Is this game even playable anymore?

PumpkinPete112

Yes, Rs is still playable - even though I am 100% f2p.

I do still find joy for playing it even with the bots. The bots don't actually disturb me too much nowadays, I guess you get used to things. For example, I learned to copy with mining bots; I understood the rhytm I should use when moving from ore to another, making the bot confused and unable to do anything or just mining the already mined ore. So I survive to bots by beating them :mrgreen: .

But lets put the bots aside, and consider on what makes the game even more enjoyable: the company, your friends list or your clan. I don't mean your friends are 100% of the game, but they can help you to find the game funnier and perhaps give you a smile every now and then.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a lv1500+ world bots aren't directly present, and their presence within the greater context of the game only lowers the cost of supplies, so Runescape is still very playable.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

On a lv1500+ world bots aren't directly present, and their presence within the greater context of the game only lowers the cost of supplies, so Runescape is still very playable.

I've played on the +1500 world and I still see as many bots. It's just that they're mostly using methods that don't effect others directly.

The problems caused by bots are overstated. I mean, sure, certain aspects of the game are frustrating because of bots, and profits for moneymakers are in the pits. Some places, such as Frost Dragons or Black Demons, aren't even worth going to anymore, but most of the game is unaffected by botters. Don't get me wrong, bots are becoming a huge problem [again], but it's not like it makes the game unplayable in any respects.

The real tragedy is how commonplace and accepted it's become, even if people rail against it. I've seen posters on this very forum rant about botting and then be caught botting themselves(which I find laughable). Jagex hands out slaps on the wrists and doesn't understand/care(take your pick which) that the problem is only going to worsen. A friend of mine created a new account, got membership and ran a bot program for a week and half until he was 99 Woodcutting, he never got banned and did this just to show how poor Jagex's detection system really is.

There detection system isn't poor, it just doesn't exist. Bots are only banned through reports, so unless someone takes the time to report a 'bot' (could just be a player with public off...) they wont ever be caught. And even then, I can only imagine that they look at how long an account has been signed in. Such as, if someone is reported and jagex looks up the account and sees its been on for 24+ hours they know its a bot. If this is how they do things, then someone could just bot 'safely'. Bot for 3-4 hours and take a 1-2 hrs break then another 3-4 hours botting...

The only reason I can see why they don't have a detection system is they don't want to spend the resources/money on checking EVERY account online to see how long they've been playing, if their clicks and actions run in a pattern, if they never speak, etc etc. Instead they rely on the broken report system, which people rarely use. Does anyone honestly bother reporting bots? They'll just have another bot to replace it in 1-2 weeks...

In my eyes, there is little difference between a poor system and a non-existent system. Jagex can't simply check how long someone is logged in, during days that I have no real world commitments, I will often play as much as 15 hours without many breaks(I believe it auto-logs you after six hours), and if I'm training a skill I enjoy or want to go at maximum speed, it may look as though I'm botting by these sorts of parameters. Of course I'd never consider botting, but it would scare me if Jagex started applying these sorts of "checks" to players, and I think we'd see many people who decide to "no-life" for 36, 24 or maybe as low as 12 hours, only to be tagged as a bot by this detection method.

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

Someone who plays 24+ hours straight or has a record of consistently playing 15+ hours per day probably needs to stop playing RS anyway. There is always a limit where you've played too much RS and seriously need to reconsider your life.

No.

Bots got so out of control that I even had to delay my slayer goal because of them. Literally 9/10 tasks are always crammed with bots. Even at banshees and cave crawlers. Ridiculous! I'm planning on to cease my membership until Jagex decides to fight those bots ofc. :)

Now the only reason I play is to mess around with my stuff and maybe make a couple bucks lending items. Hosting random giveaways are always fun to me.

Someone who plays 24+ hours straight or has a record of consistently playing 15+ hours per day probably needs to stop playing RS anyway. There is always a limit where you've played too much RS and seriously need to reconsider your life.

It's their life. Let them mess around with their time, getting nothing done, and (probably) screw up their life so bad, they'll end up in between a rock and nowhere to go.

It's possible for somebody to play 24, 46 or even 72 hours straight without sleep. But nobody can

consistently play 24 hours a day, everyday, for months. Although I don't see how banning these accounts

would do anything as the botters will take notice of it and start botting 16 hours a day instead of 24.

2480+ total

It's possible for somebody to play 24, 46 or even 72 hours straight without sleep. But nobody can

consistently play 24 hours a day, everyday, for months. Although I don't see how banning these accounts

would do anything as the botters will take notice of it and start botting 16 hours a day instead of 24.

Each bot at 16 hours = 8 hours less production = 1/3rd cut in productivity. Every cut in productivity knocks the smaller gold sellers out of the market who aren't profiting enough until all you have left is the big guys, who are easier to track.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

No.

Bots got so out of control that I even had to delay my slayer goal because of them. Literally 9/10 tasks are always crammed with bots. Even at banshees and cave crawlers. Ridiculous! I'm planning on to cease my membership until Jagex decides to fight those bots ofc. :)

Now the only reason I play is to mess around with my stuff and maybe make a couple bucks lending items. Hosting random giveaways are always fun to me.

It's their life. Let them mess around with their time, getting nothing done, and (probably) screw up their life so bad, they'll end up in between a rock and nowhere to go.

Doesn't mean it was a bad thing that they got banned from runescape lol.

No.

Doesn't mean it was a bad thing that they got banned from runescape lol.

Lets consider for a minute that the person who plays that often was terminally ill with cancer or advanced HIV and they didnt want to do anything but play runescape (honestly hold off your "they should travel the world" etc. for a second its their life and their dying wish) so they play 15+ hours a day, would it necessarily be bad that they do so?

Honestly its pretty childish to judge on time played alone. If they are a single parent who plays 15+ hours a day instead of watching their 2 year old I might agree there is a problem. However everything you use to judge someone should be taken into account on an individual basis not some arbitrary all inclusive answer.

I guarantee you that leveling up their runescape account is the last thing someone diagnosed with HIV cares about, and it's even more wrong to spend the remainder one's precious and scarce life on something as ridiculous as Runescape. It's not always right to judge someone's preferences and how they manage their time, but it's probably even worse for someone to care about Runescape enough to where their only dying wish would be to play Runescape.

The statement that playing 15+ hours has negative effects on the mind and body is a fact, not an opinion. I normally avoid making all inclusive statements, but there isn't any situation where playing 15+ hours of runescape in one day would benefit someone in any sort of way, or have any positive impact on someone.

Also, knowing there is only 24 hours in a day and knowing a reasonable time range spent on obligations someone has to have IRL, it isn't exactly arbitrary to say 15+ hours is horribly excessive.

No.

Well. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm in college and often have nothing of interest to do, so I find myself playing Runescape or reading most of the time, unless there happens to be a party or something of that nature. When your only commitment is going to class for under three hours a day, four days a week plus, putting aside some time to study, you will find you have an extreme amount of free time. On a typical Friday or Saturday for instance, nothing interesting happens until around 6:00 or 7:00 at night. I usually wake up around 7:00-8:00 am, so I've got 12 hours with minimal "tasks". If I choose to limit my social interactions(which I normally don't), I could play, while still getting 8 hours of sleep and all my schoolwork completed, upwards of 70 hours a week(if your wondering, that's 151 days of gameplay per year, plus extra hours from school holidays). Obviously, I don't play anywhere near this much, except occasionally, but if I wanted to gain max total as soon as possible, I easily could.

Each bot at 16 hours = 8 hours less production = 1/3rd cut in productivity. Every cut in productivity knocks the smaller gold sellers out of the market who aren't profiting enough until all you have left is the big guys, who are easier to track.

Obviously the could just make more accounts. (obviously paying for membership would get pricey, but they could just stay f2p).

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

I'm sort of in the same position as the OP. I haven't been active since May'09 and there's a lot of things I've read in this thread that weren't even out when I was playing

I really enjoyed playing the game before, especially minigames, questing & PvP. I would go on once in a while, and already I can tell the game feels different. Hitting 10x what I did before, clans, and how less social the game is makes it feel like a whole different game.

I want to play again, but this thread and many others I've read are really discouraging me. Is it worth it to come back? I'm pretty sure all my friends quit too.. :(

Ojt.png

Hacked and quit as of May 2009.

Moved on to MapleStory, but that's infested with hackers now..

Want to come back to RS, but now I hear it's infested with botters..

I'm sort of in the same position as the OP. I haven't been active since May'09 and there's a lot of things I've read in this thread that weren't even out when I was playing

I really enjoyed playing the game before, especially minigames, questing & PvP. I would go on once in a while, and already I can tell the game feels different. Hitting 10x what I did before, clans, and how less social the game is makes it feel like a whole different game.

I want to play again, but this thread and many others I've read are really discouraging me. Is it worth it to come back? I'm pretty sure all my friends quit too.. :(

This is a bad bad time to come back :( A year and half ago would have been great. Heck, 7 months ago before they re-intro'ed free real world trading would have been tolerable. But now... just :cry:

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

No, it's completely impossible to play this game.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

No, it's completely impossible to play this game.

What specifically is impossible?

Maybe he's ip banned.

I find this game quite fun.

Sometimes you need to look at it from a different perspective. It's not hard to ignore the bots if you don't go to the places bots go to.

Moved to Help & advice, since the user is asking for advice on whether or not to return to the game.

A reminder: please remember that all bot discussions, including their impact on today's gaming experience, belong in this thread. If you don't have an answer that pertains to the Topic Creator but still want to discuss it, that's where you would want to go ;)

I apologize for the delay in moving this thread to it's proper place and if you want your post moved into the main botting topic, please let me know via PM.

hzvjpwS.gif

This is a great time to buy resources and farm high level herbs.

Yeah bots crowd areas, but there are many options. Just for example bots crowd the mining guild and hog the mith/addy/ and jump from coal rock to coal rock. Just go to the seers village coal trucks and have many coal rocks to your self and buy the addy/mith problem solved.

You can buy all materials for yew longs bows and alch and make profit, you never could do that before.

Bots are good and bad, but if you want super duper low prices you got to deal with the bots.

I personally dont mind the bots as it makes flipping items much easier, getting items i want easier, and well leveling skills which require the botted resources easier.

F2p is swarmed with bots, yew trees are a mess, willow trees @ Draynor impossible to gain lvls, Hill giants....I'll let u see 4 your self, the chickens north of Lumbridge horrifying, the cows and Goblins in Lumbridge are nauseating, Lumbridge catacombs infested, oh and The Great Orb Project.... nearly had a heart attack first time....they're all the big botting places, besides that most of f2p runescape is bot free....

f9de1fd6d5.png

archsupportei2.png

F2p is swarmed with bots, yew trees are a mess, willow trees @ Draynor impossible to gain lvls, Hill giants....I'll let u see 4 your self, the chickens north of Lumbridge horrifying, the cows and Goblins in Lumbridge are nauseating, Lumbridge catacombs infested, oh and The Great Orb Project.... nearly had a heart attack first time....they're all the big botting places, besides that most of f2p runescape is bot free....

I don't like it, but even if Jagex takes severe steps against botting, f2p will still be riddled with them(unless they get rid of that [bleep]ing task system that replaced tutorial island. It basically says to botters "hey, welcome to Runescape. Enjoy!").

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

I'm a true noob, so take my comments with a chunk of salt. I think the answer to this thread's question is dependent on what a person wants to do in the game. Many of the long-term players are going after 99s and/or higher, and are very efficient players, and they're seeing significant issues caused by the bots as mentioned throughout the thread. As a new player, I notice the bots in certain areas (chopping trees, killing hill giants in the Edgeville Dungeon), but they really don't affect my gameplay. If you're into the roleplaying aspects of the game, or are less concerned with efficiency and power-leveling, then they probably wouldn't affect your experience at all. There are a lot of ways other than quick leveling that someone can play; I was recently reading a thread started by do-it-yourselfers who are starting characters who will not use the Grand Exchange or trade. That's just one way that someone could change their gaming experience.

I know that I'm speaking from a completely different perspective from 99% of the posters here, because I started playing just recently. There's no way I'll ever be able to compete level-wise; I'm years behind and don't have a ton of free time to spend on the game. It's a fun diversion for me, particularly because both of my sons are members and I enjoy spending time with them on the game instead of doing something in the other room while they're on the computer. I used to be more of a "no-lifer" on the computer back in my college days, but I'm just not going to be spending 10 hours straight or 40 hours in a week playing a single game. If that's the way that you want to play RS, then you probably should pay attention to what the others are writing - bots are definitely having an influence on the game's playability and enjoyability for the power-levelers. For the casual gamer, though (and there really are a number of us out there)? I like the game because there are just so many different things to do, and nothing to download, and I can play AFK-ish at times, and I have friends with whom I can play. The bots don't affect the game for me, and I'm enjoying myself.

Time to get my skills up to level 30 so those dashes in my signature go away.

I'm a true noob, so take my comments with a chunk of salt. I think the answer to this thread's question is dependent on what a person wants to do in the game. Many of the long-term players are going after 99s and/or higher, and are very efficient players, and they're seeing significant issues caused by the bots as mentioned throughout the thread. As a new player, I notice the bots in certain areas (chopping trees, killing hill giants in the Edgeville Dungeon), but they really don't affect my gameplay. If you're into the roleplaying aspects of the game, or are less concerned with efficiency and power-leveling, then they probably wouldn't affect your experience at all. There are a lot of ways other than quick leveling that someone can play; I was recently reading a thread started by do-it-yourselfers who are starting characters who will not use the Grand Exchange or trade. That's just one way that someone could change their gaming experience.

I know that I'm speaking from a completely different perspective from 99% of the posters here, because I started playing just recently. There's no way I'll ever be able to compete level-wise; I'm years behind and don't have a ton of free time to spend on the game. It's a fun diversion for me, particularly because both of my sons are members and I enjoy spending time with them on the game instead of doing something in the other room while they're on the computer. I used to be more of a "no-lifer" on the computer back in my college days, but I'm just not going to be spending 10 hours straight or 40 hours in a week playing a single game. If that's the way that you want to play RS, then you probably should pay attention to what the others are writing - bots are definitely having an influence on the game's playability and enjoyability for the power-levelers. For the casual gamer, though (and there really are a number of us out there)? I like the game because there are just so many different things to do, and nothing to download, and I can play AFK-ish at times, and I have friends with whom I can play. The bots don't affect the game for me, and I'm enjoying myself.

Time to get my skills up to level 30 so those dashes in my signature go away.

If I could rate posts this would get like a 1 billion, mostly cause it was what I was going to write. ;) I would only add that I have some friends in-game that Ive made who are quite high leveled and still seem to enjoy the game.

Honestly, bots are a fact of life in any MMO these days. You might as well get used to it and learn to work around them.

Also, this has sort of been mentioned but I want to reemphasize: if you want to powerlevel skills in the most efficient way possible, bots are actually a very good thing for you! I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out why. ;)