Merching Dead?

Teryaki

I am truly surprised that you all do very short term investments.

It is very risky and this isnt a good practice at all in any markets, unless you know the next big thing is going to happen shortly and you arbitrage.

Like any investment adviser would tell you, have a look at the price trend before you put your money in.

Have you ever had any experience with flipping? Or merching on RS at all?

Because truly, short term investments is EXACTLY how you make money.

If you try to go for long term investment - chances are extremely high that you will lose money (unless you're super duper rich and you're just buying phats/halloween masks/santas/etc)

If you don't believe this, randomly think of 5 items and check up their 180 day price change on the GE. I'm pretty sure all of those 5 items will have a negative price change (and if its positive the price probably started at 5 gp and rose to 7 gp or something along those lines.

Price trend may not always be an accurate depictor of what is a good/bad trade. Unlike the stock market where you're forced to sell at exactly the market price, the GE gives farm more leeway. You can change your price inbetween and I've experimented with items that have pretty stable price trends but they can offer amazing profit as well.

Also, the GE trends are based on the average of prices that an item goes through. If you're flipping, you're buying low and selling high. The average of these two are way closer to the median and as a result, you wouldn't change the GE median much which then distort the trend you would like to see.

Boy have I got experience merching, not flipping.

And I can name 10 items that are going really good in the long term or 10 items that did well for me.

When doing a long term investment, I not only look at the 180, 90 and 30 day chart, I also estemate how needed a product is and the times I am doing the merch in.

So when you doing a long term you also gotta think a little bit, but that is rewarded.

I am going to give an example:

I got a long term running for a little while, right now it is at 150% which means I could make 60 Million right now.

It is risky but I am going to wait even longer and go for it when it is at 250% which is not going to take long.

(And I got more items laying around just like that, some worth a lot more)

I already have my plan drawn for what I do after that.

Final note, rares and stuff rise too damn slow to make good long term money off.

Rares are what you reside to when you are going to take a break, don't know how long.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

Too bored to read all the replies so this may have already been bought up, but, if you are flipping 10 per 4 hours, there is a no surprise your making such small profits. Also the items are bad for large profits.

Ugh had problems posting a reply.

Long term merching for like 90 days would not be feasible for me since I probably won't be playing 9 days from now. I turn members on and off all the time depending on how much free time I have irl. So I have to do short term. :) Blame it on my lack of focus and short attention span in RS.

I totally agree that flipping is dead, well almost dead. having a huge cashpile to start with you can still make decent money. I remember the 'good old days' when i was in W2 Fally for hours yelling "buy all chaos 115ea, sell chaos 135ea" and i mananged to build my 10m into 60m in less than month. Some items however rise/fall in the day and fall/rise in the night. (i could once instantly buy maple longbow(u)'s on GE and sell instantly them for +30gp ea after 8 hours or so, I had very limited cash though)

tuuskukk.png

If you try to go for long term investment - chances are extremely high that you will lose money (unless you're super duper rich and you're just buying phats/halloween masks/santas/etc)

If you don't believe this, randomly think of 5 items and check up their 180 day price change on the GE. I'm pretty sure all of those 5 items will have a negative price change (and if its positive the price probably started at 5 gp and rose to 7 gp or something along those lines.

Price trend may not always be an accurate depictor of what is a good/bad trade. Unlike the stock market where you're forced to sell at exactly the market price, the GE gives farm more leeway. You can change your price inbetween and I've experimented with items that have pretty stable price trends but they can offer amazing profit as well.

Also, the GE trends are based on the average of prices that an item goes through. If you're flipping, you're buying low and selling high. The average of these two are way closer to the median and as a result, you wouldn't change the GE median much which then distort the trend you would like to see.

It seems that your flipping is about putting a buy and sell offer at the same time. Hell, you can do that in the stock market as well, you dont have to sell exactly at the market price unless your bank or agent is inefficent.

You dont have to wait for 180days, its about following the trend. Besides, long term investment doesnt mean you buy and forget then come back after a month and look what happens.

It seems that your flipping is about putting a buy and sell offer at the same time. Hell, you can do that in the stock market as well, you dont have to sell exactly at the market price unless your bank or agent is inefficent.

You dont have to wait for 180days, its about following the trend. Besides, long term investment doesnt mean you buy and forget then come back after a month and look what happens.

capt%20kevin.png

...The stock market does not function anything at all like a GE.

There is no min/max buy offer. You decide to buy or sell and in the case of most brokerage firms/etrade, you end up paying the real time price of the executed transaction.

You can set up whatever price difference you like but the price paid for the stock or the price the stock sold for is the price of the stock - is exactly the cost of the stock at the time the transaction is received.

Otherwise, you could just end up having huge moguls or corporations or even groups of people who would essentially just flip without any regards to buying/selling limits.

Which is ridiculous because then everybody would be making huge amounts of money, and somebody has to incur the costs.

capt%20kevin.png

...The stock market does not function anything at all like a GE.

There is no min/max buy offer. You decide to buy or sell and in the case of most brokerage firms/etrade, you end up paying the real time price of the executed transaction.

You can set up whatever price difference you like but the price paid for the stock or the price the stock sold for is the price of the stock - is exactly the cost of the stock at the time the transaction is received.

Otherwise, you could just end up having huge moguls or corporations or even groups of people who would essentially just flip without any regards to buying/selling limits.

Which is ridiculous because then everybody would be making huge amounts of money, and somebody has to incur the costs.

Well, it would be fun to see the ability of short-selling in RS.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.