Stop making only video guide

pulli23

Then you make the guides next time.

Flawed logic. People who have the urge to make guides will do so anyway. pulli23's message is that they should actually do so in a way that helps more people, which is through text and images for many, myself included.

Full support for the idea.

Flawed logic. Instead of complaining about someone else's work, which they did not even have to do, how about you go and do it how you want to? Nobody is stopping you from making text guides.

Simply put, that's being called a [bleep].

Gabe;

Rather than making the same point twice, follow your argument through to its logical conclusion. Let's consider a few hypothetical examples:

ME: I don't like that song.

YOU: Make your own song then!

ME: That film was awful.

YOU: How about you make a film then?

You're using the old housewives' cliché of "you can't criticise someone's work unless you try to make one yourself". It's outdated and illogical, not to mention redundant.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Every monster killing guide: bring gear, attack monster, pick up loot, bank

Every skill guide: use this on that, bank, repeat

Give me suggestions on what other guides I should make.

Dungeoneering. All activities. All bosses. Merching/flipping.

It's not that easy bro.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Gabe;

Rather than making the same point twice, follow your argument through to its logical conclusion. Let's consider a few hypothetical examples:

You're using the old housewives' cliché of "you can't criticise someone's work unless you try to make one yourself". It's outdated and illogical, not to mention redundant.

There's a difference between film or music and an RS guide. The former are done for profit or for art or for whatever other reasons people have for doing that. Guides for video games are usually done for the purpose of helping others.

Some people prefer videos, some prefer text. There are enough of both that it shouldn't be hard to find one in either format.

I've still have to find a video guide which I actually found usefull..

As said videos do have their place to extend guides, however how can anyone really learn something from a video alone? You can't watch a video at the same time when you do things, and videos only work for a easy linear sequence of things. If you are beating a monster and you have to use a certain technique for each "part" you want a quick reference for each part. Not a long video where you have to look for 2 minutes to see the part you are beating now.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I find video guides about dungeoneering to be useful, but I don't use video guides much so yeah.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

It's not that easy bro.

A dungeoneering guide is useless

There are no worthwhile activities

Bosses-click attack, pray whatever, drink prayer pots/eat food, wait for spawn

Merching/flipping-buy items, sell for a higher price

It's not that easy bro.

Guides always have their place: they serve as a way to teach people faster than they could experience themself. So they increase the common knowlenge of runescape. But if you think guides are useless: don't read them. However this isn't a rant about the usefulness of guides on itself, this topic talks about how guides should be presented so they cater most people.

I honestly wonder WHY people even make video guides: they seem more difficult to make (lots of video editing needed to get all cases in an easy-to-watch video). And good guides aren't valued for their fancy-ness, they are valued for their content.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Gabe;

There's a difference between film or music and an RS guide. The former are done for profit or for art or for whatever other reasons people have for doing that. Guides for video games are usually done for the purpose of helping others.

Some people prefer videos, some prefer text. There are enough of both that it shouldn't be hard to find one in either format.

Thanks Missingo. Don't know Crocefisso, maybe my logic isn't flawed if others see my point.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

It's not that easy bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Maybe you learned everything about dungeoneering by yourself, but that doesn't mean that everyone else did.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I think people don't like video guides when they're not properly labelled as such. Eg. the title says "Noob guide" instead of "Noob guide ". People click on it expecting a normal guide, and they get a bad surprise.

2480+ total

• 2 weeks later...

everything else in runescape can be written down in 1-2 sentences so that even an idiot can understand it.

That's pretty ignorant.

Quests? DG bosses/Nex/Nomad/Jad? All of those are fairly complex. I understand that certain people will have an easy time figuring out and doing bosses themselves, but you are ignorant if you think that applies to everyone thus rendering guides unnecessary. Browse these forums enough and you will see people needing help with those things. Furthermore, if you look into different skilling methods, you will find that some of the best skilling methods are methods regular players are unlikely to run into and use on their own without any sort of guidance. Firemaking, for example, can be fairly complex to do extremely efficiently.

You're not going to learn how to dungeoneer effectively by reading a guide.

No, but without reading a guide I'd still be using a primal spear and clearing pretty much every room. Reading or watching a guide very rarely teachers something effectively; practice teachers you how to do something effectively. But you use the guide to point you in the right direction when you start practicing.

At any rate, from reading this thread I get the impression that the problem isn't video guides themselves, but the fact that video guides have very high bars in order to not be bad. And many video guides do not pass that bar.

And the above comment, that if the video quality or connection is poor (which is either the users fault or a problem that won't be found in good video guides) or simply trying to find a certain part of it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I agree. I know this is a runescape discussion, but a good example of how problematic this can become is found in Minecraft. Go to a modder's forum thread and you'll see several video guides. Sometimes, the person doesnt' explain theeir mod fully, so you're stuck with viewing a really basic 2 minute video, or an unbearable 10 minute commentary sludge (and you do this like this...oh wait...let me just tab out and check that...okay...yeah, you do this like this...).

I'm not an efficienado.

Support it, that video guides aren't easy, then must you play and pause, and an text is beter for noobs.

Exactly, I can't follow a video guide the info comes to fast & I end up 20 steps behind and then have to rewind and pause all the time. If I was meant to be able to do two things at once I would have developed a more powerful brain wouldn't I!

There's one person's video guides I enjoy, Goingcrazy aka Amber. Her quest guides are excellent, easy to follow and her voice is alright to listen to.

what about guidesforscapers?

and yes i totally agree with op + rep :twss:

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂