Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 28th August 2011

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

More f2p content would be an investment in the game that would yield virtually no return. F2p players aren't an asset to jagex or the game in general, and no one has given a single offensive warrant for more f2p content. There only result is added expense which contributes nothing to the game.

Except that Jagex has been riding their "biggest *free* MMORPG" title for years. Why not give a few things to the portion of the game they advertise the most?

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

More f2p content would be an investment in the game that would yield virtually no return. F2p players aren't an asset to jagex or the game in general, and no one has given a single offensive warrant for more f2p content. There only result is added expense which contributes nothing to the game.

I'm not sure what the added expense to changing a binary from isP2POnly from true to false. Other than the Bury-All, what we usually ask for has already been developed and isn't in use.

Also as Kaida pointed out, the F2P segment gives JaGEx loads of free advertising from Book of World Records among other things.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Aceethan
[ Display Name History ]

Aceethan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Aceethan
I miss the Evil Chicken events :(

Ieyfura
[ Display Name History ]

Ieyfura

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • RSN:Ieyfura
Both articles were very well written. I do agree that f2p needs some more content, and a few little quirks to training skills, (such as the bury x that has been mentioned 9001 times so far).

The Evil Chicken article actually put a little grin on my face. I remember those days when out of no where, he'd pop up and if you didn't have prayer or something to fight with, you were pretty much screwed.

On a side note...am I the ONLY p2p member that wants a Bonecrusher and finds it useful?????
"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.
I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Posted Image

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RSN:i_trollz_u

I'm not sure what the added expense to changing a binary from isP2POnly from true to false. Other than the Bury-All, what we usually ask for has already been developed and isn't in use.

Also as Kaida pointed out, the F2P segment gives JaGEx loads of free advertising from Book of World Records among other things.

Adding extra content on f2p servers costs money, regardless if the stuff has already been developed. It also gives less incentive to join p2p, which lowers potential profit, which also happens to be the purpose of f2p.

F2p obviously has a value to the game, that's why it exists. But adding new content to f2p wouldn't do anything. More things to advertise is useless if it doesn't actually get people to subscribe.

Ieyfura
[ Display Name History ]

Ieyfura

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • RSN:Ieyfura

Adding extra content on f2p servers costs money, regardless if the stuff has already been developed. It also gives less incentive to join p2p, which lowers potential profit, which also happens to be the purpose of f2p.

F2p obviously has a value to the game, that's why it exists. But adding new content to f2p wouldn't do anything. More things to advertise is useless if it doesn't actually get people to subscribe.

This is where they would need to figure out little things to add to satisfy the f2p community, but at the same time, not enough to nullify the benefits of membership. They could get away with the more simple things being added into f2p without sacrificing potential profit, but they do need to add in new things as well. As the p2p progresses, so should the f2p, just more gradually than the p2p.
"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.
I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Posted Image

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
New things for F2P have always been added at a very glacial rate. It's only been recently that they seem to have given F2P more than usual - and then stopped.

Artisan workshop, the urns, the dungeoneering skill, the FOG minigame, opening duel arena to F2P, the Great Orb Project, the canoes, a new quest (Bloodpact), the roach stronghold, the Forinthry dungeon, hellhounds despite dropping nothing useful, corrupt dragon, and plenty more. All these things could have been P2P only and stuck the free game in the early RS2 era.

Be grateful for what you have.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts

New things for F2P have always been added at a very glacial rate. It's only been recently that they seem to have given F2P more than usual - and then stopped.

Artisan workshop, the urns, the dungeoneering skill, the FOG minigame, opening duel arena to F2P, the Great Orb Project, the canoes, a new quest (Bloodpact), the roach stronghold, the Forinthry dungeon, hellhounds despite dropping nothing useful, corrupt dragon, and plenty more. All these things could have been P2P only and stuck the free game in the early RS2 era.

Your missing the point the writer meant. He or she asked for obsolete methods in P2P. For example "Bury-X" for F2Pers. Did not ask for a minigame.

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Minerguy281

I agree with some of the bigger updates like dungeoneering, artisan and fog etc but all of those updates have been over 5 years in fact i am pretty sure duel arena is 5+, so over 60+ months they have given us that which doesnt seem that good to me, the bloodpact is a terrible quest i would prefer if we didnt have it, i have never been in the forinthry dungeon, hellhounds are pretty much pointless, corrupt dragon is very rare
Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

And like I've pointed out before, I'm not going to subscribe so I can ignore the bonecrusher, I'm not going to subscribe so I can use master gop robes, and I wouldn't subscribe for Bury-All. Having these things would keep me around F2P longer, especially when it comes time to grind prayer or runecrafting.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts

Your missing the point the writer meant. He or she asked for obsolete methods in P2P. For example "Bury-X" for F2Pers. Did not ask for a minigame.

That was an addendum to Ieyura's post, not Sees' article.

Obsolete methods and gear for F2P - F2Pers have been asking for things like that ever since the adamant arrow update showed Jagex is willing to rebalance the free game. If it isn't the splitbark for mages, it's the rune arrows they're after. IMO F2P shouldn't seriously ask Jagex for anything apart from a stable game and the continued existence of being free. More than that seems like begging.

And since many members are very selfish when it comes to protecting what they see as theirs, giving away obsolete content might make them go, "And for what reason did I pay members for? Why are my perks being reduced? Hell with this!" Even giving the canoes to F2P kicked up a small outcry.

Having these things would keep me around F2P longer, especially when it comes time to grind prayer or runecrafting.

You're always supposed to pay up or shut up when it comes to faster leveling, which is a pity.

EDIT:

doesnt seem that good to me, the bloodpact is a terrible quest i would prefer if we didnt have it, i have never been in the forinthry dungeon, hellhounds are pretty much pointless, corrupt dragon is very rare

You might think it's not very good, but there are plenty others who do not share the same opinion as you.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
I read the first article and as I often say when it comes to the times, I agree. F2P needs more updates, but sadly I don't think will get many more in the near future. Jagex seems way to focused on making money now...And that means focus on membership and members.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts
I would have to agree with BioIce on this one even thought I am a pur F2P myself. Then again, I think we are all entitled to our opinion, and See's point can be a bit valid for most F2P.

Keep in mind that F2P has come a long way since the game started, I can say that most people on the top F2P list can feel the game is getting easier overall. Bury X would make prayer another AFK skill just like WC, or the recent Artisan Workshop for smithing. Prayer and RC has always been the hardest skill to train for F2P, well smithing used to be since you need a lot of cash.

Not that saying preventing people from developing trigger finger or carpel tunnel deliberately is a good idea, but that's kind of what F2P is about, its suppose to be slow and grueling. You should ask some people who hits prayer 99 how they train in the old days, tons of burying (Franzk being first one to hit it).

I don't mind Jagex tweak little things to make the game more balanced (wildy pk for example), so if they decide to update something they deem necessary, they will do it so to speak.

I would like them to allow some items thats for member be collectable at F2P, maybe herb for herblore. At least f2P can collect them and sell them to members to help some new f2p some extra cash (assume we can solve the bot problem first)

Lastly, giving F2P bone crusher might entice people to macro more, since you just need the bonecrusher in your inventory, and then go hit monster (like goblins) for long time. (I would assume they can do that now with most bot program, but I can see it makes the process a lot easier)

My stance has always been a bit passive on getting new items or content for free 2 play, so I always follow "happy what we get, and don't actively ask for it" rule, to avoid members from complaining too much.
a happy Runescaper

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RSN:i_trollz_u

This is where they would need to figure out little things to add to satisfy the f2p community, but at the same time, not enough to nullify the benefits of membership. They could get away with the more simple things being added into f2p without sacrificing potential profit, but they do need to add in new things as well. As the p2p progresses, so should the f2p, just more gradually than the p2p.

You missed the point - the point is that there isn't any or very little benefit to satisfying the f2p community, and the costs it would take to put more content into the f2p game probably would make it un-worth it.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

You missed the point - the point is that there isn't any or very little benefit to satisfying the f2p community, and the costs it would take to put more content into the f2p game probably would make it un-worth it.

The free version is how they attract new players. Nobody starts as a member, and nobody is going to think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go buy membership", they'll think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go try World of Warcraft". They could give free players some of the things that are obsolete in members, and sure, that means they'll stay free longer, but if they stay longer, chances are they'll be more likely to want to pay for it down the line.

Look at it like any other game. They offer you a free demo, and if it's good you buy it. Nobody is going to believe a company that puts out a [cabbage]ty demo and says "But if you pay for it, it's the greatest game since Ocarina of Time!". They're going to walk away and go play some other free MMO. Let's be honest, at this point, there are a number of free MMOs that could give RS a run for its money if they develop a bit more.

Improving F2P, even if only a little, would probably benefit their bottom line a hell of a lot more than, say, linking the game to Facebook.

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Minerguy281

The free version is how they attract new players. Nobody starts as a member, and nobody is going to think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go buy membership", they'll think "Hm, the free version is missing some things, I think I'll go try World of Warcraft". They could give free players some of the things that are obsolete in members, and sure, that means they'll stay free longer, but if they stay longer, chances are they'll be more likely to want to pay for it down the line.

Look at it like any other game. They offer you a free demo, and if it's good you buy it. Nobody is going to believe a company that puts out a [cabbage]ty demo and says "But if you pay for it, it's the greatest game since Ocarina of Time!". They're going to walk away and go play some other free MMO. Let's be honest, at this point, there are a number of free MMOs that could give RS a run for its money if they develop a bit more.

Improving F2P, even if only a little, would probably benefit their bottom line a hell of a lot more than, say, linking the game to Facebook.

+1
Posted Image

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
Yeah, the only real reasons why I play RS over other games at the moment is:

- Low graphical requirements
- Not being pressured into purchasing expensive virtual crap (which, in most f2p asian mmos, is designed to cheat you of any real benefits unless you pay them even more) in order to play the actual game

There are many, many other free games out there that do provide experiences which don't make you want to punch your own face in right now, and the only thing that stops them from totally competing is that there are a lot of people that are too lazy to upgrade their graphical capabilities in order to play them.

8f14270694.jpg

Neohero1972
[ Display Name History ]

Neohero1972

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • RSN:Neohero1972

Hi

I honestly don't see your point - there is already enough content to keep a F2P going for hours, days and months and adding more content won't increase the number of members.

What will increase the number of members is if Jagex start to do something about the bot population and revise their view on their customers (treat their customers in a decent manner).

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
I'll agree with the above poster in the way that, should jagex want to get more subscribers, new players in F2P shouldn't be immediately confronted with goldselling advertisements... Nor should they, once subscribed, find the exact same mess in P2P...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Hi

I honestly don't see your point - there is already enough content to keep a F2P going for hours, days and months and adding more content won't increase the number of members.

What will increase the number of members is if Jagex start to do something about the bot population and revise their view on their customers (treat their customers in a decent manner).

And this is the first step in that. F2P is a new player's first impression, and right now that first impression is a much higher degree of botting than in P2P and content that is highly outdated, if not broken. If they treat free players decently, those free players might have a better chance of subscribing than if they're ignored, especially since saying that there's a lot of content in F2P is like saying that there's a lot of gameplay in CoD if you play the story 100 times - Jagex got their number of hours in the free game by taking the in game time of the F2P'er with the most time in game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users