Where in the World is Tip.it?

stevepole

Where in the world is everyone from? After a bit of curiosity that arose from the Census 2.0 topic, we thought it would be a fun little project to figure out where everyone is from and with the help of Google Maps, we can get a nice visual representation of just that!

All you have to do is follow the link to our map: Where in the World is Tip.it?

EDIT: Due to recent vandals, the map has been changed from an open collaboration to an invite only collaboration. Everyone is still welcome to participate in the project just instead of freely being able to place a market you have to either PM your email so I can add you as a collaborator OR if you don't feel comfortable with sharing your email address, you can simply reply to the thread telling where you would like your marker to me placed and one of the collaborator who have volunteered will place your marker for you!

[spoiler=(How to place a marker on the map)]

After clicking on the link, you will be taken here:

5893057134_e783936e7d_z.jpg

From there all click on the edit button, which will enable the editing mode.

5893061704_6e6282e362_z.jpg

From there find your place on the map then click on marker (5893066604_61684a55a7_o.png) button (if you scroll over it, it reads "add a placemark") and place your marker, which will then open up a box for you to fill in a title (The location) and leave a description (a personal message if you wish).

5893082664_24c474be6b_z.jpg

Once you're done, hit "Ok" then hit done on the left sidebar to close the editor.

5893090288_8340bf9c52_z.jpg

And you have now successfully place a marker on the Where in the World is Tip.it? Map!

-----------------

Notes:

•  
  • The map is PRIVATE which means the only way for anyone to access the map is to have the link given above.
  • Not a 100% sure on this detail but you may have to own a gmail/google account to be able to edit the map. (Someone confirm)
  • You do not have to give your exact location, just whatever you are comfortable with sharing.
  • Most importantly, have fun with it!

-----------------

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by obfuscator
made the text pretty and red!
tFtfA.jpg

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inb4stalkers

I had thought of making something like this when I found out you could make maps like this but never got around to it. Glad someone did! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I didn't want to put my exact town since it's so small you could find me just by knowing the town but I do live in MB and go to school in Winnipeg. GO JETS GO!

Cool. Done. :thumbup:

Edit: It seems to link to your Google Account when you add a place. Dunno how to remove that.

Edit 2: It's pretty easy to change your public display name to whatever you want, not sure how to unlink it altogether though. If that matters.

Cool. Done. :thumbup:

Edit: It seems to link to your Google Account when you add a place. Dunno how to remove that.

Edit 2: It's pretty easy to change your public display name to whatever you want, not sure how to unlink it altogether though. If that matters.

It appears that if you are signed in to your gmail/google account it links back to your account.

edit: If you click on someone's name it seems to take you to a special "Google Maps Profile" but does not compromise any of your personal information.

tFtfA.jpg

No wonder why there are so many hipsters in OT. A good majority of TIF lives in California.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Someone is withing shooting distance.

*Grabs shotgun*

*locks doors*

You two should engage in Mortal Kombat. May I suggest the city of Corona? Perhaps the mall or the airport?

Corona's garbage.

Er, us Southern Californians shouldn't be fightin' each other though. Strength through unity and all that. :razz:

P.S haha look at all the sleepying Europeans.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Hah, I have a headset coming from Fontana California.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Someone is withing shooting distance.

*Grabs shotgun*

*locks doors*

You two should engage in Mortal Kombat. May I suggest the city of Corona? Perhaps the mall or the airport?

Corona's garbage.

Er, us Southern Californians shouldn't be fightin' each other though. Strength through unity and all that. :razz:

P.S haha look at all the sleepying Europeans.

He speaks the truth. The only time I head to Corona is to go to Costco, and that's cause the one in MoVal is.........bad.

Can't edit the map. I'm sure it requires a GMail account or somewhat. -.-

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Can't edit the map. I'm sure it requires a GMail account or somewhat. -.-

Yeah it does, I think. Sorta found out the hard way after I messed up the map's titled and stuff. :-#

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Who lives in the middle of the pacific :lol:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

First pointer set in Europe :D. Now everyone can check where the (NOT) famous town of Upplands-Väsby lies in Sweden :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

First pointer set in Europe :D. Now everyone can check where the (NOT) famous town of Upplands-Väsby lies in Sweden :)

Second pointer set in Europe. :thumbup:

Northest Tip.Iter (ATM) for the victory :3

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png