The musician's thread

Guest Rob

Do you play any instruments? What songs/styles have you learned to play recently?

I'm a drummer - and drum teacher. I just finished a jazz book I've been working on for a while, and don't know what to work on. I'll probably just continue to learn songs, and wait till September for lessons to learn new styles.

I play guitar (primarily electric) and trumpet. I've played trumpet for like 6 years now, just because of school. I don't really play at all outside of school, but I've become pretty good. I took up guitar for fun about 3 years ago. I play quite frequently, but I don't take it particularly seriously. I just like to play the music I personally enjoy.

I'm a saxophone player. Played alto for 4 years then I switched to tenor and haven't touched an alto since. Played for nearly 9 years now. I bought a soprano last year and that's fun to mess around on. I plan to play for most of my life, I love doing it. When I get older and have money to spend, I plan to buy an Eppelsheim Bass Sax (for those unaware, about a 25 Grand investment). Instead of buying a cool car in my midlife crisis, that's what I'll do :P

I played whatever we were told to in band, and when I play for myself I play solely jazz. I would like to maybe join a prog band someday playing sax.

I am a music education major in college. I have been in band since the 4th grade so music is part of my life. I can play euphonium, trumpet, trombone, tuba, french horn, and a little bit of piano.

The euphonium I own:

2mefz4.png

Me playing my horn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFRGWa6AioQ

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I've played trumpet for 6 years in concert band, jazz band, and pep band. Next year I'll be leading my school's pep band, which I'm really excited for. I approach my playing with the goal to go out on stage and put on a good show, because that's what I get enjoyment from. It means a little less practice time, but the other trumpet players in my section are really good about understanding when we need to have an extra sectional to get something down, and it seems easier to keep them motivated with that goal. The way my schedule is looking for next year I think I'll have to end up choosing between jazz band and wind ensemble, which really sucks. I'm leaning towards jazz band but I think scheduling may end up choosing for me. :(

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I'm a drummer - and drum teacher. I just finished a jazz book I've been working on for a while, and don't know what to work on. I'll probably just continue to learn songs, and wait till September for lessons to learn new styles.

Same boat here. I teach a high school drum line in the area and it is a blast. I will be headed back up to school in the fall and can't wait to start getting lessons again. There is going to be a drum set ensemble course that Music minors are allowed to be in and I am pumped. Seven drum sets!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm a guitarist. I play bits of everything (nothing as well as I would like :P). I've been playing about 4 1/2 years, and really enjoy it. I tend to be far too self indulgent when I play, but I've been getting better about it. I'm HOPEFULLY going to be playing in Jazz Band next year, my first time ever really playing in a group. Right now I'm going to be working on Civeta Day by the The Number 12, Ebon Coast by Andy Mckee, and some Rush (not totally sure what yet).

Maybe slap some stuff together of my own, but thats really iffy at this point.

Oh, and Range, fudging LOVE polyrhythmic and polymetric music...interestingly, my first real exposure to them was by a Death Metal group. Then I found out it's primarily rooted in Jazz and Sub-Saharan musics.

Rune Tips Merchanting Site!

"rune tips cc" if you would like to learn some tricks of the merching trade! We have a great community as well.

Each of us a cell of awareness/Imperfect and incomplete/Genetic blends with uncertain ends/On a fortune hunt thats far too fleet

Another drummer, I don't take it as serious as I used to but I'll jump on my kit once every couple of days for a practice/learn some new songs/work on rudiments.

Would like to learn some guitar and maybe keyboard again.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I'm working on assassin by Muse at the moment for drums. I just need to get the into down - I can play it fine on double kick, but I'm trying to get it down on single kick too. The fact that it's triplets in 3/4 time doesn't help <_<

3 drummers, a guitarist, a trumpet, a euphonium, and a saxophone... Best band ever?

Make me the record producer and we're set.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've been playing guitar for about 9 years now :) I've also played a little bit of drums and piano but not much :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm a Singer/Bass player.

I've tried guitar, cant strum to save my life. I can play keyboards but not all that well with both hands.

I've also just completed a course in Music Technology, so I can record/produce/manage a band/mess around with synths, amongst other things.

I started out as a classical singer, now I pretty much do whatever I like the sounds of, as well as original material (I write a lot of song lyrics for some odd reason). As for bass, I'm still pretty new to it, though I do know a few Ska/Metal/Punk songs on it currently.

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

You guys can add a Trombone to that crazy ass band. :thumbup:

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

I'm primarily a drummer. I've been playing concert percussion for 7 years and drum set for 3.5 and currently take lessons. This past year I played in my school's wind ensemble, and next year I will be in jazz band. Right now I'm working on latin drumming to get ready for jazz band, and some of the coordination things are killing me. I know this will make me a much better drummer though. I also am center snare for my school's drumline, so I've been working on some marching band music as well, but that's a lot easier for me at this point. I also tried out for one of my friend's bands, and as the auditions were open I'm pretty sure I made it in, though I won't know until after their last show with their current lineup.

I also play a bit of bass guitar, though not nearly well enough as would be suggested by how long I've owned one xD. I've had my bass for two years now, and I play random Muse and Rage Against the Machine songs, but I don't really have much incentive to play without taking lessons and without any sort of people to play with. It's fun though.

I'm starting to get more into singing lately. I'm starting on vocal lessons soon, as I want to be able to get a lead role in the musical this upcoming year (I already am a pretty decent singer, but I know lessons will make for dramatic improvement).

I also own an acoustic guitar, but the action is so high on it that it hurts abnormally much to play and I've been too lazy to go out and get it fixed, so it's been collecting dust. I also used to play viola, but that only lasted 2.5 years before I quit that because of a bad teacher. I deeply regret stopping now, but I don't have enough interest to actually buy a viola, so I deal with it.

I play bass guitar. Occasionally I'll pick up a guitar and practice on it, but I just feel much more comfortable and talented on the bass. I have to be the world's worst drummer though.

• 8 months later...

In corp por, resurrection! Wake up all musicians!

I'm a guitarist myself (electric guitar). Been playing for about 9 years now (rounded up of course *ahem*), since I was 14. Nowadays I don't learn any new songs really, except for our band's songs, and usually when I pick up my guitar I'll just start writing my own material and work out riffs and write them down.

I still enjoy playing as much as enjoyed when I first started, maybe even more now that my knowledge of music is wider. Nowadays I play very progressive music, mainly metal.

Neppgggg.png

Oh hey, welcome back thread.

I play the guitar, have been doing it for about a year and a half now, and some drums, though I don't actually have one of my own. Oh well, a table and some imagination make for a decent substitute :P

And now I do have my own (electric) drum set. :razz: