Cars 2 - Pixars first flop?

kamykazee

cars2poster.jpg

As you may be aware of, Cars 2, the 12th Pixar full-length movie has been released 2 days ago. For those who are fans of the animation studios films, they may know that past Pixar films have received glowing reviews from critics and regular audiences alike. 10 out of 12 of these have received approval from over 90% of the critics, which include two sequels for the Toy Story franchise, which broke the general myth that sequels are usually worse than the initial films, by receiving even better reviews than the first!

The only film that, up until this point, had dragged Pixar's acclaim down somewhat had been the initial release of Cars, which only achieved 74% of the critics liking, which is still considered better than average. This record has now been broken with the release of Cars 2 which achieved a new low in the likes of 34% - 60% maximum range, being called rotten by most critics.

Has the era of Pixar domination ended or is this an expected result considering the initial Cars film wasn't particularly shinning to begin with? I myself have not seen the film yet and it is unlikely that i will since i am one of those not particularly fond of Cars, but i found it mind-blowing to see a 34% rotten rating from critics on a Pixar film. What's your opinion on it? :D

Final1.jpg

Don't plan to see it, but I think the reason is it's not as emotionally attracting as the other Pixar movies. Cars aren't something everyone identifies with as well as something like kid's toys as in Toy Story. This, combined with it taking them forever to make the sequel, just led them off to bad reviews unavoidably. Pixar has a long way to go before they've "ended" though, releasing one flop movie doesn't indicate a failing company. They'll bounce back, I'm sure.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

It's still pushing to do about 75M+ for the three-day weekend.

Can't always go by what the critics say - I've seen films come and go that get terrible reviews, but are fan favorites and draw in the crowd.

It does appear to be drawing in the crowds, which is ultimately what it's about i suppose. It won't be a commercial flop but the fact that it got bad reviews (unheard of for a Pixar movie before) is a bit mind-boggling :P

As animated films are becoming more and more popular there are constantly new contenders, but ofcourse Pixars over 15 years of untouchable reputation will mean that the normal audiences still have alot of high regard for them.

Final1.jpg

I like Cars, but Cars 2 was....not as good to say the least. It's not difficult to say that it's the worst Pixar film yet. It doesn't have that same wonder and awe as the others.

I thought the first Cars was the weakest of any Pixar film, and from the previews the sequel doesn't look much better.

I'm still waiting for a Monsters Inc. sequel. Anyone?

[hide]A sequel was officially confirmed in 2010.[26][27] The original release date of the film was November 16, 2012, but it was later changed to November 2, 2012 to avoid competition with The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn.[28] On April 5, 2011, it was announced that the film's release date had been pushed back to June 21, 2013 due to the success of Pixar films that are released in the summer, according to Disney distribution executive Chuck Viane.[29]

In early 2011, there were claims that Monsters, Inc. 2 was going to be a prequel which focuses on Sulley and Mike's studies at the University of Fear, where they start off as rivals but soon become best friends.[28][30] On March 29, 2011, it was confirmed that the film will be a prequel and the new title Monsters University was revealed. The feature will be directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae.[31][32] It was also announced that John Goodman and Billy Crystal will be reprising their roles.[33][34][/hide]

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I actually enjoyed the first Cars movie. I never expected great things from the second one but I am disappointed to hear about the reviews. I'll still be seeing it at some point anyway.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I didn't even know it was out. The advertising seems to have been non existent in my area.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I didn't even know it was out. The advertising seems to have been non existent in my area.

It's not out for another month yet over here - 22nd July.

Frankly, Pixar can afford a flop. They've been walking on water for so long, it was only a matter of time. I think with Cars being one of the weaker films (personally I find Ratatouille to be the weakest), a sequel might have been a bit risky. I fully expect for it to be a great film though - but it's not like they're going to be able to top their latest releases of Toy Story 3, Up and Wall-E.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

(personally I find Ratatouille to be the weakest)

Oh [bleep], I completely forgot that was even a Pixar movie.

I stand corrected.

Also, yay @ a Monsters Inc. sequel!

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

It's not out for another month yet over here - 22nd July.

Frankly, Pixar can afford a flop. They've been walking on water for so long, it was only a matter of time. I think with Cars being one of the weaker films (personally I find Ratatouille to be the weakest), a sequel might have been a bit risky. I fully expect for it to be a great film though - but it's not like they're going to be able to top their latest releases of Toy Story 3, Up and Wall-E.

No wonder I hadn't heard anything about it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It looks like a cash grab, something unusual for Pixar to do.

The Cars toys are really popular among children, so this is probably just to continue the line of products.

Anyway, Cars never really was a traditional Pixar film. I thought it was okay, but the characters were hard to care about and were pretty one-dimensional. But all I can say about Cars 2 is that, it's intended for kids. Doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it too, but it lacks the magic of other Pixar films.

Anyway, I still can't wait for the Monsters Inc. sequel (or, prequel, I guess).

If this is being interpreted as a cash grab (makes me unsure they'd really need one after Toy Story 3), I hold out the hope that it's to give Monster's Inc 2 more funding. They managed to do a good thing with Toy Story 2 & 3, can they do the same for Monster's Inc? One of their best films?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

You guys disliked Ratatouille? O_o It was actually the first film i saw from Pixar (i had no notion of who they were before). It was trully a good movie for me. I know it was just the typical love story, evil guy, typical hero (blah blah) but it had its magic. After that i saw Wall-e, which was weird ... but i liked it, it was pretty good. Up was my next and was also pretty good. I then watched Toy Story and Toy Story 2 and when Toy Story 3 came out last summer i really liked it.

I am especially fond of those little short films they show at the beginning :P

Final1.jpg

Only reason Pixar did this was for money. Cars was incredibly popular, made alot of money not including merchandise / licensing, even if it didn't win any big awards. Cars was popular with young children, Cars 2 will be too.

I'm guessing they don't care if it's a critical flop, they'll still be raking it in.

Only reason Pixar did this was for money. Cars was incredibly popular, made alot of money not including merchandise / licensing, even if it didn't win any big awards. Cars was popular with young children, Cars 2 will be too.

I'm guessing they don't care if it's a critical flop, they'll still be raking it in.

toy story 3 was another money grab. people act like pixar is in it to make art or something.

toy story 3 was another money grab. people act like pixar is in it to make art or something.

Nah, Toy Story 3 didn't feel like a money grab.

Just a satisfying finish for those who grew up watching the films.