Logging number of players online since 8th of June

292_yo

I've been recording the number of players online at 5 minute intervals with minimum downtime since the 8th of June. Currently there have been 3 updates (IIRC).

You can see how long it takes people to get back online, what % of players dissapear after an update, direction of the number of players etc etc.

Would you find this info useful?

EDIT: Find it here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=mV2s4dXQ. I dont know of any other way to post this so i'll have to manually upload it every now and then.

This was started sometime after the Deadliest catch update. 3 missing entries at the start are due to problems with the script which have now been fixed. Might see some missing entries due to downtime.

EDIT 2: If anyone knows a web page displaying the number of memberships that would be good.

I doubt its use:

1) Player population fluctuates much more rapidly than 5 minute intervals

2) What's "minimum down time"? The 12+ hours a day when you need to sleep, eat, study/work, have a social life or actually play the game?

3) How accurate are your intervals? I doubt 1 person could strictly adhere to such 5 minutes intervals strictly even allowing for ~20 second errors.

4) Since the 8th of June is hardly an expansive study, it's a week and a half; in that time we've only seen 1 actual game update. (if you ignore bug fixes)

5) Accounting for you're "minimal downtime" its clear this study will only show up time for 1 timezone, what about the up time which happens during your sleeping hours?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I doubt its use:

1) Player population fluctuates much more rapidly than 5 minute intervals

2) What's "minimum down time"? The 12+ hours a day when you need to sleep, eat, study/work, have a social life or actually play the game?

3) How accurate are your intervals? I doubt 1 person could strictly adhere to such 5 minutes intervals strictly even allowing for ~20 second errors.

4) Since the 8th of June is hardly an expansive study, it's a week and a half; in that time we've only seen 1 actual game update. (if you ignore bug fixes)

5) Accounting for you're "minimal downtime" its clear this study will only show up time for 1 timezone, what about the up time which happens during your sleeping hours?

1. Doesnt make this data useless.

2. Probably less than 2 hours total.

3. Cron.

4. I'll still be running it regardless.

5. Epoch time.

Did you think i was writing it on a piece of paper with my alarm set to go off every 5 minutes?

Seriously?

Ignoring today you say you've been collecting data for the past 11 days.

Which is 264 hours with only 2 hours supposed time missing?

That's ridiculous, considering the Guinness world record for longest period without sleep is 264 hours, which "smashed" the prior record of 260 hours.

Especially given the average human gets major sleep deprivation issues around the 50 hour mark, if not much sooner.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Seriously?

That's ridiculous, considering the Guinness world record for longest period without sleep is 264 hours, which "smashed" the prior record of 260 hours.

Ok i thought your questions were legit but you are now trolling.

Yes please link this info. Would like to see what happens after an update, would be a rough estimate of the number of bots running.

What I was thinking too.

People like OP make us more aware of the bot-problem. So Kudos to you.

I fail to see how it is trolling to point out a rather obvious improbability in your data collection claims.

The fact you need to jump to calling me a troll rather than providing an explanation as to how sleep deprivation related issues etc. were avoided makes me even more suspicious of this studies validity and methodology as it reads as avoidance of the issue due to lack of a credible answer.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

There you go. You can use excel to convert the Epoch time to your timezone and look for updates and graph it etc etc.

I fail to see how it is trolling to point out a rather obvious improbability in your data collection claims.

The fact you need to jump to calling me a troll rather than providing an explanation as to how sleep deprivation related issues etc. were avoided makes me even more suspicious of this studies validity and methodology as it reads as avoidance of the issue due to lack of a credible answer.

See #3 and #5. Google if you dont understand.

Seriously?

Especially given the average human gets major sleep deprivation issues around the 50 hour mark, if not much sooner.

... you can have programs/websites track and record this data.... very simple actually

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough, how hard was it to say "I used a script" opposed to simply jumping to the attack?

You're original post didn't indicate use of a script, so through use of "I did" I assumed manually collection.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Fair enough, how hard was it to say "I used a script" opposed to simply jumping to the attack?

You're original post didn't indicate use of a script, so through use of "I did" I assumed manually collection.

Guess you didnt even read my reply to your questions.

If anyone makes anything out of this data id like to see it, i havent had time to make use of it yet, even if it's just number of players on a given day of the week :D

You can see how long it takes people to get back online, what % of players dissapear after an update, direction of the number of players etc etc.

If monitored over a longer period of time I'd say it is interesting.

It also may be good to remember that updates don't immediately cause inactivity. If people are to quit after an update, it might take a delay of x amount of days, weeks, or whatnot. There can also be other reasons for temporary lapses in activity. Right now reduced activity can be due to exams as well, for example.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

If monitored over a longer period of time I'd say it is interesting.

It also may be good to remember that updates don't immediately cause inactivity. If people are to quit after an update, it might take a delay of x amount of days, weeks, or whatnot. There can also be other reasons for temporary lapses in activity. Right now reduced activity can be due to exams as well, for example.

Well it will continue to log, that's no problem. I wasnt refering to quitting, i meant how long it takes for players to come back (as a common counter to the whole "66% of players are bots, look at numbers after update" is that players take breaks/have weekly shower etc). Also dont forget this is global, it may be exams where you are, but not exams in other countries.

But that's data mining for you correlation and causation can be mixed up.

Well it will continue to log, that's no problem. I wasnt refering to quitting, i meant how long it takes for players to come back (as a common counter to the whole "66% of players are bots, look at numbers after update" is that players take breaks/have weekly shower etc). Also dont forget this is global, it may be exams where you are, but not exams in other countries.

Ah, I guess I missed the intention a little there. xD

I am fully aware of it being global, but I am also aware that certain institutions have similar exam periods (colleges and whatnot). I know many foreign students who attend universities and have examinations/papers due around the same time. Of course not everything is perfectly alined, but the point was that there are people that may or may not be signing in for a number of other reasons too. Exams was just an example of such reasoning.

It would be interesting to find out why players would delay or choose to go back in-game as fast they can, but that would be rather hard to accurately measure. That includes bots.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

First off, I would just like to say you're =/= your

Anyhow - I think this data can only give general trends - how would you figure out what % of the game is botting?

There's so many other factors involved in game play (even right after an update), it's hard to figure out whose botting and what not.

I guess it's useful as a cursory indicator of things and luckily there's a program that records this all for you (or else this would just suck to manage :P)

capt%20kevin.png

Not sure if this will be any help for you, but here's the graphic representation of your data:

[hide="Large Image]29qclxj.png[/hide]

sigwg.png

Are you into DnB or Dubstep?

Be sure to check my SOUNDCLOUD and MIXCLOUD,

and like me on FACEBOOK to stay up to date!

Latest mix: Leuven Goes Out Deejay Contest Winning Set (Dubstep + DnB)

I do not know how to find the exact time or date the data was taken, but you can discern the general trends if you use the scroll wheel on your mouse to move the page down. The population is the last 5/6 digit number.

I think this data is important beyond "the bot" application of it. This data could show a cycle that the Runescape population tends to follow day by day, week by week, and so on. Interesting enough to study even if it doesnt have a proper application. Maybe even Metagame discussion.

wessan.png

This month:

graphqw.png

After last weeks update:

graph1a.png

It's already interesting. Over the last 2 weeks the total population has stayed the same. If anything it's increasing.

After the update, more people logged in than prior, it took 3 hours to get back to normal, after that it declined, bad update? (LOL CANNOT WAIT FOR NUMBERS FOR MAJHARAT QUEST)

You know what my be quite useful would be to track deaths of players on different servers. This could potentially point out things like bots on worlds like 84 for LRC and other worlds known to have botters in certain locations.

This may be a bit too complicated, but it was a spur of the moment idea I had while mining today and people were talking about bots and dying (as usual).

wessan.png

You know what my be quite useful would be to track deaths of players on different servers. This could potentially point out things like bots on worlds like 84 for LRC and other worlds known to have botters in certain locations.

This may be a bit too complicated, but it was a spur of the moment idea I had while mining today and people were talking about bots and dying (as usual).

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to record total deaths on any world for any length of time.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

Nice data, I wish you'd started recording since before jagex brought back free trade so we could see how the pop has changed since then, that was the changing point between less players and less bots to a few more players and a load more bots, I remember before then the pop never hit 200k now it goes above 200k every day basically, would be good to know what % of the increase was caused by new/returning players and bots

Bbk.png