[Discontinued]An Ocean of a Problem

Corvus

Good game. :thumbup:

I look forward to next Sunday, here's hoping I can manage any workload that's thrown at me as school starts.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, very good game.

Truely first rate :thumbsup:

Just need to think ourselves out of this corner we(I) painted us into.

What did I miss (sorry I had to leave, family was insistent).

LNYvk.png

Well...Metagame:

Ok.

Here is the situation:

After you left I convinced the guard to take me to the magic stall, and then discussed things with Augustus for around an hour.

Found out not much of any real use, though there may be as many as 15 people wrongfully accused by him, and he has various equipment worth several hundred thousand Gold...

The line of questioning brough us to conflict, and I (my character) knows there are between one and several people/things behind us, and they are just about to attack us(Huzzah). Not sure what Ross' character knows, should ask Wyvern when free.

Now then, there is no way to find out where the people are being kept, save for capturing the Wizard Alive...naturally difficult because he is a Wizard, and because we are going to be attacked from both sides.

Also it seems that the stall fits people up for crimes, so things could go badly wrong no matter what...so vitally important no one takes anything.

Currently my 2 plans involved fleeing helplessly...or brutally attacking and hopefully subduing the Wizard.

There is one other IMPORTANT thing to notice, and that is that, I believe, based on Wyvern's comments and my own belief's about how I handled the situation...That the Wizard doesn't consider me/Ross to be a serious threat...more of an annoyance who might have pried too close to the truth.

IF that is the case, then we may be able to negotiate ourselves out of this (I am somewhat doubtful of that), but it is significant because there has been hinted that there is more than one wizard involved.

As such if we all blunder in we are showing our hand.

That said, don't let me or Ross die :grin:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Aye, very good game.

Truely first rate :thumbsup:

Just need to think ourselves out of this corner we(I) painted us into.

By 'think' I assume you mean 'stab'?

Don't suppose you have any flares or firecrackers or some such that could be used to call in the cavalry (i.e. the gunner crow and the guy with the knockout scimitar and sleep spells?)

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Fraid not.

However you would, logically, have gone to the merchant over the course of the hour that I and he talked...:

Augustus: Supr-

Loran: IFATREEFALLSINTHEFORESTANDNOONEISAROUNDTOHEARITDOESITMAKEASOUNDHEYWHATSTHATOVERTHERESNEAKATTACK

Augustus: -ise! *Falls to floor cluching face*

Hostiles in the crowd: Oi, You SUPRISE!

Cathran: *Taps one of the hostiles on the shoulder* Guess what...SUPRISE.

Kalan: But...I wanted to shout suprise. :(

Gunnari: *Says nothing, pulls out a gun and shoots at the hostiles.*

Caliber: ...Thats it, I am out of here.

Or you would, logically, depart as soon as you are present in session, since there is nothing else you can do at the bar.

In any event I have learned some important lessons...First:

1) Teams should be comprised of at least 2 active peoples.

2) We need to have designated meeting places, so we have the logical capacity to meet up.

3) We should, at earliest convienance, acquire a device for communicating at a distance.

If you're willing to spring roughly 3250 gold +however much needed for a couple of potions of invisibility I can fairly easily take out this wizard with a bit of prep work. The 3250 gold with buy 3 kegs of gunpowder and oil of silence, the oil of silence lets me silence a gun such as a rifle for an hour. If we can get the kegs of gunpowder close enough the explosion should be enough to kill the wizard, if not then I will plug him with a couple more rifle rounds (preferably with some aid from a handy rouge, before chugging a potion of invisibility and leaving. Another way would be to wait until he's asleep and then coup de grace/ execution check him.

LNYvk.png

I have 27 gp.

And the absolute max time to prepare is 1 hour.

If you and Kalan brought some Oil of Silence I suppose you could snipe him when the session starts...Though we want the Wizard to live, just be knocked out.

Knocking out is harder, quite a bit harder. I can't do all too much that wouldn't attract undue attention without the oil of silence (aside from pistol whipping). It would probably be best to back down and run from the hired help. Let the rest of the party deal with them before coming back prepared and at full strength.

LNYvk.png

Well, I would personally say that you have at most 15 minutes to prepare if you got insanely lucky and made some impractical leaps of logic, with a more reasonable time limit being 10 minutes assuming you were not planning on assassinating Augustus the whole time (which seems exceptionally unlikely). So for the most part you are stuck with what you have unless you want me to roll for the time it takes (for example finding Gunpowder kegs would be 10x1d20 minutes for finding 1d2 kegs due to the rarity of firearms, or finding any specific potion/oil would take 2d20 minutes because even though you are at the Grand Arcana Festival, not every seller carries every item [atleast not at standard rate])

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

If you can avoid it, it would probably be a good idea to not do this in public, guards and all. Damn, looks like I should have bought the garrote wire after all, would have made this one hell of a lot easier. Just keep it quite. Wyvern, have you had a chance to read through the Ultimate combat book yet?

EDIT: Do you have any idea what the hostiles are? Just curious, it won't really affect how I'll deal with them (one of the beauties of firearms is that they always resolve against touch AC in the first range increment (or in the first five range increments in the case of advanced firearms).

LNYvk.png

Couldn't they walk by the Stall, see me already there, know I was probably doing deception, roll perception to see people in the crowd?

Yes, which is where the 10 minute number comes in. As the 1+ people behind you showed up 10 minutes prior to the ambush, and through an insanely convoluted series of paranoia explanations at best they could have been spotted 5 minutes prior to showing up after they left their prevous location

I'm a bit lost, are Gunner and I in the Tavern or by the Wizard's Stall?

If it's the latter, just let me deal with the chump. I should be capable of taking what he tosses and providing a distraction, plus every hit I do builds up his nonlethal damage, and when his HP is decreased to below the value of the nonlethal damage he'll be safely K.O.'d.

Some backup would be nice, of course, assuming he's got equal or higher class levels than the rest of us.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well, that is something that you and Gunnari need to work out for yourselves.

Did you stay at the Tavern, or come looking for the Wizard.

Also, please try not to metagame...try to act in character.

To be honest, I was just being lazy and distracted or else I probably would've been at the stall already. Lazy and distracted in real life, I mean. :P

Whatever Wyvren is okay with. I'd say we've probably at least started walking there.

But yeah. Faith will always triumph over greed and so-on so-forth, the Wizard is probably squishy enough that he won't be hard to deal with anyways.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well, it sounds like this wizard is the leader of a crime ring which may or may not be bribing people of importance. Why else would Roger have thrown a bag of diamonds into the ocean and said that they wont let him get to them?

Regardless, if we are attacked, I am going to defend us.

(Also worked out that I could wield a collosal greatsword with a -1 total to hit as my character is. Collosal greatswords are utterly enormous, something like 50 feet long I believe. I'm not going to, purely because of the cheese factor(And impracticality of transporting such a sword... Or moving while carrying it), but hey)

2Xeo5.png

*pops in*

That's actually not the case in Pathfinder. I thought it was somewhat like 3.5 initially, but there is actually an archetype of Barbarian that specializes in wielding ridiculously large weaponary that has no use past level 12 (well, compared to another Barbarian archetype) because by that level, its reduction of penalties goes higher but the size of the weapon it can wield does not (although, people are expecting errata).

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder's size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. For example, a Small creature would wield a Medium one-handed weapon as a two-handed weapon. If a weapon's designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can't wield the weapon at all.

*pops out*

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well, in that case, I will need to ask Wyvern if my character is allowed to use large weapons, because I would much prefer it if I could keep using my large greatsword with a -2 penalty. I could replace one of my feats with a feat to use them if you would like?

Either that, or I will need to redesign my character.

It's your choice, Wyvern.

2Xeo5.png

Honestly, with the changes they made in Pathfinder, oversized weapon wielding was already gimped, so it's not unbalancing to allow it.

At least that's what seemed to be the overall consensus.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

The entire issue of wielding a large weapon can be easily dealt with using a D&D 3.5 feat that is simple enough:

Monkey grip - You may wield a weapon as though it was one size grouping smaller (large 2h -> 2h -> 1h ->light) at a -2 penalty. (does not function for double weapons or off-handed weapons)

though in order to wield even larger weapons you would need to start messing around with epic level feats you don't qualify for or special class functions dealing with them that I dont know off hand.