What if Jagex changed the rules and permitted botting?

Sly_Wizard

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably still play, just not bot. It wouldn't give me the satisfaction that I get from the achievements that I get in game if a bot did it for me. Honestly the whole botting thing has always seemed really stupid to me, it's like buying a video game thats finished. (Sadly they do sell those. :mellow: )

Isaact20.png

Isaact20.png

I wonder how many people who hack themselves to 10th prestidge on call of duty continue playing for long...

This, so very much. It's a lesson I learned a long time ago with gaming-- the reward is in the journey, not the destination. Once you reach your goals and/or become godly, almost any game will stop being nearly as captivating. So if you cheat to max your stats/gear/money/etc in any game, you might as well not play at all, as the end result will be the same:

At first, it'll be like "woohoo I am GOD! I can afford anything and nothing can stop me!" Then after about an hour, it'll become "Ehh, what should I do now?" And five minutes later, you'll arrive at "What was the point of this game again? This is [bleep]ing boring." This is especially true in open-ended games, like sandbox RPGs and MMOs. Goals drive those types of games, and without goals, you really find yourself at a loss for what to do. That's a major flaw with Fallout 3-- you max your level way too easily, leaving just exploration with no real sense of accomplishment.

td2sig.jpg

My question is this:

Does the reward justify the effort, or are they simply too invested in the effort to see the end results objectively?

I mean, at the end of it all, you just have your stuff, your levels, and all the memories of you standing there, perhaps chatting with your friends idly or something, hewing out a rock or watching some chinchompas trap themselves repeatedly.

It seems like a lot of the people who became famous for their RS accomplishments all ended up quitting anyway.

8f14270694.jpg

wouldn't it be more efficient to bot?

just sayin'

It would also be more efficient to hack people's credit cards from PSN and just make money that way instead of getting a job. Legality of a method > its efficiency <_<

lalalasig2.png

there would be less of a incentive to play the game if we could all bot.

It's be just like Diablo 2 then. Everyone bots in that game, so there's no point to play it in multiplayer mode unless you're planning to play over a LAN with people you know.

td2sig.jpg

If this ever will happen (and the chances are minimal), then i would quit runescape at once, since is no point in playing the game if all you do is bot at everything. But that does not mean that I hate botters. Making bots help you be a better programmer , which is good, but the bots should not ruin this game.

Omg I would bot all skills to 200M and probably get a $1.000.000 dollar bill for all the electricity I wasted. Maybe... after all... that's not a really good idea... #-o

But seriously, I would never bot :P. I guess I would just continue playing and do the things I like, like Clan Wars and Fist of Guthix ;).

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

I wonder how many people who hack themselves to 10th prestidge on call of duty continue playing for long...

This, so very much. It's a lesson I learned a long time ago with gaming-- the reward is in the journey, not the destination. Once you reach your goals and/or become godly, almost any game will stop being nearly as captivating. So if you cheat to max your stats/gear/money/etc in any game, you might as well not play at all, as the end result will be the same:

At first, it'll be like "woohoo I am GOD! I can afford anything and nothing can stop me!" Then after about an hour, it'll become "Ehh, what should I do now?" And five minutes later, you'll arrive at "What was the point of this game again? This is [bleep]ing boring." This is especially true in open-ended games, like sandbox RPGs and MMOs. Goals drive those types of games, and without goals, you really find yourself at a loss for what to do. That's a major flaw with Fallout 3-- you max your level way too easily, leaving just exploration with no real sense of accomplishment.

I personally do have a hacked 10th prestige on MW2 + WAW (however I will add that I was already on prestige 8+ on both) and I still play simply because in a way the journey is the same as the end resultm(you go in matches to level up, the only other thing you can do is play matches) if you understand where I'm coming from. And yes I do find it fun recording gameplay because its just interesting and nostalgic to me :)

However I agree strongly with the Fallout 3 part. I have every achievement on that game, including DLC, and I don't think I've played it since, mainly because there are no more achievements left to unlock.

So following on from that. I probably would bot untill the point where everything is priceless because nobody wants it, or its easily attainable, which ima ssuming, would be pretty quick.

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

Would you still play the game and not bot? Would you bot? Or would you quit the game in disgust? I'll admit that if Jagex changed the rules I might consider it, but more than likely I'd probably just quit all together. Not only do I feel there's no point in playing a game you don't actually play, but I couldn't see the point in playing a game in which you would almost assuredly be competing against a bot. As it is, it seems that most people bot because they can get away with it. If botting were legal, I'd expect the vast majority of Runescape players to bot themselves.

If botting became "legal", then the genuine article game, itself, would become no better than "private servers" ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

I hope I can truthfully say to myself that I would stop playing entirely. Unless of course I'm already so distanced from society that I feel the need to "finish" the game before stopping.

I quit this game.

I hacked to 9th on MW2 and still play a lot :shades:

9th not 10th, you still have something left to do.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

However I agree strongly with the Fallout 3 part. I have every achievement on that game, including DLC, and I don't think I've played it since, mainly because there are no more achievements left to unlock.

So following on from that. I probably would bot untill the point where everything is priceless because nobody wants it, or its easily attainable, which ima ssuming, would be pretty quick.

Well, I've been researching various FO3 mods and discovered it adds so much to the game. The mods I am currently using now allow you to go beyond level 30 and exceed the 100 cap in your skills. It's nice.

td2sig.jpg

Well, I've been researching various FO3 mods and discovered it adds so much to the game. The mods I am currently using now allow you to go beyond level 30 and exceed the 100 cap in your skills. It's nice.

That was the best way to play Fallout 1 and 2 as well.

It's not quite comparable to RuneScape though; with Fallout you're talking about a static game with expansion packs (not 1 or 2, but I'm pretty sure 3 has a couple), while RS has new content added at least a couple of times a month.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I would still play legit on my account but I would probably have a side account on which I botted.

In the end I would probably quit because the game would lose its fun if everyone botted everything and accomplishments lost all their meaning.

Most people already bot and because of that the game has been getting more and more boring. If botting were legal it would only be fun for so long, then it would become pointless.