Refer a Friend Programme - 18 Aug 2011

PoorLepRecon

Can I refer myself?

Mod Nexus: You could refer yourself if you wanted to create a second account as a pure or hybrid character for example. However, your main account would not receive the 10% boost unless that account subscribed as well.

Seriously disgusting.

"here hav ur xp all we need moar money kthx ehehehehee" - basically what Nexus is saying, except in a more professional voice

Really. I had *some* doubts that Jagex would actually start doing this but :roll:

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You "only" get to use 5 of these a year, so actually that's $25, not $35.

5 per year at 6.99 = 35.

Remember that new players don't have access to loyalty discounts (membership @5USD). IIRC the average cost of most subscription methods other than CC are 6.99, with CC being the cheapest at 5.95.

So I guess it's more accurately between 30-35$. But if you're buying multiple exp boosts for yourself, your easiest bet is to pay by game card (6.99 / month ) because it would be a lot harder to produce multiple credit cards with different names, or different phone records :P

hzvjpwS.gif

Jagex is basically selling leveling speed here. They're essentially introducing a system where you pay a small fee for increased leveling speed. Jagex wants more lasting paying customers, but they'll get accounts created through this program that will be used for the 10% bonus and won't be played. This is essentially implementing a microtransaction system into Runescape, something that would be fine with me if they actually did it right. The costumes and emotes from the Loyalty Reward Program would have been the right way to implement microtransactions if they were going to do so. Selling leveling speed is very much on the borderline of what microtransaction systems should do, especially in a game like Runescape where everything is so xp oriented. I would say that in RS xp is essentially power, and the #1 rule of microtransaction systems is "never sell power" because it pressures players to pay to play.

To me is seems like Jagex knows their game is dying and instead of trying to fix it, they're attempting to squeeze every last dime out of it while they can, and the methods they're trying are just killing the game faster.

Yesterday's update was great. I loved Temple Trekking and they've improved upon the system, though it still has its flaws. This announcement really makes me ask myself why I'm still playing.

It's really like Jagex is admitting defeat/sluggish membership numbers with this latest promotion.

I don't mean subtly, like the auras or the horrible katana fiasco.

I mean waving-a-white-t-shirt-and-shouting-at-the-top-of-their-lungs admittance of defeat.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Are all the bots that are subscribed to members not enough revenue for JaGex?

This is good though, I can not only create five bot accounts and give them membership to make me GP while I'm in college, but they won't get banned AND I'll receive five weeks of 10% xp bonus on top of that! Better update than yesterday, tbh.

[/sarcasm](just for the mods)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Sick.

I could maybe even tolerate a one time boost. 5 times a year? Able to do it yourself? Its just rwt option if people accept that or not. You can now buy an xp boost on a semi-regular basis. Its 5 weeks for 10% xp is quite significant when you put it towards certain skills.

To be the best of the best you now have to rwt - buy - the xp boost. Or be disadvantaged compared to someone who does.

Xp boost probably doesn't even stack with gilded altar or goldsmithing gloves, but w/e... it's still cutting time to 99 rc and agility by 10%. That's a large number of hours.

Very very bad update.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Nice Way To Sellout Jagex =/ What if i Have no Friends? I could be a lonely nerd at school? How is Fair?

While My Popular friends at school get all their firends to join and get like bonues xp every week for 5 weeks straight

I get nothing, then everyone is ahead of me

(that statment is false xD i am not a nerd... ;P and i have friends :D)

Danny0013.png

Danny0013.png

Wow, literally... Shame I don't really play much anymore to be bothered to abuse it. But this is a massive help for botters though I mean 2x XP for a week... Great going Jagex. :angry:

edit: oh its only to lvl 30, so its not that bad.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

I like how they mention you can refer yourself. Makes it very blatant what they're trying to do.

Plus they encourage you to pull the cracker with the player that invited you. What happened to the multiple login rule?

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

Xp boost probably doesn't even stack with gilded altar or goldsmithing gloves, but w/e... it's still cutting time to 99 rc and agility by 10%. That's a large number of hours.

Very very bad update.

Found this on the Knowledge Base page for the program:

"In terms of items that boost XP, unlike with the Bonus XP Weekend, the effects of these items will apply to the XP gained through the Refer a Friend programme."

They never implied thT you should pop the cracker with your own accounts. Besides it just has noob startup gear, you shouldn't need if you're experienced.

I don't have a problem with the exp boost to the new member, but the bonus to current members will have people making fake accounts and spending $30 for exp boosts 35 days/year.

superway26.png

Great update from Jagex.

People are complaining, but only about people abusing it. So who is actually to blame for it not being good, Jagex, or the players in the community who will abuse it?

Almost every other online-centred game out there has some form of friend referral system, it was actually more odd that Jagex hadn't implemented one than that they have. In a perfect world it would be a perfect system, but the horrendous xp-only community around Runescape now will ruin it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Not good. This will just make member's buying membership for a new account of their own, to get a 10% xp boost on their main account.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

People are complaining, but only about people abusing it. So who is actually to blame for it not being good, Jagex, or the players in the community who will abuse it?

Both, but there's more negativity towards Jagex than the players.

It's not like anyone was really going, "I'm not telling my friends about runescape because I don't get anything for it"

hzvjpwS.gif

Anyone also feeling botters and gold farmers will benefit more from this than legit players (I mean what'S left of legit players...)?

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Anyone also feeling botters and gold farmers will benefit more from this than legit players (I mean what'S left of legit players...)?

They don't benefit at all, that's a silly argument.

Gold farmers do not care about exp. And if people are botting for exp then why would they pay more than they have to? We're assuming they're already getting away with botting, and 10% is not a significant boost.

hzvjpwS.gif