05-Jul-2011 - Salt in the Wound

Tim

I just noticed that James B, developer of the Recruitment Drive and Wanted! quests, is now in the Transformers Content Team.

Developers of Slug Menace and Kennith's Concerns are long gone too.

I sometimes wish I could just find out how they envisioned the storylines would actually play out.

so much for other projects not affecting runescape's quality <_<

A developer can take over other's people questchains without having them suffer terribly. Honestly though, don't they have phones? Can't they get the guy's extension, ring him up, and ask him if the story he came up follows well, or does it like this quest, does it destroy the whole storyline?

IMHO, i think the quest series was initially supposed to be a fair amount longer, but its dev went to a different project. So Jagex was figured it was excess baggage and gave it to some other dev like, "here, finish this series off". I think the other dev tried REALLY hard to make it work, but it just wasn't their story. hence why i thought the quest as a whole seemed fairly good, but rushed bc they were trying to tie together a series that was supposed to have several more quests, with just one. Thats a recipe for disaster if i ever heard one :rolleyes:

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, i think the quest series was initially supposed to be a fair amount longer, but its dev went to a different project. So Jagex was figured it was excess baggage and gave it to some other dev like, "here, finish this series off". I think the other dev tried REALLY hard to make it work, but it just wasn't their story. hence why i thought the quest as a whole seemed fairly good, but rushed bc they were trying to tie together a series that was supposed to have several more quests, with just one. Thats a recipe for disaster if i ever heard one :rolleyes:

It does strike me that way too.

crossed_body.png

I actually enjoyed the quest a decent amount. The characters were amusing in their own different ways and the puzzles while a bit frustrating due to the nature of the controls etc. were fairly good. I did enjoy the room with all the doors and levers but maybe that's just me :P. I wish the quest was longer and had more to it as people said, it did seem a bit rushed.

The controls were a lot better than most recent quests have been, A clockwork Syringe had the worst controls imaginable and completely ruined the quest for me. The main problem with the controls here was more to do with the UI rather than the actual controls. But Jagex are just starting out on having things like that in quests, I'm sure they'll soon figure it out and learn from the mistakes. I imagine that due to the nature of the engine never really been designed to do something like that (controlling others directly) is why it's the way it is.

It does strike me that way too.

I think they just wanted to trim down on some of the open-ended quest chains. Next up, Rabid Jack in hiding in Daemonheim, there never was a cursed archipalego, and Mi-gor is never mentioned again.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Next up we find out that Prifddinas is actually just a small crystal hut in a giant field. Game over.

And there's a lone guy there screaming "Nothing is true." Later we find out he is lying.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Next up we find out that Prifddinas is actually just a small crystal hut in a giant field. Game over.

Uggh, I could see that happening.

Didn't it turn out the lost city of Arposandra was just some musty little dungeon with a "warped terrorbird machine" in it? Or was that "only part of it"? Also, Yu'Biusk was a deserted wasteland with a box in it. There have been so many letdowns so far with all these potentially epic quest lines...

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Uggh, I could see that happening.

Didn't it turn out the lost city of Arposandra was just some musty little dungeon with a "warped terrorbird machine" in it? Or was that "only part of it"? Also, Yu'Biusk was a deserted wasteland with a box in it. There have been so many letdowns so far with all these potentially epic quest lines...

You are bound to be let down if you hype things in your mind instead of paying attention to info given.

Yu'Biusk was set up as a desert and desolate place long before we reached it; anyone who expected anything more was juts kidding themselves.

And its been made EPICALLY clear in the gnome series we've not got into Arposandra fully, just outlying dungeons that are making the toxic waste and warped creatures.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

And its been made EPICALLY clear in the gnome series we've not got into Arposandra fully, just outlying dungeons that are making the toxic waste and warped creatures.

I honestly don't remember that part. I'm not doubting you, but I remember most of the end of Prisoner of Glouphrie was just everyone happy that you rescued the gnome, I don't recall them discussing Arposandra much. I kept looking for more information after the quest, but none of the gnomes even mentioned the lost city.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

It's never explicitly said but its been made pretty clear:

1) Both areas we accessed had doorways/corridors/stairs off further into places we couldn't reach, shows its bigger than we seen

2) Various references to it being a facility/factory and "out here in the" type phrases; clearly imply what we are in is a factory not the main part of city and "out here" implies its on edge of town/out of the way

3) Then the various early lore has told us its a city and its implied to be a fairly grand city, combined with the army/spies confirms there is an active functioning city there but we clearly haven't seen any signs of a city (residential, shops, bank, castle/throne place, the gnomes who live there etc.)

4) First area is a sewer and a big one, would not need a sewer that big if there wasn't some big place behind it.

And of course the big obvious that the quest series isn't over.

One of them places where the lore pretty concrete shows that is not all there yet, another example would be fact that Menphanos and Sophenam are in the centre of the khadrian desert according to in-game lore sources.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the bump, but wasn't home when the update came out. :P

Really enjoyed the quest. Very happy to see them making progress on the movable team npc's.

But just like with the final bandos/dorgeshuun quest, I feel like there still are tons of unanswered questions and things that were overlooked.

Notably the whole Penguin/slug thing from Hunt for Red Raktumber. No mention of that at all except for in the QA which I didn't like the answer to.

The ending was really terrible (not a bad terrible, but I felt so bad about what happened at the very end).

Lots of funny parts in the quest as well though. I liked it.

Jagex really hate Elfinlocks, first the partyhat, now this. :P

I thought the exact same thing when I watched that. :P

edit- Now heres how it would be a great story line. Add salt in the wound as the requirement to the next penguin quest and have the slug on Marlin actually be a new born prince or princess slug that went out to create its own empire and found the land of the penguins. Then you have to stop it from giving the order to the penguin army to invade the rest of gilenor as pay back for the death of mother Mallum.

Would like if that happened but knowing Jagex, it won't. :(

I liked the quest, it became enjoyable once i got into the quest and stopped thinking of it as something to grind through for a reward.

I started doing that in 2007 when I got my quest cape. Only quests like Deadliest Catch and In Pyre Need have felt disappointing to me since.

[hide] I was really surprised when Mother Mallum took over my body. Decent "Oh crap" moment.[/hide]

I had one of those moments as well. :P