Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Loyalty Rewards Say to Me

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Nomrombom

Titles are just more clutter in the chatbox. I hate them.

Well not everyone has them so they can be useful for distinguishing between different people.
PM me for fitocracy invite

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Sure, maybe this a bit of a new more extreme marketing tactic, but it affects gameplay for everyone very little. If Jagex makes it so the prizes for "loyalty" really give people advantages that impact game play, then there will be a problem. How about just for now, just for a little bit, we don't condemn every knew Jagex update as an instant abomination.

That's a very single-minded way of viewing it. Every update has its detractors, and generally people condemn Jagex when they feel the need to and, if they are pleased with Jagex, they praise them or stay quiet. True, there are some that moan about everything, but that's not an RS issue - you find those sort of people in life. Telling them things like "stop moaning" isn't going to work. Similarly, there are the opposite types, who think that Jagex virtually walk on water and everything they do is perfect.

I think, on the whole, most of us are balanced critics of Jagex.

On the topic of this loyalty programme, though; it is pretty useless. Total and utter waste of time for everyone. There's little need to "wait and see"; I've been to Starbucks, and the principle here is identical. The difference is: the expectation is that Jagex will improve the game to give people the incentive to pay, rather than just chuck in some silly gimmicks. People go to Starbucks because they like lukewarm milk.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Aceethan

I think, on the whole, most of us are balanced critics of Jagex.

HA! You make me laugh! I almost never here anyone complimenting Jagex. If Jagex bashing was a sport, it would quickly over turn any other sport in existence ever. The last comment was of course an extreme hyperbole, but honestly, is it is easier to be nice or mean? Is it easier to make the hard good choice or the easy bad choice? Is it easier to compliment or complain? I in no way mean to insult anyone, but I think we need to be honest with ourselves here. I complain about Jagex, you complain about Jagex, everyone complains about Jagex. Very few people think they walk on water. And if someone stays quiet that doesn't mean they don't have complaints, they just aren't expressive. It's easy to pick on Jagex, and they don't help this by making some of the stupid moves they make, but to say people are balanced critics is a FALSE statement. Being a balanced critic is very hard for anyone, not because we aren't smart, or level headed or genuinely good people, but because we are not perfect.

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts

HA! You make me laugh! I almost never here anyone complimenting Jagex.

I don't know about you, but when I'm happy about an update I'm just happy, I won't necessarily go talk about it because it's not necessary nor is it constructive.

For instance when I came back from a long break I was pretty happy when I saw jagex had introduced dragon claws, because I wanted those ever since the first bronze to rune claws. No point in making a topic or a post about it because it has no discussion value and it's not relevant or interesting for other people to read.

2480+ total

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts

HA! You make me laugh! I almost never here anyone complimenting Jagex.

I don't know about you, but when I'm happy about an update I'm just happy, I won't necessarily go talk about it because it's not necessary nor is it constructive.

For instance when I came back from a long break I was pretty happy when I saw jagex had introduced dragon claws, because I wanted those ever since the first bronze to rune claws. No point in making a topic or a post about it because it has no discussion value and it's not relevant or interesting for other people to read.

So... you kinda proved my point. Not really in its entirety, but you did say you don't give out compliments, meaning it makes sense that I don't here them. I'm not saying people don't like the things Jagex does, but the complaint to compliment ratio is uber high in favor of the complaints. I also disagree that there is no point in making a forum topic about. Why is it any different then there being a point in ranting about something? Talking about goods things IS constructive.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
*Hear not here.

Talking about good things is not constructive, it's pointless. Say dragon claws are introduced - you make a topic saying dragon claws rock, thanks Jagex. Where does it go from there?

I like Jagex in general and I think they're not doing too bad, but complaints are expressed more often, which is why you think everyone thinks they suck. Unless you've taken a survey of a good sample size, don't make assumptions.

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
Good things are constructive. Do you know the definition of constructive? Constructive: helping to improve; promoting further development or advancement. Don't you think Jagex should know what they are doing right instead of hearing either complaints or silence? Also what is better when it comes to the general attitude of the public? Talking about good things makes people feel good, talking about all the stuff Jagex does wrong is not uplifting. I'd rather have a happy community then an angry one, and that doesn't mean that much less complaining, just some more complimenting.

Also if you read my previous posts, I like Jagex. I know other people like Jagex. The whole point of my words was to say that people complain more then they compliment. Not that people hate more then they like. Please READ before you comment.

I said: Maybe you don't share my opinion of these updates but I think if a company can get more then 50% of their updates right then they are doing fine.

I'm not saying people don't like the things Jagex does,

READ

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Good things are constructive. Do you know the definition of constructive? Constructive: helping to improve; promoting further development or advancement. Don't you think Jagex should know what they are doing right instead of hearing either complaints or silence? Also what is better when it comes to the general attitude of the public? Talking about good things makes people feel good, talking about all the stuff Jagex does wrong is not uplifting. I'd rather have a happy community then an angry one, and that doesn't mean that much less complaining, just some more complimenting.

Also if you read my previous posts, I like Jagex. I know other people like Jagex. The whole point of my words was to say that people complain more then they compliment. Not that people hate more then they like. Please READ before you comment.

I said: Maybe you don't share my opinion of these updates but I think if a company can get more then 50% of their updates right then they are doing fine.

READ

I do not appreciate the thinly veiled insults and I am barely keeping myself from starting to berate you.

Talking about how an update was good does not lift the community spirit - it raises it slightly while reading and for about 5 minutes afterward, then is forgotten and tossed aside.

Rants, however stupid they may be, help improve the game. They bring up what needs to be fixed to make the game better. Saying good job afterwards is nice, but doesn't really help much at all in the long run.

Very few people think they walk on water. And if someone stays quiet that doesn't mean they don't have complaints, they just aren't expressive.

This is what I was replying to. Unless you have taken a survey of said quiet people, you have no idea what they think and cannot assume they have complaints, nor can you assume that they do not think Jagex is doing great.

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts

READ

I do not appreciate the thinly veiled insults and I am barely keeping myself from starting to berate you.

Talking about how an update was good does not lift the community spirit - it raises it slightly while reading and for about 5 minutes afterward, then is forgotten and tossed aside.

Rants, however stupid they may be, help improve the game. They bring up what needs to be fixed to make the game better. Saying good job afterwards is nice, but doesn't really help much at all in the long run.

Very few people think they walk on water. And if someone stays quiet that doesn't mean they don't have complaints, they just aren't expressive.

This is what I was replying to. Unless you have taken a survey of said quiet people, you have no idea what they think and cannot assume they have complaints, nor can you assume that they do not think Jagex is doing great.

I completely disagree with your point on talking about good things and I am having a hard time not labeling you a negative person. Your second point is double sided since you cannot assume they are not having complaints. You can not say Runescape does not have negative community outlook on Jagex based on information that may or may not exist. Based on open or expressive person information, my assumption of a negative towards Jagex community is fairly reasonable. Also, my sorry my insults were so thinly veiled. I did not mean to insult you, but if I do in the future I will work on making them more obvious.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

I did not mean to insult you, but if I do in the future I will work on making them more obvious.

Well, I'm done here. Have to control my anger to have a chance at trainee moderator :thumbup:

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts

Well, I'm done here. Have to control my anger to have a chance at trainee moderator :thumbup:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
Last I checked, this isn't a topic discussing whether or not people should be giving Jagex a deserved pat on the back. This is the rants forum, where people may blow off steam and (intelligently) debate their frustrations out. If people wish to keep discussing whether or not a compliment or a complaint has a bigger impact on Jagex throughout its history, then I think that would make a swell topic in General Discussion. But please, for the sake of topicality, focus on the main points the OP created. Thanks :)

hzvjpwS.gif

taylor_jako
[ Display Name History ]

taylor_jako

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • RSN:Taylor jakov
This update implied to me "we want more money and suscribers nothing else"

But also in regards to the update i think it was well done despite the thousands of people causing the site to crash XD

I also think that with the katana introduction they are using that as a stepping stone to implement more features? Correct me if im wrong
Going for 99 fletch and 50 everything SIGH
Posted Image

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
It must be just me, but I'm really enjoying this membership loyalty content. The idea of having one or two new items every month as a 'thank you' is a really nice idea, and I'm looking forward to getting a new costume sometime soon :) . With that said, I still thoroughly enjoy all the new content-the slug quest and the ae are a good example. Jagex is still doing good quality content, but perhaps your expectations have changed.

I'm not an efficienado.

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts

Last I checked, this isn't a topic discussing whether or not people should be giving Jagex a deserved pat on the back. This is the rants forum, where people may blow off steam and (intelligently) debate their frustrations out. If people wish to keep discussing whether or not a compliment or a complaint has a bigger impact on Jagex throughout its history, then I think that would make a swell topic in General Discussion. But please, for the sake of topicality, focus on the main points the OP created. Thanks :)

Sorry :mellow:

I really hope this doesn't lead to microtransactions, although it would be good for me since I can make a lot more per hour IRL than in RS.

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts

Sorry :mellow:

I really hope this doesn't lead to microtransactions, although it would be good for me since I can make a lot more per hour IRL than in RS.

Also sorry :(

All_Is_Great
[ Display Name History ]

All_Is_Great

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,498 posts

It must be just me, but I'm really enjoying this membership loyalty content. The idea of having one or two new items every month as a 'thank you' is a really nice idea, and I'm looking forward to getting a new costume sometime soon :) . With that said, I still thoroughly enjoy all the new content-the slug quest and the ae are a good example. Jagex is still doing good quality content, but perhaps your expectations have changed.

Exactly how I feel.

Crossefico, you need to calm down. Stop overreacting to this and also lower your expectations. But hey, I guess you feel like you're "forced" to renew membership since you're semi retired, but I guess that means the update worked, no? Btw, you can cancel your membership, no one is forcing you to pay.

Staurolite.png

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Crossefico, you need to calm down. Stop overreacting to this and also lower your expectations. But hey, I guess you feel like you're "forced" to renew membership since you're semi retired, but I guess that means the update worked, no? Btw, you can cancel your membership, no one is forcing you to pay.

If you're going to throw around silly accusations, at least spell my name correctly - last time I checked, there wasn't a user called "Crossefico" on TIF.

I wouldn't say that I and many members of the community are "overreacting" and have "high expectations" when we slate this loyalty programme; I'd just say we've seen throught a badly thought out ploy to try and get people paying. It's undoubtedly the influence of Jagex's new owners: private equity firms.

And no, none of what you said about me feeling "forced" to renew my membership holds any basis in fact. I cancelled it in December when the referendum came out. I call myself semi-retired because I play sporadically but can't do much with two accounts with little raw cash and mostly members' items. I don't really want to play much anymore, however, so it suits me fine.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

All_Is_Great
[ Display Name History ]

All_Is_Great

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,498 posts
I recall yourself saying this loyalty programme forces people to pay. I'm only going off what I read here.

And yes you totally, undoublty know this is private equity firms' doing. Frankly, I don't care who thought of this genius plan, because I quite like the rewards, I think they are neat, and since I play non-sporadically, I say this update was very well done.

Crocefisso. Sorry for butchering you name, switched up the double s' and the c. :ohnoes:

Staurolite.png

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

I recall yourself saying this loyalty programme forces people to pay. I'm only going off what I read here.

And yes you totally, undoublty know this is private equity firms' doing. Frankly, I don't care who thought of this genius plan, because I quite like the rewards, I think they are neat, and since I play non-sporadically, I say this update was very well done.

Well said. It's nice to be rewarded for continued support of a product. The only issue I have is that I paid for some years by direct debit from my bank yet I don't recieve anything.........hmmmmmmmmmmmm :-k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users