Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Loyalty Rewards Say to Me

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Trevorghost
[ Display Name History ]

Trevorghost

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Trevorghost

A company trying to make money...? HOW COULD THEY LET THIS HAPPEN?

Also, you act like Jagex isn't going to make anymore updates because of this.

A company is developed to make money, but a company doesn't make any money unless they can keep their consumers happy, which Jagex has failed to do via this update.

I didn't imply they won't be making any more updates at all. What I said is that this development time could have been better spent on another piece of content. Auras isn't a bad idea. The game needs a new equipment slot. But witholding auras to only those who pay Jagex is frustrating. Auras could have been used for a Slayer update, a boss drop, anything but this Loyalty garbage.
Quest Points; 317/317
Last Quest Completed; Deadliest Catch

Posted Image

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

I understand that the runescape player database is going down

It is? Because Jagex's financial reports show they've been gaining profit year on year, every year since 2003 when the game really started taking off. But since you're clearly more informed than Jagex's own accountants and lawyers, do tell where you obtained this information.

I said player database going down which I extrapolated from this.

You could try using actually related facts next time. Jagex's profits from subscriptions has gone up, meaning more subscribers. Their profits from advertising have increased, meaning more free players looking at ads. More free players, more subscribers, yet you still think the numbers are shrinking.

What exactly does the "player database" mean, in your line of thinking? Because if it isn't number of active players/subscribers (which is going up), then what?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

I can't say I agree with such an appraisal. Personally, I see it as nothing more than very lazy, crass marketing. Most sane game developers do not resort to these sorts of cheap tricks.

Your right about that. Sane developers use micro-transactions and have you purchase DLC's as it much simpler to make money that way.

But sane developers do not force anyone into buying DLC, and generally make no more than 4 (as a rule of thumb). Jagex, on the other hand, are employing every trick in the book to coerce people into paying for RS, lest they want to miss out on half of the holiday items available and so on. It's shameful.

You aren't forced into buying membership. And even if you were its like 5 dollars, the cheapest subscription cost I've seen in the mmo market.

I don't think you realize that these 'tricks' are what keep the price cheap. Complain all you like about their behavior but also recognize 5.95 a month is a good deal for all that we get.

True, you're not "forced" into buying membership. But the gradual transfer of many aspects of the free game to the members' game is a very sly way of trying to lure free players with the means to pay into doing so.

I disagree that these tricks keep the game cheap, and I do not recognise that $5.95 is a good deal. Frankly, I think it's the most Jagex could get away with charging for RS, considering that it plays like a drunk 90s PC RPG made by a blind person. The fact that it's a Java-based MMO does not - in my mind - justify shoddy gameplay mechanics, and neither does the cheapness justify calling adding a few items an "update". At the end of the day, the basic tenets of the game grow more and more outmoded by the day, but Jagex decide instead to continue cramming it with "stuff" to divert people, or perhaps just themselves.

They are a business, get it? They want you to pay. They would never deny that.

5.95 isn't a good deal? Then tell me what mmo is, please. Dead frontier will run you 8.50 and it's described by its developer (the ONLY developer) as a bare bones game. It also has mictro transactions that let you buy anything. $15 a month + buying the box set for wow. Big suprise here; they also have micro transactions. Guild wars was a good deal but it's mostly dead now. Developers jumped ship to work on guild wars 2.

So where is this cheaper-than-5.95-no microtransaction-amazing updates every week- no advertisments - no promotions mmo that puts rs to shame?

I'd like to see it. Cause right now it looks like your just a spoiled rs player.

Blutters
[ Display Name History ]

Blutters

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  • RSN:Blutters

I understand that the runescape player database is going down

It is? Because Jagex's financial reports show they've been gaining profit year on year, every year since 2003 when the game really started taking off. But since you're clearly more informed than Jagex's own accountants and lawyers, do tell where you obtained this information.

I said player database going down which I extrapolated from this.

You could try using actually related facts next time. Jagex's profits from subscriptions has gone up, meaning more subscribers. Their profits from advertising have increased, meaning more free players looking at ads. More free players, more subscribers, yet you still think the numbers are shrinking.

What exactly does the "player database" mean, in your line of thinking? Because if it isn't number of active players/subscribers (which is going up), then what?

Maybe he meant the number of people actually sitting behind their screen playing RS, but that's obviously not something we can actually measure.

2dgucz6.png

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I can't say I agree with such an appraisal. Personally, I see it as nothing more than very lazy, crass marketing. Most sane game developers do not resort to these sorts of cheap tricks.

Your right about that. Sane developers use micro-transactions and have you purchase DLC's as it much simpler to make money that way.

But sane developers do not force anyone into buying DLC, and generally make no more than 4 (as a rule of thumb). Jagex, on the other hand, are employing every trick in the book to coerce people into paying for RS, lest they want to miss out on half of the holiday items available and so on. It's shameful.

You aren't forced into buying membership. And even if you were its like 5 dollars, the cheapest subscription cost I've seen in the mmo market.

I don't think you realize that these 'tricks' are what keep the price cheap. Complain all you like about their behavior but also recognize 5.95 a month is a good deal for all that we get.

True, you're not "forced" into buying membership. But the gradual transfer of many aspects of the free game to the members' game is a very sly way of trying to lure free players with the means to pay into doing so.

I disagree that these tricks keep the game cheap, and I do not recognise that $5.95 is a good deal. Frankly, I think it's the most Jagex could get away with charging for RS, considering that it plays like a drunk 90s PC RPG made by a blind person. The fact that it's a Java-based MMO does not - in my mind - justify shoddy gameplay mechanics, and neither does the cheapness justify calling adding a few items an "update". At the end of the day, the basic tenets of the game grow more and more outmoded by the day, but Jagex decide instead to continue cramming it with "stuff" to divert people, or perhaps just themselves.

They are a business, get it? They want you to pay. They would never deny that.

5.95 isn't a good deal? Then tell me what mmo is, please. Dead frontier will run you 8.50 and it's described by its developer (the ONLY developer) as a bare bones game. It also has mictro transactions that let you buy anything. $15 a month + buying the box set for wow. Big suprise here; they also have micro transactions. Guild wars was a good deal but it's mostly dead now. Developers jumped ship to work on guild wars 2.

So where is this cheaper-than-5.95-no microtransaction-amazing updates every week- no advertisments - no promotions mmo that puts rs to shame?

I'd like to see it. Cause right now it looks like your just a spoiled rs player.

Calm down, Nipples; it seems like you took my comments on RS a little personally. Let's take a step back and think for a second: why might I say that RS isn't a good deal? You've successfully regurgitated a lot of facts about various other MMOs, and generously reminded me that Jagex is a business, something I'd otherwise be oblivious to. But in doing so, you've totally missed the point of my previous posts.

Price is not the only thing that must be considered when developing a successful game. If it were, then surely Budget Carnival Simulator or whatever those £10 Wii games are called would be at the top of all sales lists. As it happens, they're not, because video games consumers generally don't mind paying as long as the game is good. That is why WoW dominates the MMO market, irrespective of price.

The fact that there are no microtransactions and a low price doesn't mean anything to many people. If you're going to pay for an MMO, surely someone is going to opt for a better game if it means shelling out more cash. Advertisements are perhaps the only thing you mentioned that make a difference to most people. As for "amazing updates every week"... I don't think you can categorically say that. Quite a few people disagree with this loyalty scheme, for example.

Similarly, if people just wanted a quick, easy to play game, irrespective of the quality of the game, then www.zxspectrum.net would be the most popular gaming site in the world; it offers a myraid of Java-based emulations of ZX Spectrum games from the 80s, all for free. But the fact is that the games are repetitive and dated, and the same applies to RS. It doesn't matter that it's Java based and there are limitations; at the end of the day, people aren't going to

In the same way that video games sequels need to be fresh enough to be both justified and commercially successful, so too do MMO developers need to keep their games feeling fresh. Jagex fail in this respect because they just cram RS full of little things like items and quests, but the archaic game mechanics do not change. More successful MMO developers revamp their product every now and again, so as to modernise it.

Thus, $5.95, no microtransactions and all the rest count for little if the game itself is a bit shoddy. That's why I wouldn't call RS a "good deal".

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts
If you think no micro transactions and low price account for nothing you are oblivious and can't be helped.

You clearly hate runescape or have some issue with Jagex, That's cool. But why are you on a fansite?

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

If you think no micro transactions and low price account for nothing you are oblivious and can't be helped.

You clearly hate runescape or have some issue with Jagex, That's cool. But why are you on a fansite?

By no means do I hate RS. I played RS for 5 1/2 years and levelled cooking to 99 on one acc.

But in the end, I just thought: why am I still clicking on stuff? This isn't interesting anymore, and I've far better ways of spending my time and better games to play. I've nothing against it, but I just got bored with the repetitive, slow, jerky gameplay. I may decide to do back, who knows.

As for your first line: never said they "account for nothing" (should be "count for nothing"), but I merely pointed out that they are not the only thing that matters; gameplay is, in my mind, far more important. I don't know whether you misinterpreted what I've previously said, or whether you enjoy misconstruing it, but I'd recommend you refrain from doing so as you have.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts

The fact that there are no microtransactions and a low price doesn't mean anything to many people

Playing dumb now I see. Very cool.

I would suggest you head on over to Zybez. Your hatred for Jagex and your naivety will both work to your benefit there.

And 'Account' was the correct and appropriate word to use. Well done.

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

The fact that there are no microtransactions and a low price doesn't mean anything to many people

Playing dumb now I see. Very cool.

I would suggest you head on over to Zybez. Your hatred for Jagex and your naivety will both work to your benefit there.

And 'Account' was the correct and appropriate word to use. Well done.

Look, Napoleon, look at the words I wrote: "to many people". Then let's look at what you said

If you can't see the difference, then it's certainly not a good reason to launch into vitriolic and personal attacks against me.

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts

Look, Napoleon, look at the words I wrote: "to many people". Then let's look at what you said

If you can't see the difference, then it's certainly not a good reason to launch into vitriolic and personal attacks against me.

I see the difference. It's still a ridiculous comment.

And I apologize for what you perceived as personal attacks. The way you posted, I assumed you had come to terms with and accepted it. I'll be clearer in the future.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RSN:Nomrombom
Both of you are being [bleep]s. Play nice :angry:
PM me for fitocracy invite

Heisenberg
[ Display Name History ]

Heisenberg

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 302 posts

Looking back over my posts, your right.

Legit apologizes, the negativity on this forum affects me at times.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Looking back over my posts, your right.

Legit apologizes, the negativity on this forum affects me at times.

Same here, it's understandable :^_^:

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RSN:Aceethan

But now, that's exactly what Jagex is doing. Replacing content with this marketing garbage. A little piece of me died when I read this month's Behind the Scenes. It finally became clear that this isn't the RuneScape I grew to love. This is a game I don't even know anymore.

I just don't know how much more I can handle.

A piece of you died, really? When I think of a piece of someone dying I think of that person losing family or losing the ability to walk, you know, something LIFE CHANGING.

If you don't know/love the game anymore and can't handle much more then go away. No one told you you had to keep playing. I really fail to see how this bothers so many people. It's not like if you don't subscribe every month you get hurt in any way. And as of right now, the advantages gained by loyalty points are not that huge.

Sure, maybe this a bit of a new more extreme marketing tactic, but it affects gameplay for everyone very little. If Jagex makes it so the prizes for "loyalty" really give people advantages that impact game play, then there will be a problem. How about just for now, just for a little bit, we don't condemn every knew Jagex update as an instant abomination.

Soupy17
[ Display Name History ]

Soupy17

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • RSN:oh mikey oh
oh shut up lmfao
LOL

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

But now, that's exactly what Jagex is doing. Replacing content with this marketing garbage. A little piece of me died when I read this month's Behind the Scenes. It finally became clear that this isn't the RuneScape I grew to love. This is a game I don't even know anymore.

I just don't know how much more I can handle.

A piece of you died, really? When I think of a piece of someone dying I think of that person losing family or losing the ability to walk, you know, something LIFE CHANGING.

If you don't know/love the game anymore and can't handle much more then go away. No one told you you had to keep playing. I really fail to see how this bothers so many people. It's not like if you don't subscribe every month you get hurt in any way. And as of right now, the advantages gained by loyalty points are not that huge.

Sure, maybe this a bit of a new more extreme marketing tactic, but it affects gameplay for everyone very little. If Jagex makes it so the prizes for "loyalty" really give people advantages that impact game play, then there will be a problem. How about just for now, just for a little bit, we don't condemn every knew Jagex update as an instant abomination.

Without exaggeration, every update in the past month or two has been crap except titles, emotes, and the whip update. No bot stoppers, no new areas, crappy quests, gimmicky crap, etc.

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RSN:Aceethan

Without exaggeration, every update in the past month or two has been crap except titles, emotes, and the whip update. No bot stoppers, no new areas, crappy quests, gimmicky crap, etc.

So let's just go ahead and review from the beginning of May until now in the terms of updates.

May 3- Capes of Distinction. I thought many of these were cool and I know many other people share my opinion.

May 16- Lava Flow Mine. Although I have never played this activity, I've heard it's pretty fun and the gold armor reward is awesome for mining.

May 25- Death Hats. This one goes to you because these are pretty lame, despite the positive graphics boost to Draynor.

June 1- Fremennik Sagas. know very little about this one, so I don't feel justified judging it, although it appears to lean to the more suckish side.

June 7- Deadliest Catch. One word: Crap

June 14- Troll Invasion. A fairly good new activity giving both combat and non-combat options.

June 28- Loyalty Program. I big debate over this one obviously, but I still see this as a fairly cool update and you said you like the titles and emotes.

July 1- Behind the Scene. Promises some great and really cool things in July like Clan Citadels, whip update, and a new quest. Hopefully Jagex can back up their talk.

July 5- Salt in the Wound. The the release of a much anticipated quest that looks like fun despite the low requirements. Jagex also kind of shot them selves in the foot here by releasing this new axe thingy which is much like the loyalty program, but in my opinion much worse.

So, in conclusion, I count 5 good things with the promise of more to come as compared to 3 bad things and one that could go either way. Maybe you don't share my opinion of these updates but I think if a company can get more then 50% of their updates right then they are doing fine.

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Unretired Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,389 posts
  • RSN:Cowman_133
I'm actually kind of annoyed that it only takes affect now and that there is no difference between if you've already been paying for RuneScape since 2003 or if you started paying to play June 26. I've been paying for years on my account and it feels like a bit of a slap in the face to start out with the same basic 500 "loyalty points" that people who joined last week get. If Jagex really wants it to be a loyalty program and not just a gimmick to get new subscribers, it should be rewarding people who have been paying for years prior to this program's creation. I'm sure they have that on file somewhere.

Other than that I don't really care. I might make use of the stuff available. Might not. I don't really care. I acknowledge Jagex is just trying to make money and it doesn't matter to me how it turns out.

Except what the hell is with the user titles? That is the most annoying thing since quick chat.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Except what the hell is with the user titles? That is the most annoying thing since quick chat.

Titles rock 8-)

I have sir. I'm saving up for king.

Have you seen the names people are making with the titles? I've seen comecision (somebody on this forum had that name) and vix :lol:

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Unretired Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,389 posts
  • RSN:Cowman_133
Titles are just more clutter in the chatbox. I hate them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users