Rule-breaking and the role of a fansite

langer

Answer: No. I would not trade in this "Advanced" Community for the likes of cheaters.

Out of all the fansites, I think we all know ours is the most friendly, welcoming and dare I say active. If this turned to a cheat friendly site, I would not turn to HQ, Zybez... Id have to go it alone...

Once you have had Ribena you dont want Robinsons.

mr%20monky.png

"We shouldn't wish for easier lives, we should wish to be stronger men"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Guidesforscape

Your analogy is flawed (slightly)... the authorities are not struggling to control it, they are unwilling to punish the "wrongdo'ers".

Disagree, Jagex couldn't detect a bot if it was sat in a random for 4 weeks clicking the same spot.

Omali, welcome to my signature.

Never said anything about detecting... I said punishing. Jagex already receives countless reports from players about botting. They are just unwilling to punish paying accounts.

So if the authorities are unwilling to punish them we should all do it? It still doesn't make the world better. And I don't think Jagex is unwilling, do you have any source (facts) where you got that unwilling from?

As I said earlier, either they are unwilling or unable.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

What do you expect? We can't do anything, and it appears that either Jagex doesn't give a damn, does a crap job at stopping bots, or both.

Well, we can at least not lock all the anti-cheating threads and put up a visible message here that we at least don't support bots here. Locking legit anti-cheating threads is supporting cheating IMO.

Not all the topics are locked, though, nor all the posts regarding anything to do with botting removed. But if a topic is solely to look at "Frost Dragon Bones have plummeted because of bots" then...Well, okay, that's true, but it doesn't warrant a whole topic for discussion. They can be posted in the existing bot threads we have in General Discussion, or in the rants thread if they feel they need to vent without worrying about creating an encyclopedic topic.

I think since people have seen one thread locked, they're assuming all threads here on out will be locked which simply isn't true.

hzvjpwS.gif

Ohhh some interesting replies while I was at work.

@ Swedishboy

I agree with most of your post except for the part 2. Even though Jagex still say that botting is against the rules, there is ample evidence that a major part of the community is already botting a great portion of the game. Making them legal would only change the behavior of currently legit players who are too scared to bot now and risk their accounts.

@ Guidesforscape

Your analogy is flawed (slightly)... the authorities are not struggling to control it, they are unwilling to punish the "wrongdo'ers".

I agree with you partly on that, langer. Botting is common in the game, in my opinion way too common. And even though we haven't got any exact numbers of botters, it might very well be that, as you say, "a major part of the community is already botting a great portion of the game.". But to change the game so that botting becomes legal will have much bigger effects on the game than what you put forward in your post. Most legit players don't bot because they think it is "too risky", but instead because it is actually wrong, in their opinion. This have probably already proven itself, since Jagex now seems to take less action to stop botters (as I stated in my previous post as well). If they wanted to bot, they would most likely already be doing so.

Also, as I previously mentioned, if botting was made legal in the game it would change RuneScape in a way that I believe would make it much easier. Too easy. Like most games, Runescape survives on it being a challenge, a challenge that it is fun for the player to step up to.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Most legit players don't bot because they think it is "too risky", but instead because it is actually wrong, in their opinion.

This is why I don't do it. My father always told me there are two ways to do things: fast and right.

Just because botting is essentially a "victimless" crime (such as Ring World's analogy to the one guy who smokes pot) and JaGex no longer appears to be concerned about dealing with it, does not mean that we should all go out and start using bots. Nor does it mean that Tip.It, or any other fansite for that matter, should be endorsing it.

The day Tip.It/TIF endorses botting, bug abuse, or any other form of cheating is the day I resign.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

But botting is not a victimless crime...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

@elucin8er

Although I would much rather them actually perm ban the bots, I have arrived to the point where I actually really like your idea. If they're not gonna ban them, at least label them!

Or ban them and solve the problem?

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.

• 1 month later...

With today's "refer a friend" update, I feel this deserves a bump. With Jagex making sure cheating is easier and easier, should tip.it start giving tips on cheating?

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

No

[/thread]

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

With today's "refer a friend" update, I feel this deserves a bump. With Jagex making sure cheating is easier and easier, should tip.it start giving tips on cheating?

Well, the Knowledge Base will have tips for cheating, but people will come here for the accurate tips on cheating. Heck, the name even fits. Maybe cheats.tip.it? :thumbup:

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.