Jiblix and Ken Genosis Demodded Over Speaking Out

pal2002

I think the contentions raised from both sides are valid for the most part, except both sides are making critical errors in their judgment when asserting some points.

It should be noted in attempting to sort the issue (at least partially) between these contrasting opinions that freedom of speech does not exist on the forums, as stated by RSOF's Code of Conduct. The freedom of dissent being a logical extension encapsulated within the freedom of speech, it follows Jagex is within its rights to punish dissenting players to various extremes as it deems fit. Users within the RSOF are universally bound to a set of expectations which outline proper behavior in the forums, as is the case here.

Forum moderators are free to express their opinions, but as someone else said, if it's very negative, you use another account to express it. If you break the rules to express it, Jagex is within its rights to punish you too. The fact that he knew the consequences and chose to ignore them is his fault. He had the ability to conduct himself in a proper manner and failed to do so. That said, as this thread shows, you can't stop criticism of Jagex's actions.

On one hand, Jagex could have (in theory) handled the problem better, but no one forwarding this argument recently has explained how they would've preferred Jagex to handle the problem in a way they considered appropriate. Further, no one has shown how following such procedures would show real improvement in the forum's policy. So I can't agree if there are no valid examples for me to agree with.

On the other hand, the terms handed down to forum moderators dictating forum behavior are reasonable, given that they're expected to represent Jagex. However, as criticism shows, there may be room for improvement. I hesitate to use this word to describe what needs to be done, though, since people are too quick to label 'faults' within Jagex's PR when certain outcomes are actually intended and reasonable consequences stemming from the system in place. Current justification notwithstanding, inconsistency is irrelevant if forthcoming changes themselves bring about greater positive effect on the player-base than negative, as a rule.

I have no illusions about the necessity for change, though. By itself, although the forums house a considerable amount of the player-base, it has little to no effect on individual game-play, which is part of a separate entity. If an alternative solution to moderation policy can be shown to bring about greater, positive change, Jagex is free to pursue it, but whether this change is truly necessary to implement depends on its impact on membership numbers. I mean, they can continue using current tactics to stifle dissent and not have to worry about dropping revenue as a result , as the game itself isn't affected. It doesn't happen often enough to be a problem. Even then, one can simply go elsewhere if he feels the forums are too harsh to sustain his continued existence.

There are several other outlets to express criticism of Jagex if you fail to follow conduct on the official forums. Why should a change in one forum be necessitated just for two people, who, although they have valid concerns, conducted themselves improperly? Jiblix was shown to have lied about convincing people not to vote for Jagex at GJA. Ken knew the consequences and didn't heed warning.

In short, you may have your criticisms of Jagex, but that doesn't mean a better solution is automatically available. Conversely, that an alternative policy may attract criticism doesn't mean its utility as a method of damage control is infeasible, provided its benefits outweigh its shortfalls. Even if an alternative method is shown to be feasible, is it necessary to transition to it? No, since Jagex is perfectly within its rights to punish as they see fit. Those are the errors I think the two sides faulted on when forwarding their respective arguments.

Edit: Oh lol, police state tactics. I love the alarmist rhetoric and self-victimization stemming from the usual suspects in this thread. :lol: I know it feels good to think you're some sort of a vigilante, but please. Jagex doesn't care about the impression it sends out to players from a few overblown incidents as long as its revenues' sustained. How many members are going to quit simply because some no-name mod was "persecuted" on the forums? Better question, how many have quit from Refer-a-Friend? :lol:

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT? NO! FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND ALL THAT LARK. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. PAL, HOW CAN WE LET THIS HAPPEN? PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PUBLICLY [bleep] ABOUT THOSE THEY WORK FOR! LETS RANT!

RIP Michaelangelopolous

WHAT? NO! FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND ALL THAT LARK. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. PAL, HOW CAN WE LET THIS HAPPEN? PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PUBLICLY [bleep] ABOUT THOSE THEY WORK FOR! LETS RANT!

It doesn't stop one of the guys I work with from bad mouthing our company to anyone who'll listen. Including our clients. <_<

Of course, most of our clients tagged him as a troublemaker a long time ago and don't really listen anymore. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It doesn't stop one of the guys I work with from bad mouthing our company to anyone who'll listen. Including our clients. <_<

Of course, most of our clients tagged him as a troublemaker a long time ago and don't really listen anymore. :lol:

Well, good riddance to both of them, then :lol:

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• 1 year later...

Everything was removed pretty quickly from the RSOF at the time, and anything that wasn't would have been eaten a long time ago by the page 50 monster.

This is a discussion long dead, so I'm locking this.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...