[DevBlog] Loyalty Programme

Hamtaro

http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=124

Now that we have launched the first batch of loyalty rewards, no doubt you're full of questions about the future. I'm happy to announce that currently we have 3 other launches planned over the next year which will not only release new loyalty rewards, but also offer upgrades to the ones previously launched.

Firstly it's worth talking about the auras. When designing these auras we've tended to categorise each aura as either 'niche' (offer a specific piece of gameplay or cosmetic benefit) or general skill auras (auras that focus on a skill and training that skill). You may have noticed that the majority of auras released in June are 'Tier 1' - all general skill auras will have versions at tiers 2, 3 and 4 with the benefit of using the aura increased at each tier. Access to the higher tiers will depend, of course, on how many loyalty points you have accrued. Were still ironing out the design on how future tiers will work, but it will all be in place before the next batch is released in October.

Eventually almost every skill in the game will have an associated aura and many 'niche' auras will exist to support your specific style of gaming.

Niche auras might also have higher tier versions offering bigger and better effects, although these are still in consideration. Some niche auras will continue to have only one tier (not necessarily tier 1) depending on their effect.

Future tiers may also have their cooldown timers adjusted if appropriate.

We're hoping that each month you'll buy something - we're balancing the points to ensure that you can, and still save up for the big rewards if it's really what you want to do. It's the main reason why the cosmetic costumes and emote rewards are considerably cheaper than the auras.

As a side note, the problems some of you had accessing the loyalty system on the first day of launch have now been addressed - we had such a high rate of applications to join the system that the web module couldn’t quite cope with the demand! The website is now running well. We've also added some more data to our FAQ thread, found here.

Thank you to all our players who have been loyal to us for years - of course systems like this always have to define a start point - as with many of our updates it's almost impossible for us to retrofit past actions into any new system, and so the start point has to be the day of launch. We truly appreciate all the months and years you have been with us. We did consider this issue carefully back in February when we first discussed this design. Was the fact that we couldn't reward previously loyal players a strong enough reason not to launch the system? It's a question we were asking all the way to the launch date. In the end we knew that launching the system would benefit everyone, and that not doing it would benefit nobody, so the choice was easy to make.

We have a huge list of ideas for the future cosmetic rewards in the Loyalty Programme. We're still adding to that list (listing things in order of 'coolness' is lots of fun to do but very controversial - everybody's sense of cool is different from mine it seems) and still trawling the forums, so if you have any 'real world inspired' costume ideas or have an emote in your head that you’d love to see added to the game, now is the time to tell us.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

They posted some common, unsurprising, not informative stuff, instead of telling about their company ethics, and the reason for this kind of update. Disappointing, although I rarely complain, now I could.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

I'm not a fan of this update, not because I feel ripped off that Jagex is rewarding its paying members with bonus content, but by the fact that it can't be obtained by playing. This (along with the gamestop sword thing) marks the first content in the game that cannot be obtained no matter what your skill level. Depending on the amount of time it takes to acquire the loyalty rewards and the attravtiveness of the rewards, it could severely lower the incentive to start playing a year or two from now, as new players could be too daunted/unwilling to have to pay that long just to get even with Mr. veteran who has been playing for years.

I'm fine with offering cosmetic rewards to an extent, but if it gives any sort of bonus then I think this is just bogus.

Rejected.jpg

We're hoping that each month you'll buy something

Like a membership...

WOW I SURE DO HATE FREE THINGS JUST FOR PLAYING, SCREW YOU JAGEX.

Hey, their issue here is all these esoteric ways they're trying to promote their members game instead of doing it openly and honestly. Apparently the actual members game isn't enough anymore. :unsure:

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

You'd be suprised... And the most important feature of the system is: people are less inclined to stop their membership, because they will lose out on loyalty points the next time they get members. Also, as the auras will work as tiers, some might become very important in the game. It's basically like a ring of kinship, so within some time, I can see clans who demand their members to have specific auras.

I must be the only person in Christendom that still thinks these auras were supposed to be cosmetic.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I must be the only person in Christendom that still thinks these auras were supposed to be cosmetic.

The fact that a tier-1 aura provides a noticeable prayer bonus for a slayer task or two pretty much refutes that.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

Nope, I was expecting them to be cosmetic also.

+1

Would have also liked the stuff alot more if it were all cosmetic. With the current system in place, instead of being able to buy something every month, you HAVE to compile as many points as possible until the next batch(have to as in efficiency sake).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Somehow, I thought there'd be at least variation in colour.

Damn.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

We already had the Warrior's Guild bank and and Rogue's Den bank.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Thats exactly what I thought as well. Nothing we can really do except wait now.

I'm kinda excited about the new upgrades though. I like my prayer aura and it would be nice to upgrade it even more.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I wonder if this means we have to have the first tier aura before purchasing the second tier aura if it's along the same bonus line. (Talking like the master wand upgrade method)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Since the next tier is coming out in October I guess I'll be saving all of my points until then. I bet they will have a sale when the new tiers are released too.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Still think Jagex should not have introduced such a program; however, I like the auras and look forward to their upgrades. Yea, Im a hypocrite, I know, Ive already admitted it in earlier threads.

I figured they were not going to be only cosmetic, and am indifferent about the fact they arent.

wessan.png