Martial Arts in RuneScape - possible idea for JaGex?

Unarmed combat is a significant part of staking, it's just working out how to implement the idea to be feasible. I think it'll work - it'll just take some time.

I don't think you understand. The reason people like boxing is because it's almost 50/50. Add skill to that and you lose what makes boxing so great.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

@Quyneax; My proposal is no trivial matter - I'm proposing a combat mechanic overhaul in mainly unarmoured combat, preferably within some form of minigame like Duel Arena Tournaments. There is no exclusive attack in Martial Arts that's good against everything - every attack will have a weaknesses. As I've said many times already, Martial Arts does incorporate weaponry - like the Ninjutsu move with the swords. I realise that it's difficult to implement in this kind of game, but it's not impossible. Difficult, maybe. Impossible, no.

You speak of "Martial Arts" like it's a certain collection of movement or whatever, but it really isn't. Martial arts: "Martial arts are extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development." (Wikipedia). From that we gather that the term 'martial arts' refers to the collection of such systems but is not itself one of them (also I don't see where I ever denied that martial arts involve weapons...?).

Secondly I would argue that implementing any such system in Runescape is useless and doesn't actually improve the game.

I don't quite understand your first argument, care to elaborate in layman's terms?

In response to your second argument; I think it does improve the game - it adds variety to what is currently a limited range of melee attacks. 'One for all' weapons are great in that it's so versatile, but it poorly reflects what truly happens in combat and fails to bring about a level of 'skill' that I think should exist in combat - which appears to be the case now, as the Chaotic Rapier seems to be the predominant weapon of choice against most things.

It may require a new mechanic altogether that's less reliant on a random number generator in order to calculate damage though...

@Grasle - 'no.' is not constructive criticism, please refrain from spamming on these boards.

No, cuz weapon > bare hands..?

Tell that to Krav Maga. :lol:

NT, it's an interesting idea but I can't see how it would fit very well into the combat mechanics already in-game. Perhaps if Jagex introduced it into fighting styles to augment specific weapon types (ie: 2H, rapier, whip, bow, etc...), similar to the class progressions in MapleStory (and I'm sure others, but that's really the only one I know with divisions based on weapon preference), but that would require breaking at least the upper combat levels into classes which I can't see them doing.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

@Grasle - 'no.' is not constructive criticism, please refrain from spamming on these boards.

This thread is a suggestion rephrased to pass for a discussion topic. There's nothing that hints at the possibility other than your imagination. Implementing martial arts into Runescape like the way you describe is just impractical and silly.

Never going to happen, shouldn't happen, nothing worth talking about.

cliffside1ra5.png

@Quyneax; My proposal is no trivial matter - I'm proposing a combat mechanic overhaul in mainly unarmoured combat, preferably within some form of minigame like Duel Arena Tournaments. There is no exclusive attack in Martial Arts that's good against everything - every attack will have a weaknesses. As I've said many times already, Martial Arts does incorporate weaponry - like the Ninjutsu move with the swords. I realise that it's difficult to implement in this kind of game, but it's not impossible. Difficult, maybe. Impossible, no.

You speak of "Martial Arts" like it's a certain collection of movement or whatever, but it really isn't. Martial arts: "Martial arts are extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development." (Wikipedia). From that we gather that the term 'martial arts' refers to the collection of such systems but is not itself one of them (also I don't see where I ever denied that martial arts involve weapons...?).

Secondly I would argue that implementing any such system in Runescape is useless and doesn't actually improve the game.

I don't quite understand your first argument, care to elaborate in layman's terms?

In response to your second argument; I think it does improve the game - it adds variety to what is currently a limited range of melee attacks. 'One for all' weapons are great in that it's so versatile, but it poorly reflects what truly happens in combat and fails to bring about a level of 'skill' that I think should exist in combat - which appears to be the case now, as the Chaotic Rapier seems to be the predominant weapon of choice against most things.

It may require a new mechanic altogether that's less reliant on a random number generator in order to calculate damage though...

Well my first point is that the term 'martial arts' does not refer to a series of combat moves but rather to the collection of collections of combat moves (/semantics). Not a very important thing.

If you change RS to require skill in (slayer) combat you're really making such a fundamental change that you'd be better off making a new game, imo. On the other hand, changing only pvp combat isn't neccesary because that already requires skill except where is has been eliminated on purpose (aka staking uses really simple combat to make it even for the skilled and unskilled).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Each to their own I guess.

I don't think it's change for change's sake - although it's not a necessary thing, it's still a nice addition that could make RuneScape slightly better.

The only problems I see would be implementing it on an established combat system, and the issues with - Martial arts on armour, as it'll obviously be painful to use fists against sheet metal -, and the fact that monsters like Dragons cannot be effectively fought with techniques that mainly work against humanoid monsters (with similar strengths/weaknesses)

I guess the time invested in developing the proposed idea would also be an issue too...

It would take some time to work out the workarounds for the hitches.

If you were talking about taking down dragons, I'd imagine the more 'realistic' technique would involve throwing a spear with a lead tip into their throats :P. Or using crossbows with grapples to tie down Nex.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I fail to see how martial arts would help anything. At most, it's just a mini-game. As for weapon variety, most weapons actually have uses somewhere. As for stuff like, say, the Rapier being the best weapon against 90% of monsters, that's because (for complex reasons) Jagex has ended up making most monsters, well, weak (relative to someone with high melee stats, a rapier and extremes.)

In any case, as someone has pointed out, huge overhauls to the combat mechanic would be better off seen in a new game, and boxing staking is popular BECAUSE it takes virtually no skill.

Frankly, if you wanted a game with 'skill' that should exist in combat, you probably should have chosen a game where the primary fighting method is "order character to attack the enemy and heal (eat) when necessary."

Making a new mini-game based on this is possible, but fitting it in with old content.... isn't. Or, if you feel like being optimistic, it needs baby steps - first make a mini-game out of it, see it being popular, introduce these mechanics in many future updates, and eventually reach a point where it is so well liked and common that it starts being worth retro-fitting into older aspects of RS.

To be what in my mind is realistic, you'd be lucky to see it be a somewhat successful minigame.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

You got it wrong. The skill wouldn't be "martial arts". It would be "Ninja".

Then it could be amazing.

The training and fighting on it should be like mortal combat/soul caliber style.

Could you imagine pretty much playing mortal combat for hours and getting Ninja experience? Then at every 10th level you unlock a new martial arts style. Every new level or every few new levels you get a new move.

Doing ninja raids/missions would be the other way to train. It would be like dungeoneering but cooler.

Perhaps there would be a limit to how many raids you could do a week, or not.

Then there would be a place you can fight/stake other people.. This would be like mortal combat too.

It could also be set up like the fights in a game called "Swords and sandals".

the-graduate-bus.png

Combat in RS is just clicking on stuff. As such, martial arts would be possible, but really just as monotonous and identical to train as all combat skills.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Actually i like this idea, like a minigame or a certain area in Runescape that you can practice MMA, and different specialities, kinda like dungoneering where you can play the skill on a certain place, that would be cool.

Cybermullet.png