England Riots

Sam

Taken from Al Jazeera English

Riots have spread to new areas of London while looting erupted in the cities of Birmingham, Liverpool and Bristol as Britain's worst violence in decades extended into a third night.

Shops and cars were set ablaze across London late on Monday and early on Tuesday with authorities struggling to contain the unrest in the capital city which will host next summer's Olympic Games.

Police said on Tuesday they had arrested more than 200 people in the worst night of unrest so far and more than 450 overall. David Cameron, the British prime minister, will chair an emergency security meeting on Tuesday to discuss the riots.

Three people were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in Brent, west London, after a police officer was injured by a car, police said. The incident is believed to have occurred after several cars whose occupants were suspected of participating in looting a local electrical store were stopped by police, police said.

Looting by groups of hooded youths spread on Monday night to Ealing in west London and Camden in the north. Television pictures showed groups running through the streets and smashing shop windows.

Buildings were also set on fire in Croydon, a south London suburb, and in Clapham, where shops and cash machines were looted.

Local residents in Croydon were evacuated due to the spreading fire, while the Guardian newspaper quoted a nearby officer as admitting: "We can't cope. We have passed breaking point."

There was also violence on Monday in Hackney in east London, and in the Peckham and Lewisham areas south of the River Thames.

The violence started on Saturday night in Tottenham in north London following protests over the fatal shooting of a 29-year-old black man, Mark Duggan, by police.

Tottenham is an impoverished area with an ethnically diverse population, a large black community and a history of unrest. Some residents resent police behaviour, including the use of stop and search powers, which they say are primarily targeted at black youths.

In Peckham, flames leapt into the air from a torched building, while rubble was strewn across the street. People walked in and out of shops looting. Another building, a Sony warehouse, was ablaze in Enfield, a suburb north of London.

Dozens of riot police were deployed on the streets of Hackney after police cars were damaged, buses attacked and shops looted.

In Notting Hill in west London, rampagers forced their way into an exclusive restaurant, The Ledbury, before stealing diners' phones, plates off the tables and attempting to take the till.

Unrest spills out

But in a sign that the unrest had spread beyond the capital, attackers smashed shops and looted property in the central England city of Birmingham.

West Midlands Police confirmed they had made 87 arrests as youths ran amok in Birmingham centre overnight, smashing shop windows and looting merchandise. The force also said that a police station was on fire.

Liverpool police said a small number of vehicles were set on fire and reported some criminal damage. They said officers were responding to a number of isolated outbreaks of disorder," including vehicles set ablaze and buildings attacked in the city's southern neighbourhoods.

Police reported "copy-cat violence" in Bristol in the southwest and urged people to avoid the city centre after 150 rioters went on the rampage in "volatile scenes''.

Al Jazeera correspondent Barnaby Philips, reporting from Tottenham, said there was anguish and dismay about what had happened over the weekend.

"People realise that jobs, property and investments have been damaged for years to come, and they are very distraught about it. Thankfully Tottenham is calm as of now."

Crisis meeting

Meanwhile, the prime minister's office said Cameron, who has faced media criticism for being away on holiday during the riots, would cut short his trip and return to London to chair a crisis meeting on the unrest.

"The violence we've seen, the looting we've seen, the thuggery we've seen, this is sheer criminality ... these people will be brought to justice, they will be made to face the consequences of their actions," said Theresa May, the interior minister, who also cut short her holiday because of the riots.

"It was needless, opportunistic theft and violence, nothing more, nothing less. It is completely unacceptable," said Nick Clegg, Britain's deputy prime minister, during a visit to Tottenham.

Scotland Yard commander Christine Jones said Monday night's events were "simply inexcusable". At least 35 police officers were injured in the unrest at the weekend. An 11-year-old boy was among those arrested.

Tim Godwin, the acting Metropolitan Police Commissioner, earlier urged parents to "start contacting their children" to find out where they were before slamming "spectators getting in the way of the police operations."

Violent skirmishes have taken place between police and rioters. Al Jazeera's Charlie Angela reports from Hackney.

As police struggled to contain the spiralling disorder, they ordered London football clubs to call off matches.

London police criticised

The London police force has been criticised for its handling of recent large protests against the austerity measures, and its chief and the top counter-terrorism officer recently quit over revelations in the News Corp phone-hacking scandal.

While Britain's politicians were quick to blame petty criminals for the violence, neighbourhood residents said anger at high unemployment and cuts in public services, coupled with resentment of the police, had played a significant role.

"Tottenham is a deprived area. Unemployment is very, very high ... they are frustrated," Uzodinma Wigwe, 49, who was made redundant from his job as a cleaner recently, said.

The riots come at a time of deepening gloom in Britain as the pain from economic stagnation is exacerbated by deep public spending cuts and tax rises aimed at eliminating a budget deficit that peaked at more than 10 per cent of GDP.

Very few details of Duggan's death on Thursday have been released. Police said initially an officer was briefly hospitalised after the shooting and media reports said a bullet had been found lodged in the officer's radio.

Although a gun was recovered from the scene, The Guardian newspaper reported that the bullet in the radio was police-issue, throwing doubt on speculation that Duggan had fired at an officer.

Britain's police watchdog is investigating the incident and has not commented on the report.

16046192.jpg16046159.jpg

16046045.jpg16046251.jpg

16046233.jpg16046266.jpg

*posts with the intent of flame-baiting/trolling will not be tolerated - only post if you wish to contribute positively to the dicussion*

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in north london.

rumour has is the army have been called in.

No, the army is not being called in at all. The police are just being reinforced by 10,000 officers, up from 6,000 to 16,000, to try to swamp the rioters.

My old neighborhood - it's good to see people standing up to the Tory government in a way but I've already heard of people I used to know in North London losing possessions. In the end I doubt that much of the rioting is done with any political forethought and is much more likely opportunistic fun and violence piggybacking the peaceful vigil made after Duggans death. As to the death it does all seem rather strange - The Guardian reported yesterday that the bullet found in the radio was thought to be police issue and that the gun recovered was found in a closed bag under the passenger seat so does all seem a bit strange but considering the incredibly stringent laws in Britain on the use of police violence and the fact that CO19 are very highly trained I somehow doubt that Duggan was just shot by 'accident' or something similar.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

"Want to help clean up?" (see second comment)

I'd love to help.

Also, for those who live in England, is it legal to protect your property with a firearm? It's understandable that rioters have the ability to hurl rocks at your store from a distance, but couldn't you be able to fend for your property (and life) by threatening the looters with a gun?

tumblr_lpnv9fTaIW1r1pwklo1_400.jpg

There'd probably be too many looters to fend off, now that I think about it.

tIf4F.png

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

The problem with living in a civilized democratic society is that you don't have the power to actually put a stop to this, easily at any rate.

If, for example, the police captured ten looters and executed them in the street, the looting would be over preeeeettty quickly.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Anyone saying these riots are going on as a protest or as a way of fighting against the government are talking RUBBISH.

These riots are nothing more than thug youths out rioting for fun and profit. Smashing windows and stealing TVs. The FIRST riot which came after a peaceful protest over the death of a man shot by police stemmed from having a real purpose but right now there's nothing but mindless vandalism going on. I really hope the police throw the book at everyone arrested, this is no way to behave.

I will never forgive them if rioting starts in Manchester. Our police say that it won't but I would NEVER forgive them if they attacked my favourite city (or worse, Salford, where I actually will be living soon and people I care about live).

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Seems to be people causing destruction just for the sake of it now, rather than anything else.

EDIT: What Rachael said ^

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

It is stupid.

The small protest about the shotting in tottenham was fine.

That broke into riot due to the usual [wagon]es who like any excuse to kick off (eg those who ruined the student fee protests)

But this is jsut mental now, its all kicked off from that one (in the grand scheme of things) trivial event and its jsut pure thuggery taking opportunity to loot.

I'm sure it'll get broken up soon though, with 16,000 police on duty tonight in london and number stepped up all over the uk. Plans to entirely shut off parts of london, 450 already arrested in london alone them [bleep]es gonna get smacked into order.

Plus they are reviewing all the cctv footage with intent to seek out and arrest ALL involved and purposefully speeding up court proceedings to prosecute them all.

Some of the looters are claiming its to "get back their taxes" but its dumb cause odds are taxes will go up again to cover the clean up costs.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Some of the looters are claiming its to "get back their taxes" but its dumb cause odds are taxes will go up again to cover the clean up costs.

It's also stupid because I can't help but feel that most of the rioters are on benefits

I love that some of the less intelligent (and this is possibly the loosest possible application of the term 'intelligent', everyone involved in prolonging these riots is a moron) have posted pictures of themselves on facebook with stuff they've stolen, like this guy:

riceman.png

got himself a sweet-ass bag of basmati rice

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

It's also stupid because I can't help but feel that most of the rioters are on benefits

I love that some of the less intelligent (and this is possibly the loosest possible application of the term 'intelligent', everyone involved in prolonging these riots is a moron) have posted pictures of themselves on facebook with stuff they've stolen, like this guy:

riceman.png

got himself a sweet-ass bag of basmati rice

God damn, do they not realize Police will look there?

Probably the best description of all this [cabbage] is that guy, maybe 14, trying to carry a tv bigger than himself.

I just wonder what the next [bleep]ed event in the world will be.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Riots are about power, and they are about catharsis. They are not about poor parenting, or youth services being cut, or any of the other snap explanations that media pundits have been trotting out: structural inequalities, as a friend of mine remarked today, are not solved by a few pool tables. People riot because it makes them feel powerful, even if only for a night. People riot because they have spent their whole lives being told that they are good for nothing, and they realise that together they can do anything literally, anything at all. People to whom respect has never been shown riot because they feel they have little reason to show respect themselves, and it spreads like fire on a warm summer night. And now people have lost their homes, and the country is tearing itself apart.

Noone expected this. The so-called leaders who have taken three solid days to return from their foreign holidays to a country in flames did not anticipate this. The people running Britain had absolutely no clue how desperate things had become. They thought that after thirty years of soaring inequality, in the middle of a recession, they could take away the last little things that gave people hope, the benefits, the jobs, the possibility of higher education, the support structures, and nothing would happen. They were wrong. And now my city is burning, and it will continue to burn until we stop the blanket condemnations and blind conjecture and try to understand just what has brought viral civil unrest to Britain. Let me give you a hint: it aint Twitter.

Penny Red: Panic on the streets of London.

Also, for those who live in England, is it legal to protect your property with a firearm? It's understandable that rioters have the ability to hurl rocks at your store from a distance, but couldn't you be able to fend for your property (and life) by threatening the looters with a gun?

NO! Not at all, not even in the slightest. It's difficult for even farmers to own firearms I believe. You can't even defend your home using a baseball bat or something stored under your bed, it'd considered preemptive (sp?).

It's all getting a little too close to home just outside Croydon atm!

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

these riots are absolutely disgraceful

whether they had a legitimate reason to be upset or not, they completely lost the support of every reasonable person in the country, a lot of these rioters don't have a clue what they are doing, they are destroying their local communities and businesses that are their only job opportunities while pretending to have a cause, while they really have no idea what is going on, eg http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

seriously, how can they justify doing something like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYuMPw6Yi3k

So let me see this traight. Those chavs saw the kid, probably beaten to the point of coffing blood (we don't know if they were the ones to beat him up, or if he participated in the riots and ended up being beaten by the police), and pretended to help him just so they could steal his stuff?

Scum of the earth right there.

And while I live nowhere near London, that is just ridiculous, like many have said before, this is just rioting for the sake of looting, any kind of excuse is immideatly invalid seeing how much harm they did not only for themselves, but to their communitties as a whole. Dispicable.

Also, @the bbc link abotu the women being interviewed after rioting, that just proves this is nothing but mindless violence and pillage. They discribed the riots as a "buch of good fun" and that it was also "the government's fault". WTF? These kind of people just make me mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z09--zuktH8

How to stop the riots of getting out of hand like in the above video:

Arm the riot cops, let them shoot whoever tries to defy them. Seriously, that would have stopped the charge right there, standing around with plastic shield ammounts to near nothign when you aren't allowed to fight back.

The cops are [cabbage] scared of touching them in fear of being sacked which has happened in nearly every previous riot when somebody gets injured and complains.

Screw human rights, you act like moronic apes you get treated like them until you learn.

All this reminds me of the '94 LA riots, over the same thing: police brutality.

The biggest problem with cops: they either overdo it or underdo it. Always. <_<

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg