Andrew sells Jagex.

Sir_Devlish

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I find it a bit hypocritical how you guys react to Andrew not having much ties with Jagex anymore. He's mostly created the game from the ground up, dealt with the constant drama queening of this whiny community for years, and you're surprised that he feels like taking it easy with the money he rightfully made? You wouldn't have done the same thing, right?

I would have thought he would at least have tried to get someone competent and with love for the game to follow in his heels, not some investor who only cares about his short-term profit.

I must admit I find it a bit hypocritical how you guys react to Andrew not having much ties with Jagex anymore. He's mostly created the game from the ground up, dealt with the constant drama queening of this whiny community for years, and you're surprised that he feels like taking it easy with the money he rightfully made? You wouldn't have done the same thing, right?

How is it hypocritical?

I would certainly not do the same in his position, seeing as in his position I make enough money to take care of myself and my family I would not sell unless I am absolutely sure that soon the game will use my money and I end up poor.

Does Andrew think this game is done?

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

I just take Runescape as it comes to me. As long as it doesn't close, I'm sailing smoothly.

this action seems like how rats flee the ship before it's too late.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

To be honest -- this isn't as "unsettling" as one should think. In the days of old when Andrew used to wander through the games talking to players, one was always left with the impression that Andrew was more interested in "the work" and/or "the development" than "the ownership" of the game itself.

Divesting himself of his ownership interest in Jagex merely releases him from the responsibility of the day-to-day operations of the "business", and allows him the freedom to dabble about with, say, the game itself, or any other project(s) that have his attention at any given moment.

On the other hand, and I have mentioned this before -- I think there stands a good chance that the ownership group at Jagex may be considering selling off the Runescape "branch" of operations altogether.

I've no solid evidence of this, per se -- but it's a feeling I get when I look at some of the recent developments that have happened in the game since they rigged held the vote on the return of the Wildy/Free Trade.

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

I've been playing since 02 or 03, and there have always been bots. Of course now there are tons more since the player base has expanded. You're getting all worked up for no reason. Hell, one of the reasons we lost free trade was because everyone kept crying about bots.

There are, as of this post, 224,064 "Players" online. That's maybe how many there were at the game's peak in 2007. Unless you're blind, you'll probably see than many of them are bots, just like in 2007. It's also a Friday morning/day/evening in summer, so there'll be a lot of legitimate players as well.

Of course, there's also this type of thing, taken last week in the evening (PST)

bots1.png

Yeah, there were bots before. In 2008 you actually had to go out of your way to look for them. Today, they're about as obvious as the green goatee'd man of 2007.

And let's be honest, you *need* to hide your chat if you're a F2P'er at the GE.

bots3.png

To be honest -- this isn't as "unsettling" as one should think. In the days of old when Andrew used to wander through the games talking to players, one was always left with the impression that Andrew was more interested in "the work" and/or "the development" than "the ownership" of the game itself.

Divesting himself of his ownership interest in Jagex merely releases him from the responsibility of the day-to-day operations of the "business", and allows him the freedom to dabble about with, say, the game itself, or any other project(s) that have his attention at any given moment.

On the other hand, and I have mentioned this before -- I think there stands a good chance that the ownership group at Jagex may be considering selling off the Runescape "branch" of operations altogether.

I've no solid evidence of this, per se -- but it's a feeling I get when I look at some of the recent developments that have happened in the game since they rigged held the vote on the return of the Wildy/Free Trade.

:unsure:

I do agree with you to a point, but another point would be owning the company is the best way to ensure that it will always follow a path that you want it to go down. I understand that Andrew might be only interested in having a job working on technology, but I had thought by his past actions that he would hold on to the game. There is little doubt that he can approve of this company's direction or that he would have taken it down that path either.

What it comes to is the people who started this company no longer have any control over it. The people I had faith in are gone. Tedder, Andrew, Paul, Tytn. Who's left? I mean, who's running this ship?

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Jagex operates some of the gold-selling sites. I probably won't quit until Jagex is finally sold to Disney to die, though.

tbh I think they'd at least fix some of the problems now before screwing up the game worse

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Jagex operates some of the gold-selling sites. I probably won't quit until Jagex is finally sold to Disney to die, though.

tbh I think they'd at least fix some of the problems now before screwing up the game worse

And put Andrew's cryogenically frozen body under Lumbridge? :smile:

Jagex's recent behaviour this year can all simply be explained by investors on the board of directors going 'We want more money.' They don't care about the future of the game, just the future of their wallets. So developers have to go back on promises and spout all this BS almost-microtransactions.

This is ridiculous. Investors are out to make money. Forget whether or not they actually like the game. Their sole purpose for investing in the game is to get greater returns out of it. They have a vested interest in making sure the game succeeds. To say they don't care about the future of the game is asinine. Since the future of the game is tied to their wallets, they sure as hell care.

Edit: On a serious note, I think some of you are being a bit overdramatic. It's not uncommon for founders of a company to sell it off. That doesn't necessarily mean they think the company is "going down". More than anything else, it's probably the founder being tired of the day-to-day operations required in maintaining a business.

MFW people still dont realise jagex is merely a business.

1306543045701.jpg

It's owned by venture capitalists now, simply put, Jagex is nothing more than a flip. High risk, high profitability. Bots, RWT, FT, all decisions that improved profitability of the company.

Deal with it.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

MFW people still dont realise jagex is merely a business.

1306543045701.jpg

It's owned by venture capitalists now, simply put, Jagex is nothing more than a flip. High risk, high profitability. Bots, RWT, FT, all decisions that improved profitability of the company.

Deal with it.

We do. We just think it's a poorly run business.

He will probably be at Runefest.

I wouldn't panic until you read about him leaving the company.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Being a successful business does not mean making it hard for new customers to get into your product and making your old customers turn to different products.

No, but with so many options to pick from if you get right into a game and see autotypers everywhere selling gold you'll bail quickly.

This was all announced in December.

Good to see you've kept informed. :D

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

From a players perspective, yes. From a business perspective, it's brilliant.

I don't think it's good business routinely alienating your core fan base.

The problem is that more and more of thier 'core fan base' are robots playing 24/7. The shifts that Jagex have made have undoubtedly made some players angry and quit, but the shifts also made way for hundreds of thousands more 'players' (bots) to give their money to Jagex. It's good business* to tick off 10 loyal customers if doing so leads to 100 more mindless customers coming to fill their shoes.

*Good in financial terms, which is all they investers care about, not PR.