Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dutch court ruling on kids forcing another to hand over RS goods

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

If runescape money has real value why isnt it taxable

Ring World - 1 Dutch Courts - 0

Hold the non existend phone there. doesn't the fact that RWT exists imply it has a monetary value? that would mean you could tax it.

>Implying that if I turned all my real world assets into runescape gold via gold buying that the IRS could take my runescape gold :lol:

But see, in your example:
Person A lends Person B a bike.
Person C then takes the bike from Person B.

Person B lost nothing of his own possession/value. Person A was the one who lost something of value to Person C.

Now, let's do the same for the RuneScape OP's example. Jagex would be Person A. The difference is that Jagex didn't lose anything of value (The mask/amulet is still theirs). The kid, Person B, also didn't lose anything that was his either because the mask and amulet were not his. In this case, nothing was stolen as Jagex still has possession/ownership of their mask and amulet.

You forgot one thing, at runescape the person could have spend hours and hours to get those items. The person with the bike did not need to spend that many hours to get the bike. It is like you borrowing a house which you live in and someone breaks things of/in your house which the owner of the house (the person you are borrowing it from) has to get refund but has taken hours of you to repear it (or something like that).
The persons didn't steal a thing from him, they did steal his time and work spend on the game.

Jagex owns your account and everything on it. Jagex still owns it when the kid pulled out his knife.

Deal with it.

Where did I say jagex doesn't?

It deals with existing precedences where you cant buy "work" put into accounts or items in RWTing.

For example I cant make a gold selling site that sells gold and runescape accounts by saying I am selling the work I put into gathering the materials not the gold itself. If I could you better believe that the owners of those sites would have lawsuits up in Jagex face for stealing their work (via bans).

Edit: My ultimate stance is, is that the kid should be in-trouble for threatening the other kid with a knife and trying to illegally gather personal information under duress (his account info) instead of the actual theft. If virtual gold is seen as real you open up a real pandora's box.

Edited by Ring_World, 04 July 2011 - 11:16 AM.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

But see, in your example:
Person A lends Person B a bike.
Person C then takes the bike from Person B.

Person B lost nothing of his own possession/value. Person A was the one who lost something of value to Person C.

Now, let's do the same for the RuneScape OP's example. Jagex would be Person A. The difference is that Jagex didn't lose anything of value (The mask/amulet is still theirs). The kid, Person B, also didn't lose anything that was his either because the mask and amulet were not his. In this case, nothing was stolen as Jagex still has possession/ownership of their mask and amulet.

You forgot one thing, at runescape the person could have spend hours and hours to get those items. The person with the bike did not need to spend that many hours to get the bike. It is like you borrowing a house which you live in and someone breaks things of/in your house which the owner of the house (the person you are borrowing it from) has to get refund but has taken hours of you to repear it (or something like that).
The persons didn't steal a thing from him, they did steal his time and work spend on the game.

Jagex owns your account and everything on it. Jagex still owns it when the kid pulled out his knife.

Deal with it.

Where did I say jagex doesn't?

It deals with existing precedences where you cant buy "work" put into accounts or items in RWTing.

For example I cant make a gold selling site that sells gold and runescape accounts by saying I am selling the work I put into gathering the materials not the gold itself. If I could you better believe that the owners of those sites would have lawsuits up in Jagex face for stealing their work (via bans).

I wasn't talking about the value of the work done in the court case, but I was talking about the value of the work done for the person himself.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

The points are one in the same. If my work in runescape has value, whats stopping me from suing Jagex for banning me. Yes they own my account and my money but they dont own the work I put into it that they stole.

Its a valid argument too btw, and would hold up in a court

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
So if your account gets compromised, and your items are stolen transferred to another account, can you ask Jagex to take action against the hackers? You've had nothing that was yours stolen, after all.
Hell, if you couldn't log into your account the next day, you've lost nothing, right?

Is this the implication of the ToS?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

So if your account gets compromised, and your items are stolen transferred to another account, can you ask Jagex to take action against the hackers? You've had nothing that was yours stolen, after all.
Hell, if you couldn't log into your account the next day, you've lost nothing, right?

They can get in trouble for illegally getting the persons account information. (same crime the guy who hacked Sarah Palins email was getting charged with) however they cant do crap about the value of the items taken.

Again if the value of the gold directly has value, you create a problem for Jagex should players get banned (Second Life had a similar problem when they sold property and banned a player)

If the value of the work put into the account has value, you create a problem for Jagex in the same way since Jagex doesnt own the work you put into the game, only the account and items themselves. Wonder what 200 days of time is worth?

sebas379
[ Display Name History ]

sebas379

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:sebas379

They can get in trouble for illegally getting the persons account information. (same crime the guy who hacked Sarah Palins email was getting charged with) however they cant do crap about the value of the items taken.

Again if the value of the gold directly has value, you create a problem for Jagex should players get banned (Second Life had a similar problem when they sold property and banned a player)

If the value of the work put into the account has value, you create a problem for Jagex in the same way since Jagex doesnt own the work you put into the game, only the account and items themselves. Wonder what 200 days of time is worth?

To the second Life part, maybe a little off, but isn't Jagex creating that same problem for themselves now with the Loyalty program and all?
And to the time part: Dang, that's gonna be interesting if you put it that way. Assuming you mean 200 days WORTH of time that's:

200 x 24 = 4800 hours x minimum wage of maybe 3.50 euros (for a kid well under 18 in the Netherlands i think you end up somewhere there at 14, 15 at most)
so 4800 hours times 3,50 makes 16.800.
Posted Image

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
Possibly, but they can justify it as extras right now. If they sold gold directly they would be opening up that problen (yes even if they write in their ToS 100 times that they own the gold, you still own it if they sold it to you)

Soupy17
[ Display Name History ]

Soupy17

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:oh mikey oh
they still threatened him at knife point over runescape
LOL

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin
You could argue that they changed Jagex's property in a way Jagex does not want, at knife-point. I'm not sure what the punishment for that is though. It wouldn't be theft, but it'd be damaging goods? Either way it sucks :S.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

riderr_boi26
[ Display Name History ]

riderr_boi26

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • RSN:riderr boi26
Couldn't Jagex write in their ToS that by paying for membership you are "renting" items and gold, then continue to say that if you violate one of their rules the "contract" between yourself and Jagex is null and void, giving them the right to ban you?
Posted Image

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts

In short, the court ruled that these virtual goods have both an in-game as a real monetary value and can therefore be seen as "real" goods.

But until Jagex introduces micro-transactions, those goods belong to Jagex, not the kid. Therefore, the kid had nothing stolen from him, nor was any of that "real monetary value" even his.

Actually, even when microtransactions do get added, you will still not own the item. You're paying for a license for the item, not the item itself. Everything still belongs to Jagex.

Personally they shouldn't be worrying about who owns what. Let's focus on putting those psychopathic little [bleep]ers away for a long time that would threaten to knife someone over video game goods.

Even then, these kids still stole a license, if not the actual good. Similar to stealing a cd key from a video game box at a store, even if you aren't stealing the physical disk.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Naraku893
[ Display Name History ]

Naraku893

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,074 posts
"What are you in for?"

"Stealing a blue mask on Runescape."

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,476 posts

You could argue that they changed Jagex's property in a way Jagex does not want, at knife-point. I'm not sure what the punishment for that is though. It wouldn't be theft, but it'd be damaging goods? Either way it sucks :S.

The same punishment as if I pulled a knife to you and said give me your social security number.

The information in this case is your password, which is very tryable. In the united states a husband might be going to jail for "hacking" into his wifes email because she wrote her password on a paper and he found it and found she was having an affair with him.

Even in the case that the kid was logged in and no personal information could be seen or gathered there are stil laws against threatening someone with a deadly weapon.

Mr_Jingo
[ Display Name History ]

Mr_Jingo

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:His Love
Some kid threatened me with a knife over Pokemon Silver :P the same day he was caught with it and expelled. 4th grade :)
--

Pretty ridiculous though, a couple of young teens telling him they'll kill him if he doesn't hand over RS stuff.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
It's horrible to see that RS money and items are of such importance to some people that they're ready to do something like this just to get it.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

SomeNut
[ Display Name History ]

SomeNut

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Possibly, but they can justify it as extras right now. If they sold gold directly they would be opening up that problen (yes even if they write in their ToS 100 times that they own the gold, you still own it if they sold it to you)

Perhaps this is a reason for them experimenting with account rollbacks and buybacks
if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space
never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

Unb34t4bl3
[ Display Name History ]

Unb34t4bl3

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 196 posts

If runescape money has real value why isnt it taxable

Ring World - 1 Dutch Courts - 0

Technically if you RWT you are supposed to report the "income" to the IRS... (not than any RWTers do)
FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)
Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

Posted Image

Cheat
[ Display Name History ]

Cheat

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • RSN:Miserly
  • RSN2:Snavex
Legal basis changes depending on the object or at least in the EU. For instance if I hire a car and then sell it to someone they own the car and the hire company cannot simply re-take the car from the person who bought it and leave it up to them to claim money on insurance/sue the person who sold them the car. It is the hire companies responsibility to take legal action against the person who sold the car to regain lost money. This is a fairly unique legal case but if something similar is the case for virtual goods you could argue that once you buy gold from a gold seller Jagex can only take action against the gold seller rather than you. Of course this is null because of the license agreement you ticked.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

Legal basis changes depending on the object or at least in the EU. For instance if I hire a car and then sell it to someone they own the car and the hire company cannot simply re-take the car from the person who bought it and leave it up to them to claim money on insurance/sue the person who sold them the car. It is the hire companies responsibility to take legal action against the person who sold the car to regain lost money. This is a fairly unique legal case but if something similar is the case for virtual goods you could argue that once you buy gold from a gold seller Jagex can only take action against the gold seller rather than you. Of course this is null because of the license agreement you ticked.

There is a difference in buying a car which you don't know that it is a hired one and buying runescape money which you know is against the rules.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

The points are one in the same. If my work in runescape has value, whats stopping me from suing Jagex for banning me. Yes they own my account and my money but they dont own the work I put into it that they stole.

Its a valid argument too btw, and would hold up in a court

Absolute rubbish. You don't work in runescape you're paying for the entertainment value under licence as Omali quite correctly stated on page 1. You don't own anything in the game or the effort that goes into it. You're getting your money's worth from the actual playing of the game. They can withdraw this at any time, just like any company can under software licence. Probably in their terms and conditions if you can be arsed reading it. If they were that stupid all and sundry would be taking them to court.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users