Jack Layton dies

obfuscator

Good read, accurate and all.

He's getting a state funeral, which is a slight break from custom but a good choice as far as I'm concerned.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I had the great fortune to see Jack in person while he was on a local stop during the last election campaign. His personality was absolutely magnetic and I had never seen such a charismatic individual in my entire life. What was more, his good-natured character just radiated from out of him -- it was really something to see.

On top of all that was his message - his earnest desire to improve the life of every Canadian - and you could tell that he really meant it. It wasn't just words, he really was the genuine article.

I had high hopes for Jack and truly wish that this tragic loss would never happen, but when I saw him at that press conference, I had the bad feeling that, given his gaunt look, the sound of his voice -- his death was not very far away. I wish I had been wrong about that.

We've lost one of the truly bright lights of our political system -- and Canada is a darker place without him ...

Goodbye Jack, we shall miss you more than you will ever know.

:cry:

nyuseg.png

I had high hopes for Jack and truly wish that this tragic loss would never happen, but when I saw him at that press conference, I had the bad feeling that, given his gaunt look, the sound of his voice -- his death was not very far away. I wish I had been wrong about that.

Yeah, same.

I expected him to announce at some point in the next month that he'd retire due to the cancer being terminal or else really bad, but I didn't expect this.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Yeah, same.

I expected him to announce at some point in the next month that he'd retire due to the cancer being terminal or else really bad, but I didn't expect this.

No -- not within a month. Jack was such a fighter, even though he looked so frail, I had hopes that he'd somehow make it through ...

22 Minutes posted a tribute to Jack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9us099TL50

Rest in Peace Jack, we'll miss you.

nyuseg.png

It's a shame we lost such a charismatic leader today. Those kind of people are extremely rare to find with the capability of fighting to the very end like he did. It really was something else to see him touch the lives of so many and bring the NDP from a small party to the official opposition.

R.I.P Jack

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

I get chocked up just looking at the images posted above, especially magekillrs. The guy was the epitome of Canadians, the fact that EVERYBODY mourns his death and has only nice things to say of him pretty much speaks for itself - he was the best politician I've ever seen in action. He managed to kill Duceppe, that's INSANE! To take a province as sovereign as ours with some of the most hardheaded people in Canada and turn it on it's head... it was remarkable.

I feel so bad that he can't "reap the rewards" of his accomplishments, if anyone was the man to run our country it was him. Now the party is left with nobodys, and will hopefully direct votes back to the Libs. I hope.

hiccup.png

At the Capital Pride parade in Ottawa, an NDP convoy (or whatever you want to call it) showed up and everyone stopped cheering and clapped, it was touching. Not as much as his letter though. He'll be sorely missed.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!