Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Micro Transactions vs. Bots...

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Zerker_Jane
[ Display Name History ]

Zerker_Jane

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Zerker Jane

As long as there's a symbol by the display name denoting them as gold buyers I'd go with microtransactions and 95% of bots disapearing.

That would be awesome. Probably the best solution I've read, although sure it would probably foster inflation, but the people who buy gold, are those who care about their image in the game, if buying gold means they have to permanently sacrifice their image through a "brand" if you will identifying them as a gold buyer, fewer people will be inclined to buy gp. It could work I think.

Jagex also has the ability to make your stats not appear in the hiscores anymore. That coupled with the symbol would I think highly reduce the amount of people who wish to buy gold. Could also be a good punishment for bots if jagex is intent on not banning them. It would be a good deterrent for players thinking about botting.
Posted Image
99 farm easy

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xpx
If the money wasn't created out of thin air or was sold in unalchable items, i'd prefer jagex selling gp. otherwise, bots have a less negative impact.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Master_Smither
[ Display Name History ]

Master_Smither

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • RSN:Runescapew44
I'll take the bots because at least I can force log/kill those in my spare time.
Click for My Blog

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts
I think they should try to make the grinding interesting. In a lot of games you need to rely on teamwork and strategy to lvl up and that's a lot more interesting than the "click and wait" system where everybody does boring tasks individually.

2480+ total

Begbie
[ Display Name History ]

Begbie

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • RSN:Begbie

Jagex could selll RSGP at 1cent/m...

raises the interesting question of at what point you would put your morals/beliefs aside and buy some gold! even at 10 cents per million it would be very tempting if buying from Jagex directly! just enough for that red h'ween though, honest...!

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

jijilentosmi
[ Display Name History ]

jijilentosmi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • RSN:Jijilentosmi
  • RSN2:the f2p jiji
If Jagex sold gold, which would be the worst decision they could make in my eyes, no one would have incentive to gather raw materials. People would simply buy gold for whatever they needed, but after a short time gold would no longer have a value(think post world war one Germany, there were reports of people literally burning money because it was cheaper than firewood). We'd essentially move to a barter system within the game, thus removing gold from the equation, which may seem like a solution to real world trading and the sorts, however, gold sellers would just become raw shark/whatever item sellers. Essentially, Jagex selling any tradable in-game items for a competitive price would break the game(not that I want to see untradables sold for real money). The only solutions to the problems in the game is banning bots permanently or reverting to controlled trade and such, unfortunately Jagex isn't going to do either of those and bots will forever be in the game.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

swordb88
[ Display Name History ]

swordb88

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • RSN:chicken beak

I would quit if Jagex ever sold gold.

this
LOL invite? PM me :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

THAT ONE CLIMBING BOOTS GUY

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Logdotzip
I would rather the current sitch, because while I personally don't break rules or RWT, I have friends that sell gold, who are in desperate situations IRL, and are able to make an easy billion or two a week on RS, and this nets them some IRL financial stability. Having Jagex sell gold eliminates this.

And as far as I am concerned, the only reason RWT is bad is because Jagex said it is, so just keep that in mind before some of you go all judgmental mode

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
Now that I think about it, I would not want to buy gold from Jagex anyway. I will not spend anything over five dollars per month on this game :lol:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

SomeNut
[ Display Name History ]

SomeNut

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts
what about the private cheat server ideas that jagex was throwing around awhile ago

Retro Revival
if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space
never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

jijilentosmi
[ Display Name History ]

jijilentosmi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 329 posts

I would rather the current sitch, because while I personally don't break rules or RWT, I have friends that sell gold, who are in desperate situations IRL, and are able to make an easy billion or two a week on RS, and this nets them some IRL financial stability. Having Jagex sell gold eliminates this.

And as far as I am concerned, the only reason RWT is bad is because Jagex said it is, so just keep that in mind before some of you go all judgmental mode

It is bad and not just because Jagex says so. Gp plays an important function in this game, someone with a large gp pile can easily gain nearly half the skillcapes in the game, and generally speaking, skills become faster when you have more money to throw around on equipment and supplies(maxed combat and slayer with overloads for instance)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

old_vuz
[ Display Name History ]

old_vuz

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Eat at Arbys
  • RSN2:Old Vuz
I'd rather take the bots because if jagex started selling gold it wouldn't just stay at gold. They would start selling items exclusive to the cash shop which would completely mess this game up way more than bots ever would.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Didn;t I write a giant times article about this in Febuary?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Begbie
[ Display Name History ]

Begbie

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • RSN:Begbie

Didn;t I write a giant times article about this in Febuary?

is that a rhetorical question?

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Nash
[ Display Name History ]

Nash

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 676 posts

what about the private cheat server ideas that jagex was throwing around awhile ago

Retro Revival

Thats interesting... Basically beating out the already existing private servers.

Otherwise Id like to see jagex add more untradeable content into the game to basically destroy the need for coins in the first place.

Look at WoW, they have "bind when equip" which means as soon as you put it on you cant trade it anymore. Or even better "bind when picked up" which means you cant trade it once you pick it up. Both ways makes the game more fun in my opinion.

Life in RS as it is now;
-You can mine... coal until you can afford full bandos. (or RC, or fishing or whatever)
You basically can grind in order to afford gear.

Life in RS if it had more untradeables;
-Youd HAVE to go kill bandos in order to GET gear.
-You couldnt just "Buy" a skill. There would be faster, non tradeable ways of training smithing, crafting, cooking (already fast), etc.
Im not talking more failed minigames, although that does help. Im talking about mining new ores that you cant trade, so you HAVE to smith them. stuff like that.

Obviously they wouldnt change GWD or the other bosses, but for future bosses/slayer monsters etc they should make the drops nontradeable. That way they could release new armour for lvls 1-99 without really hurting the economy (some people would rather just buy rune than fight a monster for a different kind of armor for the same lvl)

Food for thought, but I think the right approach is to decrease the need for gold in the first place.

In WoW you dont even CONSIDER buying gold most of the time because everything you ever need comes right from your drops. The only time I needed to buy gold was at the end of the game when I needed a rediculous amount of money to buy my flying mount (they lowered the price for it now so theres even less reason to buy gold)

Posted Image

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

Pixel Art Tutorial * Pixel Gallery * My Free Pixel Sigs Shop

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

THAT ONE CLIMBING BOOTS GUY

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • RSN:Logdotzip

It is bad and not just because Jagex says so. Gp plays an important function in this game, someone with a large gp pile can easily gain nearly half the skillcapes in the game, and generally speaking, skills become faster when you have more money to throw around on equipment and supplies(maxed combat and slayer with overloads for instance)

Right and I fail to see how that's necessarily bad. It's unfortunate but it's true that money = privilege and the way it stands currently, the same rule applies in RS. I would still rather the current system over any proposed micro-transactions, for the sake of my friends, and because if Jagex did sell gold, far more people would buy it over the current amount. I'm sure plenty of people would buy gold if it was legal/encouraged over how many do now, currently being illegal

Plus, Jagex can create gold, current RWTers just move it around. Can anyone say inflation?

Isthatok
[ Display Name History ]

Isthatok

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Isthatok
  • RSN2:Isthatok Str
  • Clan:Top 250 F2Pers, The Death Monkeighs
Sorry to be a little pessimistic here, but although I agree with your opinions the given suggestion won't work.

1) Only the most obvious bots are gold farmers. There's a bagillion other lazy [wagon] botting their wagons off on their mains and pures for the sake of getting better skills for their own in-game enjoyment. Hence 95% is a far from reasonable estimate.

2) If Jagex were to sell gold, which, sadly might actually happen in the near future with the current leadership, the game would become a total piece of [cabbage]. It is already heading that way, though.
Posted Image
~PM me and I'll do my best to make you a signature!~

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,445 posts
Jagex will never sell rs GP. even though you agree its "their property" on the ToC the day they sell GP is the day that if you get banned you can take them to court and sue them. If you sell something it implies ownership is shifted, otherwise it is illegal.

I think second life sold virtual stuff for real money and banned someone who bought that and got sued.

Jagex wants to avoid direct micro-transactions for that reason. They can get away with certain aspects now because those items are "gifts" or membership is a "bonus" to a free game.

SomeNut
[ Display Name History ]

SomeNut

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Jagex will never sell rs GP. even though you agree its "their property" on the ToC the day they sell GP is the day that if you get banned you can take them to court and sue them. If you sell something it implies ownership is shifted, otherwise it is illegal.

I think second life sold virtual stuff for real money and banned someone who bought that and got sued.

Jagex wants to avoid direct micro-transactions for that reason. They can get away with certain aspects now because those items are "gifts" or membership is a "bonus" to a free game.

interesting, never thought of it like that
if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space
never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

jijilentosmi
[ Display Name History ]

jijilentosmi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 329 posts

Right and I fail to see how that's necessarily bad. It's unfortunate but it's true that money = privilege and the way it stands currently, the same rule applies in RS. I would still rather the current system over any proposed micro-transactions, for the sake of my friends, and because if Jagex did sell gold, far more people would buy it over the current amount. I'm sure plenty of people would buy gold if it was legal/encouraged over how many do now, currently being illegal

Plus, Jagex can create gold, current RWTers just move it around. Can anyone say inflation?

If you don't see any value in half the skills in the game, then its not bad. RWT basically slaps legitimate players in the face, as if to say "you know all that time you spent earning your items, [bleep] it, we got em for the price of a happy meal". Not to brag but in the real world, I've got a good bit of extra cash and could easily buy 1b or so and just cheat my way to close to maxed total in a matter of weeks but it would devalue all the time I've put into this game. Plus, as I've mentioned in my earlier posts, the level of inflation from Jagex selling gold would cause a ripple effect that makes gold worthless, people would just barter with raw materials or whatever, and RWT-ers would come back. In all honesty I'd rather Jagex just get rid of free trade, it was a mistake to bring it back in the first place.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users