What Loyalty Rewards Say to Me

Trevorghost

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I checked, this isn't a topic discussing whether or not people should be giving Jagex a deserved pat on the back. This is the rants forum, where people may blow off steam and (intelligently) debate their frustrations out. If people wish to keep discussing whether or not a compliment or a complaint has a bigger impact on Jagex throughout its history, then I think that would make a swell topic in General Discussion. But please, for the sake of topicality, focus on the main points the OP created. Thanks :)

hzvjpwS.gif

This update implied to me "we want more money and suscribers nothing else"

But also in regards to the update i think it was well done despite the thousands of people causing the site to crash XD

I also think that with the katana introduction they are using that as a stepping stone to implement more features? Correct me if im wrong

Going for 99 fletch and 50 everything SIGH

Taylor_Jakov.png

It must be just me, but I'm really enjoying this membership loyalty content. The idea of having one or two new items every month as a 'thank you' is a really nice idea, and I'm looking forward to getting a new costume sometime soon :) . With that said, I still thoroughly enjoy all the new content-the slug quest and the ae are a good example. Jagex is still doing good quality content, but perhaps your expectations have changed.

I'm not an efficienado.

Last I checked, this isn't a topic discussing whether or not people should be giving Jagex a deserved pat on the back. This is the rants forum, where people may blow off steam and (intelligently) debate their frustrations out. If people wish to keep discussing whether or not a compliment or a complaint has a bigger impact on Jagex throughout its history, then I think that would make a swell topic in General Discussion. But please, for the sake of topicality, focus on the main points the OP created. Thanks :)

Sorry :mellow:

I really hope this doesn't lead to microtransactions, although it would be good for me since I can make a lot more per hour IRL than in RS.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Sorry :mellow:

I really hope this doesn't lead to microtransactions, although it would be good for me since I can make a lot more per hour IRL than in RS.

Also sorry :(

It must be just me, but I'm really enjoying this membership loyalty content. The idea of having one or two new items every month as a 'thank you' is a really nice idea, and I'm looking forward to getting a new costume sometime soon :) . With that said, I still thoroughly enjoy all the new content-the slug quest and the ae are a good example. Jagex is still doing good quality content, but perhaps your expectations have changed.

Exactly how I feel.

Crossefico, you need to calm down. Stop overreacting to this and also lower your expectations. But hey, I guess you feel like you're "forced" to renew membership since you're semi retired, but I guess that means the update worked, no? Btw, you can cancel your membership, no one is forcing you to pay.

Staurolite.png

Crossefico, you need to calm down. Stop overreacting to this and also lower your expectations. But hey, I guess you feel like you're "forced" to renew membership since you're semi retired, but I guess that means the update worked, no? Btw, you can cancel your membership, no one is forcing you to pay.

If you're going to throw around silly accusations, at least spell my name correctly - last time I checked, there wasn't a user called "Crossefico" on TIF.

I wouldn't say that I and many members of the community are "overreacting" and have "high expectations" when we slate this loyalty programme; I'd just say we've seen throught a badly thought out ploy to try and get people paying. It's undoubtedly the influence of Jagex's new owners: private equity firms.

And no, none of what you said about me feeling "forced" to renew my membership holds any basis in fact. I cancelled it in December when the referendum came out. I call myself semi-retired because I play sporadically but can't do much with two accounts with little raw cash and mostly members' items. I don't really want to play much anymore, however, so it suits me fine.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I recall yourself saying this loyalty programme forces people to pay. I'm only going off what I read here.

And yes you totally, undoublty know this is private equity firms' doing. Frankly, I don't care who thought of this genius plan, because I quite like the rewards, I think they are neat, and since I play non-sporadically, I say this update was very well done.

Crocefisso. Sorry for butchering you name, switched up the double s' and the c. :ohnoes:

Staurolite.png

Guest jrhairychest

I recall yourself saying this loyalty programme forces people to pay. I'm only going off what I read here.

And yes you totally, undoublty know this is private equity firms' doing. Frankly, I don't care who thought of this genius plan, because I quite like the rewards, I think they are neat, and since I play non-sporadically, I say this update was very well done.

Well said. It's nice to be rewarded for continued support of a product. The only issue I have is that I paid for some years by direct debit from my bank yet I don't recieve anything.........hmmmmmmmmmmmm :-k

I can't say I agree with such an appraisal. Personally, I see it as nothing more than very lazy, crass marketing. Most sane game developers do not resort to these sorts of cheap tricks.

Your right about that. Sane developers use micro-transactions and have you purchase DLC's as it much simpler to make money that way.

But sane developers do not force anyone into buying DLC, and generally make no more than 4 (as a rule of thumb). Jagex, on the other hand, are employing every trick in the book to coerce people into paying for RS, lest they want to miss out on half of the holiday items available and so on. It's shameful.

Ha. Haha. Ahahahaha. Gahahahaha. Do you really know what every trick in the book is? Every trick in the book includes, um, not having f2p except a free trial and extensive micro-transactions. Frankly, given how Jagex has only recently started these rewards and the facebook-RS acc integration, I think they've just started to read this metaphorical book. In fact, from what I've seen, if all you're after is money then you're better off just offing subscriptions and concentrating on micro-transactions instead.

As for this update, if the update doesn't cause any more then the usual amount of rage-quitting most updates seem to induce, judging by the rants section :rolleyes: and causes people to retain membership when not playing for these loyalty rewards, then it's a very good move on their part. I think that in terms of recurring-memberships, this could be one of their most successful updates every because people keep being a member for it.

Note that I'm not necessarily a fan of this update, as it brings Jagex one baby-step towards micro-transactions and I would hate to see those in RS. But I'm enough of a capitalistic [bleep] to recognize and respect a good business plan* when I see one. Plus, this update made me want to subscribe again so I wouldn't miss out (note that the reason I quit was because RS gets too addicting for me at times and not because of dissatisfaction with Jagex) and thus, their plan worked on me lol.

*what I think is a good business plan

@ Above: I think one of RuneScapes major failures is the fact that there are very few new players* starting RS and sticking with it. I could be wrong.

*By new players I mean the person behind the keyboard; I want to make this distinction because a lot of people seem to go through multiple RS accounts, especially if they're into customizing an acc for PVP purposes.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

• 3 weeks later...

Full support, cash shop is a term which doesn't really fit a game like Runescape... I think it is more or less giving richer people in real life an unfair advantage over some players...

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

It is literally impossible now for any new player to start RS now because every single new player resource is so stupidly full bots. Cannot even find a single chicken to kill. Even sea gulls at Port Sarim are being botted. And by not banning the bots, Jagex only risk to lose more of their legit players.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Ha. Haha. Ahahahaha. Gahahahaha. Do you really know what every trick in the book is? Every trick in the book includes, um, not having f2p except a free trial and extensive micro-transactions. Frankly, given how Jagex has only recently started these rewards and the facebook-RS acc integration, I think they've just started to read this metaphorical book. In fact, from what I've seen, if all you're after is money then you're better off just offing subscriptions and concentrating on micro-transactions instead.

RS is not a good enough product to be able to justify micro-transactions and not offering a F2P form. It'd be commercial suicide. The phrase 'every trick in the book' is just that: a phrase, not a something I was stating as fact.

Just you wait and see what happens to RS once Jagex is floated on the FTSE.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

• 2 months later...

RS is not a good enough product to be able to justify micro-transactions and not offering a F2P form. It'd be commercial suicide. The phrase 'every trick in the book' is just that: a phrase, not a something I was stating as fact.

Just you wait and see what happens to RS once Jagex is floated on the FTSE.

If Jagex were to go into microtransactions, I'd see them going for cosmetic items only, and possibly bonus exp.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I hate to keep playing the same broken record, but that's not the RuneScape I fell in love with. I fell in love with a game that each month produced content that appeared new and exciting. I renewed my membership because I wanted to! Not because I was getting to sword, or aura, or some special title.

But now, that's exactly what Jagex is doing. Replacing content with this marketing garbage. A little piece of me died when I read this month's Behind the Scenes. It finally became clear that this isn't the RuneScape I grew to love. This is a game I don't even know anymore.

That's exactly the problem. The game Isn't the same as it used to be. At least half of Jagex has been replaced with foreign investors, who don't give a cabbage about the game, only about profit.

93959819.png

Leaaf.png