvp deaths and raw gold entering the game the same way.

Bots are not the major reason behind the drop, the loss of raw gold being added/items being deleted via pvp is.

Besides I could call you selfish too for wanting to keep a broken system in place so you can profit off it ;)

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts

You never had a choice, Jagex had always meant for the wilderness to be dangerous. Sorry you got used to revs but it was meant to have pkers as the risk vs. reward factor for clue scrolls and other things. Sorry you want it easy but that defeats the purpose of risk vs. reward.

You're missing the point. I don't find it "hard" and don't want it "easy." People can't seem to kill me, but that doesn't make me any happier about having to flee them. I don't see the harm in certain worlds having revs again, so I can idle about in the wilderness like I used to. It's the way I, and many others, play. If players want to pk each other in the wilderness they can do that in the other 99% of worlds.

Another wonderful thing about the current wilderness are the lurers and scammers that lure the less intelligent players into the wilderness with teleothers and whatnot to "scam" them out of their items. The amount of phasers and hackers increased tremendously too. It's not just a few RWT spammers, but I don't even care about any of that, since as like you so kindly pointed out, I cannot play the game I want.

Not being able to play the game you want is much worse then annoyance caused by spam. Turn friends list to friends and public chat and the affects of spam are gone. The affects of restricted trade are much harder to erase.

Effects. Affects is something entirely different.
I do have my public chat on friends, but that doesn't mean the amount of spam won't make people lag, chase away new players, and the likes. Spammers are the least annoying of the bots, and I'd say the idiotic amount of resource and creature hugging bots are much worse.

Before the free trade "update" I was rarely to never bothered by bots. Now I am.
That is change, for the worse. Where there was a very small problem that did not bother me, there now is a out-of-control problem that bugs me right about every second I spend in-game.

Anyone who doesn't have access to Kuradel's dungeon can't even kill a blue dragon because of them. Cutting yews and the likes is like it was before the trade restrictions. These are players that transfer stuff from their bots to their accounts, while others get cheated out of their resources.

What was so terrible about restricted trade again? You keep referring to effects: what effects?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quotes

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

You're missing the point. I don't find it "hard" and don't want it "easy." People can't seem to kill me, but that doesn't make me any happier about having to flee them. I don't see the harm in certain worlds having revs again, so I can idle about in the wilderness like I used to. It's the way I, and many others, play. If players want to pk each other in the wilderness they can do that in the other 99% of worlds.

Another good thing about the current wilderness are the lurers and scammers that lure the less intelligent players into the wilderness with teleothers and whatnot to "scam" them out of their items. The amount of phasers and hackers increased tremendously too. It's not just a few RWT spammers, but I don't even care about any of that, since as like you so kindly pointed out, I cannot play the game I want.

How about this why not just be handed a treasure trial item upon being given a scroll? Its part of the challenge just like killing the mages or solving the puzzles is. Just cause you dont feel it is doesn't mean it is not. Jagex always intended running from pkers as part of the challenge, sorry if you got used to something different but it is what it is.

Id like 100m to be handed to me too. But I either will have to do risky activities like staking or time consuming ones like standard money making, the principles this game was built on are the same ones that make you run from pkers in wilderness clues. You haven't really given any reasons why its wrong other then basically admitting your an 09 product and want it to stay that easy.

Great to the people that get lured, they learn not to trade with people across the wilderness wall. They learn not to trust people over the internet. The guy whos rs buddy keylogged him for stuff learned not to trust online people and that might save him from getting his identity stolen in the future, whats wrong with this? Life skills being learned in a game.

I got hacked and scammed in 05, never since and I owe my vigilance to past pains of getting things stolen, I wouldnt trade that for the world because I dont trust people I met on rs to give me things on AIM that could lead to credit card info getting stolen or other things. Getting scammed or hacked is the best thing that can happen to someone who trusts random people on the internet imo.

Still im not sure what you mentioned that is preventing you to play the game how you want. It sounds to me that you just want free stuff without having to work for it. :rolleyes:

Effects. Affects is something entirely different.
I do have my public chat on friends, but that doesn't mean the amount of spam won't make people lag, chase away new players, and the likes. Spammers are the least annoying of the bots, and I'd say the idiotic amount of resource and creature hugging bots are much worse.

Anyone who doesn't have access to Kuradel's dungeon can't even kill a blue dragon because of them. Cutting yews and the likes is like it was before the trade restrictions. These are players that transfer stuff from their bots to their accounts, while others get cheated out of their resources.

What was so terrible about restricted trade again? You keep referring to effects: what effects?

Please dont correct my grammar. Sorry if it irratates you but correcting someones grammar is the first indication of an overall weak argument. It translates to "I cant say anything relevant so I will correct your grammar." I doubt this post will stop you from doing so, but just know it is something I have little respect for.

The spam makes you lag? Mind if I ask what kinda computer/internet in non crowded areas 10 or so people heavily spamming shouldnt do that. Id hate to see what would happen to you in world 2. Still spammers were alive and well pre free-trade, remember merch clans? lots of spammers essentially your saying the woes of restricted trade are worth it to have less spammers. Not stop the problem just to have it lessened to a degree.

Bots were always a problem. Are you sure that people are botting Kuradels dungeon for profits or for levels. Since you can only go there while on a task I think its for levels which I can tell you would still be a problem should Jagex restrict trade again tommorow.

The bad side of restricted trade:
- Times where items are unbuyable and unsellable
- Being forced to buy items at an artificially inflated price, followed by a long period where you cant buy or sell due to it
- Pvp inflation
- not being able to give to my friends
- No staking
- Artifically high prices due to items being deleted on pvp. This makes GWD/CORP/TD hunters have an even larger income ratio then skillers.
- Merch clans

Probably a few more I can list but these are the ones I am referring to

Edit: The bad sides of free trade
- More spam [instead of merch clans its gold sellers]
- More bots [again more, largely due to gold farming]
- hacking/scamming

I personally see the good outweigh the bad. As bots do not affect the average player on a day to day basis [dont say slayer bots cause those are level up bots which were popular in restricted trade. Dont tell me your average player cuts yews for money either]. Spam is easily blocked by chat filters. Hacking/scamming are avoided by not trusting people on the internet ***this is an important lesson to learn or risk getting actual money stolen***

I see the daily annoyances of unbuyable items/pvp inflation among other things I listed to be a much worse hassle then wrestling with bots [where were there in force during restricted trade btw] and the easily avoidable spam of gold seller bots

Blutters
[ Display Name History ]

Blutters

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  • RSN:Blutters

Voted yes, don't regret it at all. The game has been much more enjoyable for the way i play.

Because you hide underground right? :P

_____

I voted no because, although I like free trade, I didn't want the bulk of the griefer crowd to return. Well, and I was also under the naive impression that JaGEx really did have some way to combat bots...
I would define a griefer as someone who would kill (or lure) someone else in the Wilderness not because they wanted to make money but because they wanted that person to feel bad about losing theirs.

I'm not a PKer, so PKers are going to tell me my opinion is invalid. But seriously, how were PvP worlds not better than the old Wilderness?
PKers've said that they wanted the items their victim was carrying, but when most PKers wouldn't wear anything worth anything, the random drops with statuettes and high level items would be more profitable.

I think in reality the PKers who left because of the removal of/transfer from old Wilderness to PvP Worlds left because they were forcefully segregated from the innocents they preyed upon before.
And these same people are the ones who Erage and just randomly insult, troll, and flame others. I'm far from declaring all PKers as scum, but the ones who only play to ruin others' experience (both inside and outside of the Wilderness) certainly are (differentiated by the term "griefers"), and are likely the bulk of the people who left and returned. The game was far better off with those particulars gone and although some will argue that the community has always been terrible it's certainly degraded further in the past year.

And the bots are ridiculous. They ruin any immersion the game had. (All games have immersion by the way; just because RuneScape is in many ways casual and browser-based doesn't mean it lacked immersion.)
I hate SEEING swarms of strange characters with strings of random letters and numbers for names swarming about the place like drones all wearing the same gear.

I certainly don't regret my vote. What I do find regretful is that I've been forced to suffer through the consequences of the short-sighted, the ignorant, the sadistic, the nostalgic, and the self-centered.

2dgucz6.png

Lukeh
[ Display Name History ]

Lukeh

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • RSN:Luked365

Voted against wildy/free trade. I knew Free trade was coming back anyways so I'm indifferent to this.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts
Offering assists for all Smithing/Crafting effigies, PM 'Luked365' in game, or PM me here if i'm not online

Inb4 green uses Party Pete at bloodveld in slayer tower

Where in the world is Tip.it?

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

I certainly don't regret my vote. What I do find regretful is that I've been forced to suffer through the consequences of the short-sighted, the ignorant, the sadistic, the nostalgic, and the self-centered.

Harsh words check my reply to "Son_of_Judas's" post, he said about the same thing you said and check my reply to them. If you have any points I can not explain why free trade is still better I will accept that I was short-sighted,ignorant,sadistic,nostalgis and self-centered. :lol:

jetset516a
[ Display Name History ]

jetset516a

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 93 posts
I voted no and do not regret it. The wilderness is a haven for children. There's no fairness in having someone 25 levels lower than you attack you and within 5 clicks have you killed. Teleblock, freeze, and a few swipes with a ddp++ and you're dead. Bullcrap. The "economy" crashed, many prices still have yet to recover. And if you think for a minute over 90% of people voted for this you're only lying to yourself. Jagex introduces a vote and just a few months later a major update? Please. They were going forward no matter what. Had they wanted a fair representation they as well would have separated the vote. Many wanted free trade, very few wanted the old wildy.
So if you can't sell your stuff, can't do many of the activities that involve the wilderness, and absolutely love bots, thank the morons who voted to bring the wilderness back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users