Tip.It Times - 10th July 2011 (Interview with SUOMI)

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome interview.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the author of the randoms article is just trolling.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Random tip for the DYK:DO NOT TRY TO DHAROK THE ABBERANT SPECTRES! You need a nosepeg for them, and they can deal damage THROUGH protect from magic. Other things are generally safe, but I repeat do not dharok spectres!!!!!!!

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

There are people who enjoy the lore and people who don't. Most don't read them because:

1) It takes effort to start reading and few want to do that in a game

2) Some don't know about it

3) Some know about it but have a preconceived notion that it's 'lame' because it's....well fantasy.

I don't read it either but when i did i guess it was ok. Obviously there are those who do read it as otherwise Jagex wouldn't invest time in making it. It's kind of the same reason i'm not going to read Suomi's interview, lol. I have a preconceived idea that it's something i won't care about and because it's long as [bleep] i'm not going to invest the effort to do it :P

Final1.jpg

That, and the desert slayer dungeon is filled with hostile level 90 banshees that hit pretty hard, so....probably not a good idea to just run through there wearing both melee armor and no head protection.

EDIT: I liked the parts where suomi refers to goofing off as wasting exp. I giggle a bit inside.

8f14270694.jpg

I still don't get the concept as experience being an end in itself. I find it to be a number to guage between levels and as rewards for certain stuff. Honestly, efficiency playing to me is like slitting the wrists of Runescape and letting all the fun drain out of it.

If others find enjoyment in it, cool. Just never expect me to understand it.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the author of the randoms article is just trolling.

You're wrong.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I've read the interview with SUOMI at least a half a dozen times in the last week (being on the EP has its perks :wink: ) and it never gets old. An old school, high leveled player who's both humble and grateful. RS would be a better place if there were more people like him. :thumbup:

I agree with Crocefisso about the random events. To this day I still worry that Jagex will bring back Rock Golems and gas leaks and not tell us. They definitely cranked the difficulty level down on the randoms. If the dangerous randoms were brought back, it would certainly make things more difficult for botters.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

You're wrong.

Well then again, you are the person who said, "Dungeoneering is featureless; it is lost between the puzzle-like elements of quests and combat, with cooperative benefits of doing so resembling boss monster encounters. It belongs to no category and is a characterless feature added only to satiate demanding, shallow customers."

I suppose substantial customers miss the old randoms?

Dungoneering is featureless but dangerous randoms are true content. Explain this.

Edit: @Kaida23, bots never used to have problems with randoms and if they were reinstated they still wouldn't.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

You're wrong.

Well then again, you are the person who said, "Dungeoneering is featureless; it is lost between the puzzle-like elements of quests and combat, with cooperative benefits of doing so resembling boss monster encounters. It belongs to no category and is a characterless feature added only to satiate demanding, shallow customers."

I suppose substantial customers miss the old randoms?

Dungoneering is featureless but dangerous randoms are true content. Explain this.

Edit: @Kaida23, bots never used to have problems with randoms and if they were reinstated they still wouldn't.

Read both articles. They discuss totally different aspects of the game and there is absolutely no contradiction between the two. One says that a few skills aren't as good as others, the other points out that dangerous random events made all skills in general a little more exciting. If you see a link, please do illuminate me.

Randoms don't do [cabbage] to stop bots. The only random event should be genies.

Randoms do a little, but I do admit that it's very little in the article. The main advantage of them is the fun that lies behind the diversion.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Great interview with SUOMI, I look forward to seeing the race go on to 200mil in all.

I liked the other two articles, especially the one about the little updates; however, I think Jagex could move the good graphics updates to encompass all RS by now instead of random places around the world map.

I agree that it is sad to see the old random events go by the wayside when the fighting ones usually had a good reward you could get that others liked. Plus the battles were fun for everyone. On the other hand, if you take a trip down to LRC, you have a mining area patrolled by constant Rock Golems (I hated fighting those things) and yet they do not really stop the problem anyway. So overall, I think bringing them back would be a good thing, but they do not serve as much a purpose as one thinks. Complex puzzle events are probably more of a deterrent to bots.

wessan.png

My friend A Final Name used to a have picture of donating me hex but he lost it because his computer crashed.

wat

"A Final Name" donated a Hex to SUOMI. "A Final Name" had a picture of the donation to SUOMI, but "A Final Name" lost the picture when his computer crashed.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

My friend A Final Name used to a have picture of donating me hex but he lost it because his computer crashed.

wat

"A Final Name" donated a Hex to SUOMI. "A Final Name" had a picture of the donation to SUOMI, but "A Final Name" lost the picture when his computer crashed.

Grimy is confused because that's not quite the truth, hence the 'wat'.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

wat

That's what A Final Name told me but the picture wasn't that important anyways =P I still have that Hex. Was fun training dungeoreening with you too Grimy Bunyip, you were in that floor too when I got the hex donation if I remember right.

I am glad to hear if someone enjoyed reading the interview, it was really a pleasure to do it. Brought back so many good memories and since I started my 200M all skills goal like 3 years ago I have been thinking of a way to thank my friends and everyone else. This was a great way to do it and I am so glad I got the chance to do this interview.

I know it's a bit too long, sorry about that. If you don't want to read it, that's fine. I had so much to say and people ask me so many questions all the time so I decided to answer as many questions as possible.

Thanks again everyone <3

My goal is to get 200M in all skills.

My Tip.it interview: http://tip.it/runescape/?times=640

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RsSuomi

I play Private Off most of the time but please send me private message here on Tip.it if you want to say or ask something.

I still remember the old dangerous randoms fondly. I was usually armored & ready for the fight. :thumbsup:

Yes, as were most people. This is a point I forgot to bring up in my last post: considering the advent of things like lumberjack outfits and the rewards from the Lava Flow game, these outfits would be fairly defenseless against things like the rock golems and river trolls of old. That may be reason for their decline because those who use those outfits would be at an unfair disadvantage compared to the time they put in to achieve the rewards.

I personally dont own any of the outfits, but I could understand someones point of view who does.

wessan.png

i liked the more frequent random events that we used to get, they broke up some of the more boring training nicely. However at the time I appeared to be in the minority. Saying you enjoyed encountering random events tended to get yourself considered a loony.

I don't think bringing back dangerous random events would particularly help against the botting problem. They had been programmed around. Sure they slow down bots slightly, but they slow down everyone else just as much - so they don't in anyway make the none-botting option more appealing than the botting option.

and dangerous randoms might mean that people learn not to wear their expensive items, but then plenty of items main function is to wear them to show off you've got something hard to obtain.

- so it's debatable if people learning not to wear them is a good thing. Though to be honest you weren't in much danger of dying if you knew what you were doing - don't think I ever died to a random.

Also contrary to what the article states, the removal of dangerous random events didn't make the other ones more common. - because they simultaneously made random events in general much rarer. They did remove about half of the events, and then make events appear at about a quarter of the rate, (maybe even less than that - you could sometimes get stupid numbers on some skills like magic) meaning you are now getting any individual random event less often than before. It actually took me a while to unlock the new sandwich lady music because I was not getting that event - when I used to meet the sandwich lady all the time.

wat

That's what A Final Name told me but the picture wasn't that important anyways =P I still have that Hex. Was fun training dungeoreening with you too Grimy Bunyip, you were in that floor too when I got the hex donation if I remember right.

Me 3

Cool interview, read it all.

lalalasig2.png

I enjoyed the randoms article and the lore/music article, and I believe now I will listen to the music in new areas instead of just having it off.

SUOMI's interview was a bit long for my taste so I didn't really read it.

Great interview! Very long, yet kept me interested the whole way though. :thumbup:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.