A New country is born

Star_Fox

South Sudan Becomes World's Newest Nation

South Sudan became the world's newest country on Saturday (local time) as it declared its independence.

In anticipation of an uneasy transition to statehood, the United Nations authorized sent 7,000 troops and 900 police on Friday to help establish peace for the war-ravaged new nation. The U.N. resolution was drafted by the United States and approved by the U.N. Security Council by a 15-0 vote.

Southern Sudan has been in a civil war with its northern counterpart, its second since Sudan became a nation, since the mid-1980s. The split has partly been along religious lines. North Sudan is mostly Muslim while those in the South are mostly Christian and Animist. South Sudan sought independence, in part, over its objections to being governed by Sharia law.

Christian groups and celebrities, such as Bono and George Clooney, have been influential in bringing international attention to Sudan's civil war, especially over the last decade. Samaritan's Purse, a Christian relief organization, has been one of the organizations heavily involved in helping to relieve suffering caused by the war. Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse, made note of the unusual coalitions involved in helping southern Sudan in an interview with Foreign Policy magazine.

“I'm very grateful for George Clooney and what many of the Hollywood types have done. It's been extremely valuable in keeping Sudan in the center of attention,” said Graham. Graham also made clear that the work of relief agencies is far from over, even with South Sudan's independence.

When asked if South Sudan was ready to govern on its own, Graham replied, “No, it's going to have to have a lot of help. The United States, no question, has to get into that situation knee deep because if we just pull back, I don't see how they make it. Europe has to be involved. The United Nations has to be involved. The border has to be protected. China has to get involved. They have the oil leases. They are going to have to invest in the south. It's going to take a few years for this to function. Look how far they've come in such a short time, though.”

Bottom line: Southern Sudan claims independance from the sovereignty of former country Sudan. Yay or nay?

Aight cool, I guess. Just one more flag up in the UN really.

What ever happened to all those Egyptian riots? Are we going to have a Southern Egypt soon, too?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

South Sudan. How original. Is Regular Sudan now North Sudan or still just Sudan?

I believe the "North Sudan" is still Sudan. The only difference now is that it shares border to South Sudan like a parallel of North and South Korea.

The main question now is how many other states are officially recognising it as a country?

Well since its UN supported that means the 192 member states recognise it and there's only a cluster of 10 or so officially recognised countries that aren't in the un.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I say 'Yay' to the creation of South Sudan. All of us saw how atrocious that civil war between north and south was. The Arabs in the north benefitted too much from the south's wealth, and as siuch this new nation has a lot of catching up to do in terms of its development.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I saw this on CNN and thought it wasn't true or something like that.

Good for them, but I don't really care about having a new country in the world. How about they fix the problem in Darfur before asking for independence...

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Good for them, but I don't really care about having a new country in the world. How about they fix the problem in Darfur before asking for independence...

You mean the problem that reached a ceasefire last year and is currently in tentative situation of ongoing peace? A situation which this split will also largely resolve as southern sudan is primarily non-arab christian opposed to northern arab islamic and the whole darfur conflict was about non-arab sudanese being oppressed and this dividing of the state is kinda rolled on from the darfur thing amoung other issues.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You mean the problem that reached a ceasefire last year and is currently in tentative situation of ongoing peace? A situation which this split will also largely resolve as southern sudan is primarily non-arab christian opposed to northern arab islamic and the whole darfur conflict was about non-arab sudanese being oppressed and this dividing of the state is kinda rolled on from the darfur thing amoung other issues.

I thought that Darfur was in western Sudan, not the southern part? So the refugees will now all migrate to South Sudan for freedom?

modmarkl.jpg

I thought that Darfur was in western Sudan, not the southern part? So the refugees will now all migrate to South Sudan for freedom?

Depends where they put the borders; it is in the west but since when is west exclusive from north and south? It'll be somewhere close to the border if it is being split literally across the middle. What the refugees do isn't exactly a clean cut issue, they are only refugees because of the fighting in Darfur; one would assume the ongoing peace of the past year has massively reduced refugee numbers and those remaining are due to destroyed property; plus the refugees fall on both sides of the argument, they were just civilians in the way. One would assume some may migrate to north/south sudan dependant on the borders and their views.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It would be interesting to see where they draw the new borders especially if Sudan doesn't want to lose oil fields. I'd expect South Sudan to get no major resources though...

modmarkl.jpg

South Sudan. How original. Is Regular Sudan now North Sudan or still just Sudan?

I think people are going to start calling the northern country North Sudan, but officially, the two countries are the Republic of Sudan and the Republic of South Sudan. It's probably like that because changing the name of an already existing country sounds like an administrative nightmare. It doesn't really matter, so long as the two places recognise each other's sovereignty. Here's to a happy birthday to the world's newest nation.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I'm sure it'll be like the Democractic People's Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea, who are colloquially known as North and South Korea respectively. You can go all over the world and find weird official names for sovereign states.

I'm sure it'll be like the Democractic People's Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea, who are colloquially known as North and South Korea respectively. You can go all over the world and find weird official names for sovereign states.

Yeah there's loads of weird quirks to country/state names. Like how Great Britain technically is only england scotland and wales while the United Kingdom includes northern ireland as well.

And obviously nationality quirks too; like how a lot of americans (more so than europeans seemingly) don't seem to be able to grasp British and English aren't interchangeable and often annoy Scottish, Welsh and Irish brits by calling them English. And then obvious quirks where nationality can link to more than 1 nation like korean, sudanese and irish all link to two countires now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Pretty much, although both the Koreas don't officially recognise each other and both claim to be the sole legitimate government of the whole Korean peninsula, so the official naming there is for a slightly different reason.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The main question now is how many other states are officially recognising it as a country?

Well since its UN supported that means the 192 member states recognise it and there's only a cluster of 10 or so officially recognised countries that aren't in the un.

Both Koreas are members of the UN, neither views the other as a sovereign state.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Both Koreas are members of the UN, neither views the other as a sovereign state.

That's an entirely different and irrelevant issue.

The UN supports the separation of the Sudan and creation of South Sudan therefore the UN officially recognises it and thus its members will (should) recognise the state.

The Korean split wasn't UN supported so there's no reason the UN states have to recognise them separately in that sense; though they do (ignoring the obvious exception).

And its entirely different in Sudan both recognise the split and approve of it (or at least tolerate it). Korea both claim the entire country as theirs.

Aside from "nation splitting in two" they are entirely different circumstances and events.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Well, if they feel they should be separate, good for them I guess.

The only reason they're separate is because the North is a mad communist dictatorship whose head of state has been dead for 17 years. I've a friend who fled there, and from what he tells me it's far from a good place to live.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau