ConsoleScape

Toad

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust is technically a spinoff of Eve Online. It is exclusively PS3 and perhaps Vita - the only cross-platform interaction happening is supposedly with Eve players. It won't be for PC.

And Eve Online has had its own share of uproars.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/25/eve-online-controversy-erupts-in-protests/

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I think it's foolish to say MMO's have no place on consoles.

Jagex have said many times the only reason it isn't on consoles is because Sony/Microsoft looked bewildered when Jagex suggested the game had to be free with the option to subscribe.

With the resent changes I wonder if Jagex still feel this way?

The picture in the article is pointing Wiimotes at an Xbox. That bothers me.

Maybe the game would be transformed into something else. That would work better on a console. Which I think would be something completely different than the rs we currently have. Just with the sane name.

35b9enp.jpg

Nintendo systems only?

I don't care enough to try this out to rescue the Wii from whatever dark, dank, and dusty recess I left it in...

Hey JaGEx.

How about you create a huge comprehensive pack of the lore, unique character designs, and (minus pillars) decent storylines RS is credited for, and let someone develop it into a 1st or 3rd person design that actually belongs on a console?

2dgucz6.png

WoW also has noticed a loss in revenue & took steps to counter it. It's not the end. But micro-transactions that directly affect the game are bad.

Cosmetic items with no bonuses or effects in game I would welcome anywhere. Jagex has not shown they are going to implement anything like this, and the refer a friend thing isn't that big of a deal & nor was the loyalty program.

Anyway not sure what it's got to do with this discussion, which is about consoles.

Hmm, that news is rather odd.

There's already a game in development for the Ps3 that's going to be cross-platform; Dust 514 ( http://forum.tip.it/topic/298325-dust-514-mmofps/ ). That will be able to interract with PC users in the same 'New Eden' server. So it's odd that they would say they wouldn't in this, and then do the complete opposite. Unless they're just not telling you all something. ;)

The cross-platform issue completely went over your head.

There's a fair few examples of games on pc and ONE console that can interact, there's no qualms about that.

The cross platform issued raised in the article is specifically about between consoles; nintendo, microsoft and sony won't allow their consoles to interact with other brands of console.

A nintendo game can interact with Wii and DS users, but not with xbox or ps

A playstation game can do ps and psp but not xbox or wii or ds

An xbox game can do xbox, but not wii, ds, ps or psp

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think that's a lot to do with the I'll by an xbox because more of my friends have it, if COD4 was cross platform you could buy the PS3 & still play with your xbox friends. Bad marketing in the eyes of the makers.

Maybe someday, when money doesn't matter..

So if they ever managed it, would it have to be PS only serves, xbox only servers.. Sad day really.

Edit: I guess things like friends list would come into play then also thinking about it, would they be allowed to state which sever they're on.

If not should they be allowed to share in the marketplace, or have their own? Basically creating a new RuneScape. I think it's down to console makers.. Because RS can't be cross-platform interaction unless they allow cross-platform in some form or another.

Hmm, that news is rather odd.

There's already a game in development for the Ps3 that's going to be cross-platform; Dust 514 ( http://forum.tip.it/topic/298325-dust-514-mmofps/ ). That will be able to interract with PC users in the same 'New Eden' server. So it's odd that they would say they wouldn't in this, and then do the complete opposite. Unless they're just not telling you all something. ;)

The cross-platform issue completely went over your head.

There's a fair few examples of games on pc and ONE console that can interact, there's no qualms about that.

The cross platform issued raised in the article is specifically about between consoles; nintendo, microsoft and sony won't allow their consoles to interact with other brands of console.

A nintendo game can interact with Wii and DS users, but not with xbox or ps

A playstation game can do ps and psp but not xbox or wii or ds

An xbox game can do xbox, but not wii, ds, ps or psp

Oh, someone jumped the gun a bit mouch there, eh?

Apparently I mis-read, but that's not crime. No need to reply with a [cabbage] post like that in the future - cheers! I'm capable of picking up a mistake myself. This is essentially them starting as they aim to go on. They don't have to only launch with all three consoles. They could simply launch with Sony, at some stage other companies might see the sense in it. It didn't go "Over my head", I just read it differently: If was 3am. Nor was I aware of other games which are cross-platform at this time.

Dust is technically a spinoff of Eve Online. It is exclusively PS3 and perhaps Vita - the only cross-platform interaction happening is supposedly with Eve players. It won't be for PC.

And Eve Online has had its own share of uproars.

http://massively.joy...ts-in-protests/

It's a game using the basics behind the worlds on Eve and bringing a whole new element to it, an FPS. Being developed by the same company, it can only serve to make the current, vehicle-based game more dynamic. An MMOFPS on this scale, cross-platform and all that jazz hasn't been seen before. It's not j copying the current game, but bringing a whole new element to it that will invite a lot more players who rather console gaming over PC.

It's a Sony exclusive due to the limitations with Microsoft, "The main reason why we couldnt go with Xbox 360 was the Xbox Live system; [...] when we wanted to introduce this game in the same environment as Windows PC it had to be PS3, so that was our choice. Microsoft has a different point of view: they want to have a closed environment for Xbox Live. [...] We couldnt come to an agreement on Xbox Live." <- This point is also applicable to why Jagex can't bring RuneScape to the Xbox, because not only will they not allow cross-console, but not cross-platform.

"EVE Online, a massively multiplayer space simulation with a vast economy and thousands of star systems where player-controlled corporations and pirate clans are constantly trying to expand their influence. Through a little bit of cross-platform, cross-genre wizardry, the PlayStation 3 shooter Dust 514 will be tightly integrated with the overall events that transpire in the PC-only EVE Online."

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Dear Jagex,

It's nice to see RuneScape is expanding to consoles.

Unfortunately no one's going to want to play it,

Unless you do something about the goddamn bots.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

Dear Jagex,

It's nice to see RuneScape is expanding to consoles.

Unfortunately no one's going to want to play it,

Unless you do something about the goddamn bots.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

I'd have no problem trying to play it on the Wii.

The whole point of it is to be free, as it already is. That alone is going to encourage people to give it a shot.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

You cannot get cross-platform gameplay when Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are in fierce competition with each other if the screaming fanboys you find everywhere backing up their purchase weren't enough of a clue. Gerhard's chasing after a pipedream. Look at what's happened between Steam and EA, the latter began cutting out games from the Steam library because they want to put it up on Origin.

And when the next console comes around, you'll also have to consider if the MMO you're playing in the previous console will be available in one of the next generation. Which at least is what FFXI and Phantasy Star Universe have done by moving to the 360.

EDIT:

The whole point of it is to be free, as it already is.

Keanu wasn't talking about whether the game is going to be free or not. He's stating the free game has the usual big problem: bots.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Cross-Platform will most likely be the future of gaming, so I think Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony could use Runescape as a Guinea Pig. I'd say that RS should be free (the f2p portion), however I think the other game companies have the right to charge membership for using their networks. So to play f2p rs on the 360, you still need to buy xbox live, but to pay p2p rs you'd have to buy xbox live gold & regular rs fees. Also, I'd have to say if they can make rs accessible like it is on the pc, then the only hacks would be client side, not effecting others or giving you a advantage (except maybe a bigger view).

Finally, Jagex could sell in partnership with the 3 big companies. mouses to play via usb/wireless. Perhaps the only hard part would be communicating(typing), but I'm sure ps3/xbox already have mouses/keyboards. No clue about the wii.

The wii can have keyboards plugged in via USB. Ive made a few posts on here with the Winternet. :)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

[Mod Edit: REmoved bad quote]

Personally I find all 3 consoles have their merits and limitations and suit different game styles differently.

Though there is some overlap between xbox and ps obviously and there my choice is based on price + if its got online play which set of friends is likely to buy it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

lol the wii.. that's pretty gay man who has a wii?

xbox please

A lovely example of the side effects from competing game systems.

Cross-platform between consoles won't be coming any time soon.

Personally I find all 3 consoles have their merits and limitations and suit different game styles differently.

Though there is some overlap between xbox and ps obviously and there my choice is based on price + if its got online play which set of friends is likely to buy it.

Last time I checked the consoles were like this:

Wii = Own kind of gameplay and original characters/games, most of them being adventure games, also fun for kids and families. Graphics have been neglected for a long time to keep the game cheaper.

PS = mostly sports and racing games with also a few adventure games, top notch graphics.

Xbox = mostly shooters and fight games, no idea what kind of other games it has (because I dislike the system and most of the games).

Could be completely wrong on some points but that is how i compare them, sorry about the lack of knowledge about Xbox :P I rather do not invest time in something I don't want.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

RS on consoles? Not that optimistic. Consoles, as was said earlier, are giving way to smartphones and tablets. We (as a society) already carry machines with us daily that can play well-designed games, so in my mind, slapping RS on a console is going backwards.

If they want to take the market by storm, Android could use more love with some games.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I fail to see why consoles are a step back since mobile gaming exists?

Mobile gaming kinda pre-dates the console boom anyway (gameboy anyone?) and has been a constant presence in nintendo ds, psp etc.

It's an entirely separate market to console gaming; in the same way pc gaming is a separate market to console gaming.

Console gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon, because it's always gonna to be possible to do it bigger, better and more immersing on a console than on a portable device.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Mobile gaming kinda pre-dates the console boom anyway (gameboy anyone?) and has been a constant presence in nintendo ds, psp etc.

It's an entirely separate market to console gaming; in the same way pc gaming is a separate market to console gaming.

Console gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon, because it's always gonna to be possible to do it bigger, better and more immersing on a console than on a portable device.

I'd say PC gaming is just a different segment of the console market. The games are very similar, and the only reason we treat them as different is due to the TV and the general standard positioning of the gamer vs the screen/display.

Consoles are far field view, while computer games are generally up close.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Consoles will fade out after a few generations. There's no real reason that we need them anymore (apart from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo insisting that we do). It won't be too long 'til we download games straight onto out T.V.s that are basically giant tablets. All the necessary components to read & play the games will be built into the T.V. That's how I see the future playing out, anyways.

Back onto topic, I don't think the console is the way to go. Handheld systems and smartphones/tablets have much better for a game like Runescape. And if the free-to-play version of the game will be accessible via the consoles, something needs to be done about the botting problem in f2p. Needless to say, new players logging in to see gold spammers and being unable to gather resources or kill basic low level creatures aren't likely to continue to play and eventually upgrade to p2p. If you want more subscribers and their money, you need to craft a half decent game (i.e. fix the so many rampant problems RS has).

Consoles will fade out after a few generations. There's no real reason that we need them anymore (apart from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo insisting that we do). It won't be too long 'til we download games straight onto out T.V.s that are basically giant tablets. All the necessary components to read & play the games will be built into the T.V. That's how I see the future playing out, anyways.

Back onto topic, I don't think the console is the way to go. Handheld systems and smartphones/tablets have much better for a game like Runescape. And if the free-to-play version of the game will be accessible via the consoles, something needs to be done about the botting problem in f2p. Needless to say, new players logging in to see gold spammers and being unable to gather resources or kill basic low level creatures aren't likely to continue to play and eventually upgrade to p2p. If you want more subscribers and their money, you need to craft a half decent game (i.e. fix the so many rampant problems RS has).

I would agree but tv/vhs combis and tv/dvd combis were and still are the over-priced not made by big brand items that have a tendency to **** up.

They never managed to make the VHS and now DVD/blu-ray player redundant, so I don;t see why the games console will go that way anytime soon; especially given the nature of a games platform.

Plus if tvs had it built in, each tv maker would end up with slightly different games engines that couldn't run every single game anyway, so it would only make a specific console useless. Eg sony tvs could intergrate a PS, but it wouldn't run wii or xbox games.

The chances of 1 universal platform being forms and shared between all tv companies is quite slim.

Then there's the factor TVs aren't concerned with that tech at all yet; internet tv, on demand services, streaming, hd and 3d yes but no signs of gaming interest. Plus they keep wanting to and making tvs thinner and thinner; games consoles need space for storage etc and get hot so need collants etc which wouldn't fit in the slim line tv.

And parental control issues; games and consoles can be confiscated easily..but if its in the tv itself its harder to use it as a punishment would likely make it an undesirable move to a large slice of the gamer market.

Maybe some day, but I can't see it happening any time soon at all.

Plv6Dz6.jpg