What makes someone a "bad person"?

andufusthebronze

You all are for being so damn judgmental.

See how easy it is to point the finger?

This is why I love you :mrgreen:

Serious: There is no definite criteria for a bad person. You can make it as black and white as possible, but at the end of the day, 'good' and 'bad' comes down to where you personally stand. And I'm guessing that shades of gray don't fit into most people's criteria (Say, progress that comes at a cost: Whether or not that cost is justifiable or not depends on both context and your personal system of values). You can say that the thief is a bad person because he leaves a victim, but accept a thief that steals out of necessity, unless you are or know the victim, and chances are you'll be willing to look the other way if it benefits you. ESPECIALLY those of you that are certain that you're above that. Unless you've found the cure for humanity. If so, please share O:)

So... these feelings I've been feeling... are mutual?

So... these feelings I've been feeling... are mutual?

There are so MANY different kinds of "Bad people". People who don't obey Laws. People who do Drugs. People who don't care for their own health/safety. People who are hurtful to others.

Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

Going for Level 99 Magic & Level 99 Smithing!!!

Going for 200M Woodcutting exp!!!!!!!

0346-0077-6360 Mario kart Wii

I hope that you are Reporting the Bots! Please Report Bots.

There is no such thing as a "bad person" or a "good person"; there are just people who choose to do good things and there are people who do bad things. Judging the entirety of a person using a limited amount of actions against a virtually limitless amount of possible actions is a bit silly.

j0xPu5R.png

There is no such thing as a "bad person" or a "good person"; there are just people who choose to do good things and there are people who do bad things. Judging the entirety of a person using a limited amount of actions against a virtually limitless amount of possible actions is a bit silly.

I'd go so far as to say that there is not even any real depth to such perceptions as "good" and "bad" - be it a person or their actions -, simply because they are such vague terms. Interpretations of good and bad vary from person to person, and continually change over time. Something that would have been acceptable just a few centuries ago, e.g. owning slaves, is thought of as 'bad' today not because it categorically is, but because the general consensus in our society says that it is.

Good and bad are very loose terms, and there is no such thing as a good or bad person or even a good or bad act.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'd go so far as to say that there is not even any real depth to such perceptions as "good" and "bad" - be it a person or their actions -, simply because they are such vague terms. Interpretations of good and bad vary from person to person, and continually change over time. Something that would have been acceptable just a few centuries ago, e.g. owning slaves, is thought of as 'bad' today not because it categorically is, but because the general consensus in our society says that it is.

Good and bad are very loose terms, and there is no such thing as a good or bad person or even a good or bad act.

There is some form of perception even if it requires a general consensus. Sure it does change, but there are reasons why laws and social implications exist. If they face those consequences, then it becomes something that is generally thought as bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though good and bad are fairly loose terms, it is recognized in some form or another. If there weren't any good or bad, then laws or social sanctions wouldn't exist. However, you can say that it would be more so "bad towards..." or "good towards..." than being bad or good in general. Those things that are prized or take priority tend to be more important than other things. (eg. society over personal gain)

j0xPu5R.png

I think it's more a matter of how that person chooses to do more good or bad things. If he favors to do more bad things, then those around him will perceive that person

as "bad". The bottom line, it's all based on character.

I think it's more a matter of how that person chooses to do more good or bad things. If he favors to do more bad things, then those around him will perceive that person

I've always thought that labelling someone as a "bad person" is something more permanent, even though there is an opportunity for change.

j0xPu5R.png

The point I made earlier is that good and bad are such vague, elastic terms that they can never really apply to someone or to someone's actions. Something you consider 'bad' might not have been a few centuries ago, but neither view is 'right'; instead, these judgements are products of their time and are therefore meaningless.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_nCTGSfWE&feature=feedu

Thought this video was pertinent, have fun.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

If you want a brutally honest answer, I've got one.

dxhb2s.jpg

So, this graph will represent what a population views as good. The center of the bell, denoted as the Greek letter Mu, will indicate that the population views the action performed as 'good'. One standard deviation is considered normal for our purposes, but this also means that 68.2% of individuals perform inherently 'good' activities, and the population will label that person as 'good'. The further away from the center an action ranks, the more inherently 'bad' that action is. So we have to note that roughly 27.2% of a population (13.6% X 2), performs inherently neutral or frowned-upon actions, depending on distance from the center at which the action is scored. A society would label these people normal, neutral, or without a label generally, although special cases arise. The outer 4.3% of the bell would denote, 3 standard deviations from 'good', that the performed action will be perceived as 'bad' and thus the population would label the individual a 'bad person'.

As you can see, from the definitions we've applied to the above graph, a 'bad person' is merely a deviation from a 'normality' which invokes a label from the population which the deviation occurred therein. Of course, the action from which the graph applies to is subjective, and will apply different standards under examination of different actions, and will effect differently on the individual dependently upon the societal, religious and personal views of the scrutinizing population.

Hopefully this clears some things up. I can clarify if necessary.

chayyliel.png

Your post was interesting, but

Of course, the action from which the graph applies to is subjective, and will apply different standards under examination of different actions, and will effect differently on the individual dependently upon the societal, religious and personal views of the scrutinizing population.

that is what his thread is about specifically.

The inability to apply specificity to the subject is the reason I had to generalize so much of my response. Frankly speaking, it's only possible for an individual to speak for and make assumptions about culture's they personally experienced. If you're asking me to specifically state what makes someone a bad person, I can do so for North America, the country from which I hail, because I've had experience living in the United States, and Canada. I can't, however, specify to you what might make someone a bad person in Georgia (Europe), for example, because I've not made the personal experience in their culture to note it. It'd be inaccurate to make the statement, as well, simply from reading about the area and it's culture. The attributes which make a bad person are also unique to every individual, though some groups have a motif, if you will, as to those standards. This uniqueness amongst individuals in the separate populations, though, make applying specificity even harder. So, we have to use that bell curve again, apply different definitions, and take note of what the population's majority think of the matter and use that. We also have to consider the large number of differing cultures and societies with differing views on the matter, in which every single point-of-view cannot be taken into account, so we cannot speak for everyone in naming attributes which make a person 'bad' simply on our own.

Digressing, I guess the real fact is you can't actually put a finger on what makes someone a bad person.

chayyliel.png