Moderator Trainee Recruitment Drive 2011 - CLOSED

Well, I'm going to be honest here mate, I don't see the big deal. This site has been running since well before you or I played RuneScape and the moderators they've picked have always been well qualified, so we should assume they have a decent system working here. If you're worried about it setting precedent for future recruitment drives, it won't because it's been like this as far as I can remember.

Anyway, I'm going to be looking forward to seeing the new faces on the moderating team.

j0xPu5R.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Articultural, if you really wish to go further into this, take it to PM's with a mod or admin (although as Y_Guy pointed out, there isn't much to talk about). This is not a thread for discussing why the requirements are what they are. I, and others, would appreciate if you didn't continue to derail this thread.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

Would like to be a moderator. But don't post much, and not on often.

Do like the tip.it site, been watching it since forever :).

I read all the times articles, love them. Good or bad (judgement issue here lol )

Been a member for a while, here and on RS.

I really like this site. The only one I use.

If you need an article, in french, let me know :)

I'm 52, l(francais) and live in Montreal.

I love this RS game. My stats are ok. Not great in some area :(

Andregiant.... You can all look me up.

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

Good luck to everyone who applied! Including me!

Can I edit my application and put in that I've been a Player Mod on RS since early 2005? I filled out the application right before I went to bed and forgot to put it in there. :oops:

Anyways, good luck everyone! :mrgreen:

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Can I edit my application and put in that I've been a Player Mod on RS for 5+ years? I filled out the application right before I went to bed and forgot to put it in there. :oops:

I'll make a note of it in your application :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Good luck to those applying, I think I browse too much and never post :lol:

Been on Tipit since 04 and less than 100 posts, just goes to show how little I post lol. Maybe I'll apply if I get to be a little better know next time this comes around :rolleyes:

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

He means stop talking before more serious action is taken.

Why because he makes a well argued point, providing feedback to the system and making some of the staff look a little off balance?

He means stop talking before more serious action is taken.

Why because he makes a well argued point, providing feedback to the system and making some of the staff look a little off balance?

Because we don't want to argue in circles and that's the only place the argument was going :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

I applied. Best of luck to everyone!

Edit: In my app, I mentioned that I'd like to moderate the Off Topic board. I would, of course, be willing to moderate any board, the OT would just be my first choice. I'd even be willing to work the graveyard shift :razz:.

If the admin/mod who reviews my application would like to contact me to discuss what would make the ideal bribe for them, please do so. (; Tripsis, the skittles are in the mail.

Is there a limit to the number of recruits you guys take, or do you just usually pick all of the good applicants and see how they work out?

Is there a limit to the number of recruits you guys take, or do you just usually pick all of the good applicants and see how they work out?

Well we don't have a set number, but we're honestly not looking to hire as many people as the previous recruitment drives. For the past two we were really focused on bulking up our numbers so we took on around 10-15 trainees. I think our numbers will be a bit less this time since we're not necessarily lacking moderators, we're just looking for some fresh blood and fewer, but high quality mods. So while we don't have a hard limit, I imagine it will be less than in the past :) Maybe 5-10 instead of 10-15.

Posted Image

Can I edit my application and put in that I've been a Player Mod on RS for 5+ years? I filled out the application right before I went to bed and forgot to put it in there. :oops:

I'll make a note of it in your application :)

Thanks so much. :D

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

1) What are the staffs expectations from moderators? What sort of knowledge and qualifications does a moderator need?

2) Given that free players are possibly less knowledgable regarding members aspects of the game, are they considered sufficiently qualified and eligable to moderate RuneScape sections?

3) How frequently would a moderator be expected to check the forums? How much time on average does a moderator spend moderating per day? Are moderators expected to work certain shifts, or just whenever they have the chance?

4) Are moderators required to moderate a certain amount of forums, or are they welcome to moderate as many or as few as they desire? Do they have a choice over which forums they moderate, or are forums assigned by staff?

5) Are moderators expected to attend staff meetings? If so, how frequently and what times? Or are most details posted in staff forums, where staff can read and comment at their leisure?

1) What are the staffs expectations from moderators? What sort of knowledge and qualifications does a moderator need?

Moderators are expected to:

• Respond to user submitted reports and deal with any rule violations they find during their casual browsing.
  • Participate in private moderator discussions to form policies, revisit old rules, add new rules, etc.
  • Moderators are encouraged to take on projects like forum contests, etc., but is not really "required" like the above two points are.

Desirable qualities and qualifications:

• We have no formal RuneScape knowledge qualifications. In this recruitment drive we will prefer candidates who are currently playing RuneScape and demonstrate good knowledge of the game, but we have no set requirements.
  • A certain level of maturity and professionalism.
  • Unbiased and fair.
  • Good sense of judgement.
  • Teamworker.

2) Given that free players are possibly less knowledgable regarding members aspects of the game, are they considered sufficiently qualified and eligable to moderate RuneScape sections?

F2P players are equally considered :)

3) How frequently would a moderator be expected to check the forums? How much time on average does a moderator spend moderating per day? Are moderators expected to work certain shifts, or just whenever they have the chance?

We don't have a specific time requirement, but we would prefer that moderators be online at least around 2-3 hours a day. Honestly I just pulled that number out of thin air but it sounds good. Not all of this time has to be spent moderating and it wouldn't all have to be in one sitting (it could be scattered throughout the day). Moderators do not have to work shifts or at certain times, it is whenever possible. Moderators can also sign out if they have a busy period in real life, go on vacation, etc.

4) Are moderators required to moderate a certain amount of forums, or are they welcome to moderate as many or as few as they desire? Do they have a choice over which forums they moderate, or are forums assigned by staff?

Moderator trainees are given 1 or 2 forums of their choosing. Local moderators have 8 boards which they can moderate by default. In addition to those 8 they can choose 1-2 more that are not covered by those 8. Global and super moderators have moderator powers in all forums. However, even though global and super moderators have powers everywhere, they are not obligated to moderate everywhere. We give them powers everywhere so that they CAN deal with emergencies, spambots, etc. But if they prefer, they can stay within their chosen forums.

5) Are moderators expected to attend staff meetings? If so, how frequently and what times? Or are most details posted in staff forums, where staff can read and comment at their leisure?

All important information is posted in private moderator forums. We never have in-game meetings. We do, however, greatly encourage our moderators to participate in on-going group messenger conversations. It's much easier to moderate this way because you can easily ask people for a second opinion, etc.

Great questions :) I hope my answers help.

Posted Image

Thanks for the quick reply, tripsis.

A few more questions:

1) What sorts of forum contest are we talking? Win a rank style contest, TET events, etc? Can you give examples of contests, and the type of participation you would like to see from a moderator?

2) When you say moderators can "sign out", I presume you mean a temporary break as opposed to say a permanent resignation? Also, if things are not working out for a moderator trainee for whatever reason (scheduling, too hectic, etc...), I assume they can just step down?

3) While I get that 8 is the default, what if a local moderator say chooses to moderate only 6 or 4 (or any number) of forums, are they allowed to opt for fewer forums? Also, are subforums regarded as individual forums or are they part of the main forum (example: MM&T in off-topic)?

4) I assume the group messenger conversations are the ones I hear Staff holds on Skype and/or the official IRC network? What forms of communication does staff use to contact each other?

5) Can staff use their moderator powers to blackmail Fook-A-Ji into revealing the location of the Underground Farm? Him and L6vi have been withholding this information for far too long! * :P ;)

* Question 5 is obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

1) What sorts of forum contest are we talking? Win a rank style contest, TET events, etc? Can you give examples of contests, and the type of participation you would like to see from a moderator?

It can really be anything you want! You could put together an art contest or caption contest and the admins could "sponsor" it with a rank contest prize. Or you could use your own prize if you have a membership card you'd like to give away (as an example). Other examples of projects include maintaining stickies. We have several awesome moderators who take on big sticky index projects that require constant updating. The most obvious example here is the real life pictures thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/267879-real-life-pictures-4/ . I remember in the past, pre-Grand Exchange, I would spend like 4 hours a week updating our huge price guide :D And finally, another example is just taking the extra mile to gauge the community's response to our moderation. On a few occasions moderators have stepped up to organize polls or discussion threads.

Again, these things aren't really required in the same sense as the other two points were. They're just other examples of what a moderator could do as a community leader. We're always open to any other ideas that moderators have for fun contests/projects/etc. :)

2) When you say moderators can "sign out", I presume you mean a temporary break as opposed to say a permanent resignation? Also, if things are not working out moderator trainee for whatever reason (scheduling, too hectic, etc...), I assume they can just step down?

Yep signing out is temporary. Whenever a moderator will be absent from the forum for more than a day or two, we ask that they let us know by "signing out." And a moderator may choose to resign permanently whenever they want if they lose interest, or real life becomes too hectic, etc.

3) While I get that 8 is the default, what if a local moderator say chooses to moderate only 6 or 4 (or any number) of forums, are they allowed to opt for fewer forums? Also, are subforums regarded as individual forums or are they part of the main forum (example: MM&T in off-topic)?

Subforums are regarded as individual forums with that number. So it's a combination of forums and subforums, totaling up to 8. The entire Local Moderator group has moderator permissions in those 8 forums. So we can't actually take their powers away in a few forums but they are not obligated to actually moderate all 8. So if they're only interested in 5 or those 8 forums, then they only have to moderate those 5. It's just the way the group is set up to have access to those 8 forums.

4) I assume the group messenger conversations are the ones I hear Staff holds on Skype and/or the official IRC network? What forms of communication does staff use to contact each other?

We mainly use Skype to communicate. A few other staff members use IRC but it isn't as popular. I'd say the most popular methods of communication are (in order): skype > forum > IRC.

5) Can staff use their moderator powers to blackmail Fook-A-Ji into revealing the location of the Underground Farm? Him and L6vi have been withholding this information for far too long! * :P ;)

Absolutely :mrgreen:

Posted Image

@Tripsis

Blackmailling is encouraged and acceptable wtg?! YES I REALISE THIS A JOKE, But even as a joke a seriousness answer such as that is diabolical muahahahahahaha!!!

But, whose farm is it???

-Saiga Tatsumi

Peace Homies! Photographer by Day! Sword Saint by Night!