Account hacked, got his IP

Lodewijk66

Apparently, a lot of recent hackings are linked to malware from ads on RS Wiki.

Can someone verify this?

I find this very hard to believe.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

Apparently, a lot of recent hackings are linked to malware from ads on RS Wiki.

Can someone verify this?

I find this very hard to believe.

It is true. But it's not their fault, it's the advertisers themselves.

A friend of mine had their account compromised due to that.

j0xPu5R.png

Maybe I used the wrong word when saying hacker. I should've said "A person I don't know took over my account for the process of selling all my valuable items and transferring the money to another account afterwards."

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the thing. I'm going to assume that after 7 years of playing you changed your display name at least once. So the person had to know your original display name also. Even in recovering, you have to know the original name. So that means it was either:

-An old friend you deleted

-Someone who lived near you and had access to your house and saw it written somewhere (unlikely)

-Someone who you told your info to on rs that saved it in their notes section and was stupid with their account and got hacked

-A phishing site

or you downloaded a keylogger or screen sharer and it recorded your keystrokes.

Let's take #2 and 4 off the list. That means:

A old deleted friend (probably over something stupid, and was mad at you)

Your credentials were on a friend your shared accounts with (and he got hacked)

Or you downloaded a dangerous file.

A keylogger seems unlikely as if you did download one it would not be made by a rs account hacker; they only store those in more rs-related files.

So what that means is that it was probably you were too loose with your account details. Either way, in the future, remember, your friends list is pixels. You don't know any of them in real life. Don't share personal details that could potentially be your recoveries, and change them very 3-4 months.

Lastly I want to say that I noticed that you said you got back on, meaning the password wasn't changed. This means that it was more likely a phishing site wanting just your money. Anyways, that's my 2¢. Gl making that back man. And be careful.

Oh btw if I were you I would use a safe browser (eg google chrome) and go to runescape.com. Make sure it is the correct rs, and then bookmark it and from them on access it that way. Misspelling the URL won't be a problem. And never follow links. All I can say.

Well, not that I really condone it, but DOSing or DDOSing the IP could be effective. It's a felony though, so don't try it at home, boys n' girlz.

This is the response i was expecting more about. haha, but Again as nom said, its a felony, don't do this. Aside from messing around with their IP I think it would be funny if you found out it was a friend. Then I'd just mess with them via their IP address, color 0a looks really fun to people who don't know much about computers. :)

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

You should feel stupid for no bank pin; and stupid for getting hacked in general.

Good password, good recoveries, decent AV, be smart about phishing sites/links, don;t tell anybody you password = odds of getting hacked virtually 0 because the methods left to hack you are mostly so complex only really sad losers bother using them to hack an rs account.

That aside i believe there's a sticky somewhere on RSOF where you can post info like that to help customer support catch him

A sad complex loser hacked me...

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody