Cars 2 - Pixars first flop?

kamykazee

You guys disliked Ratatouille? O_o It was actually the first film i saw from Pixar (i had no notion of who they were before). It was trully a good movie for me. I know it was just the typical love story, evil guy, typical hero (blah blah) but it had its magic. After that i saw Wall-e, which was weird ... but i liked it, it was pretty good. Up was my next and was also pretty good. I then watched Toy Story and Toy Story 2 and when Toy Story 3 came out last summer i really liked it.

I am especially fond of those little short films they show at the beginning :P

How did you not see Toy Story as a kid?blink.gif

Only reason Pixar did this was for money. Cars was incredibly popular, made alot of money not including merchandise / licensing, even if it didn't win any big awards. Cars was popular with young children, Cars 2 will be too.

I'm guessing they don't care if it's a critical flop, they'll still be raking it in.

toy story 3 was another money grab. people act like pixar is in it to make art or something.

Nah, Toy Story 3 didn't feel like a money grab.

Just a satisfying finish for those who grew up watching the films.

It definitely didn't feel like a money grab, and even if it is - it was one I can certainly forgive them for. Toy Story 3 was amazing.

And I don't see why Pixar really would need to money grab with the sort of money they rake in and I do actually buy into the idea they're in it for the art. Maybe I'm being a bit naiive, but I like to think so.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

It definitely didn't feel like a money grab, and even if it is - it was one I can certainly forgive them for. Toy Story 3 was amazing.

And I don't see why Pixar really would need to money grab with the sort of money they rake in and I do actually buy into the idea they're in it for the art. Maybe I'm being a bit naiive, but I like to think so.

if they make a 4th one, that will confirm your naivete :-P

idk i liked the film and all, but it wasn't necessary. it definitely wasn't better than the first two either if you ignore nostalgia. i liked the ending though.

if they make a 4th one, that will confirm your naivete :-P

idk i liked the film and all, but it wasn't necessary. it definitely wasn't better than the first two either if you ignore nostalgia. i liked the ending though.

If I recall correctly, Pixar was only contracted by Disney to do 3 Toy Story films, so a 4th one is probably not going to happen.

I'm pretty sure they couldn't pull off a 4th. Trilogies work - I doubt they'd do a 4th.

Tom Hanks just said that they're in the process of making a 4th Toy Story...

When asked if there would be a Toy Story 4 for Hanks young daughter to watch, the two-time Oscar winner replied deadpan, "Yeah, I think there will be. Yeah, I think they're working on it now."

http://movies.ign.co...0&RSSid=1179201

I don't understand what Pixar is doing. First Cars 2, then Monster's University, and now talks of Toy Story 4? 3 was the perfect ending to a perfect trilogy. They need to leave it alone and start making something original again (or at the most, one Incredibles sequel because that was animated movie perfection :P and there are many possibilities for a sequel).

1icyna.png

Tom Hanks said that? Last year Lee Ukrich, the director of Toy Story 3, said there definetly wouldn't be a 4th. Would be weird for pixar to turn on their word, not like them :blink: But then again, Jagex have also turned on their word quite alot as of late, so we can expect anything i guess >_<

Final1.jpg

Tom Hanks said that? Last year Lee Ukrich, the director of Toy Story 3, said there definetly wouldn't be a 4th. Would be weird for pixar to turn on their word, not like them :blink: But then again, Jagex have also turned on their word quite alot as of late, so we can expect anything i guess >_<

Please, NEVER AGAIN compare Pixar to Jagex. Ever. I will find you.

serious-business.jpg?1287187612

PM me for fitocracy invite

but yeah, pixar is a saint

Correction - Pixar appears to be a saint. If they really are remains to be seen. I think after the critical flop that Cars 2 proved to be, we might see a different face of them. If they ever make a Cars 3 then there's a good chance they aren't in it just for the art anymore :D Since all their films have thus far been great successes we could only see one side of them. And also, just because it has made ALOT of money from past films doesn't mean it does not want more. The more you have the more you want and we can see this by their plans to start releasing 2 films a year starting from 2012.

Please note, none of the above necessarily mean Pixar is a money-grabbing greedy animation studio, it's merely speculation on my part. I am still a Pixar fan :)

Final1.jpg

I was shocked when I saw those low ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. And not to mention the reviews. Cars has always been one of my favorite Pixar films, but I knew it wasn't all great according to others. But I never expected the sequel to sink this low. I'll still be seeing this one since I'm a die-hard Pixar fan (I watch all the movies several times per year :P).

I personally think Ratatouille is their "worst" film, but maybe Cars 2 will prove me otherwise. We'll see. I can't wait for Brave though, that sounds like a "typical" awesome Pixar film. :mrgreen:

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Ratpatoutie was good...

I liked Cars but that's because I'm a car guy.

Toy Story 3 = masterpiece of Picasso caliber. Real tear jerker at the end, and was a perfect send off to college (I just saw it late 2010).

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I have yet to not like a Pixar film, and I doubt Cars 2 will change that. I wonder when I'll see it.

I hope there isn't a Toy Story 4.

3 was a perfect conclusion to the series.

I agree. 4 would be unnecessary, as much as I love the movies. I would still see it, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally watched it today. It was a fun movie, nice - didn't have the pixar touch of making you cry like Wall-E, Toy Story 3, Up, Monsters Inc & Finding Nemo have had. It's not a sad film, it's not brilliant, it's just fun and I liked it. I don't consider it a flop - I just don't consider it a masterpiece.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Vehicles just aren't my thing. Wasn't a huge fan of Cars 1, and I probably won't go out of my way to see Cars 2.

Pixar is amazing, though. I don't think I've ever gotten sad at an animated movie the way I got sad in Wall-E. And Up was just funny as hell.

EDIT: I think the music in Wall-E was pretty rad, too. Oh, and to correct myself, it was more of a good sad kinda feeling, like when Wall-E survives that pod blast and they come running to each other (him using the fire extinguisher).

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

[...]it's not as emotionally attracting as the other Pixar movies. Cars aren't something everyone identifies with as well as something like kid's toys as in Toy Story.

I agree. Emotional appeal had to be pushed which in turn hurts the plot/character development.

I didn't like the original Cars because... they're cars. I felt as though I was watching a livened-up version of Nascar for little boys. I never planned on seeing the sequel.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot