Working for Jagex

Dire_Wolf

Stellar Dawn; just because you haven't seen anything or heard anything does not mean that it's going nowhere, let me assure you of that. Likewise with transformers. We know Stellar Dawn is in Alpha, perhaps even finished.

FunOrb yes, of course is not gold in any sense; it's as much as had its day. Make or break? I would really doubt that. With the playerbase RuneScape alone has, anything new released would already have a following upon release. With paying members, of course. I think after 10 years, Jagex know what to do and what not to do to create success. Other developers, Zipper Int. for example...Creator of the SOCOM series and also MAG, which is a game like no other FPS on the market, but they went about it wrong over two years ago now and the game is slowly losing numbers. That's all down to key changes and a lack of funds in certain areas...Whereas Jagex, on the other hand know exactly how to market their game at this stage and to provide content which pleases...Because they've "Been there, done that.".

Mechscape was scraped because it wasn't "fun", they took a lot of the resources from that and changed stuff and made new stuff to develop Stellar Dawn. My point is, the first major project after Runescape was killed because they felt it wasn't a fun game. I don't think there's anything worse than that from a development view point.

Just because Runescape has a large playerbase and sure, that helps a lot. But just because isn't enough. If they pump out a new game and everyone think it blows major ass then they failed as a developer. As a developer, in my opinion, whatever their next project that is released will be very important.

Whereas Jagex, on the other hand know exactly how to market their game at this stage and to provide content which pleases

Yes they know how to market, that's why I said Jagex as a publisher won't end any time soon. As far as providing content that pleases, they are very hit and miss. Walk around in Runescape and look at all the content that gets played. Look at all the minigames nobody gives a [cabbage] about. We have mid level players who feel there's too much content for new players while veterans feel there's not enough content for them. I could go on and on and a lot of it stems from the fact that Runescape is so old now.

I will have to say that I agree with glasscube here, especially the last paragraph. There's a huge load of updates that never get any attention after the first week of their release. This is a problem, even though Jagex's knows how to market their games, it won't last for ever. Nothing does. Runescape is becoming old, and with the big botting problems we have in this game, we need Jagex to take more action to control and steer up the game.

However, I still don't think that RS will die anytime soon. The game is still alive and I believe that Jagex will fix the problems the game has, even though it will take time and a lot more effort than they are putting into the game at the moment.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Quick note: JaGEx DO NOT offer work experiance, as I tried to get a placement there, and was told that if they offered work exp, I'd be in for it, but they cant giveout work exp placements due to "security risks" I'd have to sign NDAs and all, and it would be damn hard to stick to them. :(

http://www.jagex.com/careers#/vacancies/industrial-placement

They run this Industrial Placement each year, I think applications open around January each year for a year long placement in Player Support starting that Summer.

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

Kind of a dead-end programming job. There can't be too many years left for scape, and all of jagex's other games fail to impress.

Also, graphics suck, and that is most of what game design is. I'd rather do what I currently do (ad delivery) than fiddle with graphics ANY day.

I'm sure working on the biggest free-to-play MMORPG in human history would sound impressive on your CV. :P

The pay isn't too astounding. A job as a game programmer pays 25-38k pounds... that's $39-60k. I'm not sure why such a competitive position pays such a mediocre salary.

lalalasig2.png

Apply for their quality assurance department, you might be the lone guy there

It's not that they don't have QA. They just don't listen to them, I remember reading several recent update FAQs where a question was 'why didn't you change this?' and the response is 'our QA dept. asked for this, and we ignored them for technical reasons'.

I'm not an efficienado.

Guest jrhairychest

Possibly true. Hilariously ironic though. Think the joke's on you for paying for membs to support the joke company while posting on a fansite about their joke game. :razz:

Possibly true. Hilariously ironic though. Think the joke's on you for paying for membs to support the joke company while posting on a fansite about their joke game. :razz:

The catch 22 is that you have to post on the fansite to argue this topic, and spending time on a runescape fansite without paying for the game leaves you in the dark for most of the discussion.

lalalasig2.png

Also please note that it would really suck to go for a job where you know your work and your product will be torn apart due to a few people in charge being complete dummies.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Guest jrhairychest

The catch 22 is that you have to post on the fansite to argue this topic, and spending time on a runescape fansite without paying for the game leaves you in the dark for most of the discussion.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would do make a better statement of displeasure by voting with their feet, leave the game and play something else. That's a little more logical rather than "Jagex you're a bunch of losers and I complain about you endlessly....oh btw here's your monthly fee" :-s

Anyone with an ounce of sense would do make a better statement of displeasure by voting with their feet, leave the game and play something else. That's a little more logical rather than "Jagex you're a bunch of losers and I complain about you endlessly....oh btw here's your monthly fee" :-s

I like the game, just hate the fools that make it and I am sad at all the lost potential this game suffers from due to their stupidity.

I like runescape but it would have been sooooooo much better if someone other then Jagex made it

Your arguments don't make sense. If someone else than Jagex made Runescape, it wouldn't be Runescape as we know it... It wouldn't be Runescape at all, just some other random MMO. Like it or not, of all the MMOs out there, the one you play is Runescape, so bash them all you want, but the joke's on you, since you're playing their game, and not someone else's.

Man, I swear every game forums I go to is full of people thinking others would make such or such game better than their current owner. If we could make electricity out of whining, game forums would provide enough power for humanity as a whole. Yes, Jagex made some unpopular moves, but considering how long the game has been running successfully, they certainly got a LOT of things right.

ranger4life995ut.gif

I like the game, just hate the fools that make it and I am sad at all the lost potential this game suffers from due to their stupidity.

I like runescape but it would have been sooooooo much better if someone other then Jagex made it

Your arguments don't make sense. If someone else than Jagex made Runescape, it wouldn't be Runescape as we know it... It wouldn't be Runescape at all, just some other random MMO. Like it or not, of all the MMOs out there, the one you play is Runescape, so bash them all you want, but the joke's on you, since you're playing their game, and not someone else's.

Man, I swear every game forums I go to is full of people thinking others would make such or such game better than their current owner. If we could make electricity out of whining, game forums would provide enough power for humanity as a whole. Yes, Jagex made some unpopular moves, but considering how long the game has been running successfully, they certainly got a LOT of things right.

I'd say then I wish the Gowers had kept control of their game more instead of letting it go piece by piece. The problem here is people being at the top who have no business being there. It's called the Obama syndrome. :thumbdown:

As a publisher they still have a future because they have money and as long as they don't throw that down the drain it should be good.

Jagex should be making a killing with Facebook and iPhone apps, that's where the future of making billions in gaming is. Idk why they don't just spend 2 month making bs game where you pick cabbage (like Farmville) and make money off that.

Also please note that it would really suck to go for a job where you know your work and your product will be torn apart due to a few people in charge being complete dummies.

Sounds like my job some days. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Sounds like my job some days. :lol:

Yes, mine too. At least you don't have to do it face to face like I do.

Guest jrhairychest

Amen to that. Well said :thumbup: