[DevBlog] Development of the Mahjarrat

Mil

The art piece! Similar to those at Kethsi! :D *Dances with excitement!*

I'm not gonna hazard a guess at when the quest is gonna be released, but I am honestly quite excited! :D I don't mind if there's a boss fight or not. To be honest, if all quests ended like that I'd get bored. Just don't make it something like "One Small Favour" and I'm happy. ^_^

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay im gonna kill the quest boss in 60 seconds with rapier, turmoil, overload, steel titan, and use no brews, just soul split

thats fun right?

Protip: use a rubber chicken.

I also believe they're talking about a Dragonkin storyline. Let's face it: we don't have a lot of facts about them yet. Only a lot of well-founded speculations. Like what are they really after? Chaos and destruction? The Stone? Do they still want to protect it or use it for their own plans? What really happened when they met Guthix? Etc.

priest_wiz.png

yay im gonna kill the quest boss in 60 seconds with rapier, turmoil, overload, steel titan, and use no brews, just soul split

thats fun right?

Jagex isnt gonna cater each boss to insanely maxed players...

They don't but maybe for a quest this big they should.

thats fun right?

But as the dev blog rightly pointed out:

The mahjaratt series as a whole has always largely appealed to questers who like story and lore and not been insanely big combat quests.

Why should that change just because its a finale?

It'd be like making a quest triology based totally around farming where you fight nothing; but then oh its finale better throw in a lvl 782 boss cause you know it's not a finale without an extreme boss monster just because.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

thats fun right?

OK, I'll tell you I'm going to take 64 seconds with exactly the same strategy, and that's because I'm not "insanely maxed". Besides, having those things isn't that rare at all, there are 50k+ people with overload, 40k with turmoil, probably over 50k with chaotic weapons (80k+ with enough tokens) and 17k with a steel titan. There's going to be a lot of overlap, but in the end I'd say there is a very significant group which won't be challenged by anything Jagex can afford to throw at them. Not that that is a bad thing, you don't want to exclude a large majority of the people, but right now the only things that are very challenging left are Nex and (solo) corp, as well as two old bosses: KQ and DKS, although in a very different way than intended I think (e.g. solo tribrid DKS on a high population world). Some dungeoneering bosses are pretty tough, too, though that usually comes down to rushing them in sub-ideal gear with little food. These are all good fun etcetera, but none of the hard bosses are associated with quests (Nomad is not hard if you have at least one out of ovl/turm/yak really). So when we're fighting Mahjarrat, I'd really want to see at least something on par with a handful of tormented demons (without the Stone of Jas to boost your stats) especially considering Lucien can apparently open some sort of portal that summons those demons long after he's gone. It wouldn't be right for Lucien to be weaker than tormented demons. And it'd add a little bit of spice to the quest cape.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

thats fun right?

But as the dev blog rightly pointed out:

The mahjaratt series as a whole has always largely appealed to questers who like story and lore and not been insanely big combat quests.

Why should that change just because its a finale?

It'd be like making a quest triology based totally around farming where you fight nothing; but then oh its finale better throw in a lvl 782 boss cause you know it's not a finale without an extreme boss monster just because.

I didn't mention the quest I was just saying maybe they should make a quest with an insanely hard boss. But I guess I'll mention the quest now. He said this quest is anticipated by that type of quester, not the whole series. Who said there can't be a storyline with a boss? He did say he wants it to be challenging with combat but not as hard as the nomad. Therefore there will be a rather hard boss and lots of combat. The storyline has always involved some combat.

The storyline dictates there will be quite a lot of combat, and while I want it to be challenging, I'm not aiming for it to be as hard as Nomad as this is a quest that seems to be most anticipated by the sort of questers who are more interested in storyline. As combat goes it will be particularly interspersed with plot. There will also be lots of exploration and puzzles

You know how dungoneering bosses have different levels based on complexity? Why can't quest bosses have different combat levels based on ours to make them good for everyone?

Like the old randoms that scaled, but tougher and more complex.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

^That would be nice. Maybe have 1 tormented demon + one for every 10 combat levels beyond 90, lol.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I like a fun fight but that doesn't necessarily mean a difficult fight. I'd like to see something where we get the power of the Stone of Jas or something and we get to murder things like we did in the Thok Fremennik Saga.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

I like a fun fight but that doesn't necessarily mean a difficult fight. I'd like to see something where we get the power of the Stone of Jas or something and we get to murder things like we did in the Thok Fremennik Saga.

Or have our stats boosted to 255 again and fight something ridiculous.

they should make the boss scale to the players level, low level players can still do the quest and higher level players can have a challenging fight aswell

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

they should make the boss scale to the players level, low level players can still do the quest and higher level players can have a challenging fight aswell

or on that note what about having several different ways to defeat the same boss like:

you can use you crafting + fletching + Mage levels to create some sort of mythic Ballista arrow

or

use your summoning and puzzle solving skills to unleash some insane beast that fights it for you

or

you can use your firemaking skills, puzzle solving skills, and a ton of boomstix and wipe the battlefield off the map

or

you cold run in there head first, sword slashing, potted to ****, and show that MF who's the real boss

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

Or they could stop using a quest cape as an excuse not to release high level content in quests. Jagex shouldn't have to limit endgame content (which the quest cape should be, even its examine says the most experienced of adventurers) because low levels don't have high enough stats.

Quests should be like tasks, where Jagex aren't afraid to put requirements in the 90s in multiple skills. If the rewards are worth it, people will be incetivised to train, and if not, it's the fault of no one but them. You can't honestly think that Jagex should reward you for your laziness by giving you an easier boss fight than a player who put in the effort and maxed combat.

10xy5fk.png

I don't mind higher requirements, but slowly. Though it's a bit too slow right now perhaps.

The art piece! Similar to those at Kethsi! :D *Dances with excitement!*

I'm not gonna hazard a guess at when the quest is gonna be released, but I am honestly quite excited! :D I don't mind if there's a boss fight or not. To be honest, if all quests ended like that I'd get bored. Just don't make it something like "One Small Favour" and I'm happy. ^_^

Well if you look at that picture there is word : "DIRAKS" which is fairy ring codes DIR and AKS which you use to get to the Kethsi...

So kethsi is part of mahjarrat quests, atleast that is confirmed now.

Or they could stop using a quest cape as an excuse not to release high level content in quests. Jagex shouldn't have to limit endgame content (which the quest cape should be, even its examine says the most experienced of adventurers) because low levels don't have high enough stats.

Quests should be like tasks, where Jagex aren't afraid to put requirements in the 90s in multiple skills. If the rewards are worth it, people will be incetivised to train, and if not, it's the fault of no one but them. You can't honestly think that Jagex should reward you for your laziness by giving you an easier boss fight than a player who put in the effort and maxed combat.

Or finally come up with a way to trim the quest cape. Introduce some sort of quest type after grandmaster. Quests that involve lots of time, effort and high skills. Quests that are difficult even for maxed combat players. Quests that require you to have multiple 85+ even 90+ skills. These quests would trim the cape and the regular (all quests up to and including grandmaster quests) quests would simply give the current quest cape. That way Jagex can release high level skills without having to worry about low level players losing their capes. I like your idea better but it seems even less likely to happen than a trimmed quest cape. Can't imagine how many players who only completed all quests just for the cape would rage if Jagex took them away permanently. Gotta remember Jagex caves in to the ragers every time.

@Soupy17

I was able to beat Nomad the day he was released with 90 att/str/def, no extremes, no soul split/turmoil and no clue about the kyatt nonsense. I did it wearing full void using a z spear, super set, and an inventory/tortoise full of rocktails.... Took like 7 tries though. Can't imagine what people can do to him with all of that....

Would be cool if the dragon crossbow is going to be released but it would have to really be something special to beat a chaotic crossbow. Would be even more interesting if the things they are talking about are untradeable(similar to korasi, still powerful but it can't be bought so you must complete the quest to use it).

What a [bleep]ing let down what the [bleep]? The rewards sound nice. New mage gear (wont be as good as virtus, that would be undermine it being endgame gear) and range equipment useful in specific situation. Cool. The boss fight(s) in the latest installment of the longest and most anticipated quest line wont be harder than nomad, which wasnt even that hard (people with <100 combat have beaten nomad).

2/5 -_-

Edit: I cant believe what a let down this is. Number of monsters in runescape that have not been killed by a single person: 1.

Number of bosses that have not been killed without food: 1.

Number of bosses that have not been killed solo by someone <100 combat: 1.

Nah guys we dont need new high level bosses, the ones we have are hard enough!!1

LOL

You know, maybe they won't be hard to fight againts, but perhaps there will be some insane puzzles etc.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Post from Paul:

I'm the lead developer for the quest. Mod Chris L has done a fair bit too with various bits and pieces from other.

I'm not sure where the

83 Fletching

78 Woodcutting

65 Dungeoneering

have come from - I suspect they might be for a different quest.

QFC: 198-199-21-62917201. Page 4.

priest_wiz.png

it would not be hard to scale the quest boss based on the level of the player

lvl 300 + (combat lvl ^2/40) for example would give some lvl 80 a lvl 460 quest boss (its still a grandmaster quest), while a maxed player rights a lvl 776

then based off this dicciculty, any xp rewars from a quest could be scaled like a dragonkin lamp

in a sense, a dungeoneering like quest. no at all like dungeoneering itsself, but an instanced situation thats created to be the same difficulty for all levels

if anything this would favor lower lvls, where regularly they have to work hard while high levels have a cake walk, this way they both have an equal challenge ahead of them

a_final_name.png

Or finally come up with a way to trim the quest cape. Introduce some sort of quest type after grandmaster. Quests that involve lots of time, effort and high skills. Quests that are difficult even for maxed combat players. Quests that require you to have multiple 85+ even 90+ skills. These quests would trim the cape and the regular (all quests up to and including grandmaster quests) quests would simply give the current quest cape. That way Jagex can release high level skills without having to worry about low level players losing their capes. I like your idea better but it seems even less likely to happen than a trimmed quest cape. Can't imagine how many players who only completed all quests just for the cape would rage if Jagex took them away permanently. Gotta remember Jagex caves in to the ragers every time.

@Soupy17

I was able to beat Nomad the day he was released with 90 att/str/def, no extremes, no soul split/turmoil and no clue about the kyatt nonsense. I did it wearing full void using a z spear, super set, and an inventory/tortoise full of rocktails.... Took like 7 tries though. Can't imagine what people can do to him with all of that....

Would be cool if the dragon crossbow is going to be released but it would have to really be something special to beat a chaotic crossbow. Would be even more interesting if the things they are talking about are untradeable(similar to korasi, still powerful but it can't be bought so you must complete the quest to use it).

I agree with this post. I'd LOVE to see a couple 90+ reqs for a trimmed quest cape quest. It'd give me something to go for as at the moment i'm just kinda making money and waiting around for the next good quest to figure out....

As for my opinion on the bosses and such, i want a boss monster that involves something like a little bit of combat, but more like Solus, where you have to chase him, and there are different elements involved in the fight. Go here, fight for a bit, the bad boss teles, then you have to go find him again, fight, but he knocks you out and retreats to his base... with like 20 tds blocking you from him. Would be EPIC!!! :thumbsup:

Oh and I just thought about something.... What if they teaser'ed us before by polling which boss we want to make repeatable, and the MOTM boss will be repeatable, only the boss will be like a GWD boss with nice new drops? :shock:

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

To be fair Jagex are slowly upping quest requirements. But it just doesn't make sense to make quest requirements leap in to the 90s when previously only needed say 50 or so.

I mean in the past year or so a lot of quest stat reqs have been pushed into the 70s or 80s (Well highest is mage at 80) so it is inevitable within a year or two we should start to see some high 80/low 90 reqs

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

While I don't think that the quest must have a hard boss because it's a finale, I think that depending on who the boss is, it should be difficult. Lucien (for example) is supposed to be crazily strong, one of the nearest things to a god, yet he'd be weaker than nomad (who gained a lot of his power by sitting on a chair absorbing the souls of dead soul wars bots...). To me that seems wrong. I do think a scaled boss would be something worth considering though.

As a side note, I think Sliske will be the person who has only been touched upon that will play a greater role.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png