Tip.It Times - 24th July 2011

tripsis

I was quite disappointed in the interview. The second and fourth articles didn't seem to really have a point, but were still good reads.

I feel the third article really covered the issue well, although I do still think the wildy/free trade poll was a bit of a gimmick to get players who had quit active (and subscribing) again.

My feelings exactly. the author of the balance article did a really good job of covering the issue. I agreed with most everything he said. I was fairly disappointed with all the articles aside from the balancing article.

catfight2.jpg

I'd like to address Crocefisso, author of the article "The Impossible Balance." First, a bit of constructive criticism. Your tone and writing style were abrasive. The first time I started to read your article I didn't finish because your harsh, rude tone irritated me and reminded me of those political commentators who make their point by bashing their opponents with scathing remarks that lack any true wit.

I resumed reading your article after a friend mentioned to me that you directly insulted those who think differently than you on the issue of free trade and player vs. player wilderness. I wanted to be sure this was the case and it was. Calling those who think differently than you morons is simply not okay. Again, this is the same tactic as many political commentators who use name-calling to garner the support of the dim-witted and try and undermine their opponents when they have no true arguments to back them up.

I quite like the elements of free trade and player vs. player wilderness myself. It makes the game more interesting and more like the fantasy worlds it is trying to emulate. You see, in most of these worlds (and in the middle ages, a time many fantasy worlds, including runescape, are modeled after) free trade with friends and neighbors is quite a common occurrence as is the concept of being attacked by those that would kill you for your possession or in an attempt to prove themselves stronger or better than others. It is quite understandable that there are those players who would want to engage in these behaviors as they can enrich their game playing experience.

For those who do not enjoy such activities the solution is simple: don't engage in them. If you don't wish to trade with individual players outside the avenue of the grand exchange don't. Likewise if you don't wish to kill random players in the wilderness to take their items don't, and don't take anything you can't afford or don't wish to lose with you when you go there and exercise caution in your explorations. As a relatively new player (I only started playing in May) this is my strategy when I visit the wilderness. I bank all of my items before entering, and do not explore too deeply on my own. There is plenty more to explore in the world of runescape that is safe at my level after all.

If you don't like these features of runescape, don't try and ruin them for those who do. Instead focus your energies else where. Perhaps you could try dealing with the problems of poverty and hunger in the real world instead of pouring so much into something that is, in the end, just a video game. But then again that's just my opinion, and unlike Crocefisso I don't insult those with opinions then my own. Everyone is, after all, entitled to their own opinion.

I see bots while mining every day. I know they're bots and not real players because they follow a predictable pattern, and no real person would wander back and forth between the rocks for two hours while getting no ores without complaining or leaving.

This. Many bots travel around in groups, often with similar setups, following predicable patterns, performing the same task over and over for hours straight with no interaction with other players. Even if they don't get the ores/logs they need, they wander back and forth waiting for that re-spawn. They don't give up. They are programmed to perform a task in stages. They will repeat a certain stage until a flag tells them it's okay to move onto the next sub-task. This is why you'll see many bots running back and forth between rocks/trees because of competition.

They are waiting to get enough logs/ores to bank. When they get enough, they follow the predictable pattern to the bank, follow the predictable pattern back to the resource spot, and repeat gathering. And when all of this is happening, they never say a single word. They're very easy to distinguish from normal players. Bot behavior is very unusual. The fact that you can see many "players" acting the same way I and Kaida described simply means there's many, many bots, and it's not pretty to see.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

I'd like to address Crocefisso, author of the article "The Impossible Balance." First, a bit of constructive criticism. You're tone and writing style were abrasive. The first time I started to read your article I didn't finish because your harsh, rude tone irritated me and reminded me of those political commentators who make their point by bashing their opponents with scathing remarks that lack any true wit. I resumed reading your article after a friend mentioned to me that you directly insulted those who think differently than you on the issue of free trade and player vs. player wilderness. I wanted to be sure this was the case and it was. Calling those who think differently than you morons is simply not okay. Again, this is the same tactic as many political commentators who use name-calling to garner the support of the dim-witted and try and undermine their opponents when they have no true arguments to back them up. I quite like the elements of free trade and player vs. player wilderness myself. It makes the game more interesting and more like the fantasy worlds it is trying to emulate. You see, in most of these worlds (and in the middle ages, a time many fantasy worlds, including runescape, are modeled after) free trade with friends and neighbors is quite a common occurrence as is the concept of being attacked by those that would kill you for your possession or in an attempt to prove themselves stronger or better than others. It is quite understandable that there are those players who would want to engage in these behaviors as they can enrich their game playing experience. And for those who do not enjoy such activities the solution is simple: don't engage in them. If you don't wish to trade with individual players outside the avenue of the grand exchange don't. Likewise if you don't wish to kill random players in the wilderness to take their items don't, and don't take anything you can't afford or don't wish to lose with you when you go there and exercise caution in your explorations. As a relatively new player (I only started playing in May) this is my strategy when I visit the wilderness. I bank all of my items before entering, and do not explore too deeply on my own. There is plenty more to explore in the world of runescape that is safe at my level after all. But if you don't like these features of runescape, don't try and ruin them for those who do. Instead focus your energies else where. Perhaps you could try dealing with the problems of poverty and hunger in the real world instead of pouring so much into something that is, in the end, just a video game. But then again that's just my opinion, and unlike Crocefisso I don't insult those with opinions then my own. Everyone is, after all, entitled to their own opinion.

1. Use the enter button. The wall of text is hard on the eyes

2. as a player who just started this may on their first account you shouldn't be taking on a lecturing tone. I agree that the author was harsh- but I also feel like the harshness was necessary. I can understand a criticism of his tone- not everyone will see things the same way that I do, but I also feel like you have to have an idea what you're talking about before you give that criticism. You haven't been around since 07 and don't know what the game was like with trade limits or what the wilderness and trade was like before the grand exchange etc. I feel like you have to have a good grasp on the topic of the article before you give criticism on how it is presented.

3. You're right. you don't insult those who have a different opinion than you. You pretend like you're they're mother.

4. the people the author is talking about have NO idea what they want or the consequences of their actions. Jagex is bombarded with criticism from 12 year olds and then has to try to figure out a solution to their problems while at the same time considering the consequences. If the player base knew what they wanted and were able to vocalize this in a manner that made sense I feel like Jagex would be more responsive. I feel like jagex is doing a good job working with what they're given. 12 year olds.

catfight2.jpg

For the lovers of minigames such as Shades of Mort'ton, Trouble Brewing, Fishing Trawler, and Temple Trekking, this would be a wonderful and welcomed revival.

Temple Trekking's a single-player minigame, yo.

They answer the same thing 4-5 times, and ignored a major one:

CAN YOU BUILD A GOD DAMN CLAN CITADEL PORTAL IN YOUR PLAYER-OWNED HOUSE?!?

Jeez. <_<

That would be a detail. Jagex is allergic to those.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Jeez. <_<

Nice sig. I can tell you'll be a valued member here.

@question: I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

Jeez. <_<

Nice sig. I can tell you'll be a valued member here.

@question: I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

Peh, Lame. I'd be willing to buy 5 Marble blocks for it.

Popoto.~<3

I'd like to address Crocefisso, author of the article "The Impossible Balance." First, a bit of constructive criticism. You're tone and writing style were abrasive. The first time I started to read your article I didn't finish because your harsh, rude tone irritated me and reminded me of those political commentators who make their point by bashing their opponents with scathing remarks that lack any true wit. I resumed reading your article after a friend mentioned to me that you directly insulted those who think differently than you on the issue of free trade and player vs. player wilderness. I wanted to be sure this was the case and it was. Calling those who think differently than you morons is simply not okay. Again, this is the same tactic as many political commentators who use name-calling to garner the support of the dim-witted and try and undermine their opponents when they have no true arguments to back them up. I quite like the elements of free trade and player vs. player wilderness myself. It makes the game more interesting and more like the fantasy worlds it is trying to emulate. You see, in most of these worlds (and in the middle ages, a time many fantasy worlds, including runescape, are modeled after) free trade with friends and neighbors is quite a common occurrence as is the concept of being attacked by those that would kill you for your possession or in an attempt to prove themselves stronger or better than others. It is quite understandable that there are those players who would want to engage in these behaviors as they can enrich their game playing experience. And for those who do not enjoy such activities the solution is simple: don't engage in them. If you don't wish to trade with individual players outside the avenue of the grand exchange don't. Likewise if you don't wish to kill random players in the wilderness to take their items don't, and don't take anything you can't afford or don't wish to lose with you when you go there and exercise caution in your explorations. As a relatively new player (I only started playing in May) this is my strategy when I visit the wilderness. I bank all of my items before entering, and do not explore too deeply on my own. There is plenty more to explore in the world of runescape that is safe at my level after all. But if you don't like these features of runescape, don't try and ruin them for those who do. Instead focus your energies else where. Perhaps you could try dealing with the problems of poverty and hunger in the real world instead of pouring so much into something that is, in the end, just a video game. But then again that's just my opinion, and unlike Crocefisso I don't insult those with opinions then my own. Everyone is, after all, entitled to their own opinion.

1. Use the enter button. The wall of text is hard on the eyes

2. as a player who just started this may on their first account you shouldn't be taking on a lecturing tone. I agree that the author was harsh- but I also feel like the harshness was necessary. I can understand a criticism of his tone- not everyone will see things the same way that I do, but I also feel like you have to have an idea what you're talking about before you give that criticism. You haven't been around since 07 and don't know what the game was like with trade limits or what the wilderness and trade was like before the grand exchange etc. I feel like you have to have a good grasp on the topic of the article before you give criticism on how it is presented.

3. You're right. you don't insult those who have a different opinion than you. You pretend like you're they're mother.

4. the people the author is talking about have NO idea what they want or the consequences of their actions. Jagex is bombarded with criticism from 12 year olds and then has to try to figure out a solution to their problems while at the same time considering the consequences. If the player base knew what they wanted and were able to vocalize this in a manner that made sense I feel like Jagex would be more responsive. I feel like jagex is doing a good job working with what they're given. 12 year olds.

Exactly, Mini Spawn. You're right on the money.

phimugirl: the article was harsh - tonally and content-wise - because the damage caused by people's misguided expectations, memories and idealism have a lot of influence over Jagex and as such yields a degree of influence over Jagex's actions. I think to call the article insulting would be to take it a little too personally.

Similarly, if you read the article, I am not directly bemoaning the reintroduction of free trade and PVP wildy, but rather the player attitudes and culture that facilitated its return, regardless of whether or not the features are good ones.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

The impossible balance article really seemed to make some ridiculous claims.

Somehow in this article, it ends up not being the fault of JaGex that their poll looped free trade and wilderness views in together. I mean, The only options were "yes" "no," and "don't care." To me, they should have separated the two ideas altogether. Somehow, you blame the players for the lack of insight on the part of the creator of the poll. Personally, I play the game that is made and don't do too much hating on JaGex, because ultimately, I'm either going to play the game or I'm not. Another thing mentioned in this article was the complaints made immediately after free trade and PVP wilderness returned. I think anyone complaining about the removal of the pvp worlds was completely justified. Seriously, I don't understand how JaGex could take away the best part about not having wilderness, and not expect some complaints.

But to the main point of your article, People are complaining way too much, and the game isn't going to be based around too much player-input as long as the fansites and official forums are filled with posts bashing JaGex for all the bots.

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Similarly, anyone gullible enough to believe that Jagex had some sort of comprehensive strategy to defeat bots as Jagex did, at one point, claim is the same sort of moron who gets ripped off under free trade. Botting software is not static; it is always changing, and claiming to have a single, all inclusive solution is ridiculous. Jagex shouldnt have made such a claim, nor should anyone have believed it.

This is what gives me pause on balance article. You can make accounts harder to create, you can create a tutorial world with strict supervision where accounts have to remain for X number of days before being released into the regular worlds, you can simply stick a Jagex mod at any number of X locations and just start banning the people who are obviously bots. Players who like to be 'quiet' when skilling are going to notice the mod and do something differently so nobody would be magically getting banned. I understand that there isn't a magic button that can be pressed but to call people morons for believing after 2 years (or however long) Jagex might actually invest some time into fighting bots? That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

I agree the solution is to move forward and not back. I feel like Jagex though seems to move sideways.

As for pacing, obviously I agree... how could you not... My opinion is they need to rebalance things across the board, across skills. If RS is going to survive and grow things like smithing tables need to be totally reworked. Full rune needs to be smithable at lvl 50 and Jagex needs to rerelease totally new things. It is ridiculous that it takes 99 smithing to make something incredibly useless (exaggeration, I know it has its uses). Yes, it would be a massive change but I think it needs to happen. Maybe somebody who agrees can talk more about that. I know I said I agree that you can't move backwards but I think Jagex does need to look back and realize that 8 years ago when a r2h was the best item in the game it was ok for the pacing to be how it was and it take 99 smithing to make such a weapon. 8 years later things have changed and the pacing of the game is quite awful IMO. There is too much to do and I feel like new players must be incredibly confused when they join and look at the skills and say what is the point of training smithing when it is going to take me 6 months straight of smithing to make armor I can wear after one day of playing.

Anyway, overall the article is good. It is thought provoking, although the one poster was right, a bit abrasive.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

The impossible balance article really seemed to make some ridiculous claims.

Somehow in this article, it ends up not being the fault of JaGex that their poll looped free trade and wilderness views in together. I mean, The only options were "yes" "no," and "don't care." To me, they should have separated the two ideas altogether. Somehow, you blame the players for the lack of insight on the part of the creator of the poll. Personally, I play the game that is made and don't do too much hating on JaGex, because ultimately, I'm either going to play the game or I'm not. Another thing mentioned in this article was the complaints made immediately after free trade and PVP wilderness returned. I think anyone complaining about the removal of the pvp worlds was completely justified. Seriously, I don't understand how JaGex could take away the best part about not having wilderness, and not expect some complaints.

But to the main point of your article, People are complaining way too much, and the game isn't going to be based around too much player-input as long as the fansites and official forums are filled with posts bashing JaGex for all the bots.

Steviej, in my article I am not - as previously stated on this thread - passing any particular judgements on whether or not free trade & PVP wildy were good or bad or whatever. Feedback in this respect does not really relate to the article as I see it. These "ridiculous claims" are, I think, largely existent only in your head.

I understand that there isn't a magic button that can be pressed but to call people morons for believing after 2 years (or however long) Jagex might actually invest some time into fighting bots? That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

I see nothing ridiculous in pointing out that time is irrelevent to the matter. It doesn't matter how long Jagex spend finding a solution to bots, they're never going to find one that's anything more than temporary. This is what people needed to realise at the time, but all realise now, eight months too late.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

That's a very pessimistic opinion. They can make account creation more difficult. They can perma ban at the first sign of botting, no matter what. They can refuse member payment from credit cards of people caught botting. They can do the tutorial worlds like I said to better monitor the influx of new accounts instead of just having them mix in immediately with everyone else. They can make reporting botting accounts easier. They can make it so if you're reported X amount of times within Y time limit you have to perform some stupid mundane task that bots wouldn't be able to do. Also I'm not sure how these things are temporary. If you start permanently banning people, they are going to be scared. People aren't going to buy gold anymore or bot their way up. Jagex could additionally require longer membership payments so if you are caught botting you lose more than 5 dollars a month or whatever they charge now.

You talk about the balance between doing what is good for the game and what is popular. Jagex can do plenty of things without removing the wilderness and such to slow the influx of bots and the simple fact is they choose not to.

I just made an account. It took 15 seconds. They require an e-mail address but don't even require you took activate your account with a code? Simple stuff like this might seem like a waste of time but how do you know its not going to help if you don't even try.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

My opinion is they need to rebalance things across the board, across skills.

I totally agree with this. You mentioned smithing. But I think allot of features and skills are superfluous nowadays. For example: almost all the bows, axes and pickaxes are totally useless.

Guest jrhairychest

Spot-on article by Crocefisso. Someone else who actually doesn't believe the conspiracy theory rubbish either :thumbup:. I agree that I have my mutterings about some of the things Jagex do, however, the problem is simple - The game is infested with hordes of crappy players who wouldn't know the meaning of achievement if it slapped them in the face.

It's obviously too much effort these days for many of today's playing population to put some time and effort into the game without resorting to macroing, scamming and constantly complaining about the game being too 'grindy'. Don't get me wrong, Jagex has played its part for allowing the game to become dumbed down to cater for these players.

Perhaps Jagex could solve this issue by making a more child-friendly version of RS just for that batch of players so they get their 99's in 5 mins, Phats are 1gp each and they can kill Jad with one hit :grin:. It'd certainly cater for the whingers on these forums :pray:

Perhaps Jagex could solve this issue by making a more child-friendly version of RS

Nexon beat them to it; it's called MapleStory. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

@ Crocefisso's article:

Yes voters need too indeed blame themselves, but I still blame Jagex also!

They had a duty to protect the game and to refrain from this kind of populist non sense. I have always been a big supporter of Jagex , specially when some of there measures were not always welcomed by the masses at first, because they seemed to have a 'conscience' about the game, maybe in the form of the Gower brothers..

This, my believe in Jagex and in my opinion there 'game conscience' ended with that referendum. With there obviously false statement that they could control bots and other cheaters, with them choosing a fast , short term up over the long term well being of the game.

Free trade and real pk-ing were actually appealing too me, but not the inevitable consequences. So.. i voted NO and I argued the fallacy of there assurances, there referendum and its unavoidable outcome.. and the most heard 'serious' reply was: 'Jagex said so, so it is, mostly from players who had till then refused too believe the same Jagex when it insisted for years that limits on the transfer of wealth were needed because you can not win the battle against bots otherwise.

I now rarely play, after putting in over a years worth of full play days, because Jagex ended the golden age of Runescape, instead of as claimed by many, brought it back..

I firmly wished I was going to be proven wrong.