Dutch court ruling on kids forcing another to hand over RS goods

sebas379

If runescape money has real value why isnt it taxable

Ring World - 1 Dutch Courts - 0

Hold the non existend phone there. doesn't the fact that RWT exists imply it has a monetary value? that would mean you could tax it.

>Implying that if I turned all my real world assets into runescape gold via gold buying that the IRS could take my runescape gold :lol:

If stretch that reasoning out a bit and assume that the government won't tax RS gold you could do some interesting stuff. If you use all your real world value to buy RS gold they won't be able to tax any of it. If you go even further you might be able to get the persons you're working for to pay you in GP and even avoid the dreaded income taxes.

I'm not entirely sure how this would play out since I haven't really thought it through, but it's a nice premise.

I'm currently reading the full text, found here.

I'm surprised at how accurate it is in the most important parts. Also a quote that caught my eye:

On march 9th 2011 a Red Partyhat was worth more than 1.1B. Expectations are that the are worth 2.15B at the end of 2011

I'm curious as to how accurate this estimate will turn out to be :huh:

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOS is not the same as the law. A company cannot enforce a ToS agreement that is against the law. Simply put laws are way over ToS on a website.

For example, if you are an employee and your boss makes you sign an agreement that you will work on Sundays for free, if that agreement is against the labor laws then it is not legally binding.

In other words, if the Dutch court says they stole something (virtual goods), then they stole something. Jagex's ToS has no authority over the court.

Couldn't Jagex write in their ToS that by paying for membership you are "renting" items and gold, then continue to say that if you violate one of their rules the "contract" between yourself and Jagex is null and void, giving them the right to ban you?