Jagex should re-release rares

Da Pirates

He has a point, phats and other rares are approaching max cash! We need SOMETHING to bring them back down.

We had something, but then they brought RWT free trade back.

On topic - If Jagex had dealt with this issue back in 2003 by either making the previous year's items untradable or simply making them available for purchace from the general stores or Thessalia then this wouldn't be an issue now.

Some were already over max cash. Just not in the grand exchange. You had to do backflips to trade for a partyhat instead of simply trading with cash. It wasn't better.

It wouldn't really help anything but the only way they could do this would be giving the players the equivalent value of the rare in cash then re-releasing them (already mentioned earlier). It's not like this will ever happen anyway though. I'm not sure how taking away the few things the richest players have to spend money on away and having them find something else to spend their money on will solve any problems. It would probably cause more problems then it would fix (if it would fix anything).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a point, phats and other rares are approaching max cash! We need SOMETHING to bring them back down.

We had something, but then they brought RWT free trade back.

On topic - If Jagex had dealt with this issue back in 2003 by either making the previous year's items untradable or simply making them available for purchace from the general stores or Thessalia then this wouldn't be an issue now.

Old GE with the price limits wasn't really something. Phats were virtually unbuyable off the GE and the whole "street value" system was pretty messy. Letting the items rise to their 'natural' value really is better.

Re-releasing rares is a bad idea. It would make a bunch of rich players lose a lot of their value and the rares would be worthless afterwards anyway so there would be little reason to buy them.

Agreed, the price limiting wasnt a good idea. As for re-releasing AND compensating the owners with their cash... Then they wouldnt be as cool. Who wears that stupid santy claws hat? Nobody.

Side note; your f2pness is AWESOME <3

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

Runescape is actually lucky to have such rare items to trade. These items are the high-end items economies need. All economies need products ranging from the lowest (1gp) to the highest (in this case Blue p-hat at like 3.5bil). The fact is that these items keep money flowing through the economy once people become richer in the game or else people would just have hordes of cash. Also, considering the max cash limit Runescape has, players need items to invest in so they can continue money flow.

If the money is not moving from player to player, then the economy comes to a grinding halt. The fact that rare items move a large percent of the economy could be a sign they are overpriced (partyhats may be but certainly not h'weens and santas), but the transactions they take part in are more help than hurt.

Most people selling a rare are probably going to do something with the money and not just sit on it... that is what some rares are for, to sit on. So that means the money is probably going into the GE to buy materials for skilling or other items, which gives money back to other players and spreads the wealth.

In short, rares are like private planes, yachts, and mansions. Someone has got to have them in the world or else they would have nothing to do with their money, and that would be a bigger detriment to the economy.

BTW: I only own a Santa hat so Im not defending the rich based on my wealth.

wessan.png

^ thats why i dont object to their price. I only suggest they make other "expensive entities" for people to sink their cash into. That way the demand for expensive nonsense gets spread around and not all on just 6 colorful paper hats.

nashv.png

^ thats why i dont object to their price. I only suggest they make other "expensive entities" for people to sink their cash into. That way the demand for expensive nonsense gets spread around and not all on just 6 colorful paper hats.

Any item released, no matter the levels required to use it, will decrease in price unless it is only obtainable for a limited amount of time. The problem with that scenario is there are many more players now than when party hats and the other rares were first released. Any tradeable discontinued item released now will never have the same rarity and value of the old ones.

The amount of money in this game would be astounding if they turned all rares in GP. If you re-release, you ruined the cash hold of many people and they'd hoard some other semi-rare item. Third age again anyone? Partyhats were junk after staking and free trade were taken out. They were UNSELLABLE on the GE for months and third age was the traded with partyhats in order to sell it. Does no one remember this? That is what would happen if rarers were to become commons. Some other item would fill the niche and guess what, you just created a new rare. Congratulations JaMflex.

You'd have to raise the GP limit by changing to 64-bit in order to even crash rares a little. Furthermore, you'd have to release an update larger than the Nex, with more game-changing gear. Then again, people have max cash stacks and rares these days anyway.

Theoretically, all rares can never go above max cash. You will always need to be able to buy one with cash and continually upgrade it to reach the top rare.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I remember how PISSED I was when I picked up my bunny ears and found out I couldnt trade them lol :P

The point made about item prices only "decreasing in price unless it is only obtainable for a limited amount of time" is a good one.

Maybe they should release more limited items?

Like that detectives outfit you got if you did the stupid event that week (wish i had :()

I know you cant trade that outfit but something along those lines would be interesting to see.

nashv.png

I remember how PISSED I was when I picked up my bunny ears and found out I couldnt trade them lol :P

The point made about item prices only "decreasing in price unless it is only obtainable for a limited amount of time" is a good one.

Like that detectives outfit you got if you did the stupid event that week (wish i had :()

I know you cant trade that outfit but something along those lines would be interesting to see.

I don't think limited items is the answer as this would just be repeating the cycle. One thing to consider would be high level, untradeable items that require lots of time/effort to get. Lets say there's a monster that costs 1m+ in supplies each time you fight it (not counting any items lost on death), and it takes hundreds of trips to get all of the items in the set. This set would be better than all other respective items in the game, and rightly so, but players can't sell it. It'd be a choice for players to get it or not. You'd have an advantage over others, but it would also take lots of time and money. This is one conceivable money sink since 1) players have to come up with the money for supplies to kill it and 2) all the time spent killing it is time they are not making money elsewhere.

This is just an example of a money sink that could draw money away from the discontinued items market and towards the high-level items that players can get as drops (spirit shields, Nex armors, etc.)

I don't think limited items is the answer as this would just be repeating the cycle. One thing to consider would be high level, untradeable items that require lots of time/effort to get. Lets say there's a monster that costs 1m+ in supplies each time you fight it (not counting any items lost on death), and it takes hundreds of trips to get all of the items in the set. This set would be better than all other respective items in the game, and rightly so, but players can't sell it. It'd be a choice for players to get it or not. You'd have an advantage over others, but it would also take lots of time and money. This is one conceivable money sink since 1) players have to come up with the money for supplies to kill it and 2) all the time spent killing it is time they are not making money elsewhere.

This is just an example of a money sink that could draw money away from the discontinued items market and towards the high-level items that players can get as drops (spirit shields, Nex armors, etc.)

Buying items from other players as supplys is not a money sink, it is a money transfer. A money sink directly REMOVES money from the game - construction & summoning. Your idea is a good one, but the supply should be unique to the store and purchasing them will remove money from the game. I do believe this is a long term money sink solution that may last longer than 99 con and summ, as those two sinks eventually end.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

What Jagex should have done way back was to simply carry on making holiday items tradeable and only available on one day, that way the value should be spread out among alot more items I think. Also as more and more people started playing the game the amount of "rares" in the game would increase, making the allure of the party hats less. I think #-o

Snowjoke.png

Stupid thread is stupid... Rares don't cause inflation in anything other than rares, if suddenly nobody had rares but instead had billions of gp, they'd buy other items = demand up with same supply = higher prices. Also given that at the moment rares are the most expensive items in the game and are thus where many people hold their money/aim to be, removing their value would seriously anger tens of thousands of players, hell it would annoy me and I don't even have one.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

I figured that there are so few rares now that they really don't impact the economy that much. For most people I've talked to, they don't consider having a rare as a goal that they'd be willing to go for. Instead, they'd go for useful pseudo-rares like the greater spirit shields or a Zarosian armour set. This trend is only set to continue, and I'm fine with that.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Why did I even bother opening this topic....

1. First of all, that would mean that more money are being invested in other things, such as weapons and raw materials. Literally billions of gp that was saved and used to buy rares would hit the other markets. That would put a lot of pressure on other items to go up in prices due the increased demand. This possibility would also just drive merchanters to merch different items with their billions, meaning that a lot of average players would suffer from the situation.

2. What would it exactly fix? It wouldn't stabilize anything like you claim at your starting post, it would just shake the markets more than any single update has ever done. This us done for example due the affects listed above and for the fact that money should be kept in other things instead, meaning that other items would be hoarded instead. This is due the fact that the amount of money is limited to a reasonably low amount. At least I rather see the economy as the way it is and let people have a bit higher "margins" with rares than remove a lot of useful items from the markets as the money just has to be kept in some non-gp form.

3. How would it be done properly? Just one day say that all your rares were deleted or made untradeable? That would cause a huge loss of players due the fact that long time accomplishments were destroyed overnight. Not exactly something Jagex would do at their current situation, they are already suffering from the lack of customers. Give it in money? Yea, that would definitely fix it, only several max cash piles would be created overnight and due the circumstances they would more than likely hit the markets immediately, causing a higher demand of other things. Re-release them? That idea would be doomed to fail, seeing that it would just (along with economical problems mentioned earlier) cause a customer loss, in future put pressure to re-release other things and so on.

The idea of re-releasing discontinueds or removing them is failed to doom because:

1. It has no real purpose.

2. It would just cause other problems

3. There's no proper method of doing it

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

They could just insert phats into the grand exchange. And no-one would notice it.

Or they could release one of those awesome updates they do where everything glitches to hell and you can duplicate any item you want...

Snowjoke.png

Theoretically, all rares can never go above max cash. You will always need to be able to buy one with cash and continually upgrade it to reach the top rare.

You can trade over 53B at once with Spirit Shards.

I still don't see why you have a problem with rares existing, what's wrong with them?

10xy5fk.png

I hate to plug my own thread... but I think they should add a second currency for the higher leveled players.

This would bring the prices back down on things like partyhats.

Think of it in these two ways;

-You can buy a soda with 100 pennies or 1 dollar

-When one nations currency inflates, the other nations dont change. It only means that the first nation will need more of its currency to trade with the others' currency.

WTF, my alt is named Nash.

So people make skillers and other stuff to game the system.

lalalasig2.png

OP

No, just no...

This idea is absolutely terrible and makes no economic sense as far the benefits you claim are concerned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I even bother opening this topic....

1. First of all, that would mean that more money are being invested in other things, such as weapons and raw materials. Literally billions of gp that was saved and used to buy rares would hit the other markets. That would put a lot of pressure on other items to go up in prices due the increased demand. This possibility would also just drive merchanters to merch different items with their billions, meaning that a lot of average players would suffer from the situation.

2. What would it exactly fix? It wouldn't stabilize anything like you claim at your starting post, it would just shake the markets more than any single update has ever done. This us done for example due the affects listed above and for the fact that money should be kept in other things instead, meaning that other items would be hoarded instead. This is due the fact that the amount of money is limited to a reasonably low amount. At least I rather see the economy as the way it is and let people have a bit higher "margins" with rares than remove a lot of useful items from the markets as the money just has to be kept in some non-gp form.

3. How would it be done properly? Just one day say that all your rares were deleted or made untradeable? That would cause a huge loss of players due the fact that long time accomplishments were destroyed overnight. Not exactly something Jagex would do at their current situation, they are already suffering from the lack of customers. Give it in money? Yea, that would definitely fix it, only several max cash piles would be created overnight and due the circumstances they would more than likely hit the markets immediately, causing a higher demand of other things. Re-release them? That idea would be doomed to fail, seeing that it would just (along with economical problems mentioned earlier) cause a customer loss, in future put pressure to re-release other things and so on.

The idea of re-releasing discontinueds or removing them is failed to doom because:

1. It has no real purpose.

2. It would just cause other problems

I feel like you wrote this while stirring a cup of coffee and slowly shaking your head in disapproval lmao. +1 :D

The_Arrow.pngGanja_Saint.png

what the hell would i buy with my 5b

What this game was built around...skills

While I agree to some extend, there's only so much you can spend on skills for some people out there.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

They dont wanna create instant wealth to a lucky few thats why they said they would never create a rare again.

Climbing boots

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

They could just insert phats into the grand exchange. And no-one would notice it.

If more than one person managed to get as lucky as to land a blue/white phat in the GE in one day people would notice.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

If anyone asks, you heard it from me:

Jagex will add Phats and such to Membership loyalty program or Gamestop membership cards.

They re-opened Classic and brought Free trade and Wilderness back. Why would they not release rares again?

What they might do to compensate rare owners:

Give them market price of their rares in geeepeeee. And possibly make rares untradeable.

He has a point, phats and other rares are approaching max cash!

You realise Blue is 3.8b minimum now. Lots of discussion atm is hinting toward 4.5+

Went past max cash a while ago.

As a phat owner, i wouldnt really care if they became untradable or something similar. I only have it because i dont know what to do with my cash.