Cars with driver's side on the right side.

spooferfish

Interesting...I've never even considered that. My guess would be what the drawing is but I have no clue if it's right :-P

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

So in other words, you are wondering if the gearshift gear positions on a manual car are flipped relative to a left hand drive car?

Yes. Was wondering if first gear stayed near the driver when the driver was sitting on the other side of the car.

35b9enp.jpg

Whoa man. Driver's seat on the left looks so weird to me. D:

Should try driving a left-hand steering after you've driven a right-hand for nearly a year. I remember when i moved to Qatar and had to do my license here after driving in South Africa (without a license) for nearly a year. Kept on trying to reach for the stick against the door. Same thing happened when i went back to SA for a year and had to start driving right-hand steering again.

Sounds quite uncomfortable, shifting with your left... if you're a leftie then it's a godsend, but for me? Eh.

Oh, maybe some of you Brits can answer this little question of mine. I hope I'm not stealing the thread, but this is the best time as ever.

Okay, so, the 'story' behind the British driving on the left, is that in the ye olde medieval lance tournaments, the knights would use their right arm to hold their lance, thus making their opponents (incoming traffic) face their right instead of left (like the rest of the world's roads).

Does this story have some sort of historical accuracy or is it plain folklore? Love it hear it if someone knows.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Sounds quite uncomfortable, shifting with your left... if you're a leftie then it's a godsend, but for me? Eh.

I've never had any problems with it, I think it would be uncomfortable shifting with my right. I guess it's just what you learnt with.

Okay, so, the 'story' behind the British driving on the left, is that in the ye olde medieval lance tournaments, the knights would use their right arm to hold their lance, thus making their opponents (incoming traffic) face their right instead of left (like the rest of the world's roads).

Does this story have some sort of historical accuracy or is it plain folklore? Love it hear it if someone knows.

I believe that's one of the reasons, but there are probably many other factors. From what I've read/heard when wagons were being pulled by horses, the person in control would sit on a horse on the left so that they could lash the other horses with their right arm.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Oh, maybe some of you Brits can answer this little question of mine. I hope I'm not stealing the thread, but this is the best time as ever.

I don't believe it has anything to do with jousting, otherwise many more countries would drive on the left, since contrary to popular belief jousting isn't an exclusively British thing.

My theory is that it's just one of those things that we did to simply do things differently, an attempt to develop a 'British' way of doing things. It didn't work, of course, but the damage was done.

It's precisely because many of the countries in the world, particularly America, drive on the right that we drive on the left.

That's my theory, anyway.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

When on the right, first is away from you and higher gears are close to you.

It looks strange to change gears with your right hand while holding the wheel with your left. I'd rather have the control of the car with my best arm, changing gears with my less-good arm.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'd rather just drive an automatic. :thumbsup:

Yup.

Also, if I were in the right seat of a car, I would be more scared of swiping a car on the other side of the road (assuming I'm still in the US). But, I think in Europe the directions of the roads are different, too, right? People drive on the left side of the road, and oncoming traffic is on the right? I think as long as I'm driving on the side which oncoming traffic is coming, I'd be able to handle it.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Yep, same as left hand drive.

I've driven a few cars where reverse was to the left of 1st gear, but you either had to jam the stick all the way to the left then up or you had to lift a kind of toggle on the gearstick as you shifted at the same time but I'm sure thats the same with left hand manuals as well.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Yup.

Also, if I were in the right seat of a car, I would be more scared of swiping a car on the other side of the road (assuming I'm still in the US). But, I think in Europe the directions of the roads are different, too, right? People drive on the left side of the road, and oncoming traffic is on the right? I think as long as I'm driving on the side which oncoming traffic is coming, I'd be able to handle it.

Just the UK, and maybe a few other countries, not all of Europe, most, if not all, countries in mainland Europe drive on the right.

Personally, I think it would be weird shifting gears with my right hand, I'd much rather keep it on the wheel so my stronger hand is keeping the car under control

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

No.png

Japan uses RHD, too. Don't know their reasoning though.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

My friend's uncle special ordered a British car so he could shift [left handed].

Gears never switch positions, but I imagine driving stick southpaw as ridiculously hard

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Unless you're driving a Ferrari, an automatic is far better.

For what? If you have an older car or one with less power then manual can be an advantage, also in terms of fuel economy.

My question is which side is the clutch on? I'm guessing it's on the left hand side on a left hand drive car too.

rosssigfinal.jpg

^ it's on the left, it goes clutch - brake - accelerator, I imagine if that was different it would cause a whole lot more problems than the steering wheel being on the other side/the gears being the other way around

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"