"Progressive Metal"

i_love_burritos

Yeah, so can someone suggest good progressive metal, the inverted commas being present due to some overlap / confusion (?) as to what constitutes progressive metal (I am still not sure).

But yeah, throw some suggestions at me ?

Thanks y'all.

[hide][hide]

[/hide]

[hide]

[/hide]

[hide]

[/hide][/hide]

^ a few songs.

Dream Theater is probably the most known prog band.

Kamelot counts too I believe.

Nightwish has some progressive style songs.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

[hide][hide]

[/hide]

Good call, that was my favourite song from my favourite band for a couple of years actually. Haven't really listened to them in a while but they're good quality.

I don't listen to a great deal of prog, but as a starting point I might suggest Mastodon. They're a really well-known band but with good reason. From my observation a lot of prog metal is made up of ridiculous amounts of time signature changes that serve no purpose other than to make the music sound "complicated", but Mastodon are one of the few prog bands who handle the time signature changes well and make them sound as if they're actually meant to be in the music.

Cool.

If you're also a fan of Power metal, Blind Guardian's newer stuff, especially their latest release, could be considered progressive metal. One of my favorite prog bands is Pain of Salvation, and I'd also recommend checking out Riverside, Adagio, and Spheric Universe Experience.

If you're also a fan of Power metal, Blind Guardian's newer stuff, especially their latest release, could be considered progressive metal. One of my favorite prog bands is Pain of Salvation, and I'd also recommend checking out Riverside, Adagio, and Spheric Universe Experience.

This + Symphony X and Fates Warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PEPArIQ4vA

Arsonists Get All The Girls.

Atleast on the Portals album

Tool is an absolute must, as well.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

From my observation a lot of prog metal is made up of ridiculous amounts of time signature changes that serve no purpose other than to make the music sound "complicated", but Mastodon are one of the few prog bands who handle the time signature changes well and make them sound as if they're actually meant to be in the music.

That's mostly because playing in 4/4 becomes more boring/mundane the more talented you become

77yLQy8.png

Tool is an absolute must, as well.

:thumbup:

One of my top 3 bands right there.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

From my observation a lot of prog metal is made up of ridiculous amounts of time signature changes that serve no purpose other than to make the music sound "complicated", but Mastodon are one of the few prog bands who handle the time signature changes well and make them sound as if they're actually meant to be in the music.

That's mostly because playing in 4/4 becomes more boring/mundane the more talented you become

Though bands that play technical for the sake of being technical can be boring to listen to. Though I can't say anything about specific time signatures, it ends up sounding like the band is trying to show off in the middle of an otherwise good song.

For a Dream Theater example, I love the song "Ministry of Lost Souls", but the solo sounds like they just threw it in because there wasn't anywhere else to put it. A solo or instrumental section like the one in 'Hollow Years" or "Learning to Live" would have probably suited the song better.

Though bands that play technical for the sake of being technical can be boring to listen to. Though I can't say anything about specific time signatures, it ends up sounding like the band is trying to show off in the middle of an otherwise good song.

For a Dream Theater example, I love the song "Ministry of Lost Souls", but the solo sounds like they just threw it in because there wasn't anywhere else to put it. A solo or instrumental section like the one in 'Hollow Years" or "Learning to Live" would have probably suited the song better.

My problem with Dream Theater, especially later DT (Systematic Chaos and BC&SL era) is that it seems like nearly every songs has a guitar solo and keyboard solo, or a solo battle, and for no real purpose other than to have it there. We get it, you can play your instruments.

Ooh, and Devin Townsend.

Ayreon, as well. Progressive metal supergroup-type thing.

Only reminded of him/them by the fact that Devin Townshend was in The Human Equation. :razz:

Ayreon as well, or Star One for that matter.

Into the Electric Castle is an amazing album. My friend is actually making a DnD campagin based off of its storyline.

My problem with Dream Theater, especially later DT (Systematic Chaos and BC&SL era) is that it seems like nearly every songs has a guitar solo and keyboard solo, or a solo battle, and for no real purpose other than to have it there. We get it, you can play your instruments.

It's fine w/ me as long as the solo is melodic. The Best of Times from BC&SL has become my favorite song since I first heard it in 2009, mostly because of its beautiful, climactic solo

77yLQy8.png

Tool are not a metal band. Ignore anyone who suggests Opeth, they suck. ;)

No mention of Control Denied yet? Schuldiner's other band, they played quality progressive power metal. Other progressive metal bands with cleans:

Communic

Fates Warning

Ihsahn

Labyrinth

Queensryche (no mention yet? For shame! Operation: Mindcrime is a classic of the genre)

Threshold

And harsh vocals:

Shining (NOR)

The Ocean (GER)

Dan Swano

Burst

Altar Of Plagues

Arcturus

Code

Enslaved

The Meads Of Asphodel

Nachtmystium

Solefald

Ved Buens Ende

Atheist (fantastic band)

The Chasm

Cosmic Atrophy

Edge Of Sanity

Pan.Thy.Monium

Pestilence (on Spheres)

Portal (very weird)

Also, the guy who mentioned Arsonists Get All The Girls is not your friend. Terrible, terrible, even for deathcore.

^ quality post. Haven't listened to metal in ages but I really should.

Can recommend watchtower, once you get past the vocals they're really good. Also Gorod and Gorguts, though those are more prog death.

2dvjurb.png

Tool are not a metal band. Ignore anyone who suggests Opeth, they suck. ;)

No mention of Control Denied yet? Schuldiner's other band, they played quality progressive power metal. Other progressive metal bands with cleans:

Communic

Fates Warning

Ihsahn

Labyrinth

Queensryche (no mention yet? For shame! Operation: Mindcrime is a classic of the genre)

Threshold

And harsh vocals:

Shining (NOR)

The Ocean (GER)

Dan Swano

Burst

Altar Of Plagues

Arcturus

Code

Enslaved

The Meads Of Asphodel

Nachtmystium

Solefald

Ved Buens Ende

Atheist (fantastic band)

The Chasm

Cosmic Atrophy

Edge Of Sanity

Pan.Thy.Monium

Pestilence (on Spheres)

Portal (very weird)

Also, the guy who mentioned Arsonists Get All The Girls is not your friend. Terrible, terrible, even for deathcore.

You seem like the kind of guy that spends excessive hours on youtube criticizing other people's posts on songs you don't even enjoy :P

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn