Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Awolo

Botting in Runescape

My main problem with RSC is not the difficulty (It actually made skilling feel very accomplished) but the tiny screen size. It was fine back in 2001-2003 when half of us still used those bulky CRT monitors, which which were able switch to 800x600 or 1024x768 to have a sizable view, but these days with 1080p LCD screens, it just doesn't work. It's way too small on my 23'' widescreen monitor.

(And don't say you can switch you resolution because anything outside of your LCD's non-native resolution just looks bad)

:wall:

Yeah... wrong thread. :oops:

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

bots are here to stay whether we like it or not. ban one, two more take its place. what jagex should be doing is thinking outside of the box and try to come up with solutions to not fix the game, but CHANGE the game.

why do people bots? to gain experience and to get GOLD. Gold is becoming worthless since theres no many bots bringing it into the game, but still, people need it and people will buy it. what if jagex made your account sort of like your own personal rs? you are your own ge, you are your own source of resources. DIY. if we weren't allowed to trade players. my one billion gp was worth 0 gp to you. if i wanted 99 fletching, i'd have to either cut my own trees or buy my own logs from a NPC. a lot of people will say i'm dumb, but it would fix the botting problem. there's single people with 100 bots going simultaneously generating mass amounts of gp to sell. if gp became untradable, they would have no way to sell it, making it pointless to have 100 bots. if you want a whip, get 85 slayer, if you want rune, get 99 smithing OR you could pvm or pvp to get items. maybe reward people for achieving a 99 in a skill. cut 73k yews for 99 wc? receive a 10% bonus in the resources you cut to contribute to 99 fletching or fm (7.3k extra yews!) get 99 attack, receive a special weapon. keep the loyaltee program to make each account unique. is rs really fun anymore to stand in a spot and skill with no one talking? imagine fishing in catherby and everyone was talking? imagine going to the GE and seeing no bots spamming their gold selling sites or people spamming their merchanting clans.

that's just one idea to get rid of bots but theres so many more and unless jagex does something drastic, rs will continue to decline.

bots are here to stay whether we like it or not. ban one, two more take its place. what jagex should be doing is thinking outside of the box and try to come up with solutions to not fix the game, but CHANGE the game.

why do people bots? to gain experience and to get GOLD. Gold is becoming worthless since theres no many bots bringing it into the game, but still, people need it and people will buy it. what if jagex made your account sort of like your own personal rs? you are your own ge, you are your own source of resources. DIY. if we weren't allowed to trade players. my one billion gp was worth 0 gp to you. if i wanted 99 fletching, i'd have to either cut my own trees or buy my own logs from a NPC. a lot of people will say i'm dumb, but it would fix the botting problem. there's single people with 100 bots going simultaneously generating mass amounts of gp to sell. if gp became untradable, they would have no way to sell it, making it pointless to have 100 bots. if you want a whip, get 85 slayer, if you want rune, get 99 smithing OR you could pvm or pvp to get items. maybe reward people for achieving a 99 in a skill. cut 73k yews for 99 wc? receive a 10% bonus in the resources you cut to contribute to 99 fletching or fm (7.3k extra yews!) get 99 attack, receive a special weapon. keep the loyaltee program to make each account unique. is rs really fun anymore to stand in a spot and skill with no one talking? imagine fishing in catherby and everyone was talking? imagine going to the GE and seeing no bots spamming their gold selling sites or people spamming their merchanting clans.

that's just one idea to get rid of bots but theres so many more and unless jagex does something drastic, rs will continue to decline.

That sounds kind of like the no free trade idea, but more extreme. To be honest, I just wish they'd go back to the way things were.

god i hate those damn bots!

Bots = Income for Jagex

BOTSCAPE :roll:

Asher.png

funnniest thing i saw yesterday.

i went to barb village to fish some food for myself to continue training (i'm a diy, hence i didnt buy it lol) and there were like 30 -> 40 bots jsut standing around. after some watching, i found out that they were fish-pickers. due to all the people/bots dropping their salmon/trout while grinding fly-fishing, these other bots picked up all their salmon and trout, and essentially then banked them i assume. well after some experimentation, i found out that their range of picking up was the mini-map. so being the smartass i am, i lured 30 bots to the black knight's fortress, killing 5-6 of them. t'was fun, and totally free, though due to the new death rules, you dont usually get anything as a drop.

just thought i'd share. :P

:)

bot killing is the best.

WqvZe.png

92 Fishing | 92 Firemaking | 92 Dungeoneering | 99 Cooking

100% FTP | 800+ Total | 19 Combat

Optima dies.. prima fugit. .::. Forever a Harpy

i went to barb village to fish some food for myself to continue training (i'm a diy, hence i didnt buy it lol) and there were like 30 -> 40 bots jsut standing around. after some watching, i found out that they were fish-pickers. due to all the people/bots dropping their salmon/trout while grinding fly-fishing, these other bots picked up all their salmon and trout, and essentially then banked them i assume. well after some experimentation, i found out that their range of picking up was the mini-map. so being the smartass i am, i lured 30 bots to the black knight's fortress, killing 5-6 of them. t'was fun, and totally free, though due to the new death rules, you dont usually get anything as a drop.

bot killing is the best.

such is harpie intellect at its finest

I remember saying something similar back in March. Only problem is that change is resented. :| If the fundamentals change, the game changes, and you have yet another fragmented fanbase.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Free Trade was the RS that I grew to love, I came back and it was here again. It only makes sense that it stays. If Jagex went back to the stance they used to have, we would be in the exact same situation. I remember posting a video about yew bots in varrock.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

Wrong? The bots make cash MORE valuable if anything. More increased supply of resources and constant demand allows you to buy more resources for less cash.

Wrong? The bots make cash MORE valuable if anything. More increased supply of resources and constant demand allows you to buy more resources for less cash.

I don't really follow this logic, here or on the other thread. Yes it makes raw resources less expensive than they were before meaning that you can buy them for a lesser amount of gp than before. But if these resources were also your source of revenue then then your income is dropping at the same time. It doesn't matter if living costs becomes less expensive if you make less than amount you did before. And I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if EVERYTHING dropped down in price roughly evenly, but since bosses are (I assume) not botted and their valuable drops take a loooooong time to saturate the market they've remained high in value. And it's true they have been dropping a bit of late, probably partially due to bxpw dumping, but they're still in a whole other bracket in terms of cost. Once again, it's been this way for a long time, gathering skiills except for rc were not decent ways to make money, but at least people could gather through mid to low level combat. But now that's gone, and the gear required to boss usually includes gear from other bosses which still takes starting capitol that is excruciatingly hard to get nowadays. And for people like me who just aren't good at bossing or pking alternatives are becoming few and far between.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10

99 Defense since 3/14/11 99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11

99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11 99 Prayer since 11/15/11

99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14

99 Fishing since 2/4/14 99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14

99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14 99 Fletching since 11/11/14

99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

but since bosses are (I assume) not botted

Your assumption is incorrect. :P.

Well, not all bosses are... But I can think of a few that are.

09144a99bb.png

It would be nice if it ended, however, I don't think that dumb ass Jagex is that smart.

Turnpikes.png

bot killing is the best.

lmao there are bots picking up after othe bots now - are you [[bleep]ing] serious.

but lol good job in luring the bots - not that short a distance.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Botters gunna bot, cant stop them. Any attempts to do so will hurt runescape more then it will help it.

The only reasonable thing to do is ban them

Botters gunna bot, cant stop them. Any attempts to do so will hurt runescape more then it will help it.

The only reasonable thing to do is perm ban them

Fixed.

Now, that would also assume Jagex already has the software capable of detecting them... Which they don't.

09144a99bb.png

Fixed.

Now, that would also assume Jagex already has the software capable of detecting them... Which they don't.

yes they do, they just keep it offline because bots are paying customers

Fixed.

yes they do, they just keep it offline because bots are paying customers

I'm willing to bet they don't have the software. With the quality of most of their recent updates, their lowzy coding, [cabbage]ty QA, and everything else... I'd have no reason to believe their anti-cheat department would be any better.

09144a99bb.png

We've been hearing from Jagex that they are able to tackle the bot issue, but they can't tells us what that is...yet.

On the one hand, I'm hoping that this issue is raised at Runefest, and that there will be some kind of announcement to coincide with the event.

On the other hand, I remember waiting for Santa when I was a kid.

Cultjunky.png

There is about 2million members now.

I would say 50% of them bot or have botted at least 1 skill. 1million players.

I would say 10-15% of them are full time perm bots, whether its going for all skills 99 or for gold farming. So 200-300k players

Lets assume Jagex reverts their stance to a harsh bot you get perm banned stance again. 1million players may or may not get banned (Im sure Jagex wont ban them if they stopped botting for at least 6 months) and they only ban the 300k full time bots.

300k x 6 = about 2million a month.

Im not sure what gaming company would incinerate 2 million dollars a month to stop cheaters. Im positive Jagex does have real and powerful detection systems which they turned off as soon as they realized how profitable bots are. Maybe Jagex will go hard on all the bots, but its an insane amount of money for them to throw away when they can just roll back and/or 14 day ban and put on the persona of actually doing something.

Thats only half the reason bots are so common.

The other half is rooted deep in the gameplay of runescape. Theres a reason that theres much higher bots per capita in runescape versus World of Warcraft. The program Warden doesnt stop bots, the gameplay does. Getting max level in the game is easy, getting everything you really - need - to buy to be good is easy. What WoW does is it makes the max gear require teamwork or skill in pvp to get. While its true your average player cant buy the most expensive vanity mounts in the game they should have no problem getting the fastest flying speed and a decent mount, enough to pay for their day to day activities and the best enchants and upgrades to their equipment.

Runescape on the other hand takes insane amounts of hours to get decent stats. Looking at the requirements to get a quest cape alone and all stats 80+ (which I will argue is beating runescape) its massive compared to WoW. Not only is the time investment insane to a player, the gameplay is too. The gameplay is mindless and repetitive all around, I cant help but feel that some aspects of the game were designed for a machine to do as a test run instead of a human being to do for enjoyment (glad im done forever with firemaking and agility).

Also runescape has an economy which makes it so the cost of skills is a soft requirement of 100's of hours. With this difficult cost and the fact that some players have it easy by having bought a rare item years ago, its no wonder kids choose to bot. Many people consider botting or even buying real gold because of this part of the game. Simply put for most players their money making method is less fun then the game itself so they would do many things to avoid having to deal with it.

While some people feel its wrong for players to seek the easy way out on this, it shouldnt be impossible for anyone who plays runescape to imagine why some people end up botting and why Jagex chooses to let them do so. Anyone proposing a botting solution better address everything I mentioned if they expect real results.

look at it from this angle.

1)don't ban the bots, make an extra 2M dollars but risk losing your legit customers

2)ban the bots now, lose out on some extra money, but keep your legit customers for ever

it's like a geyser vs a stream, at first the geyser seems like a lot more, but eventually it stops, whereas the stream flows slowly, but steady.

look at it from this angle.

1)don't ban the bots, make an extra 2M dollars but risk losing your legit customers

2)ban the bots now, lose out on some extra money, but keep your legit customers for ever

it's like a geyser vs a stream, at first the geyser seems like a lot more, but eventually it stops, whereas the stream flows slowly, but steady.

No guarantee legit players will stay forever, trends change. If anything Jagex may see bots as a more stable investment :lol: