Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 3rd July 2011

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Hello everyone, I had also written an article about this week's subject (Loyalty Programme)... But I came up short (thats a first :o) so I'll post what I had written down hre now...

Do with it as you please :)

Bought and Paid for

By now most of you will have had the opportunity to check out the Loyalty Programme. With Members' Loyalty points (MLP) gained over time as a result of having membership, you'll be able to pick rewards ranging from slightly useful to downright hilarious.

The first few rewards you pick may tell a lot about what sort of a player you are. Sure, it's hilarious to shoot Cabbages, Squids and other paraphernalia from your Cannon, but others prefer slightly (and I truly mean slightly) more useful aura's.

But I hear a few arguments against this update, voiced by many people. But they boil down to this - Jagex is handing out in-game benefits in order to get people to buy more subscriptions. Similar arguments were heard when the Katana and Flagstaff were released.

If there is a point to the arguments of all this being either RWT or just a marketing scheme, the same can be said for all the benefits you normally get with membership, such as the Herblore skill and Castle Wars.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that Jagex should definitely spend less time on updates in this category, and more on working on a permanent solution to the cheating problem. But these "tokens of appreciation" for future-long-term-members that, if you go along with the speculation, should get more spectacular over time, still seem nice.

But with all that said, do you really think that there is anyone out there who will buy a month of membership because of this update? I don't, even more so because I also doubt that people who planned on cancelling their subscription aren't going to extend it just to get that emote to use on F2P. So yes, I do think that this update wasn't a marketing ploy, but truly wanted to reward their subscribers.

The saying "predictable is the man who's loyalty can be bought" doesn't apply here, simply because the price offered isn't high enough. The Loyalty Rewards are, for now, too insignificant an addition to all of the other benefits that you get when purchasing membership. So in essence, all of the Loyalty Rewards are already bought and paid for.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

In December 2010 The Raine Group and Spectrum Equity Investors invested in Jagex, while Insight Venture Partners

This is not good. Private equity firms and most creative industries - incl video games - do not bode well. It explains a lot of the recent stuff that's gone on.

There have been unpopular moves of Jagex in the past, but all this bullcrap really just started right after the board of directors was changed. It definitely is no coincidence, and it makes sense. After all, Jagex/the gowers were relying on Runescape for money. They have to make sure that an update doesn't hurt the essence of the game.

The investors don't have to do that. They can just milk the cash out of it, and if it does hurt the game and Runescape loses out on players, big deal, they just invest somewhere else. It's the worst thing that could have happened to Runescape.

This is exactly the effect that private equity investment has on video games, something which is even more pronounced in products like MMOs which have to be constantly changing for the better.

I stopped reading the first article after I read the "Jagex just wants people to keep subscribing (especially after the summer)." or whatever it was.

Why wouldn't Jagex try to keep subscribers/earn more? Get with the times. This is how they make income. Shame on them for giving us something, FOR FREE. The incentive for non-members to become a member is insane.

Non-member: "Well golly! The whole world, hundreds of quests, all skills, tons of minigames and items! That couldn't get me to be a member. But, auras, new costumes and emotes! WOW! I'LL SIGN UP TODAY!"

Get with it.

The fact that you didn't read the article shows in your lazy diatribes. If you'd continued reading, then you'd be aware of the fact that I acknowledge that Jagex need an income, but also point out the fact that just heaping in more content is not a realistic way of keeping the game itself interesting for a great many people.

Read the article before you post next time.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Earth_Poet
[ Display Name History ]

Earth_Poet

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Earth Poet
My response was about the article, but since you take it personally I'll make my final ones about my perception of you. Your immature comments are indicative of the problems that apparently still persist on the Times staff. In fact, they seem to be getting worse. I'll take care to avoid reading anymore articles from you. Thank you.
Posted Image

Grogthurk
[ Display Name History ]

Grogthurk

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • RSN:Grogthurk

In December 2010 The Raine Group and Spectrum Equity Investors invested in Jagex, while Insight Venture Partners

This is not good. Private equity firms and most creative industries - incl video games - do not bode well. It explains a lot of the recent stuff that's gone on.

There have been unpopular moves of Jagex in the past, but all this bullcrap really just started right after the board of directors was changed. It definitely is no coincidence, and it makes sense. After all, Jagex/the gowers were relying on Runescape for money. They have to make sure that an update doesn't hurt the essence of the game.

The investors don't have to do that. They can just milk the cash out of it, and if it does hurt the game and Runescape loses out on players, big deal, they just invest somewhere else. It's the worst thing that could have happened to Runescape.

This is exactly the effect that private equity investment has on video games, something which is even more pronounced in products like MMOs which have to be constantly changing for the better.

I stopped reading the first article after I read the "Jagex just wants people to keep subscribing (especially after the summer)." or whatever it was.

Why wouldn't Jagex try to keep subscribers/earn more? Get with the times. This is how they make income. Shame on them for giving us something, FOR FREE. The incentive for non-members to become a member is insane.

Non-member: "Well golly! The whole world, hundreds of quests, all skills, tons of minigames and items! That couldn't get me to be a member. But, auras, new costumes and emotes! WOW! I'LL SIGN UP TODAY!"

Get with it.

The fact that you didn't read the article shows in your lazy diatribes. If you'd continued reading, then you'd be aware of the fact that I acknowledge that Jagex need an income, but also point out the fact that just heaping in more content is not a realistic way of keeping the game itself interesting for a great many people.

Read the article before you post next time.

If I find something I disagree with, and I am under no obligation to read it (ie. school, work, etc.), then I won't take the time to read something. Plus, your logic is flat out flawed.

top_lel_face.png

meili
[ Display Name History ]

meili

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Interesting. I hope that the people at Jagex still do want RS to be profitable yet enjoyable for all. I hate to think of outside investors milking all the money out of Jagex then leaving. :ohnoes:

Oh and btw my advice as a real life writer, do not argue with criticisms of your articles/articles. You may take that advice if you feel you want to be a real and/or professional writer. Otherwise, feel free to ignore the advice.

IMO, just thank everyone for their posts and leave it at that.

Real writers never respond directly to critics. Just let them say what they want to say and leave it at that. Once the article has been published then it is published and you are done.

The only thing you must always respond or reply to is accusations of factual errors. :-o

257zrc3.gif

Unhesitating
[ Display Name History ]

Unhesitating

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Unhesitating
Like someone else said already, if you hate Jagex, why play the game? If all you do is complain about how terrible the game is, why not leave? There's still plenty people who enjoy playing the game.
Posted Image

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

Like someone else said already, if you hate Jagex, why play the game? If all you do is complain about how terrible the game is, why not leave? There's still plenty people who enjoy playing the game.

I complain that my trains sometimes don't run on time...
But I don't have the means to buy a car, and I refuse to jump on a bicycle...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

I complain that my trains sometimes don't run on time...
But I don't have the means to buy a car, and I refuse to jump on a bicycle...

Players have the means to jump ship and play another game any time they choose. You're using an example where you may not have any other viable choice, unlike gaming where there's a huge amount of alternatives. I agree with Unhesitating. No point in staying with a game you don't want to play any more.

Unhesitating
[ Display Name History ]

Unhesitating

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Unhesitating
This is one of the few things where you have literally hundreds of other choices. Why wouldn't someone just change a bad situation when they have the opportunity?
Posted Image

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

This is one of the few things where you have literally hundreds of other choices. Why wouldn't someone just change a bad situation when they have the opportunity?

Because they aren't really going to quit. They just want to whinge about the game and about the evils that Jagex do. :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users