Return of the wildy/free trade-do you regret your vote?

Spartan3450

Just use these hide tags :lol:

But anyways alt healing is mainly members but members control the market. Plus members fish dropped too and lobsters couldnt rise otherwise it would create a niche market of cheap healing bring up prices, just too many factors at play to allow that

I'm guessing bots are a big part of that, but member food prices could also have dropped because food is outclassed/useless at higher levels, and higher leveled players are the ones that control the market. Why do you need an inventory of sharks when you can use a unicorn, ~30m gets you an SGS, you've got (E)EE providing all the healing you need, or, hell, even bunyips. Plus, when was the last time that a slayer enemy was damgerous enough that you really needed food? Power creep's got quite a bit to do with it.

Lower levels get cheap food for the same effect, though nowadays sharks are that food instead of, say, monkfish.

F2P food was just made a lot easier to get, which benefits both free players and bots who want to farm these resources. There's a guy that notes your lobster for you on the Karamja dock, right? That makes it easier for bots, but also players, and the only people that buy lobsters are in F2P. I'm guessing lower leveled members could use them for cheap training food or for cooking training, but that's about it. Raw food's always been more valuable than cooked food; there's a huge amount of players that want their levels higher, but only so many people at a time need healing, especially in f2p. Rune is more than enough for most enemies.

I did vote 'no', though. I'd have been happy with it if I knew that they made some effort with the problems that caused them to remove it in the first place, but even then it was clear that they hadn't. Of course, that's irrelevant to the bulk of this post :mrgreen:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't regret my sole, human-originated "No" vote, nor do I regret the subsequent bank account ban I issued against Jagex Games Studio.

However, I feel re-examining the events of early 2011 can only serve as a post-mortem. The damage that has been done cannot be undone. There can be no rollback, no reversal of policy, no magical development of a bot detection system that can undo what Gerhard has done.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I voted yes and now i regret it

this is prob due to me getting cleaned from staking and i blame myself for staking my bank.

Also i think pking is bad now unless u are a max hybrid or w.e. B4 free trade came out i used to earn about 20m per week from pking at edge/clan now i dont even make that much and since free trade i quitted clan pking since u dont even make much anymore.

I voted yes, and don't regret anything. I hate that bots pollute so much of the game nowadays, but it's the way it's going to stay. I think the reason I'm so fine with it is because RS, in a way, represents real life problems as well. For instance:

Bots = Jobs being outsourced. You try to do your job (wcing, killing, ect) but bots infest that market, and take over. Why? Because people (spoiled kids who don't know how to make money themselves) in business want to save a buck (in this case, saving a buck means not having to do any hard work yourself, you can just buy the money with cash). This is why the bots/outsourcing is supported.

Scamming/hacking = this happens in real life all the time, there's no reason it wouldn't happen in RS. You're given the opportunity in game (much like in real life) to protect yourself and your belongings, but many people still don't care and make dumb decisions, thus leading to theives and hackers taking advantage of the dumb or ignorant.

To some, my examples may seem a bit overdone, but I believe they make pretty good sense. I honestly like the way RS is now. In real life, I hate that, crooked politicians for example (hackers/scammers) exist, and that so many people (bosses/companies) are willing to outsource (bot) to simply save a buck (not make the money themselves). But guess what? There's nothing I can do about it.

Little by little, society manages to chip away at the growing downturn of human decency, but even then it's not going to be enough to completely eliminate the problem.

I hate the bots, hackers, scammers, and cheats on RS just as much as anyone else, but in a way I am glad they exist. To those that see the same way I do (although I'll admit I blew it a tad bit out of proportion), it teaches a life lesson to some. I don't regret voting for the free trade/wilderness return, because I still believe it has it's perks. I also voted (not that it mattered really) knowing what wrong was going to return with the game, but I realized it was going to happen anyway, free trade or not. Free trade only amplified the situation. I don't mind because I know how to protect myself against all of the wrong-doing on this game, I've been scammed and cheated before, and I learned my lesson. I can only hope that newer generations playing the game have the same happen to them, so they learn the way real life works, but in a video game; before it can do any real damage.

/corny speech.

Trollbomber.png

I've had to remove a handful of posts that went off topic or focused on attacking individuals instead of the presented ideas. Please try to keep in mind that here we are meant to be debating ideas, not slinging dirt on the individual. :)

----

Personally my views on it are that if we accept that this poll was rigged, then no one has anything to be upset about. What good is anger directed at people who simply voted for what they wanted in a meaningless poll? It's an unnecessary divide. We all knew that with this update that bots would come back in stronger numbers, that people would stop caring about powertraining others accounts for cash or things like that and focus on the grinding. What I'm kind of shocked here is that why are people upset with those who voted 'Yes' instead of Jagex who couldn't stop the bots?

hzvjpwS.gif

You're missing the point. I don't find it "hard" and don't want it "easy." People can't seem to kill me, but that doesn't make me any happier about having to flee them. I don't see the harm in certain worlds having revs again, so I can idle about in the wilderness like I used to. It's the way I, and many others, play. If players want to pk each other in the wilderness they can do that in the other 99% of worlds.

The wilderness was meant to be a place where you couldn't "idle" and where "griefers" were suppose to be able to kill you any time they wanted, whenever they felt like it. I don't know why you expect everywhere in Runescape to be a safe, easy, and boring place where you can half afk. Go idle elsewhere.

I'm kind of surprised a lot of people aren't bothered by the increase in bots because they don't affect the way they play. It's only a matter of time before they make boss hunting bots or better dungeoneering bots, and i'm pretty sure at that point Runescape will be universally agreed to have been ruined by bots.

@People who get annoyed with bot complaints

The fact that it's relevant to basically everything wrong with the game just proves that it's an even bigger problem, and is just more of a reason to stop sympathizing with bots.

Personally my views on it are that if we accept that this poll was rigged, then no one has anything to be upset about. What good is anger directed at people who simply voted for what they wanted in a meaningless poll? It's an unnecessary divide. We all knew that with this update that bots would come back in stronger numbers, that people would stop caring about powertraining others accounts for cash or things like that and focus on the grinding. What I'm kind of shocked here is that why are people upset with those who voted 'Yes' instead of Jagex who couldn't stop the bots?

Well put. I did vote "no", and ultimately I threw a few kitchen sinks at Jagex behind them not being able to live up to their word to "fight" this problem. I sure don't regret voting "no"...I *do* regret not sending a very clear message to whoever's idea this was to completely redo the vote fair and square.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I voted against it, so no. I knew exactly what would happen.

ditto

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I voted yes, and I'm happy with what I got. Am I alone in not regretting this? I got to help and be helped by friends, got to PK in the wilderness, got to buy items really easily, and even got to have a go at dice games, most of which are legitimate. Good fun, nothing wrong with it.

Sure there's a few more bots, but in the long run that's helping me too. I don't rely on resource skills for money anymore, so all I do now is things like barrows or clue scrolls for money. On the flip side, bots are making monkfish, herbs, and logs much cheaper, which is something I appreaciate. So there you go, my honest opinion on the matter. I haven't been scammed yet: I know what the basic scams are, and as a result I'm just generally careful.

I'm not an efficienado.

I voted yes, and I'm happy with what I got. Am I alone in not regretting this? I got to help and be helped by friends, got to PK in the wilderness, got to buy items really easily, and even got to have a go at dice games, most of which are legitimate. Good fun, nothing wrong with it.

Sure there's a few more bots, but in the long run that's helping me too. I don't rely on resource skills for money anymore, so all I do now is things like barrows or clue scrolls for money. On the flip side, bots are making monkfish, herbs, and logs much cheaper, which is something I appreaciate. So there you go, my honest opinion on the matter. I haven't been scammed yet: I know what the basic scams are, and as a result I'm just generally careful.

I'm happy with the return of FT/wild, but wait until they make a barrows bot, and then see how much you appreciate them.

I am shocked at the ratio of no voters to yes voters posting on this thread. I knew there would be more than 10% no voters, but its probably close to 60% no's and 40% yes on this thread atm. Then again, "I told you so" is a lot easier to post about.

I think it is important to distinguish between botting and rwt as well. Many players are using the argument that both existed pre-free trade. That is true, but the extent to which they existed is incomparable. It is like saying "well there was ice before the ice age, so its not all that different".

Pre free trade, the majority of bots were operated by people seeking to gain levels but too lazy to train themselves. Now, the vast majority of bots are operated by people seeking to gain real life profit by farming gold and selling it. This is a huge change. But the actually RWT is a completely separate issue from botting, although they are tied because bots are essential to many RWTers.

Therefore, because it is evident jagex is not able to combat botters, they must turn to stopping RWT, which in turn, will cause bots to disappear. This was the case in 2007 with the initial update. But the problem now is, they are likely benefiting from RWT financially. They evidently got better lawyers to take care of the legal issues present with RWT and now they mostly enjoy the benefits of hundreds of thousands of new member accounts which are botted on. So I do not see them making any significant efforts to stop RWTing at this time, which is sad, although, because they are a after all a company, understandable.

I voted Yes, bots are the same as manipulation clans to me. So either system had their own flaws.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Voted no and I'm still strongly against it. It completely ruined Slayer for me, though on the positive side it did make Prayer pots cheaper. But it's almost impossible to make any profit from power-slaying now with the most expensive Slayer drop at ~1.5m. >.>

Then of course there's the bots and overall the upcoming death of RuneScape. Nice decision by Jagex.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Crashed items due to bots is better than a broken GE system that's controlled by manip clans where it's near-impossible to buy/sell certain items, for me at least.

In f2p, the old wild system doesn't benefit me as much as the BH drop system, though. Unless I go kill rune miners.

I don't regret my no-vote. But what really disappoints me, is the attitude of players these days, a lot of them just bot for the levels, for the money, for the items. Where was the joy in just playing? Ingame, I'm getting laughed at because I play just for fun, and that I am not an efficiency nub. It saddens me a lot.

No, my second sentence was just my major problem with this game, along with the way Jagex handles the game now. It doesn't have to do with this discussion, but I just had to say it. :)

But in my opinion, RS is now more ruined than during the restricted stade.

The bots block the seaview from my appartement.

And now serious,

the bots are really a nuisance, they wreck the whole economy, spoil our resources, spam the game and private chat. Gold selling, hacking, it all has returned to a scale you cannot describe. Jagex can in no way handle the problem, their promise was just a greedy lie.

Another issue, a lot smaller: the ambushes from pkers while doing things like wildy agility course, or the penguins, or the rune rocks, clues,... are a real pain. I am a player from 2002 and I do remember how it was in those days, before restricted trade, but I preferred it that players that didn't wanted to get involved with PK'ing, could stay save from the PKers.

I simply don't PK, nor merchant, nor stake, so I couldn't care less about the restrictions.

I know you are going to respond to this with the same stuff all over again, like you did to almost everyone who voted "no", but I stand by my opinion, the bot problem is way more bigger than it was a year ago, and if you keep saying otherwise, there's something wrong with your eyes.

I haven't slayed since the return of free trade since the skill gives little to no profit now... So yes/no, pking has its up/downsides and free trade is nice (especially on my birthday ^^) but I find it hard to stick to one thing now... I used to slay constantly, now I'm always bored.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

bots are a major reason but look at the trend lines, the fall started during restricted trade well before anyone had any idea that it was ending. So no one should use fish prices as a reason to support restricted trade was my point

Actually, the fall started the week of January 21st, which was quite a while after the referendum was announced, for Sharks at least.

Given the history of bots and shark prices, it isn't unreasonable to suggest that bots were a factor in the massive decline of the price (Sharks were stable at around 1k ea in 2006, until the peak of the bot problem, when they sunk to 600 ea. This happened to other resources, such as feathers and dragon bones, as well). It is unreasonable to suggest that they were the only factor. There's the previously mentioned power creep and the lack of demand; they aren't the best food anymore, and food isn't the best for healing.

bots are a major reason but look at the trend lines, the fall started during restricted trade well before anyone had any idea that it was ending. So no one should use fish prices as a reason to support restricted trade was my point

Actually, the fall started the week of January 21st, which was quite a while after the referendum was announced, for Sharks at least.

Given the history of bots and shark prices, it isn't unreasonable to suggest that bots were a factor in the massive decline of the price (Sharks were stable at around 1k ea in 2006, until the peak of the bot problem, when they sunk to 600 ea. This happened to other resources, such as feathers and dragon bones, as well). It is unreasonable to suggest that they were the only factor. There's the previously mentioned power creep and the lack of demand; they aren't the best food anymore, and food isn't the best for healing.

Dude, this is TIF. Are you really suggesting that something about the economy or infact anything about the game isn't down to bots and botting and think you are going to get away with it? PFFFT silly rabbit.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Dude, this is TIF. Are you really suggesting that something about the economy or infact anything about the game isn't down to bots and botting and think you are going to get away with it? PFFFT silly rabbit.

Oh, if that's the case, then yeah, bots did everything. Bots did the economy. Bots killed Andrew Gower. Bots were behind 9/11. Bots were behind Hitler. Bots steal children in the middle of the night to feed to an evil dragon that lives in Tuscany. Bots are the reason that Nintendo hasn't released the last three Pokemon yet.