What if Jagex changed the rules and permitted botting?

Sly_Wizard

Would you still play the game and not bot? Would you bot? Or would you quit the game in disgust? I'll admit that if Jagex changed the rules I might consider it, but more than likely I'd probably just quit all together. Not only do I feel there's no point in playing a game you don't actually play, but I couldn't see the point in playing a game in which you would almost assuredly be competing against a bot. As it is, it seems that most people bot because they can get away with it. If botting were legal, I'd expect the vast majority of Runescape players to bot themselves.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there would be a distinction between botters and non-botters like with DIY/not DIY now, and I wouldn't bot. There is not enough sense of achievent in that for me.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

depends on how the rules were changed, since jagex condoned them would they also supply them, or still make you go to third parties for them?

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

I would bot the skills I hate and play legit as normal

A list of things I would bot

Fishing

Mining

Runecrafting

Hunter

Agility

Thieving

Naturally those skills, pretty much all of them, don't require money to train, RC needing a little starting cash, and others needing tools, but generally those don't take anything to level up.

Skills that cost money to train in a realistic manner, I would make the money for myself. I would then proceed to bot the grinding of the skills with the money I didn't bot.

Such as

Crafting hides

Fletching arrows

Smithing bars

Making tables

etc.

None of these are fun for me, I like the end result, not the journey there.

No point playing a game if you're gonna let a bot have all the fun :P

Or is there...*twiddles moustache*

Nah, I'd quit if JaGeX did that :ohnoes:

vP6O8.png

Click for blog - Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature ;)

I don't bot because

1. I have lots of free time.

2. I've never hated any aspect of the game enough that I'd rather let a program do it for me.

3. Risk of account hijacking.

Jagex obviously can't or won't handle bots so I don't care what their position is.

Quit. I have all of the stats required to do the fun things.

What is the point of botting just to get some more meaningless capes?

It's an achievement to do it on your own... botting is just [bleep]ing stupid and the game would die quickly.

If Jagex permitted bots, then all Runescape would be botting.

I play Runescape for fun, and if Runescape gets overthrown with bots, then I would quit.

Maybe try WoW for the heck of it

Nani mo dekinai

Chanto dekinai

Sore ga dou shita?

Bokura wa wakai'n da

Nanimo dekinai

Sugu ni dekinai

Dakara bokura ni kanou sei ga aru'n da

~AKB48

Would kill the game really. People would bot for easy 99s and then just quit afterwards. For most games that you just buy one-off, cheat codes aren't really a big deal, but when it comes to games that depend on players to pay for monthly memberships, it'll kill the game because most people won't play afterwards.

j0xPu5R.png

I wouldn't bot on my main but I might bot up a 2nd zerker pure.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

I'd leave and never ever look back.

There's no point in playing a game in which you just give yourself the best stuff, and there'd be more than enough people to wreck my enjoyment of actually playing. Not that it hasn't happened already...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I would bot the skills I hate and play legit as normal

A list of things I would bot

Fishing

Mining

Runecrafting

Hunter

Agility

Thieving

Naturally those skills, pretty much all of them, don't require money to train, RC needing a little starting cash, and others needing tools, but generally those don't take anything to level up.

Skills that cost money to train in a realistic manner, I would make the money for myself. I would then proceed to bot the grinding of the skills with the money I didn't bot.

Such as

Crafting hides

Fletching arrows

Smithing bars

Making tables

etc.

None of these are fun for me, I like the end result, not the journey there.

I'd do exactly this, and for the purpose of having good keyer stats for dungeoneering, which is one of the only activities I truly enjoy in Runescape. I'm a combat nerd, so skilling has never appealed to me or my sense of achievement.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I did have a lot of fun running around frugoscape making anything I wanted.

But seriously, it would all depend on what they allowed you to bot. If they allowed you to bot skills that require lots of grind but don't necessarily harm any other players I'd be fine. If they allowed you to bot anything you want (mainly monsters that are already botted but not by everyone because of the slowly disappearing fear of being banned) I would probably quit. Well not quit as in never log back in, I'd bot 24/7 just to see how fast I could max. Then I'd stop playing.

I'd bot skills like agility, runecrafting, hunter, smithing, herblore, crafting, and construction if you could only bot certain things. I'm burned out from grinding thieving and firemaking already. I can stand all the other skills just because I can talk to people without slowing down.

I would quit if botting was deemed to be acceptable. Coins, levels, etc. would cease to have any value. I suspect that most of those who claim they would begin to bot certain skills would soon quit as well once there was no longer any human interaction in the game due to all the players being non-human.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

depends on how the rules were changed, since jagex condoned them would they also supply them, or still make you go to third parties for them?

^This is probably the most important question I would ask myself. If I had to get a bot from 3rd parties, absolutely not. If Jagex provided the bots I would consider it. The thing is, I do not have a lot of time to play Runescape, so if Jagex provided a bot to level up in certain skills like Firemaking, Agility, Runecrafting, Mining (which I am currently working on, tough), I probably would.

However, I still would play the game myself any time I was available to do so.

I would probably be a hybot (hybrid between player/bot).

wessan.png

I would quit if botting was deemed to be acceptable. Coins, levels, etc. would cease to have any value. I suspect that most of those who claim they would begin to bot certain skills would soon quit as well once there was no longer any human interaction in the game due to all the players being non-human.

Nah, I'd have my bot running while I was busy with IRL, then I'd come home and dungeoneer and reap the benefits without any of the pain. Because honestly, a lot of skills are just painful. I want to have fun, not click on agility course obstacles for hours and hours.

dgs5.jpg

I'd just continue playing like I normally do and most likely get outraged and quit. Botting is basically acceptable now and the rule isn't stopping anyone from botting that really wants to. What's the point in playing a game for achievment? You get the sense of accomplishment sure, but what did you gain? If you botted while you slept and played for enjoyment during the day, then all you did was achieve something superficial and further kill the game you play for enjoyment.

If you don't like a skill, don't train it. There are plenty of other things that are fun to do in RuneScape. You don't have to achieve max skills in your time in RuneScape. Therefore, botting is unecessary, unless you only strive for achievements and money on a virtual world.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I think the only one who really enjoys firemaking or agility is my autistic cousin who is obsessed with repetition.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like fm. At least, I don't find it as bad as some people say.

FMing doesn't bother me as much as say, agility, but only because I find it vaguely amusing to make shapes and patterns without losing time.

dgs5.jpg

What if Jagex dropped more party hats.... :-k

Now there's an idea we can all get behind. :thumbsup:

On topic: I, like a lot of other people apparently, would quit. Out of control botting is the reason I quit MapleStory.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...