Fixing the Issue

Nash

Ive always wondered what would happen if jagex gave higher lvls literally a new land to play on kind of like what blizzard does with wow on every expansion. It would allow for the higher lvls to train and get faster xp rates while somewhat seperated from the lower lvl players. But it would allow for jagex to remove the grind in a way since it would break it up that much more.

Also when you finish your idea and make a suggestion thread for it let me know and ill support it :thumbsup:

You know I always thought about that as an idea JaGex could mess with. Would be definitely interesting to see it, or at least played around with to see what the community thinks.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess thats one (very large and complicated) way of making the game interesting again for higher levels. I wonder if even just adding a different currency for higher level players to trade/use would change the outcome. That way lower level players get rsgp and higher level players (who need more coins for their gear respectively) could use this other currency. That would keep gear from being 500m for a chestplate.

Its like in international trades where when one countries currency hyper inflates the others dont go down with it. Itll just mean more of X currency will be needed to equal Y currency. Maybe its time for Jagex to add a currency that cant be botted (or even bought) into the game to try and maintain stability for the rsgp. By not being able to be botted I mean more like DG tokens and NOT like tokkul and trading sticks (since those are bottable).

Food for thought.

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

wont matter if it gets to the point where they take away free trade and wildy again. Or even worse, they move their efforts to mechscape and leave runescape to rot.

While comments like "they lower prices" are TRUE theyre also narrow-sided and only refer to the short term.

Lets play hypothetical!

Botting only gets worse;

-Yew logs drop to 100 each

-Sharks drop to 200 each

-Phats go 2x above max cash

-Santas get to 1bil

Ive seen what happens in other games when items get so rare/costly that they cant even be traded with using the coins/currency and its not fun.

We're trying to come up with ideas that not only get rid of the surplus of bots, but fix the reason bots are even needed in the first place. Im sure everyone can agree having the same xp rates from lvl 60-99 is kind of annoying. Summoning/Herblore are two skills in my opinion that do a good job trying to avoid this. while it gets more expensive to train, the xp rates are still MUCH faster as you lvl. Thats how it should be.

nashv.png

Ive always wondered what would happen if jagex gave higher lvls literally a new land to play on kind of like what blizzard does with wow on every expansion. It would allow for the higher lvls to train and get faster xp rates while somewhat seperated from the lower lvl players. But it would allow for jagex to remove the grind in a way since it would break it up that much more.

Also when you finish your idea and make a suggestion thread for it let me know and ill support it :thumbsup:

You know I always thought about that as an idea JaGex could mess with. Would be definitely interesting to see it, or at least played around with to see what the community thinks.

An area for high levels to train, the last time I think it was suggested (back in 2005-2006, if memory serves correctly: Mod Craddock hated the idea since it essentially segregated high levels from low levels, and may not have been well received at the time.

Now, I don't think there'd be much friction to it, but if that's the case, it's only a matter of time before a place like that is overrun with bots anyway.

[Aside: I don't know if/when I'll post that suggestion, but it's in progress. No promises on a forum post though.]

idgaf bots lower prices

Maybe prices need to be higher so that 'Scapers wouldn't be this damned apathetic towards the issue.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

idgaf bots lower prices

Unfortunately, what we need is higher prices and higher max cash. If the prices were higher, people would be able to actually make money on their skills. Also, if the max cash limit was higher, then we wouldnt have a problem with items being over it (probably).

wessan.png

How would moving high level players to another land make the game any less filled with grinding activities. All you did was move them to another land with the same activities. The only real solution would be to find a way to revamp every skill and find a way to make each one less filled with grinding activities to level them. Basically new fun ways to train without excessive clicking the same thing over and over again would somewhat help the bot problem. I don't think anything they could do would completely remove bots though. There's always gold farmers and people who just want max total/or a few 99s without having to do anything at all.

Of course more untradeables would work to help the gold farming bot issue but there's always going to be an issue with that. Chaotics really just made some things obsolete to the players who can stand training dungeoneering. I would love to see instanced bosses that drop decent untradeable equipment.

Bot hunts don't really catch enough of the bots to put any sort of a dent in the numbers of botters or make them any less confident that they won't be caught botting to be really effective. But it doesn't hurt to do it anyway (probably catches more than their awesome bot system...)

There is no happy medium when it comes to removing free trade/wild or not. There will always be someone unhappy. Removing free trade/wild really just made things harder on legitimate players to trade but it stopped a lot of gold farming. Bringing it back made it easier for legitimate players to trade but also brought back gold farming. Bringing back the trade limit between players wouldn't solve anything because you can just stake to RWT. Removing staking would just cause an uproar again and really wouldn't solve anything. Removing both is essentially removing free trade other than forcing players to trade on the grand exchange if they want to pay for something over the guide price. There's really no happy in between.

^The max cash limit isn't really a set limit by anyone. It's the highest integer the java runescape is coded in can handle. It can't be raised.

The max cash limit isn't really a set limit by anyone. It's the highest integer the java runescape is coded in can handle. It can't be raised.

It is set by Jagex and it can be raised. As discussed in an article from the Tip.it times, Jagex could change the "max" by moving to a long integer code.

wessan.png

The max cash limit isn't really a set limit by anyone. It's the highest integer the java runescape is coded in can handle. It can't be raised.

It is set by Jagex and it can be raised. As discussed in an article from the Tip.it times, Jagex could change the "max" by moving to a long integer code.

No. Just...no. It's far easier to implement newer forms of currency that counts as multiples of GP (a-la Spirit Shards) than it would be to shift around those variables.

---

Ultimately, in order to "fix" the issue of botting, we have to stop and consider what drives people to bot. It's more or less tedium, and if things are tedious, they're less likely to be done by a real person. There are exceptions, but you'd have to consider how often people really want to run an agility course for 2 hours straight.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

At Makoto:

Maybe so, but I was just pointing out that it can be adjusted. Then again, re-coding the game into that form might have more long-term benefits than just fixing the max cash problem. I'd rather Jagex think big picture than quick fix.

wessan.png

I agree that the big picture, although not as flashy and shocking as short-term, will have a better effect on the game.

-Instanced dungeons with bosses with untradeable drops (gear, loot, vanity clothes, etc) is a good idea

-The new high lvl player area was meant to be a way to offer faster xp rates for people on that land and have it away from the lower levels (So they cant train as fast)

In WoW when you first play killing a monster and getting 100 xp to kill it is good xp but once your higher lvl you need to kill stuff that offers more xp. Then all of a sudden killing monsters that offer 2,500 xp is good. The new mainland for higher levels is a way to offer that 2,500 xp without the lower levels getting ahold of it.

thats what we meant when we talked about the higher lvl lands.

nashv.png

Was this first game called "Coke Music" by any chance? Sounds juuuuusssst like that game I played as a young lad lol.

Yeah it was :) My name was Cali4nia I dont know if that means anything to you though lol

nashv.png

Was this first game called "Coke Music" by any chance? Sounds juuuuusssst like that game I played as a young lad lol.

Yeah it was :) My name was Cali4nia I dont know if that means anything to you though lol

HAH! That's nuts! I don't even remember my name, although I played the hell out of that game. I sucked so bad too, my best item was some kind of american idol rare lol. So sick that someone actually played that on here! Lol. I can't remember my IGN for my life but oddly enough your name seems very familiar.

Lol well im suprised somebody else knew of it too :)

Was a fun game, I enjoyed running the little "record label" and all that stupid stuff.

Can I ask you, did you play it around the time when people were hacking trades and when it got shut down?

nashv.png

Not really. Cokestudios was a really small game compared to RuneScape and the bots can't have a big as effect as the hackers/glitchers. I really want to know my IGN. I went to the site to log in but none of my old emails were recignized :( I only remember my password.

Its a new site entirely its not even a game anymore.

I dont mean do you see RS getting shut down. But do you see a trend with rule breaking in RS that was around towards the end of CS

You might want to check out f2p worlds if you havent recently. Its pretty bad.

nashv.png

Surely Jagex could hire 3-5 interns and let them go to town on fixing this problem...

Finally someone who thinks like I do... Seems like the cheapest and most effective way of removing bots...

That or personally I'd spend 4-5 hours a week bot-banning in exchange for free membership, wouldn't be hard to implement either imo. Put a system in place that for x amounts of bans (including of course a successful ban to a misreport ratio) gets free membership for a month. I'm sure they'd have more people offering to help then they could handle.

Dunno, if that happened I'd probably just make like 20 accounts, bot on them for 5 minutes then report them all so I could get free membership.

Fittyfive.png

Im not accustom to the injection thing your on about. But, wouldnt botter be able to Log in>Gets tested for this program>Passes test>Launches program? lol...

Surely they would have to run this test every so ofter, and it would lag the servers like crazy.

The bots inject their client into the games actual java coding. So if you do tests to look for that injection it will flag them and not let them in. Also tests while they play would be good since you do raise an interesting point. I dont know how it would effect the lags on the servers, since it would only test a fraction of the people online at any one time, not all at once.

I was under the impression they used packet sniffing, which isn't recognizable by the sender (Jagex).

lalalasig2.png