England Riots

Sam

One of the most frustrating things for me is the constant stream of footage and information the media is pumping out on a twenty four hour scale. It is probably one of the key reasons there have been copycat riots in other parts of the UK other than London and I find it very hypocritical of institutions like the BBC berating politicians for not doing enough and having caused the problem by the cuts they've made when in reality the media has probably done the most to aggravate the situation.

I actually find this to be true. If the riots hadn't been beamed into the media 24/7 for the last three days until they seem almost glamourised, do you think it'd be spreading? It's putting ideas in people's heads. Who can't think 'I could go for a new x, if they can do it without police stopping them (which is pretty much all the news has been saying. looters going unpunished, not enough police) then there are people out there immoral and desperate enough. I don't BLAME the media but they're not helping!

Small pockets of trouble in Salford & Manchester, I really hope it doesn't kick off into a major riot and, if it does, they stay the [bleep] away from my Primark!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most frustrating things for me is the constant stream of footage and information the media is pumping out on a twenty four hour scale. It is probably one of the key reasons there have been copycat riots in other parts of the UK other than London and I find it very hypocritical of institutions like the BBC berating politicians for not doing enough and having caused the problem by the cuts they've made when in reality the media has probably done the most to aggravate the situation.

I actually find this to be true. If the riots hadn't been beamed into the media 24/7 for the last three days until they seem almost glamourised, do you think it'd be spreading? It's putting ideas in people's heads. Who can't think 'I could go for a new x, if they can do it without police stopping them (which is pretty much all the news has been saying. looters going unpunished, not enough police) then there are people out there immoral and desperate enough. I don't BLAME the media but they're not helping!

Small pockets of trouble in Salford & Manchester, I really hope it doesn't kick off into a major riot and, if it does, they stay the [bleep] away from my Primark!

Primark often looks like theres been a riot in there anyways. ;)

Primark often looks like theres been a riot in there anyways. ;)

Haha, very very true.

Seriously though, Manchester city centre is a great place and all I can think is of how much vulnerable glass there is in the Arndale alone. I would be furious if this spreads to Manchester properly.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Saw this on Drudge.

Top 5 sports and leisure items (differences) for the UK on Amazon are (drumroll please) Baseball bats.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/sports/ref=zg_bsms_tab

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

following this on twitter and the bbc

http://twitpic.com/63irxw

that was not long ago at the arndale apparently

and a fair bit of trouble going on in salford as well apparently, i'm not happy -.-

1844: The Central Housing Office in Salford, Greater Manchester, is on fire. Fire crews are said to be at the scene.

from the bbc live feed

It's ridiculous. Reddit had a really good topic on it last night, loads of first hand accounts from various redditors in different parts of London. It's going to be interesting to see how things recover in the places that have had the worst of the rioting. Smashing up your local shops and businesses seems to me like shooting yourself in the foot, especially when this dies down and your already deprived area looks more like something from Fallout than a local high street.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

The solution I said to my Gf last night was to exchange all the rioters with asylum seekers. We get people into the country who actually need to be here and get rid of pure scum. I'm ashamed of some people in this country, and if I personally knew anybody who was involved in this rioting I would physically harm them.

I agree with Rainy's post a little back where he says the police need to have more firearms and powers such as water cannons and rubber bullets. This is one of the times that human rights need bending. Rioters who have a purpose deserve human rights, rioters who have no purpose lose a majority of their human rights in my view.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The people who have done this are just stupid... Loads of them are like the students that rioted months back - "We're not getting what we want so we're gona break all your stuff and our stuff too then complain we've ruined our chances of being listened to and that our stuff is broken." >.>

Least the riots aren't in Hereford...

Hopefully everything gets back to normal soon... Also is it me, or has anyone else noticed the complete lack of common sense these people have displayed - "Alright, I'm gona loot some crap... Then, THEN! I'm gona post a picture of me on Facebook/Twitter with all my free new stuff, promoting rioting and having my name on full view to anyone" =D> What complete and utter stupidity from the human race...

TBH the ONLY reason that people should be rioting like this is if Voldemort is back...

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

The people who have done this are just stupid... Loads of them are like the students that rioted months back - "We're not getting what we want so we're gona break all your stuff and our stuff too then complain we've ruined our chances of being listened to and that our stuff is broken." >.>

That couldn't be further from the truth. The students rioting had at least a reason, I was among the peaceful protesters but the rioting was done for a REASON. That reason maybe couldn't justify violence, but it wasn't a bad one. Rioters now are ONLY RIOTING FOR MONEY, FUN AND CHAOS. They're not students, they're underclass teenage thugs who have no worth in this society whatsoever. I don't want them rehabilitated, I want them arrested and taught the word of the law. And I'm a liberal.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

That couldn't be further from the truth. The students rioting had at least a reason, I was among the peaceful protesters but the rioting was done for a REASON. That reason maybe couldn't justify violence, but it wasn't a bad one. Rioters now are ONLY RIOTING FOR MONEY, FUN AND CHAOS. They're not students, they're underclass teenage thugs who have no worth in this society whatsoever. I don't want them rehabilitated, I want them arrested and taught the word of the law. And I'm a liberal.

I concur.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

I concur.

i also agree, this is nothing like the student protests

Hear hear. A lot of copycats are sprouting and I'm hoping it won't come to my city (though if it does I'm always at hand to kick a bit of ass).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Hear hear. A lot of copycats are sprouting and I'm hoping it won't come to my city (though if it does I'm always at hand to kick a bit of ass).

Spreading to my city, bordering up the shops with the police out forcing apart any grouping of young people.

Bloody idiots, what is the point of this.

People in Manchester may also want to get plans to move out sharpish:

Rioters have set fire to a Miss Selfridge shop on Market Street in Manchester city centre.

Spreading to my city, bordering up the shops with the police out forcing apart any grouping of young people.

Bloody idiots, what is the point of this.

People in Manchester may also want to get plans to move out sharpish:

Rioters have set fire to a Miss Selfridge shop on Market Street in Manchester city centre.

Normal numbers of police in my city on normal patrol, but loads on standby if anything were to happen. I'm annoyingly having to look into cancelling a trip as they may call me. :angry: Bloody brats I say.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

The problem at the moment is that mass public opinion actually seems to oppose the riots. If they grow much larger, I could see them reaching a tipping point where riots against the riots start.

zqXeV.jpg

The problem at the moment is that mass public opinion actually seems to oppose the riots. If they grow much larger, I could see them reaching a tipping point where riots against the riots start.

Then the [cabbage] will hit the fan.

I can imagine that. People are getting angrier and angrier about this, if things go bad tonight and continue into tomorrow with no visible police crackdown then people might take things into their own hands.

Also the BBC need to stop talking about what happened last night. I want to know what's happening NOW.

Edited by Racheya

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

And to be honest, If I were currently in a place with riots, I would not blame them at all for doing so. The rioters do need to be taught a lesson and to learn that just because you feel you can do something doesn't mean you should.

zqXeV.jpg

The last thing the police need are groups of vigilantes though, as even though it seems good to 'protect your city' etc. the police are the ones trained/tooled to deal with it (even though thus far it's been a pretty poor show from some places..). I guarentee if this continues people will take it into their own hands though.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I can imagine that. People are getting angrier and angrier about this, if things go bad tonight and continue into tomorrow with no visible police crackdown then people might take things into their own hands.

Also the BBC need to stop talking about what happened last night. I want to know what's happening NOW.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_manchester

or this BBC

Why didn't I think of that? <3

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I hope none of our fellow anarchists/rebels in the US don't get any ideas...

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

John Derbyshire is a major douche:

Through British veins runs the poisonous fake idealism of "human rights" and "sensitivity," of happy-clappy multicultural groveling and sick, weak, deracinated moral universalism the rotten fruit of a debased, sentimentalized Christianity. When not begging for forgiveness and chastisement from those who rightfully despise him, the modern Brit is lost in contemplation of his shiny new car or tweeting new gadget; or else he has given over all his attention to some vapid TV production or soccer team. I treasure my faint, fading recollections of Britain when she was still, for a few years longer, a nation. Today Britain is merely a place, a bazaar. Let it burn!

Let Britain Burn

I hope none of our fellow anarchists/rebels in the US don't get any ideas...

You can't riot like this in a US city, the shopkeepers will shoot you.

Screw the shopkeeps, the cops would shoot you first.

They take a overbearing "no risk" mentality nowadays.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg