Dungeoneering Questions

JPMC Mate

Hello TIF. I know we have had many problems regarding me in this forums. I am here to tell you that I am gonna change and not always spam every thread with pointless posts and only post if it is an educated answer. However, this is not why I created this thread. This thread is for dungeoneering questions I have. Without further ado, let's start.

1. I have always wondered what is the threshold for praying on monsters. Meaning, at what level for each type of monster should I use a protection prayer and offensive prayer? By type, I mean shades, warriors, rangers, magers, zombies, skeletons, bats, rats, demons, pickaxes, brutes, etc.

2. This isn't directly related to Dungeoneering, but it relates to it somewhat. Is 1.2M enough $ to go from 52 RC to 70 RC, or do I need more $?

3. When using an SSH, do I take off hood every time I enter a hood-dangerous room?

4. What are monster's weaknesses in dungeoneering? Please be as detailed as possible.

This is it for now. I reiterate the point I made in the introduction: If I have annoyed you all in any way, which I have, I am sorry. Thanks!

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

I turmoil everything and tend to pray against whatever does the most damage, use wrath/soul split or pray mage (as it stops you being entangled). What seems to work well is to pray against something if it will do damage to you, and don't if it won't. There's no point praying against a level 3 bat, but if you don't have any armour binds, 128 ranged zombies can do a lot of unneccesary damage if you don't pray.

Runecrafting can easily make profit, it's up to you how you train and whether your chosen method will or not.

The entire point of a SSH is to protect you in hood-safe rooms (to prevent you from having to use prayer/food) and to make it easier to clear rooms without being piled. Personally, I used to take of my SSH whenever I wouldn't take any damage, e.g. praying against a melee target with no non-melee targets on you, as it gives -2 to all melee attacks. However, if you're ranging or maging it gives +6 to those, so you shouldn't take it off.

Varies greatly between monsters, try it out for yourself or ask people during dungeons. As a rule, skeletons tend to be weak to crush, zombies to slash, warriors in platebodies/legs crush and warriors in chainbodies/skirts stab (or slash > crush with a 2h). It's also worth noting that a 2h has considerably more slash attack than crush attack, so just because something is slightly weaker to crush, it doesn't always make it the best option.

10xy5fk.png

1. I pray on mages/shades that are 90+

2. If you ZMI it, you shouldn't loose much. not sure as to how much though, havent zmi'd in awhile.

3. Why would you take it off?

4. Iirc, DGS has something on this somewhere.

Hi if you're reading this you are amazing and I love you.

Maybe they'll release a bugless update for April Fools. That'd sure be a joke

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]

[hide][hide][hide][hide]Congrats, you reached the end!

Now go outside![/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

I turmoil everything and tend to pray against whatever does the most damage, use wrath/soul split or pray mage (as it stops you being entangled). What seems to work well is to pray against something if it will do damage to you, and don't if it won't. There's no point praying against a level 3 bat, but if you don't have any armour binds, 128 ranged zombies can do a lot of unneccesary damage if you don't pray.

Runecrafting can easily make profit, it's up to you how you train and whether your chosen method will or not.

The entire point of a SSH is to protect you in hood-safe rooms (to prevent you from having to use prayer/food) and to make it easier to clear rooms without being piled. Personally, I used to take of my SSH whenever I wouldn't take any damage, e.g. praying against a melee target with no non-melee targets on you, as it gives -2 to all melee attacks. However, if you're ranging or maging it gives +6 to those, so you shouldn't take it off.

Varies greatly between monsters, try it out for yourself or ask people during dungeons. As a rule, skeletons tend to be weak to crush, zombies to slash, warriors in platebodies/legs crush and warriors in chainbodies/skirts stab (or slash > crush with a 2h). It's also worth noting that a 2h has considerably more slash attack than crush attack, so just because something is slightly weaker to crush, it doesn't always make it the best option.

For #3, I meant to say hood-dangerous. Say if there is a mage or necro in the room. Should I take the hood off or keep it on? What situation warrants each? Thanks.

4. Iirc, DGS has something on this somewhere.

I looked but couldn't find it.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

It situational when its worth it to unhood.

Just level runecrafting with tears/lamps/troll invasion/peng points. ZMI should bring slight profit or break even however so feel free to do it in between those if you're in a rush.

For prayer you should be flashing piety (turmoil/soul split) every hit. Default pray mage if there's a mage and switch to whatever is damaging you the most as necessary.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

I heard that at 1-70 rc, ZMI doesn't profit. Is this wrong?

As for prayer flashing, when is the right time to click the prayer? Explain in simple terms (meaning no game tick talk :P).

azeem1992.png

Use RS Wikia for monster weaknesses (although some might be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt.) Pray on anything that you can afford to spend pray praying against. I've never really practiced the rehooding trick, so it's certainly not necessary for survival, but I'm sure it could save you from a lot of damage in some situations. Overall, though, you should be more concerned with getting the basics down than flashing your hood on and off.

Our_Moon.png

The prayer icon should light up right as you start swinging your sword. If you're flashing a protection prayer, the prayer should turn off right as the enemy starts its attack animation. If you're doing it correctly, you should not lose any prayer, and the prayer will deactivate right after the icon lights up.

You can ask all the questions in the world about something, but you'll only get the hang of it by actually playing. If you'd actually dungeoneer, you'd get the hang of it. The people answering your questions most likely got their answer through personal experience, so you can see how effective actually playing the game is.

bigbird.jpg

just before your about to hit.

Take off hood whenever you wouldnt loose time doing it.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Thank you everyone who has helped. I use Prayer Flashing in the way you described Ducata; also, I have been practicing dungeoneering a lot using these strategies.

I believe I need someone who is knowledgeable in dungeoneering to observe me.

@ Aeli, is there a certain time before you hit that you should immediately click the prayer twice (which activates then deactivates it) so that you don't lose a lot of P Points?

azeem1992.png

I heard that at 1-70 rc, ZMI doesn't profit. Is this wrong?

As for prayer flashing, when is the right time to click the prayer? Explain in simple terms (meaning no game tick talk :P).

You'll loose money, but it won't be much at all. I'd be surprised if it's more than few gp/exp, even at the lowest levels.

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

So definitely do-able with 1m cash?

EDIT: Just to reiterate:

Thank you everyone who has helped. I use Prayer Flashing in the way you described Ducata; also, I have been practicing dungeoneering a lot using these strategies.

I believe I need someone who is knowledgeable in dungeoneering to observe me.

@ Aeli, is there a certain time before you hit that you should immediately click the prayer twice (which activates then deactivates it) so that you don't lose a lot of P Points?

azeem1992.png

For prayer flashing you want to have the prayer up only during the beginning of your attack animation. Its useful to have soul split for this on quick prayer with turmoil to get the hang of it because you'll know if you got it right by the healing effect and not losing prayer points. The timing is something you just need to practice to get the hang of it, because its going to be a different rythm for the given speed of whatever weapon you use.

Again reading this isn't going to help, go try it.

Bladewing.png

For prayer flashing you want to have the prayer up only during the beginning of your attack animation. Its useful to have soul split for this on quick prayer with turmoil to get the hang of it because you'll know if you got it right by the healing effect and not losing prayer points. The timing is something you just need to practice to get the hang of it, because its going to be a different rythm for the given speed of whatever weapon you use.

I have been trying this, but I cannot figure out of I'm doing anything DGS has taught me right.

azeem1992.png

I have been trying this, but I cannot figure out of I'm doing anything DGS has taught me right.

What are your floors times like?

You don't need observation, you need practice. Honestly, if you were in one of my floors, if I were observing you much, you'd be doing something very wrong. You should be clearing rooms, running paths, etc., not waiting around for someone to tell you your prayer-flashing is one tick off.

Our_Moon.png

What are your floors times like?

You don't need observation, you need practice. Honestly, if you were in one of my floors, if I were observing you much, you'd be doing something very wrong. You should be clearing rooms, running paths, etc., not waiting around for someone to tell you your prayer-flashing is one tick off.

I haven't been able to do larges cuz I was grounded, but my Meds are usually 15-20 min. My best med was today, and it was 13 min long.

azeem1992.png

Terribly unclear prayer flashing advice in this thread.

First of all, ticks aren't difficult to get your head around. So do that.

Prayers are applied the tick before exp from an attack comes in. If your prayer only switches on as your sword starts swinging, you're too late. Additionally, if your prayer drains even by one point while you're flashing, you've kept it on for too long (prayers only start draining after the first tick of activation). Protection prayers must also be on during the tick before an enemy's attack animation starts playing. Same logic. If you want to know if you're doing it right, use smite on a friend in the duel arena and ask them if their prayer is draining.

Terribly unclear prayer flashing advice in this thread.

First of all, ticks aren't difficult to get your head around. So do that.

Prayers are applied the tick before exp from an attack comes in. If your prayer only switches on as your sword starts swinging, you're too late. Additionally, if your prayer drains even by one point while you're flashing, you've kept it on for too long (prayers only start draining after the first tick of activation). Protection prayers must also be on during the tick before an enemy's attack animation starts playing. Same logic. If you want to know if you're doing it right, use smite on a friend in the duel arena and ask them if their prayer is draining.

Congratulations, you managed to bash the advice of everyone here and then provide the exactly same information worded ever so slightly different.

Bladewing.png

Congratulations, you managed to bash the advice of everyone here and then provide the exactly same information worded ever so slightly different.

The prayer icon should light up right as you start swinging your sword.

For prayer flashing you want to have the prayer up only during the beginning of your attack animation.

If your prayer only switches on as your sword starts swinging, you're too late.

????????????????????????

Thank you guys for helping despite my raw attitude. I appreciate it.

azeem1992.png

This means the prayer should be up for the beginning of the attack animation...

For prayer flashing you want to have the prayer up only during the beginning of your attack animation.

This also means you should have the prayer up by the time you start the attack animation...

Finally, this means that prayer should be up by the time you start the animation.

Bladewing.png

Help & Advice posting guidelines

- Do not flame other peoples' suggestions. You are welcome to calmly/politely expand on their ideas or counter advice if it is incorrect, but always do so constructively. Rude comments like, "This advice sucks - don't follow it," are not permitted. If advice is bad or incorrect, use facts and figures to politely disprove it.

- If you are going to challenge someone else's advice directly, please use evidence to avoid flaming and drawn-out disagreements.

You are free to disagree with other advice, but please do not do so in a rude manner, using insults or in a non-constructive manner.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I was told that I should provide evidence for my arguments so here is a tedious dissection of your post.

This means the prayer should be up for the beginning of the attack animation...

verb (used with object)

to set burning, as a candle, lamp, fire, match, or cigarette; kindle; ignite.

to turn or switch on (an electric light): One flick of the master switch lights all the lamps in the room.

to give light to; furnish with light or illumination: The room is lighted by two large chandeliers.

As the word "light" in this context is a verb, it refers to the prayer being in the act of lighting up when the animation commences, as evidenced by "right as you start swinging your sword". Executed as stated, the prayer flash would fail.

This also means you should have the prayer up by the time you start the attack animation...

"Only during the beginning" indicates that prayer should overlap with the beginning of the attack animation. Since everything in RS happens in discrete ticks, this is either incorrect information or low-quality information depending on what you meant. If you were advising the OP to prayer flash correctly, activating the prayer for only *one* tick so that prayer points do not drain, the flash would fail due to there being no way of circumventing the game's tick system, thus making it impossible for the prayer to be up at the start of the animation as opposed to the tick before the animation. If you meant that the prayer should be up both during the tick before the animation and the tick in which the start of tha animation happens, then the flash would work but prayer points would start draining. The latter is inefficient.

Finally, this means that prayer should be up by the time you start the animation.

In this case, you're not being specific enough. My post, in its entirety, explained that prayer should be up only during the tick before the attack animation (the beginning of which is signified by exp appearing on the counter on an accurate hit). At the beginning of, during the animation and after the animation (until the next tick before an attack), prayer should be off. You are right, though. Prayer should be up before the animation, which is not what the first poster explained and is *possibly* what you explained.

OMG. too much words.

Are we really going to argue about technicalities and wording of specific sentences?

Anyways, somebody in DGS taught me this (I don't really remember exactly who though)

To practice your flashing - head down to LRC and then turn on your exp bar.

If you click and the icon lights up before exp is awarded for the hit then you got it, if not - then you don't.

It's different for everybody (based on weapon atk speed, computer, internet, etc)

It's more important then you get the prayer on then you doing it and wasting 0 prayer points.

Anyhow, I digress. Like somebody said earlier - prayer is not the hugest deal in dungeon (especially prayer waste/flashing/etc)

There's nothing to really understand about dging - it's something that comes with experience.

If you can't do larges - then you're not going to learn. W117 is pretty popular - and some people are pretty decent.

If you find ones that are good and aren't total douchebags and waste time hiding from gds/bosses/etc, then ask if you can add them so you can do floors with them in the future.

Honestly, you used to post all day about "OMG, MY MIDS ARE TOO LONG" and now you've gotten them down to ~15 minutes.

How'd you do it? Surely not by reading about dging and magically getting there - you try stuff out and get better at it.

Obviously you should know what styles to use (because "testing it out" without any actual data won't be that helpful)

For the most part - you should know when to use slash/crush.

For those monsters that you're not 100% on, you should ask that.

Anyhow for the most part of dging - the monsters are mages/rangers (slash), zombies (slash), skeles (crush), spiders (slash), hellhounds (crush), hill giants (slash), fire giants (mage), warriors (plate - mage/plateless-slash)

capt%20kevin.png