Anger while doing things you enjoy

The Observer

I know the title is a bit cryptic, so I'll expand on it.

Often times we can call ourselves calm and collective people by not getting angry at the slightest turn of events. However, a lot of people (including me) can sometimes get angry while watching sports games or playing video games. Although getting angry might improve your skill at video games because it releases adrenaline.

For example, your favourite hockey team is losing, and when the opposition scores some people would yell out a curse word, turn the TV off or just keep the frustration inside.

Do you get angry if you die during a video game or if your favourite team is losing (anything you're passionate about really)?

j0xPu5R.png

Well I think your title and post don't necessarily fit. I don't necessarily associate anger with passion. I am very passionate about video games, I love playing them, I love making them, I love drawing fan art for them, I'd love to start a career in the industry, etc. But no, I don't rage when I die in a video game. I'm disappointed, but I don't get angry. Despite that, I'm still very passionate about that. I'm also very passionate about art. I think about it all the time. I can't even be in a normal situation without observing how the light hits certain objects, or the beauty of reflections, and consider how I'd go about drawing something, etc. I do get very upset and demotivated when I can't make a piece of art work. But I don't curse or yell or headdesk. I usually quit out of frustration and do something else for a while.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm fairly passionate about drumming and skiing. When I need to learn something that I can't seem to get down on either of them, I take a moment, and try and break things down, and work until I can get them.

I think passion can extend to negative emotions, not just positive ones. In fact, I think 'passionate' is an adjective that can be put to just about any emotion except ones like "relaxed" which would be oxymoronic. When people rage at dying on a video game it's because they're passionate about not dying, which could be for a whole number of reasons like wanting to win, KA/D spreads etc.

Obviously I feel passionately for a whole number of things. I spend some of my free time updating an online encyclopaedia free-of-charge because I feel so passionately about my favourite sports team, and I feel passionately that anyone who wanted to know about them should be able to do so without having to pay for it. I also feel passionately about politics and modern issues, especially in regards to healthcare.

As for the example you gave, I only feel passionately about winning a game. I'm not one of these people who'll ragequit a FPS game because I'm dying a lot; so long as my team is winning, I don't care. I guess you could say it's an attitude I take very strongly from watching sport a lot. So really it depends on the context within a certain match about whether I feel frustrated. If I turn a blind corner on Halo and get shotgunned for my troubles, I don't feel so mad because a) I wasn't really to know any better, and b) I can warn my teammates about their location. If I die while holding a shotgun while defending an advantageous position (S3 on Countdown, or something like that), I tend to feel worse because my death has given the other team a huge advantage and made my team's troubles that much worse.

As for being the final death in a 74-75 Squad Slayer game... it doesn't really get much worse than that. I can go 20-5 or something and still feel awful in that situation. Of course the flipside of that is being getting the match-winning kill. Damn that's a sweet feeling.

But I find getting mad doesn't really help because, yes, it boosts adrenaline but it also increases stress which can have a detrimental impact on concentration and focus.

If I'm playing a game and it comes down to a really intense moment and I loose, I can get pretty angry for a sec, but then I just keep on playing the game.

Like, if I'm playing battlefield, and I'm disarming an M-COM, and I get killed right as I'm about to disarm it, I'll probly let loose a few choice words.

Rejected.jpg

It really depends on the circumstances. For videogames I won't get angry unless there's some kind of outside factor that's been making me angry beforehand. That'll usually result in some swearing, or in one or two extreme cases, a hole in the wall next to me.

For real sports, like football, I generally find that getting angry at the other team/your team, etc, is just not a good thing. Being able to kinda harness that anger is good and it can definintely help out but a lot of the time it can just end with you doing something stupid, haha.

These are really the only things that can set me off, but, like I said, it depends a lot on outside influences and events. I don't just get angry because my team's losing or whatever.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

It takes A LOT to get me angry.

The only time I can recall getting pissed off at a video game, is while playing FFX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy85sHGnIUk

Damn time-consuming, luck-based, unfair minigame with upbeat, casual background music... :x

edit: the youtube comments speak for themselves lol

77yLQy8.png

Oh man, I rage when I die. Too controlled to break anything, but I'll swear and yell. Especially if I don't agree with the death - so in BFBC2 being shot by a sniper after sitting still for a while is just annoying, but being knifed by a guy facing away from me pisses me off.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I only get mad in video games when there's really, really high stakes and almost no room for error, and the game client crashes or you disconnect or something. Then you log back on and you're dead. c:

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I get really mad at racing games when I'm in first and something happens and i end up in last, that or when i just have a horrible streak of bad luck in a game.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

My best basketball games ever (as a player myself) have always been when I am very angry on someone/something. I used to get a teammate slap me to get some anger in me :D .

So confirm.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I can raeg very hard at a game. Even if I enjoy the game. Although it's a different type of raeg from the raeg I get from playing a horrible game.

I can get very competitive at sports too but the difference is I suck at sports. It's not fun if I don't win sometimes.

In any sport I play I tend to get a bit mad...

I've broken a few badminton racquets (not cheap ones as well) from throwing them at the ground in anger and general shouting/swearing loudly. Theres just something about the sport I guess?

Eh its funny really as I'm just a friendly quiet person in real life...

Doomy edit: I like sheep

I don't rage over video games; if I do get mad, its a playful thing to get motivated to win.

For other things, it goes the same way. Getting a little bit angry can help motivate you to succeed.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I was in martial arts for a few years and still practice with my bo staff a lot even though I don't go to classes anymore (I only really enjoyed the wepons training, and about a year after picking up the bo staff for my first time, my instructor informed me that I'd become better with it than he was and he couldn't teach me anything more with it.) Whenever I'm in my backyard practicing new tricks that I've seen on youtube or whatever I get a little angry when I can't get the hang of the trick. When I do manage to get the trick perfected though, it's an amazingly great feeling. Even better when I call my parents outside to show them and they are impressed by it (Yes, I'm 17 and still like to show off for my parents :oops: )

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I get really mad at racing games when I'm in first and something happens and i end up in last

Me too. Although it goes away after a few seconds.

Also, for a specific example of a death that angered me:

I was playing Risen and a Dwarf Chieftain 1HKO'd me... I had full health and good armor (not to mention highish level)... I re-loaded, went back and killed him with my axe.

As for watching sports (about the only other thing I really enjoy), I'm used to my teams losing and even blowing late leads, so I don't get worked up over that anymore.

I don't generally get frustrated enough to shout at a game.

If I get killed in an FPS (especially online), I'll try the same technique again, and if I get killed again, I'll change my tactics until I minimise my losses. I see it as a way to develop my tactics for future games. Unlike some who insist on trying the same methods over and over again in the vain hope that they might kill the person.

In racing games, if I spin off, it's usually down to lack of concentration. If I keep spinning off, I'll take a while off it to calm down and refocus on the game.

I have become quite angry in the past, but I try to see the positive in 'frustration'.

I get furious at halo because my team is so damn awful always.

I have a MAJOR problem with teams too. Get it? :-P

But seriously I'm thinking of going on a Halo forum and finding a decent team. Although I'm going to hate it, I hate these [bleep]ing people that spent hundreds of dollars just to stare at a wall while I'm out there consistently fighting 1 on 3 battles more.

I know I get frustrated at people who sit there in a corner for the entire match. Especially if they're on my team during Team Deathmatch. At least use a window. This way you can get some more kills.

j0xPu5R.png