Micro Transactions vs. Bots...

Begbie

If Jagex sold gold, which would be the worst decision they could make in my eyes, no one would have incentive to gather raw materials. People would simply buy gold for whatever they needed, but after a short time gold would no longer have a value(think post world war one Germany, there were reports of people literally burning money because it was cheaper than firewood). We'd essentially move to a barter system within the game, thus removing gold from the equation, which may seem like a solution to real world trading and the sorts, however, gold sellers would just become raw shark/whatever item sellers. Essentially, Jagex selling any tradable in-game items for a competitive price would break the game(not that I want to see untradables sold for real money). The only solutions to the problems in the game is banning bots permanently or reverting to controlled trade and such, unfortunately Jagex isn't going to do either of those and bots will forever be in the game.

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather the current sitch, because while I personally don't break rules or RWT, I have friends that sell gold, who are in desperate situations IRL, and are able to make an easy billion or two a week on RS, and this nets them some IRL financial stability. Having Jagex sell gold eliminates this.

And as far as I am concerned, the only reason RWT is bad is because Jagex said it is, so just keep that in mind before some of you go all judgmental mode

Now that I think about it, I would not want to buy gold from Jagex anyway. I will not spend anything over five dollars per month on this game :lol:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

what about the private cheat server ideas that jagex was throwing around awhile ago

Retro Revival

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

I would rather the current sitch, because while I personally don't break rules or RWT, I have friends that sell gold, who are in desperate situations IRL, and are able to make an easy billion or two a week on RS, and this nets them some IRL financial stability. Having Jagex sell gold eliminates this.

And as far as I am concerned, the only reason RWT is bad is because Jagex said it is, so just keep that in mind before some of you go all judgmental mode

It is bad and not just because Jagex says so. Gp plays an important function in this game, someone with a large gp pile can easily gain nearly half the skillcapes in the game, and generally speaking, skills become faster when you have more money to throw around on equipment and supplies(maxed combat and slayer with overloads for instance)

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

I'd rather take the bots because if jagex started selling gold it wouldn't just stay at gold. They would start selling items exclusive to the cash shop which would completely mess this game up way more than bots ever would.

Eat_at_Arbys.png

Didn;t I write a giant times article about this in Febuary?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Didn;t I write a giant times article about this in Febuary?

is that a rhetorical question?

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

what about the private cheat server ideas that jagex was throwing around awhile ago

Retro Revival

Thats interesting... Basically beating out the already existing private servers.

Otherwise Id like to see jagex add more untradeable content into the game to basically destroy the need for coins in the first place.

Look at WoW, they have "bind when equip" which means as soon as you put it on you cant trade it anymore. Or even better "bind when picked up" which means you cant trade it once you pick it up. Both ways makes the game more fun in my opinion.

Life in RS as it is now;

-You can mine... coal until you can afford full bandos. (or RC, or fishing or whatever)

You basically can grind in order to afford gear.

Life in RS if it had more untradeables;

-Youd HAVE to go kill bandos in order to GET gear.

-You couldnt just "Buy" a skill. There would be faster, non tradeable ways of training smithing, crafting, cooking (already fast), etc.

Im not talking more failed minigames, although that does help. Im talking about mining new ores that you cant trade, so you HAVE to smith them. stuff like that.

Obviously they wouldnt change GWD or the other bosses, but for future bosses/slayer monsters etc they should make the drops nontradeable. That way they could release new armour for lvls 1-99 without really hurting the economy (some people would rather just buy rune than fight a monster for a different kind of armor for the same lvl)

Food for thought, but I think the right approach is to decrease the need for gold in the first place.

In WoW you dont even CONSIDER buying gold most of the time because everything you ever need comes right from your drops. The only time I needed to buy gold was at the end of the game when I needed a rediculous amount of money to buy my flying mount (they lowered the price for it now so theres even less reason to buy gold)

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

It is bad and not just because Jagex says so. Gp plays an important function in this game, someone with a large gp pile can easily gain nearly half the skillcapes in the game, and generally speaking, skills become faster when you have more money to throw around on equipment and supplies(maxed combat and slayer with overloads for instance)

Right and I fail to see how that's necessarily bad. It's unfortunate but it's true that money = privilege and the way it stands currently, the same rule applies in RS. I would still rather the current system over any proposed micro-transactions, for the sake of my friends, and because if Jagex did sell gold, far more people would buy it over the current amount. I'm sure plenty of people would buy gold if it was legal/encouraged over how many do now, currently being illegal

Plus, Jagex can create gold, current RWTers just move it around. Can anyone say inflation?

Sorry to be a little pessimistic here, but although I agree with your opinions the given suggestion won't work.

1) Only the most obvious bots are gold farmers. There's a bagillion other lazy [wagon] botting their wagons off on their mains and pures for the sake of getting better skills for their own in-game enjoyment. Hence 95% is a far from reasonable estimate.

2) If Jagex were to sell gold, which, sadly might actually happen in the near future with the current leadership, the game would become a total piece of [cabbage]. It is already heading that way, though.

jOi7G.png

~PM me and I'll do my best to make you a signature!~

Jagex will never sell rs GP. even though you agree its "their property" on the ToC the day they sell GP is the day that if you get banned you can take them to court and sue them. If you sell something it implies ownership is shifted, otherwise it is illegal.

I think second life sold virtual stuff for real money and banned someone who bought that and got sued.

Jagex wants to avoid direct micro-transactions for that reason. They can get away with certain aspects now because those items are "gifts" or membership is a "bonus" to a free game.

interesting, never thought of it like that

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

Right and I fail to see how that's necessarily bad. It's unfortunate but it's true that money = privilege and the way it stands currently, the same rule applies in RS. I would still rather the current system over any proposed micro-transactions, for the sake of my friends, and because if Jagex did sell gold, far more people would buy it over the current amount. I'm sure plenty of people would buy gold if it was legal/encouraged over how many do now, currently being illegal

Plus, Jagex can create gold, current RWTers just move it around. Can anyone say inflation?

If you don't see any value in half the skills in the game, then its not bad. RWT basically slaps legitimate players in the face, as if to say "you know all that time you spent earning your items, [bleep] it, we got em for the price of a happy meal". Not to brag but in the real world, I've got a good bit of extra cash and could easily buy 1b or so and just cheat my way to close to maxed total in a matter of weeks but it would devalue all the time I've put into this game. Plus, as I've mentioned in my earlier posts, the level of inflation from Jagex selling gold would cause a ripple effect that makes gold worthless, people would just barter with raw materials or whatever, and RWT-ers would come back. In all honesty I'd rather Jagex just get rid of free trade, it was a mistake to bring it back in the first place.

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

You're right, I absolutely value each and every skill in this game less than I do real money, as do my friends who are in need of it. I don't see RWTers as bad people at all, they're NOT bad people, they just understand that $100 is going to get them further than, oh, I don't know, ~230m

You're right, I absolutely value each and every skill in this game less than I do real money, as do my friends who are in need of it. I don't see RWTers as bad people at all, they're NOT bad people, they just understand that $100 is going to get them further than, oh, I don't know, ~230m

I never said they were bad people or somehow immoral, but that doesn't mean they aren't making the game less enjoyable. Besides, there are better ways to make money in the real world.

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

Jagex will never sell rs GP. even though you agree its "their property" on the ToC the day they sell GP is the day that if you get banned you can take them to court and sue them. If you sell something it implies ownership is shifted, otherwise it is illegal.

I think second life sold virtual stuff for real money and banned someone who bought that and got sued.

Jagex wants to avoid direct micro-transactions for that reason. They can get away with certain aspects now because those items are "gifts" or membership is a "bonus" to a free game.

Don't be silly. You'd obviously have to tick a check box that states you acknowledge you are only "renting" GP from Jagex.

Yeah there's no saying if RWTers are good or bad IRL, I just meant they could be either, but if they're bad, it isn't necessarily because of selling gold.

Cheating on a video game doesn't reflect what kind of person you really are in real life. Just shows you have different priorities.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

I'm in favor of micro transactions if they're done the right way. I've played games where the developers have pulled this off pretty nicely, specifically Lord of the Rings Online. For example, you can offer P2P benefits for sale to F2P players. This enables them to pick and choose which benefits they want instead of getting everything for the membership. Overall, it'd be less beneficial to buy all the perks seperately and would most likely not affect the number of subscribers but it gives casual players a certain amount of freedom.

I'm also not against selling items that are cosmetic. For items that can be gotten in game, I don't see much of a point in buying them from a store since we have the Grand Exchange. I guess they could sell bundles of items like an extreme attack, defense, and strength potion set or shards, pouches, and secondaries for a certain familiar. Additionally, they could offer something along the lines of an xp booster for a set amount of time. A book that boosts your experience by 50% for 30 minutes or an hour would not have a huge impact on leveling unless a player has large amounts of real money but could be useful grinding out that last xp for a level. To combat giving a rich player an advantage, these items could always have a cooldown period where you can't use them all the time. Quest rewards should still have to be gotten in game and players shouldn't be able to buy items they don't have the skill level for. I don't think all items should be offered since players can buy them from the store and sell for gp. I'm totally against selling straight gp.

I also like the idea of offering credit at the online store for in-game achievements. In LotRO, completing certain activities gives you Turbine Points, which can be used at the store. You can only get the points once per task per character, so it's not like a player could realistically milk the game for points. This offers players who don't want to spend extra money a chance to recieve the same perks.

This is just my two cents though.

Don't be silly. You'd obviously have to tick a check box that states you acknowledge you are only "renting" GP from Jagex.

Its illegal to destroy federal reserve notes because the government owns them. Doesnt mean they can take the ones im "renting" without a [cabbage] storm. Like I said Jagex will get themselves in a legal mess should they start selling runescape money and if such players happen to get banned.

All it would take is a simple right up in the ToS, and they would have their ass covered.

If I go to a restaurant, purchase some food, and then turn around and start pissing on the carpet, the restaurant can 1. kick me out, and 2. refuse to refund my money. Same concept, different scenario.

With that said, people could still sue Jagex for getting banned, and most likely would if they had invested some money in it. It would go to court, judge would make a ruling, depending on how he felt was right, and Jagex would likely win (unless there was lack of evidence to show this guy clearly violated ToS, which could happen)

w4M8t.png

If the money wasn't created out of thin air or was sold in unalchable items, i'd prefer jagex selling gp. otherwise, bots have a less negative impact.

Maybe they could implement a small "ge tax" or something, like in a lot of other games, and use that money to fund the gold selling... it wouldnt really cause inflation, I don't think, but maybe the stock wouldnt be high enough

First post on this site, well here goes.

Personally I think Jagex selling RSGP is a terrible idea. As other people have already stated inflation would be terrible because gold would become devaluated especially when all the RWT sites start to undercut Jagex. Also, to the guy who said that he got his money back from the movie theater after throwing popcorn, that probably doesn't happen that often, I have been kicked out of theaters for much less without a refund. Jagex could definitely write something to cover themselves in their Terms of Use policy or whatever. All that being said, I hope whenever the Jagex staff ever starts thinking about selling RSGP they slap themselves in the face and realize once they figure out a foolproof way to stop the horde of bots roaming around (captcha anyone?) a lot of the game economics would fix themselves. That's my two-cents.

riderr_boi26.png

Jagex could definitely write something to cover themselves in their Terms of Use policy or whatever.

No they cant. :lol:

Just a warning to Jagex should they sell gold, they will get lawsuits against them after bans and they will be successful.

Even if Jagex writes 500 times, this is our property and we can ban you cause we feel like it.

Jagex loses their rights to do so when they sell you gold. Even if they wrote on there 500 times during the gold buying process that Jagex still owns the gold, they still legally gave up ownership when they sold it, even though they wrote 500 times all over their terms and conditions that its otherwise.

There are limits to Terms of Service, and your understanding of the ToS is also important and how Jagex conducts themselves also plays a part.

For example a guy was renting a room for 2000 a month, but only paying the guy 1600. The guy was accepting 1600 for a few months before demanding the rest of the money he is owed. The renter refuses, so he takes him to court. First thing the judge does is ask the renter his understanding of the agreement, he said "I thought it was 1600 a month" and then asks the owner if he accepted the money and deposited it which he said yes to. The judge ruled that through their actions they agreed to a new contract, despite what the writing said.

Same applies to Jagex (in the United States Uniform Commercial Code would dictate contract/commercial law, but the UK has their own equivalent which is very similar) if they conduct themselves in a certain way and you have a certain understanding you could get away with a lot even if they write a lot of stuff there, means nothing unless they follow their end of the contract too.

Like I said, Jagex will be opening a nasty can of worms should they choose to sell gold, doesnt matter what they write in their terms of service policy. Jagex will do well to avoid microtransactions.

could Jagex rent you gold? you could pay 50p to "rent" 1m gp for as long as you are a member or until it is spent.

would that get round any legal issues of ownership?

also if my girlfriend gives me 30m rsgp in return for sexual favours, does that count as RWT?!

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.