Botting in Runescape

Awolo

In before powerbot "delaying" the release date due to "updates" by Jagex.

They are just trying to milk the last few dollars from gullible subscribers while they can. There aren't just technical problems to overcome now, there are legal issues which have had precident set with the lawsuit vs ImpSoft. Powerbot will not return, at least not using the methods used in the past. The botting movement seems to be towards advancing colour bots and clickers. I look forward to seeing what Optimus will do in combatting these.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

There is a working reflection bot at the moment.

Jacmob claims to have a working one, and it must at least have come near, seeing how Jagex hired him for it. Apart from that, I don't know of any working reflection bot? Though, admittedly, I don't constantly check on all of them >.>

Facts about what Jacmob could and could do not are fuzzy and there are a lot of rumors and here-say. The most likely scenarios is that he DID manage to get bots working but they would require too much development and maintenance time to be feasable. Powerbot could have got around this by croudsourcing numbercrunching onto the clients running the software, i'm not a software developer i'm just speculating. But like I said before, the technical limitations are the "easy" bit to get around. The difficulty is in legally releasing code such as this when Jagex were just awarded AT LEAST six-figures settlement from a bot developer. This is not an area I would want to invest any time and especially not money into. Seriously risky investment. I am not aware of any working reflection or injection bots, the only ones I know of are clickers and colour bots which are sometimes mistaken for reflection bots.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

A google search has turned up one bot which claims to be a working injection bot. Some people are claiming it works, others claim it doesn't and is infected with keyloggers. One thing is for certain is that it's based on old code used by Powerbot which means not only is it likely breaking the law by getting around Jagex copyright etc but also breaches the terms of the GPL that powerbot was released on. Technically Powerbot could sue them as well as Jagex lol. Lets hope the guy, if it works, hasn't sunk too much money and time into developing it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Regardless of how effective this anti-Reflection update is, technology will march on. Jagex did a great job by technically crippling them (and coming out victorious in lawsuits), but so long as the system can be exploited, and so long as there is a market for these goods, technical solutions alone will not resolve the problem, nor will lawsuits deter them - it may even get to a point in where lawsuits are too costly for Jagex to maintain.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I hope Jagex realizes the bot nuke was not a solution for all eternity and continues developing technology, etc. to fight the next wave(s) of bots as they claim.

"Were already well underway with our next generation of anti-botting software called Optimus, which is going to be released shortly, and were also currently developing ways to remove the remaining screen-scraper bots from the game. Well also be continuing to fight gold-farmers on every front."

Source

To me, the "and we're also" I've highlighted means that Optimus is geared toward reflection/injection. Which means they're working on killing all kinds of bots.

As for Powerbot's recent claims;

I've been checking in on their site to check on where they were for quite some time now. While it's obvious the claims of 'almost done' were meant to keep people coming back, it is pretty clear by how they word it, that they've been progressing. A short time ago they claimed to have a bot working but still had legal issues. Now they claim to have those legal issues taken care of. So I do trust that they will release a bot soon, which will be IMO a resurgence of level 3 throw-away bots used my the public to fund thier mains.

There is new working injection bot it seems.

I googl'd it after I came across this youtube video.

It seems they stole source from powerbot and now they are ahead of powerbot lol .

And I believe the bot's homepage is under heavy ddos xD

Edited by Ellac
Removed video link, as it is promoting bot use.

RareBot is effectively based on stolen code, i.e It breaches the GPL that Powerbot code was released with. I look forward to the Powerbot vs Rarebot lawsuit.

In a few months time when Optimus is released and RareBot breaks its author will have to write something completely from scratch, I hope they enjoy any money they make from it while it lasts and they don't make the mistake of running the business from their home address and risking their home in a lawsuit settlement like the Snellman bros.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Guest jrhairychest

Jacmob claims to have a working one, and it must at least have come near, seeing how Jagex hired him for it. Apart from that, I don't know of any working reflection bot? Though, admittedly, I don't constantly check on all of them >.>

Completely bogus claims that no-one has ever proven.

Completely bogus claims that no-one has ever proven.

He did get hired by Jagex, that much we know.

Do we have proof?

I have seen pics of a Mod Jacmob in-game, and they were unrelated(aka the poster was not trying to prove that jacmob was hired but talked about something else) so it's unlikely that he would take the time to fake it.

Guest jrhairychest

I have seen pics of a Mod Jacmob in-game, and they were unrelated(aka the poster was not trying to prove that jacmob was hired but talked about something else) so it's unlikely that he would take the time to fake it.

Feel free to show me. I haven't seen anything convincing and your story contradicts a few of the others flying round that claim different things. Of course, all claiming to have talked to the guy himself.

Feel free to show me. I haven't seen anything convincing and your story contradicts a few of the others flying round that claim different things. Of course, all claiming to have talked to the guy himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq6iGqHiS-4&feature=channel_video_title

Not my vid, also contains some offensive language in the comments :ohnoes:

I belive it was a few pages back on the 200m all skills thread? Can't provide links (Kindle), but I'lllook for the post/ page number

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Mod Jacmob was in-game in TzHaar to talk to the first people who got the new lava capes.

I have screenshots too, but the above video in addition to Castle Wars' cape livestream should be enough. :)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

[qfc]181-182-765-63568311[/qfc]

Page 2, you see his post.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Guest jrhairychest

[qfc]181-182-765-63568311[/qfc]

Page 2, you see his post.

Well I do stand corrected in triplicate :razz:. My apologies.

Just strolling through fally I see more goldfarming bots than players, although it could just be the time. I have to wonder why they're not banking at Taverly though. During my short DIY Crafting stint they were also in the Blue Dragon resource dungeon. Is there some way to tell what kind of bot it is by how it's acting? Because the ones I was competing with (I use that term loosely :P ) had horrendous reaction times and sometimes left drops on the ground, but still tried to attack dragons I was already engaged with.

I've also noticed many bot (randomly generated) names on people with decidedly non-bot gear, like random mixes of low level robes or clothing. No idea what's going on there...

2dgucz6.png

I am seeing them in much larger numbers over the past few days and it looks like Jagex is aiding and abetting them again. The other day I was watching the same bots travelling to and from the Sorceress Garden to the Fremmy banker at DG. A couple of days ago someone had put their clan vexillum on top of the DG banker and it was slowing the bots down. The next day you couldnt do that and the bots were banking there with no problems once again.

Theres hundreds of them at the Sorceress Garden. Its gotten terrible in there now.

Meanwhile on Catherby beach theres still the same crowd of bots this week and theyre increasing in numbers daily.

In Falador you can see the bots teleporting to Fally and banking in the Fally West Bank. Then they head back over to Taverley dungeon. All of them wearing the same gear as before. Dragon platelegs, anti-fire shield, granite torso and a whip.

I report as many as I can but to no avail. The same ones are there every day.

slobdf.jpg

Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, evil Zoot!

Oh, she is a naughty person, and she must pay the penalty!

While injection bots are assuredly illegal...

There is nothing illegal about "screen scraping bots" as long as they are not targeted for RuneScape specifically. Or any game for that matter. There's also another form of bot that, although much harder to implement than the screen scrapers, is nearly undetectable and unstoppable. It's also legal.

Basically, a proxy is written that intercepts any graphic calls. Parse the data or push it against a pre-calculated database (the latter of which would be copyright infringement and hence illegal in rudimentary form, but again, there's ways around that one). Determine where the data is. Click there... and continue on in the endless cycle of botting. This type of bot is very dangerous. It's often seen in online games, e.g. FPS, to let people see through walls and so on (and hence is not so much a bot). I hope Jagex can figure something out...

ozXHe7P.png