Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Botting in Runescape

• Please log in to reply
803 replies to this topic

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired

Doesn't really concern me. You can't successfully bot dungeoneering, and even if you could, I play this game to achieve personal goals (and blow off steam/stress from life), not try to reach some prestige.

A Dungeoneering bot does actually exist. The worrying thing right now is that the only thing stopping some people from participating in botting would be either the fear of Trojans, or their ethical stance about it. It's not unlikely that more players become botters if JaGex doesn't clearly show that they're at least *trying* to handle the situation

Tec106
[ Display Name History ]

Tec106

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tec106
  • Clan:lol wat do
I'm firmly on the side that even if botting was allowed, I wouldn't do it. In fact, I just wouldn't play. What's the point if every rundown schmuck with a two dollar bot can come along and get the same things you did?

Not to say we've actually worked hard to point and click. Just makes me wish I started playing later when errthing was easier.

EDIT: Reading that again, I just realized how impossible to understand that was.
Posted Image

Are you a modern man?

The fact that nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
The thing about RuneScape is - even when players don't like playing, they still play. They like the high level content - wearing Torva, using Overloads and Turmoil with maxed melees - they just don't want to essentially dedicate half their life into it in order to get that 'high'.

RuneScape addiction only further worsens the problem.

The thing about goldfarming is - they need someone to sell the gold to. Thus, it's more about making sure a significant amount of people who feel they have to buy their way to success no longer needs to.

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
  • RSN:Stev Peifer

^
The day bots can do Nex as a coordinated team without a hitch is the day that I will bot.

If there are bots that do TDs flawlessly, a Nex bot can just as easily be created... Trust me.

09144a99bb.png

Awolo
[ Display Name History ]

Awolo

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts

Doesn't really concern me. You can't successfully bot dungeoneering, and even if you could, I play this game to achieve personal goals (and blow off steam/stress from life), not try to reach some prestige.

•Flawless room detection and door opening
•All 6 complexities supported
•All 60 floors are fully supported
•All 40 puzzle rooms are solvable
•All 30 boss battles are individually scripted
•Advanced exploration methods - capable of solving any dungeon
•Maximize your experience by opening every explorable room in every dungeon
•Full prayer & curses support for the boss battles and toughest monsters
•Attack style switching – knows the best way to kill each monster
•Armor improving – wields & upgrades armor along every floor
•Skiller support - Achieve a Dungeoneering cape on your level 3
•Food preparation
•Melee, range, magic and backup combat support
•Gatestone & groupstone teleporting
•An incredible interactive paint
•Customizable rush settings – skip through rooms, rush designated floors, etc
•Automatic weapon and armor binding – upgrades your gear with higher tiers of its type
•Fully failsafed to keep the script running for hours
•Prestiges and repeats endlessly
•All updates are free for life!

All from the paid dungeoneering script thread. In one of the threads people asked whats the highest dg level someone had that was 100% botted and there were various people with 110+ dg(one with 118) posting on the first few pages. Dungeoneering CAN be botted.

Stev
[ Display Name History ]

Stev

Cherremy's Slave

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
  • RSN:Stev Peifer

Dungeoneering CAN be botted.

I thought this was common knowledge already. :P.

09144a99bb.png

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte

^
The day bots can do Nex as a coordinated team without a hitch is the day that I will bot.

If there are bots that do TDs flawlessly, a Nex bot can just as easily be created... Trust me.

I brought this idea up less than six months ago -- and the two of you scoffed at it back then. Now Ring says he'll bot and you say it's entirely possible ... <_<

----====----

The three of us have had this discussion so many times now, I have lost count.

For me, the problem with bots always has been, and remains, the inevitability of the "Bot Event Horizon" problem.

For those of you not familiar with Douglas Adams, I shall reiterate said theory for you:

The Bot Event Horizon is an economic theory that draws a correlation between the level of grinding to raise skills and make money within a game ("happiness") and the number of bots the game endures ("depression").

The theory is summarized as such: as the amount of grinding required to increase (happiness) levels increases, the players of the game need to improve their characters (relieve depression) by using bots.

As more bots are used in the game, more complicated bots are made, and the quality of the game-play begins to diminish because, in order to keep up with the better bots, more people have to bot in order to access the high level content (i.e. get more money and achieve better levels and obtain better equipment to by-pass the depressing feeling of being left behind other players who bot) – and the demand for more bots increases. This makes people use more bots.

This turns into a vicious cycle, the end result being that, ultimately the only players in the game are bots – and the Bot Event Horizon is reached.

At this point, the game ceases to function as it stops being "playable" ...

----====----

In the end, Jagex has really only two possible solutions:

1. To actively work at actually stopping the bots themselves – which Jagex has demonstrated, time and again, that they are simply unwilling or unable to do; or

2. To reduce the "grind" of acheiving higher levels – in a manner similar to MapleStory's Big Bang – and make it easier to access high level content within the game.

nyuseg.png

Ned
[ Display Name History ]

Ned

Neddybear

• Website Crew
  • 2,786 posts
  • RSN:Animamundi
  • RSN2:Concord
  • Clan:Loot Hunters
I think Rocked meant botting dungeoneering "successfully" i.e. getting good exp per hour with average time of 20 minutes/floor in a 5-man team.
A bot that does c6 solos/cooks food/makes armor sounds like terrible exp/hr. I'd be interested to know how long those 110+ people have had their bot running. It sounds like if anybody were to check their daily play times, they would far surpass a realistic human number. If that basic evidence hasn't been noticed I am very sad.
Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Naraku893
[ Display Name History ]

Naraku893

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

P.S. there is no such thing as a 100% safe bot.

Seeing as Jagex doesn't ban them yes there is

Awolo
[ Display Name History ]

Awolo

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts

I think Rocked meant botting dungeoneering "successfully" i.e. getting good exp per hour with average time of 20 minutes/floor in a 5-man team.
A bot that does c6 solos/cooks food/makes armor sounds like terrible exp/hr. I'd be interested to know how long those 110+ people have had their bot running. It sounds like if anybody were to check their daily play times, they would far surpass a realistic human number. If that basic evidence hasn't been noticed I am very sad.

They don't make food or armour from what I can tell.

The best proggy I saw xp wise was 513 hours for 31m dg exp. That incldes lower lvls tho.

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

I think the better term you and Rocked are looking for is "efficiency" ...

Bots aren't necessarily efficient and they don't have to be. They simply "do things" -- in particular, those things that one would rather not be doing themselves.

<_<

nyuseg.png

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
I would post xp/h, but I'm not sure where that lies within the rules - it may 'indirectly encourage' some players to bot.

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

I would post xp/h, but I'm not sure where that lies within the rules - it may 'indirectly encourage' some players to bot.

Arguably the "xp/hr" ratio is irrelevant anyways. Sure it's probably not as efficient as other "player-operated" methods – but if someone cared about doing it efficiently, then they wouldn't bot.

nyuseg.png

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
Believe it or not, people actually calculate opportunity cost before making such radical decisions

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Believe it or not, people actually calculate opportunity cost before making such radical decisions

Some do yes, but they're in the minority.

nyuseg.png

Awolo
[ Display Name History ]

Awolo

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts

I think the better term you and Rocked are looking for is "efficiency" ...

Bots aren't necessarily efficient and they don't have to be. They simply "do things" -- in particular, those things that one would rather not be doing themselves.

<_<

Yeah, people bot because they would rather have the work done for them so that they can enjoy end game content(most people think that's the only thing fun about Runescape). They think "Why should I sit here and dungeoneer for 6 hours when I can just bot it for 24 hours and get the same exp. I can hang out with my friends and have fun instead for grinding."

Ned
[ Display Name History ]

Ned

Neddybear

• Website Crew
  • 2,786 posts
  • RSN:Animamundi
  • RSN2:Concord
  • Clan:Loot Hunters
I would also see a large amount of endgame interested players wanting efficient bots so they could bot less and get to that high level point sooner. If they are botting, their account is closed to them for whatever amount of time to train other things. Personally I would want that that time as short as possible. Not_trolling basically beat me to this post.

Just offering that perspective. I'm sure you are correct that many players have that mentality. I'm just sad that people would pay money for, in my opinion, a bad method for training. In the 513 hours that guy spent...he could have had that DG exp in a fraction of the time, having that many left over hours to enjoy the benefits as a legit player.
Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

TightLips
[ Display Name History ]

TightLips

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 79 posts
OP fabricating stats for dramatic effect :thumbup:

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:i_trollz_u

I would also see a large amount of endgame interested players wanting efficient bots so they could bot less and get to that high level point sooner. If they are botting, their account is closed to them for whatever amount of time to train other things. Personally I would want that that time as short as possible. Not_trolling basically beat me to this post.

Just offering that perspective. I'm sure you are correct that many players have that mentality. I'm just sad that people would pay money for, in my opinion, a bad method for training. In the 513 hours that guy spent...he could have had that DG exp in a fraction of the time, having that many left over hours to enjoy the benefits as a legit player.

You wouldn't be enjoying your account when sleeping or at school anyway, so it's efficient to bot during times you can't be efficient.

Awolo
[ Display Name History ]

Awolo

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts

OP fabricating stats for dramatic effect :thumbup:

I didnt fabricate anything :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users