Botting in Runescape

Awolo

I would love to be able to afford a server farm like those, £1,000+/day please.

A money pouch would be cool. So would a remote price checker. But honestly I'm thinking an insta-Jcoins-market. LOW ON PRAYER AND DONT LIKE XP WASTE?! BUY AN ULTRA PRAYER RESTORE POTION INSTANTLY FOR JUST 75 CENTS! STAY AT BANDOS ALL DAY/AS LONG YOU HAVE MONEY!

Imagine how much all those computers would cost though. Even if they were all used and old(in which case a lot of bots couldn't be ran on them) it would still take a while to pay them off. You also have to pay the people making sure bots don't malfunction, check to make sure computers aren't having problems, etc.

Gold is priced at .65 per mill(?) and estimating that green dragon bots can make 400k per hour, then you're making ~$.30 per bot per hour. Looking at the pics they have ATLEAST 100 computers which are all running 8(# from the screens on the first pic) per computer. 800 bots making $.30 per hour is $240 per hour. You have to pay the electricity bills, price of the computers(would take a long time to pay off), and the people who manage the bots. Even though they probably have 300+ computers at this place, I doubt it's good cash compared to what people in the US/UK make on average. I don't know the average wages in China so I could be completely wrong about everything in this post(may be great money in that part of the world).

Have been playing Runescape many many years....since their was a handful of worlds and their have always been bots and always will be bots. Nothing much we can do about it. Their have been a surge in bots over the past few years and the hope that was being held is that it will become unprofitable and they would thin out. But as long as Runescape is a massive online game i dont see that happening.

justin500.png[spoiler=Goals.]justin500.png

justin500.png

justin500.png

[/url]

[spoiler=99's]99 strength achieved 5/27/09.

99 hitpoints achieved 9/30/09.(59,643)

99 attack achieved 11/08/09. (77,453)

99 defence achieved 1/31/10. (63,382)

99 range achieved ( sometime ago )

[spoiler=Drops]

x15 whips

x53 d boots

x3 visages

x88 g mauls

Imagine how much all those computers would cost though. Even if they were all used and old(in which case a lot of bots couldn't be ran on them) it would still take a while to pay them off. You also have to pay the people making sure bots don't malfunction, check to make sure computers aren't having problems, etc.

Gold is priced at .65 per mill(?) and estimating that green dragon bots can make 400k per hour, then you're making ~$.30 per bot per hour. Looking at the pics they have ATLEAST 100 computers which are all running 8(# from the screens on the first pic) per computer. 800 bots making $.30 per hour is $240 per hour. You have to pay the electricity bills, price of the computers(would take a long time to pay off), and the people who manage the bots. Even though they probably have 300+ computers at this place, I doubt it's good cash compared to what people in the US/UK make on average. I don't know the average wages in China so I could be completely wrong about everything in this post(may be great money in that part of the world).

Instead of buying computers, renting lots of vps or dedis could work.

A money pouch would be cool. So would a remote price checker. But honestly I'm thinking an insta-Jcoins-market. LOW ON PRAYER AND DONT LIKE XP WASTE?! BUY AN ULTRA PRAYER RESTORE POTION INSTANTLY FOR JUST 75 CENTS! STAY AT BANDOS ALL DAY/AS LONG YOU HAVE MONEY!

I love calculating so I'll post my two cents too.

Fist: Price of the computers won't cost that much as you are thinking. They can probably buy large quantities directly from manufacturers. So no extra cost for brand name, taxes, import taxes, less shipping, ...

That aside, take a look at the other costs:

People who manage the bots are paid like 10$/day? Let's assume you need 24 to run them 24/7. 240$/day for labour.

Electricity is maybe another 240$/day.

Cost of memberships, assuming they pay the full ammount and don't use stolen credit cards comes to 800 x 6$ = 4800$. Divided by 30 that gives 160$/day.

Cost of maintaining a gold-selling website, some cheap advertisement and rent. 80$/day.

= 720$/day in cost + price of computers.

I'll take your guess of 240$ profit/hour, that gives 5760$ profit/day - 720$ costs = 5040$ profit/day

One week gives 35.280$ and covers your investment of 100 computers. After that one week you're gaining 151.200$/month per 100 computers.

I don't know how much you make, but I don't make that much. :wink:

Once again proving that crime does, in fact, pay. Things like this me want to reconsider my law-abiding lifestyle. :-k

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Once again proving that crime does, in fact, pay. Things like this me want to reconsider my law-abiding lifestyle. :-k

This isn't even against the law (Although I believe China made goldfarming illegal)

Regarding hacking/recovering:

Misuse of Computer act(s).

Regarding gold farming and rwting:

Sale of property that belongs to JaGex Ltd.

Tax evasion.

Regarding botting:

Certain copyright laws.

Tortorous interference laws (I think?)

I love calculating so I'll post my two cents too.

Fist: Price of the computers won't cost that much as you are thinking. They can probably buy large quantities directly from manufacturers. So no extra cost for brand name, taxes, import taxes, less shipping, ...

That aside, take a look at the other costs:

People who manage the bots are paid like 10$/day? Let's assume you need 24 to run them 24/7. 240$/day for labour.

Electricity is maybe another 240$/day.

Cost of memberships, assuming they pay the full ammount and don't use stolen credit cards comes to 800 x 6$ = 4800$. Divided by 30 that gives 160$/day.

Cost of maintaining a gold-selling website, some cheap advertisement and rent. 80$/day.

= 720$/day in cost + price of computers.

I'll take your guess of 240$ profit/hour, that gives 5760$ profit/day - 720$ costs = 5040$ profit/day

One week gives 35.280$ and covers your investment of 100 computers. After that one week you're gaining 151.200$/month per 100 computers.

I don't know how much you make, but I don't make that much. :wink:

0.0 would be really hard to find true amount though because of bans/problems lol, Still amazing

This isn't even against the law (Although I believe China made goldfarming illegal)

If you do that.

Tax evasion.

Still only a breach of contract, and only tax evasion if you don't claim it as additional income.

Regarding botting:

Certain copyright laws.

Only if you write the bots, and even then it's a shaky claim.

On the scale of $600 a day, that is a lot of tax that needs paying, so I'd say it's likely that goldfarmers would tax evade. It would also look like money laundering, which would cause unnecessary hassle too.

On the legality side of rwt and bot scripting; it really depends how well the argument is given - could the ToS be considered as a valid legally binding contract would be the question.

If it is, then it would be breaking the law.

On the scale of $600 a day, that is a lot of tax that needs paying, so I'd say it's likely that goldfarmers would tax evade. It would also look like money laundering, which would cause unnecessary hassle too.

On the legality side of rwt and bot scripting; it really depends how well the argument is given - could the ToS be considered as a valid legally binding contract would be the question.

If it is, then it would be breaking the law.

I don't even remember agreeing to any ToS when I made my account. They may have introduced one now though for all I know.

Tax evasion.

Regarding botting:

Certain copyright laws.

Hacking/recovering IS against the law.

Real World trading is not and obviously not reporting the income you get and pay taxes on it is against the law :P but that isnt inherrently part of RWTing only idiots who choose not to report their income. Terms of Service rules have virtually no effect in courts.

Botting does not break any laws. Cheating in a game isnt illegal. Even the kids who server crashed didnt break any real world laws as they did it entirely through flaws in the game (rather then outside programs).

Not to mention they can just as easily say, "We didn't sell the gold. We sold them our time and resources to collect it."

/case.

09144a99bb.png

And when it comes to ToS, I never actually played the game. I just wrote the bots for it.

Apparently the guy who wrote the dungeoneering bot has sold over 23k licenses at about $11 a pop. He gets roughly 60% of that. Not bad.

w4M8t.png

If Jagex can't stop the bots or even do something about them, then players have little chance of doing anything ourselves

I have read some methods of 'killing' bots on the official forums, some of them work, but some are just mere delay tactics. Some of the bots are updated to avoid being 'killed' by such methods

Also, I dread slayer tasks that are bot filled (Tzhaar and Black demons for example). Bots commonly leave the mobs at half health or less and run to the other side while I must content killing them getting no drops

Wouldn't basing the HQ of your operations in a tax haven solve this?

The cost of your beach house on the Bahamas is deductable from the small tax you do have to pay then. Win-win! :thumbsup:

I have IRL friend who have botted multiple 99s without getting banned/rolledback/hacked. Even one guy who makes a few hundred bucks a month by botting maxed turm zerkers and selling them. That only happens if you bot for 24h or bot all night play all day.

Bot are very complex and antiban is brilliant, I've seen my friend run an agility bot and it is impossible to tell the difference between it an a real player, it makes little mistakes randomly, moves the pointer to check exp and different skills, opens different tabs, goes afk for short breaks, moves the pointer offscreen, clicks the obstacles in random parts, alternates between spamclicking and precision clicking. Much more realistic then a player like Jebrim that does perfect courses for 15 hours straight. People sink a lot of time into developing these and the community is massive, no wonder the products are so good at what they do.

Like Obt said, not worth the risk though of maybe leaving it on for 48hours and getting caught.

Once people get it into their heads that bots are inevitable and need to be accepted, maybe these threads will stop popping up.

Actually Agility bots are extremely easy to detect once you know what to look for. I've only stared at their running patterns around the course for the past year...

fd5716c8af.png

200000000.png

Agilitizing my way to 1,000,000,000xp!
Follow my progress on my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/The1Jebrim

Why is this discussion about "bots" - the symtom.. Not the problem itself:

The problem is that in rs you only count after you spend (potentially) hundreds of hours into the game. This can't be expected from the average gamer, and should be handled:

-Either they should just remvove all those things such as "pernix" and "torva", or at least make it not better in stats than armour which can be gained within a few hours. OR they should allow everyone to be able to get those items within a limited time (say 100 hours) - of general gaming (not highly efficient, just general gaming doing what seems best).

It's simply not more than to be expected that people will start buying gold if a game requires more than a "sweetspot" of time to get together with the top.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

The problem is that in rs you only count after you spend (potentially) hundreds of hours into the game. This can't be expected from the average gamer, and should be handled:

-Either they should just remvove all those things such as "pernix" and "torva", or at least make it not better in stats than armour which can be gained within a few hours. OR they should allow everyone to be able to get those items within a limited time (say 100 hours) - of general gaming (not highly efficient, just general gaming doing what seems best).

It's simply not more than to be expected that people will start buying gold if a game requires more than a "sweetspot" of time to get together with the top.

I think you're not being sarcastic with your post.

So instead of taking care of the bot problem you want to create some kind of Easyscape?

Thus deleting all rares in the progress too? :huh:

I mostly agree with your posts and I can understand if you want less grind in RS, but what you're saying now would destroy the game imo.

So instead of taking care of the bot problem you want to create some kind of Easyscape?

I mostly agree with your posts and I can understand if you want less grind in RS, but what you're saying now would destroy the game imo.

No I think you misunderstood me: runescape shouldn't be like "grind skills to highest level, then you can start having fun / getting things". It should be "you level skills by getting things and having fun".

See my signature, I don't like bots. However I DO see that they are simply an inevitable curse of how the game is build now.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

No I think you misunderstood me: runescape shouldn't be like "grind skills to highest level, then you can start having fun / getting things". It should be "you level skills by getting things and having fun".

See my signature, I don't like bots. However I DO see that they are simply an inevitable curse of how the game is build now.

What if I find grinding skills to the highest level to be fun? Are you going to ruin my fun because it isn't fun to you and you see it as some sort of solution?

If you make everything easily accessible, it will cut the time people will want to play the game by a lot, and it will eliminate the idea of progressing to achieve. Most games that I know of don't have everything accessible within a short time, because they want people to spend more time playing said game.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]